1611 Lamar St.
Houston, TX 77010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegrovehouston.com/
- Phone: (713) 337-7321
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am; Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm,Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Robert Del Grande
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Green Room: Accomodates up to 30 people Primavera Room : Accomodates up to 100 people Vista Room: Accomodate up to 110 people Treehouse: Open air space that accomodates up to 120 people.
A word from The Grove
The Grove is the new signature restaurant in Houston’s Discovery Green Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Grove - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Grove reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (64)fit for foodies (56)good for groups (52)special occasion (46)great for lunch (42)hot spot (37)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (31)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (24)great for brunch (22)late-night find (11)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- MikeyDined on 11/19/2014Great place. Great food. Very noisy. We wish they had a smaller portion size steak like 4-6 ounces. Once you add a salad or appetizer to the complimentary excellent olive and almond starter to the big steaks that is a lot of food. Good place to meet for downtown events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014We were brought our bottled beer with no glasses - we were served our food and had no silver ware and our sides we ordered were cold and asked the manager to remove from our table and bill.
- Great foodjanetinbuhlDined on 11/11/2014The Grove had great food and an interesting menu. Our service was great to begin with, but as the restaurant got busy, we were largely forgotten. Our waiter was also serving a large group, so we could see what the problem was. The Grove was a little noisier than we like--as is the custom for the hot spots today--so it was hard to hear each other. Still, it was a fun experience, and I would try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceTheFivebBDined on 11/8/2014Perfect pairing and mixing ingredients like Café Annie cuisine has been doing for years. Kind of noisy but it became quieter and quieter when Rockets, House of Blues, misc theaters..... etc fans were leaving ! and we were able to have a nice conversation. Service was not too great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations less reality ,,,,AnnieluvDined on 11/2/2014I love this place but this visit the food and the service weren't just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent downtown restaurant choice. Bone-in ribeye was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We came in to Houston for the quilt show and we wanted to experience a piece of the city and we felt like we did just that. The Grove is pricey but worth every bite to us. The steak was mouth watering and seasoned just right. Service was exceptional! Thank you for sending a trip to the top!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughdinner4twoVIPDined on 11/1/2014It was good enough that I will likely return. Been there before and had the corn beef sandwich. This time I had the fish taco's and they were excellent. Just could have used a little more of that tasty fish. Started with the cheese plate and bread. Again very tasty. The food alone would not justify the prices (moderate) but with the location on Discovery Green and all the windows it is certainly worth it.Special Features:
- Great food but loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014We enjoyed the food and wine but it was difficult to hear. It may be due to the beautiful high ceilings. Would go back but probably at an off-hour. Our reservation was for 8:30 on a Friday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014My friends and I come to The Grove every year during Quilt Festival and I have come several times with my husband throughout the year. As quilters we come because of convenience. I was there 3 times in the last week and have decided not to come again for lunch because it is just way too noisy to try and communicate with others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!Ab004VIPDined on 10/30/2014Fantastic atmosphere & the waiter was simply wonderful!! Food was delicious & really uniqure flavors! Was very pleased!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the GroveyumKapDined on 10/30/2014Really delicious food. Four of us had the filet, and one had the soup and salad. All of us were delighted with not only the food, but the service. I wish I lived in Houston - I'd hit The Grove once a week!Special Features:
- Not returningFrankGrannyDined on 10/28/2014We have been enthusiastic customers since our first visit when The Grove first opened. The food never disappointed and the service was always good. They also haven't had much competition where they are located. After this last visit I hope that more restaurants appear as we don't intend to return. They had changed their menu three months ago and we had problems finding anything that was appealing and not overly expensive. We had very good service and without that the meal would have been a complete disaster.Special Features:
- Great serviceCkbrasilDined on 10/27/2014Went with my wife for our anniversary. Nice atmosphere, food was great and service was excellent. Waiter even remembered us that we would have a complimentary dessert - I hadn't mentioned anything to him, I just put a short note in reservation through Open Table a that was very kind. Too noisy though, wasn't as intimate/romantic as I thought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth repeat visitQuilter49Dined on 10/27/2014Noise level very high, lights too dim inside, difficult to see food. Server knowledgable about entrees. Service good, food tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festival at the GroveQuilterDined on 10/26/2014I come every year during Quilt Festival. Mary was great at serving the crowdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor diningDinerXDined on 10/26/2014Really enjoyed the outdoor dining for lunch. Server friendly. Mistake on bill quickly remedied. Food tasty. Close to the hilton with an overlooking park view. Good lunch on a pretty fall afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent food, poor servicecah84Dined on 10/25/20141. The location is great, with a huge window looking out on Discovery Green. 2. The food was good. At our table of 6 there were no complaints. 3. The service was not good. People were nice, but not on top of their game (had to order with another waiter because ours was nowhere to be found. Items like salads came out at odd times, like long before the appetizers). 4. The prices are high (expected given the location), but that makes #3 completely inexcusable. All in all we had a good time, but will probably not be back.
