33 Aulike St.
Kailua, HI 96734Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
The Grove - Kailua
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grovekailua.com/
- Phone: (808) 262-2898
- Hours of Operation:
Shady Hour: 3:00P-5:30P, Tues-Fri
Early Bird: 5:30P-6:00P, Tues-Fri
Dinner: 5:30P-10P Tues-Fri
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Fred DeAngelo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Our family-friendly restaurant will focus on using the best local island products, with Chef's dishes reflecting the diverse ethnic backgrounds of his 'Ohana. This new and exciting eatery has given Chef DeAngelo the opportunity to prepare an eclectic menu that is truly personal.
There will be something for every guest at The Grove: hearty comfort foods, sustainably fresh seafood, vegan dishes, as well as healthy entrees for children. Our wines from around the world and specialty cocktails aptly named after places in Kailua, will be the perfect pair for Chef DeAngelo's cuisine.
Your ecological peace of mind will be pleased when dining at The Grove because we are committed to being environmentally respectful and responsible business owners.
The Grove will be a gathering place for families and friends any day of the week.
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
- Doc84Dined on 11/15/2014Dining at the Grove was very disappointing and I will likely not go back. We had been to the restaurant three times in the past and thoroughly enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service. However, this time the menu had been significantly pared to four entrees. We were told that they were trying to transition to a bar-style rather than a fine food/dining restaurant. Realistically, they are transitioning to being out of business. What made it a terrible dining experience was the lack of items available on the menu. They did not have 1 salad and 1 entree available. To make matters worse, they did not have 2 sides (at least what we were told). My wife was told to order a "back up entree" in case they were out of her first choice. Our reservation was at 7pm on a Saturday night, certainly not the time or the day to run out of food! The most bizarre and irritating aspect was that I was told they were out of a particular side but when we left, guests who were seated after we ordered all had that side on their plate. The server was not really concerned about any of this and gave an uninspired apology. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice.
- Good EnergyBreeDined on 11/5/2014The music was great and the staff was friendly but the food was not that good. I ordered the Grove salad and it was wilted and it took a while to get the attention of our waitress to bring the dressing for the salad. My party was almost done with their meal before I could get started. But we still had a good time just being outside in the breeze and listening to the chicken skin music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour TipMitchVIPDined on 11/5/2014Happy hour was well worth it but just double check the prices on your bill if staying pass the happy hr! Our happy hour bill got put in with regular prices until it was politely corrected!Special Features:
- Fresh farmer productsGirlsniteoutDined on 11/1/2014It seemed like they tried to use as many farm ingre as they could in a dish... Tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLOSED MONDAYalmost ruined my BDAY!TinaDined on 10/27/2014Open table website allowed my partner to schedule my BDAY dinner for 5; THOUGH THE RESTAURANT IS CLOSED ON MONDAYS! KALAPAWAI saved my birthday evening dinner by seating us immediately.
- Never coming back. Terrible food!oahueatsDined on 9/27/2014I'm compelled to write a review because the food here was awful. We had the poke, steak, and chinese braised beef short rib, which were some of the most expensive items on the menu. Not only did it take awhile for our food to come out (in a not so busy) Saturday night, when it did, it looked very unappealing. As a caveat, I'm not a good cook and I can present my steaks better than this for two times less the cost. This place is trying to be fancy and came up way short. This place is NOT WORTH THE PRICE. Also, there is no air conditioning and the waiters are all sweating. Our waiter was nice, but his politeness could not make up for the TERRIBLE food. We will not be back.
