2915 M St. NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theguardsrestaurant-dc.com/
- Phone: 2029652350
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: COME JOIN US FOR THANKSGIVING CELEBRATION
JUST $14.95 CHECK THE MENU IN OUR WEB SITE www.theguardsrestaurant-dc.com
A word from The Guards
'..an oasis of tradition in Georgetown..'-The Washington PostContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Guards reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food was rather blandOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2012The food was rather bland and my prime rib was over cooked. I asked for medium rare and got medium-well. I don't know if our waiter was new, but due not get the same reception as other patrons did with other waiters. It was kind of dark and old in the restaurant. We tried a new spot and it didn't pan out.
- Worst meal I have ever been served.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/7/2012I eat at restaurants 4-5 nights per week so to be worse is very very bad. I ordered oysters Rockefeller and prime rib rare. The oysters were flavorless with an odd texture. Almost as if the oysters were chopped. The prime rib was served as I was about half way done the oysters. The rare prime rib was a grey dry piece of meat that looked more like card board than beef. As it was served, I reminded the waitress that I ordered this rare. She explained that it was the last piece and if I wanted to order something else she could have it ready in 20 minutes but suggested that I try it. I will not send back a meal after I have started eating it and I certainly would not trust a cook to deliver a good meal after he / she had the gall to serve th
- When planning a night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2012When planning a night out with another couple, The Guards hit me just by the name, and a quick glance at their menu sealed the deal. The old-style pub had a wonderful feel with an eclectic music selection that was perfect for relaxing and enjoying a good meal with friends. The oysters were delicious, as was the veal oscar, and the steak on the daily menu. On top of the delicious food, I was greatly appreciative of the cost; we definitely got more than what we paid for. I will definitely be returning to this restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- Good food and service. Value181160VIPDined on 5/8/2012Good food and service. Value for money. Will be back!Special Features:
- Disappointed in classic restaurantDrMikeDined on 4/29/2012For a steak restaurant, their beef was tough and not very flavorable. I had prime rib, and my wife had tenderloin. we both had the same experience. It takes a lot for me to complain, but I thought I should pass this on to others.
- Nice pub atmosphere. Not exactlyKennethVIPDined on 4/23/2012Nice pub atmosphere. Not exactly what I was expecting but comfortable.Special Features:
- The prime rib and ny stripluvfoodVIPDined on 4/15/2012The prime rib and ny strip were delicious. Hummus was good but tasted store bought. The ceaser salad was drowning in dressing.Special Features:
- Excellent experience. WeDJB73VIPDined on 4/11/2012Excellent experience. We both ordered double cut prime rib on the rare side of medium rare; one was done exactly that way, the other was more on the medium side. Salad came with the entree, so it was not eaten nor charged for. Ambiance was great; we had a table by the window so we enjoyed the street sceneSpecial Features:
- Saturday night and the restaurantTKB1VIPDined on 4/8/2012Saturday night and the restaurant was empty which significantly cuts down on the ambiance. The food and service were fine, however
- Enjoy the decor. Just wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2012Enjoy the decor. Just would have preferred not to hear the 8 person party's across the room as well as I heard mine. Would have good if the hostess had noticed that and sat us in a different part of the restaurantSpecial Features:
- Still a nice place, but IJuanjoVIPDined on 3/30/2012Still a nice place, but I got the feeling that is getting slightly worse than months ago...stakes not that good..do not know if it was a bad day for the kitchen. I will, anyway give it another try.
- I had the Gryphon burger,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/26/2012I had the Gryphon burger, which is a burger stuffed with cheddar cheese and bacon. I made it about halfway through before I realized that the center meat was almost uncooked, while the outside was burned. I should have sent it back but I was already pretty full, and the fries were delicious. My friend said his NY Strip was good. When the server breezed by to ask how everything was, I hesitated but she didn't really expect us to say anything other than that it was fine so kept on moving. The space is pretty cool but I don't think I'd come back for dinner.
- Meh. Just meh. Steak not particularOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/14/2012Meh. Just meh. Steak not particularly delicious, service not particularly great.
- We had an anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012We had an anniversary dinner that was very relaxed and comfortable. Ordered Prime rib and Cordon Bleu. Both dishes were served in a timely manner and were very good. The service was attentive without being overbearing.