- Dining with a viewFoodieFromSoTXDined on 10/21/2014We had the grilled salmon arugula salad. I loved it, even though the salmon was cooked more than I requested. The salted almonds provided before the meal were delicious! The glass panes around the dining area provided a beautiful view of the park outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but expensive.HereforOprahDined on 10/18/2014Dinner was great, food was fabulous! Service was prompt and friendly. Everything was great except the price. Oh, and the ladies room has only 2 stalls!!!! We ate on a Saturday nite and there were at least 10 women waiting in line for the 2 stalls! So tacky for a really nice restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grooving at the GroveRondaGDined on 10/18/2014What a cool restaurant! Food was great but service was better! The pumpkin dessert was outstanding! We all loved it!Special Features:
- First and not last!Food4thoughtDined on 10/18/2014What a fantastic restaurant! The food was absolutely phenomenal, service was great, and the drink list was unbelievable.Special Features:
- Had reservations.. GreatGrandmaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Was able to have five people seated quickly during Oprah event..great food presentation..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedNeicyDined on 10/17/2014My filet needed seasoning, it was tender but no flavorSpecial Features:
- FabUlous.GaynellVIPDined on 10/11/2014I took my daughter-in-laws and granddaughter to The Grove for dinner to celebrate their birthdays and before the Katy Perry concert. What a fabulous time! The food was wonderful and the service was the best ever!Special Features:
- triplemthreatDined on 10/11/2014We had very special lunch with an old friend. The atmosphere is perfect for visiting as you can actually hear eachother talk. The food was very good and priced right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall greatDave2881Dined on 10/7/2014Excellent food and atmosphere, mediocre service, still a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Good food but a bit pricey for what one receives. A bit loud at brunch on Sundays even though the place was not packed.
- DowntownerDined on 10/3/2014Wish they had a few vegetarian options...even just one. Everthing is heavy duty meat and fish, and some of it pretty unhealthy. Even my heavy meat-eater friends lament this lack and as a supposedly LEED-certified and sustainable establishment it's sad that the menu is so...exploitive. Another concern is the kerosene table lamps...hugely polluting (kerosene fumes, and combustion particles and gases). I can only tolerate two hours there before I'm stopped up and wheezing a bit. Goes away when I leave but I worry about the staff and certainly anyone with heart disease or asthma. Love the deck and the trees and the location. The service is generally good although occasionally a little arrogant. Terrific addition to Houston but could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 10/2/2014The service was sporadic and not at tentative. The food was not attractively served and not tasty. The noise level was disruptive.Special Features:
- Great for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014They sat us by the window, as requested. Great for a quick but nice business lunch. Good food, great atmosphere. Modern and not stuffy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014For lunch, it took way too long for the food to arrive. I had to ask the waiter to please check on the meal, and also had to ask to see why dessert was taking so long. Well over an hour for lunch.
- Wasn't so badvyrgrl1Dined on 9/25/2014The food was good, service lagged at first, then picked up, Loud, loud really loud; more than 'energetic'. But over all , it's a nice downtown eatery.Special Features:
- BaronMarbotVIPDined on 9/25/2014The restaurant was too noisy to be enjoyable and the server was not able to keep up with his tables. This place gets very busy on concert nights and did not seem staffed to keep up.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Had a great lunch for 4. It was intimate and easy to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I expectedFDHUDined on 9/23/2014Previous reviews were not very positive, but since I was staying just across the road at the Hilton, I thought it worth a shot and everyone in the party enjoyed it. It's an interesting place, and the food and service were quite acceptable. My main course was gulf fish in parchment paper and it was good. I particularly liked the leeks. The apple crumble desert was a little strange since it was heavily loaded with thyme - way too much The noise level is high, but unfortunately it's hard to find a place where it isn't . By all means try it out. It's differentSpecial Features:
- DisappointedFoodieDined on 9/21/2014I went for Sunday brunch and wasn't impressed.There was nothing spectacular about the food. I ordered the smoked brisket and was disappointed. The meal wasn't worth the price. I don't plan on returning.
- Nice place for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014Went for a Sunday brunch; the park was full of folks enjoying the day. Our server was attentive, the food had a different take on familiar themes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Nice decor, good wine list. Interesting mix of people (travelers, families, show goers, girls night out parties), snobbish service (We aren't regulars but had a reservation. The table we were offered was in the very back, between the party room and on the path to the bathroom. When we asked to be moved to the window table, we were informed that none were available and hostess started staring in her computer so intensely that we decided to go check out bar area, where we ended up staying). Food is just ok for being priced that high. Both of us had shrimp and grits and both plates were way over-salted. Overall, the place looks more like a trendy happy hour/people watching place than a food establishment.Special Features:
- Very Happy BirthdayTravelingTasterDined on 9/9/2014My friend and I celebrated my birthday here having never gone before we didn't know what to expect. The interior is so well put together especially in the Bar lounge! We adored the couches haha. The service was amazing our Server was so nice and a good conversationalist. We loved the starter and entree but their Tiramisu took the show, and I'm not even a Tiramisu fan so that left an impression on me. I recommend the Champagne Mango Cosmo it was a nice drink to sip on throughout lunch. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.