- nice dinnerMegsDined on 9/21/2014This time we had a nice dinner as service was way better than before. It was very empty and I am not sure if it was because it was a Sunday night or if something else was going on but we noticed that Baci and Assagios had way more patrons than The Grove. The food was great and I left happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best poke aroundsylverwheelDined on 9/17/2014Great find with great service and the beat poke. Came back for desset and love the "coffee and donuts"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT NIGHTJessicaDined on 9/16/2014The service was great. The food was good as well. It is getting better and better every time i come back. But the main reason that i come back is the service. You feel really important to them and they are very aware of everyone there.Special Features:
- Great for socializing after work...MrdrDined on 8/29/2014I have been to this restaurant on a couple occasions and have not been let down by the food at all. The food is delicious and the staff is helpful and attentive to your dining needs. Probably a good place to do dinner and drinks with a group of friends after unwinding from the work week. Family friendly inside, but I think the best seats are outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!LisaDined on 8/24/2014This is definitely a restaurant that you want to either eat outside or at the bar. The restaurant itself does not have much of an atmosphere. The food was very good. Our server was good but had too many tables and was going as fast as he could. He did have a "helper" and she did an outstanding job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it.HungryManDined on 8/23/2014In Kaiua Town, a nice off the main street venue. We will return.Special Features:
- Great experiencefunandfoodDined on 8/15/2014Shady hour dining (4pm - 6 pm) was fun. We tried many items on the shady hour menu. Our favorites were the salmon dip bread bowl and the truffle flatbread. The li hing mango mojito was great! Our server was friendly and attentive. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatKaneohebudDined on 8/3/2014Their chef always does a terrific job of blending flavors to bring out the best of a dish. The mushroom risotto was absolutely great. Noise level is a bit high inside and lights are a bit too bright, but those things are easily fixed. One of the best Kailua restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service and foodKellyinkailuaDined on 8/2/2014We came here for my husband's birthday and were treated to exceptional, polite, attentive service and a delicious meal, perfectly cooked and served fresh and piping hot. This place is worth every penny - a treat to spend time in the casual environment with top notch service. Will definitely keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but nicelisamwDined on 8/1/2014Like many Kailua establishments, this restaurant almost has it nailed, but is just a little off from "great.". The food is excellent, but perhaps just a little overpriced, and the ambience is nice, but not quite perfect (the temperature was a little warm and the lighting slightly odd with mixtures of harsh and soft light). In general, however, I'd say it's one of the area's better restaurants and has a nice lanai outside with an awesome fish tank inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and missNicoleNicoleVIPDined on 7/30/2014Great staff, nice owners, nice ambiance, food hit and miss. This night my fish was overcooked and tasteless. Also, they need an espresso machine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 346 reviews are from the The Grove - Kailua reviews archive.
- Awesome cheesecake2xMomVIPDined on 7/25/2014Great affordable kids menu & coloring page/pipe cleaners to keep them busy because it took a long time to get our food. Food was ok, dessert was awesome but $145 for 2 adults/2 kids puts this in our "only special occasion" category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedrufusDined on 7/18/2014Ordered the special of the night "Opah". Tough and overcooked!! Plus found big piece of "muscle" (for lack of a better word) and could not put fork or knife through it. Ordered brown rice which was half-cooked. Will not go back anytime soon. Gabriel, our waiter, was quite nice. Would rate him a "10"! We were offered a free dessert which was delicious. The bread pudding was great. Best part of the meal. REally have to up their game if want to be successful!!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014It's a beautiful meany and the decor gives a great vibe that's about all that is positive. The menu dinner menu is every small and is not appealing. When given the options for specials we took the fish. Under seasoned and just about tasteless. EXPENSIVE and not worth the money. $28 for prawns and pasta no thank you I'd rather make it at home for no more than $12. Not a fan of this place. Tried to do something new for dinner and rather would go to California pizza kitchen.Special Features:
- Kailua Fab FoodDaisy18Dined on 7/11/2014We arrived on the early side before there were many tables filled. Everyone was as kind and friendly and welcoming as they could be. We ordered a mushroom dish, the white clam chowder, and Fish Special. Everything was better than expected. Recommend Creme Brûlée .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014The Grove was awesome. Delicious food and great service. Easily the best restaurant in Kailua.Special Features:
- Was not disappointedLaniDined on 7/4/2014Food was great & the service was just as great! Our server made our dining experience memorable and I wish I had gotten her name. We were there 4th of July so it wasn't really crowded - seems like EVERYONE in Kailua was down at the beach waiting/watching the fireworks. The hostess was friendly and professional and all the servers that helped us were all very polite, friendly and professional. I have already recommended this restaurant to a bunch of my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014We have been to the Grove several times over the past couple of years. It seem like this time, they cut back on staff and the waiter was trying to cover several tables at once. It seemed like he was scrambling the whole time and missed a couple of our order items. It wasn't even busy and the service was really slow. We had reservations and when we checked in, we were told by the hostess that it would be a "10-15 minute wait for the server to catch up" - and it wasn't even crowded. There were several tables open with only a few people. Menu seemed like it was cut down also. Not really happy over all. Something has changed there and management needs to address it.