- The were six picky eatersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2012The were six picky eaters at my table and everyone enjoyed the meal and left with a smile. No complaints. This is not a super high end restaurant however the offerings were well prepared and appropriately seasoned. My dining partners have added The Guards to their list of restaurants to visit whenever work brings them back to the DC.area.Special Features:
- Good food, good service and181160VIPDined on 2/15/2012Good food, good service and reasonable prices. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great meal and experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Great meal and experience, especially for the price.Special Features:
- While our server was apparentlyYergsDined on 2/11/2012While our server was apparently on her first day, we still had a nice dinner. For a Saturday night it was relatively empty, which was nice, having just sat through a movie. Though I've seen more authentic, they do have traditional British food. Good eats.Special Features:
- Affordable prices, good food,MNeatingDined on 1/29/2012Affordable prices, good food, and fit for kids. The scallop special was tasty.Special Features:
- The Prime Rib was over cooked,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/2/2012The Prime Rib was over cooked, and very salty. The waiter try to make things better, but there wasn't a lot he can do.
- Enjoyed the fireside dininglibrarian73VIPDined on 12/27/2011Enjoyed the fireside dining and appreciated the wine special. Would return!Special Features:
- Nice place for two to sitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2011Nice place for two to sit by a fire and have an enjoyable meal. Service was great, personnel were attentive and meal was of good proportion. Will return.Special Features:
- Seating is too close. A coupleSteveFVIPDined on 12/18/2011Seating is too close. A couple was having an arugment sitting next to us and it made us uncomfortable. We left early.Special Features:
- Decent restaurant but nothingdjinDined on 12/14/2011Decent restaurant but nothing really attractive that would lead one to pay a second visit.
- The best thing going for TheOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/23/2011The best thing going for The Guards is price and location. I have never had worse Oscar Rockefeller before. And although the entree special of sausage and lamb was tasty and plentiful, it seemed to have been cooked by a new bride rather than a Georgetown restaurant. However, the restaurant had a steady stream of guests on a weekday, so they must be doing something right.Special Features:
- Very nice place. The 4 ofMagsDined on 11/9/2011Very nice place. The 4 of us had different steaks on the menu. All were delicious. Crab cakes were delicious as well. Very comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Service is excellent. I missOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/5/2011Service is excellent. I miss the steak tartare that used to be on the menu.Special Features:
- As a woman eating alone, itSsakyVIPDined on 10/18/2011As a woman eating alone, it often amazes me how restaurant staff still ignore single women which is what The Guards did. In addition my lemon drop arrived as straight vodka with a wedge of lime. The food was ok.
- Went with my boyfriend hisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011Went with my boyfriend his steak was cooked to perfection. I had a chicken cordon bleu which I ate every bite, drizzle and spill of. A little busy inside and cozy quarters but I would return.
- A hidden gem for brunch inCmsbeltVIPDined on 9/25/2011A hidden gem for brunch in Georgetown. Extremely reasonable prices. A choice of cozy seating in a dark pub atmosphere or in the bright sunlight atrium.
- I had a most enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2011I had a most enjoyable meal at The Guards. Would recommend it.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meal the TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2011We enjoyed our meal the The Guards. I got the veal (very tasty) and my son got the burger. Service was great. Very nice Georgetown location.
- There steak is pretty good,RichardDined on 7/15/2011There steak is pretty good, but service is not so good since waitresses and staff do not understand English well. Ambience needs a lot of work.
- This was my first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2011This was my first visit to The Guards. My 2 other guest thought this was a very good choice for first timers. The service was great, location was great and the Veal was fantastic.Special Features:
- The decor of the place wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2011The decor of the place was appealing to me and looks like a nice traditional pub restaurant. However, once you get past the charming looks, there isn't much else there. Did not get a very welcoming feel from our server, in fact, it felt kinda awkward. Definitely do not order the calamari as it was way over cooked and barely tasted like anything. The menu boasted of their amazing prime rib so I ordered it and, while it was not bad, left something to be desired for something that is suppose to be one of their signature items. I got the feeling that this place would make a great place to stop for a drink, but not so much for dinner.
- Front tables are good forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2011Front tables are good for people watching. Food was good - not excellent. The lamb kabobs were supposed to come with "spanish rice"... which is a tomato-based rice... and it had no tomato base... only peas and carrots and no flavor.Special Features:
- I will return...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2011Great place to have a good dinner and be able to carry on a conversation. Attentive wait staff, wonderful decor and a nice experience all around.Special Features:
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/2/2011The food was very good and the service was too. I loved the ambiance of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Needs a better ChefjackieVIPDined on 4/11/2011The only good thing about this restaurant is it's 1,000 points and Georgetown (DC) location
- The food was average for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2011The food was average for brunch and the service was terrible. Our waitress had a hard time trying to understand our order. I wanted French Toast, which is usually on the menu, but she kept on asking if I wanted French bread. The food was average for the cost of the food. I would not come back here for brunch.