- Hot and wait was too longOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2014The restaurant I'm not sure if the Place lacked ventilation. Should've opted to sit outside but it was a muggy day. Poke and clam appetizer was awesome. The sauce on the poke was slightly too salty but overall great. Clam's soup base was the bomb. Daughter's food came out right away. Water was always offered and filled promptly. Entrees took 30 min. I think our waiter forgot to punch in our orders because after we finished our appetizers, he asked if we wanted to order anything additional so I reminded him of our entrees. I didn't even get to eat my Grove Burger, which wasn't great anyway. I'd opt for a Teddy's burger instead. Also overcharged us for a kid's ice cream so they corrected the bill after we caught the error.Special Features:
- A little dissapointedKailuaFamilyDined on 7/2/2014The grove used to be great for families, because you could go get a good meal, at a slightly higher price, but pay a reasonable price for the kids. Unfortunately this time they ran out of crayons for the kids menus, overcooked the kids meals, can't afford the cost of air conditioning, and don't know how to pipe the local entertainment into the restaurant. Ohana Sunday... you had one job... one job!!!! ;Special Features:
- I Will ReturnkuunakanakaDined on 6/21/2014Enjoyed the dinner specials, miso-butterfish, and the kid's menu, pasta with marinara or batter sauce, and service from the host, who greeted us and guided us to our table, to the people re-filling our glasses with water and taking our plates away as we completed each course. The portion sizes were just right, and left some of us with room for dessert.Special Features:
- Swing & a Missbigkahina2wipedoutVIPDined on 6/20/2014We arrived for our reserved table & waited 10' for the same open table that had been there the whole time. From the beginning, the noise was deafening. It was difficult for us to hear one another, cramping conversation. Service was spotty at best: the waiter had too many tables to cover. Salad or glass of wine ordered never arrived. The "Maine" lobster had not migrated from that state, but the risotto was good. The "prime" rib was not prime & the veggies raw. The noise never abated & further detracted from what we had hoped to be a pleasant experience. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Good food, Service not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014First time to the Grove and we were taking our friends out from out of town. The food was good but our Waiter was not so good. He pretty much stop serving us and made us feel like we had to leave. I would completely understand if they were extremely busy and people were waiting for our table but there were other tables open. Poor service and confused if I would recommend to a friend when the food is good.Special Features:
- Not the best for priceMPJPDined on 5/11/2014Atmosphere definitely needs some work. For the amount paid here you can go into Waikiki and have a romantic dinner at Ruth's Chris. Speakers were not good at all just adding to the noise level in the restaurant. Dinner was good. Did not get 5 star for food as the desert was awful.
- Great ExperienceKaneoheDined on 5/11/2014Service was excellent and the food was of the best we have experienced around town. Will plan to be back soon. Impressive to see the entire staff to be hard at work with attention to details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kailua's best kept secretonogrindsohanaDined on 5/11/2014Awesome Mother's Day experience for the family! The Grove is a keeper. Great quality brunch. Will surely be back regularly.Special Features:
- DebrakailuagirlDined on 5/11/2014Great food. I wish they did a Sunday brunch every Sunday. It was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Pau Hana Place!SNO22Dined on 5/10/2014The Grove is a quaint and cozy but does not lack a vibrant energy. I visit often as I work nearby and their happy hour specials are always appealing. Never been let down by their "fresh catch" special, and their warm brussel sprout salad has a special place in my heart! The staff is friendly and the food satisfies my fancy heart.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceTWLHDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I were seated immediately outside in the lovely deck area on a Friday evening. We arrived with a couple minutes left of the "Shady Hour" (happy hour) and our server made extra effort to ensure we got orders in during this discounted time. The cheese tray appetizer was just okay, but the cocktails, brussel sprouts salad, mushroom risotto, and bread pudding dessert were fantastic. The ambience and service were great, too. I would recommend this place.Special Features:
- shady happy hourILuvKailuaDined on 4/30/2014We were delighted with our martini's - dirty with olives, li hing mui, and lichee. Our waiter gave us several great suggestion from the Pupu menu Grilled Hamakua Mushrooms, Fish & Chips & Chicken Strips. It was fun night.Special Features:
- One of the very best on Oahu.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014Food was fantastic, with tremendous service. So good, in fact, that I went back for a second night even though my time on Oahu was limited. In Kailua so it is outside the chaos of Waikiki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy.JezebelDined on 4/20/2014While the atmosphere is pleasant, the noise level is not. The night we went the place was more than half empty, but we had to keep repeating ourselves over the noise. The descriptions of food on the menu sounded amazing, but the actual food is good, but not great. The food is not organic as advertised and the prices are quite high. Although the waitress and chef did their best to work with my food allergies, the only thing I could eat on the menu was a piece of dry fish and grilled veggies. All in all it was an OK experience, but I'm not rushing back anytime soon.Special Features:
- fantastic food!luvs2shop808Dined on 4/11/2014This is a go to place for any occasion. The service is excellent & food is delicious. The only downfall is the noise. It is a bit loud.Special Features:
- Nice dinner in KailuaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2014Very nice dining experience. Food was delicious. Service was great, if not a little too great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.