The Grove Grill
4550 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38117Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Grove Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegrovegrill.com/
- Phone: 9018189951
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Joshua Perkins
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service catering available for any event from office lunches to multi-course meals and cocktail receptions.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining rooms provide the perfect venue for rehearsal dinners, family celebrations, business meetings, pharmaceutical meetings and cocktail receptions. Seated dinners for 6 to 55 and receptions for up to 100. Chef Jeffrey Dunham also can offer the most unique dining venue in the city. His Dinners "In The Kitchen" have been popular for years and he will set up a multi course dinner paired with wines for up to 30 served in The Grove Grill's kitchen.
- Private Party Contact: Cari Perkins 9018189951
A word from The Grove Grill
Best Shrimp and Grits in town! “American Neighborhood Bistro”, featuring modern southern cuisine. Call it what you like, it's always on Memphis' Best Restaurant list. Restaurant and Institutions Magazines 2004 Ivy Award winner Chef/Owner Jeffrey Dunham and Executive Chef Joshua Perkins use the freshest fish, the choicest meat and locally grown produce to create a menu including Jumbo Lump Crab cakes, Mahogany Roast Duckling, wood grilled steaks, the best oysters the Gulf has to offer, and Chef’s seasonal “Small Plate” menu. Bar Manager Terry Allen maintains a relaxed setting where you may enjoy the full dinner menu along with an extensive top shelf liquor selection and a superior wine list featuring over forty wines by the glass. Private dining rooms for 12 to 55.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Grove Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Consistently DeliciousBeeGeeDined on 1/29/2014We have yet to find an item on their menu that we can't recommend, but I'll admit that my personal favorites are their soups (the butternut squash soup now in season is to die for!), their sweet potato hummus, and any fish or shellfish on the menu. This particular night, I had just soup and salad (the salad special was absolutely heavenly!), while my dining companions had the petit filet (more rave reviews) and the salmon (not a scrap left on the plate). If you've never been to The Grove Grill, it's time to go; if it's been a while since you've been there, it's time to go back. Your palate and your tummy will thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding MealAmandactDined on 1/25/2014I eat out quite frequently and I have to say that it was one of best meals I have had in a very long time. We started out with the pimento cheese appetizer which was perfect for we three women to share. I then chose the shrimp and grits because I had read previous reviews about them. They did not disappoint me in any way...I can not tell you how delicious they were. The portion size was perfect, a niice ratio of shrimp to grits...and the flavor....Magnificent!!Special Features:
- Surprisingly enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014Food was great, decor very nice. Really enjoyed this one.Special Features:
- Excellent birthday dinner!LarryDDined on 11/29/2013During a recent Friday evening (7:30pm) dinner celebration, five of us dined at The Grove Grill. Our reservations were correct, and an early two were seated and drink orders taken before the final three of us joined them. It took the server a few minutes to return and take our drink orders, but not a lengthy wait. We ordered two apps-wood grilled oysters and fried portabellos-both were excellent. All of us ordered different entrees-rotisserie chicken, crab cakes, pimento cheese burger, etc. My crab cakes were cooked perfectly, light and not greasy but very flavorful-served with a creamed corn and a marinated pea salad. There were a couple of times that we had to wait on drink refills, but the food was absolutely fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoritelittleradhenDined on 11/24/2013We dine at the Grove Grill regularly because the food is reliably delicious, everything is elegant, and the noise level is such that one can easily carry on a pleasant conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2013Some of the food items we tried were a bit of an acquired taste, but overall the food was really good and well prepared. Our server was excellent and well informed about the menu items. It was a great choice for my Birthday Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodkathyrcDined on 11/11/2013Really good food. Sat at the bar. Service was really good.Special Features:
- Lunch at the GroveJMP1Dined on 11/6/2013Lunch with a friend at the Grove was very good. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Food was prepared and presented well.Special Features:
- DelishRhodesMomDined on 10/26/2013Food was delectable. Great specials- seafood pasta Lovely squash soupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group DinnerfoodiefunDined on 9/13/2013The Grove Grill has something for everyone. Food & drink selections are not too numbered to be overwhelming but enough variety to keep everyone satisfied. I dined with a group for a special occasion. Everyone at the table enjoyed their drinks and the dishes they ordered. We did a lot of sharing. This created great discussions of flavors and pairings. It made the experience even more interesting. The atmosphere was welcoming as was the staff. We chose The Grove Grill for their consistency and they did not disappoint.Special Features:
- not specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2013Not very impressive. Many more restaruants to try in Mmphis area that are MUCH BETTER.Special Features:
- Perfect Client LunchSouthernBelle517Dined on 9/6/2013The Grove Grill is a perfect spot for a client lunch. The food selection is perfect, service is great and the atmosphere is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2013The Grove Grill fulfills several unique niches and does them all very well. The menu varies slightly with what is in season but has many unique standards that reflect a fusion of Southern cuisine with the flare of an Eastern Seaboard bistro. The venue is reliably one of the best places to take a client to lunch or to get together with dear friends for conversation and celebration. It is equally a lovely place for an intimate supper or brunch. I've attended several holiday luncheons here which left an impression of it having truly been a special occasion. The prices are moderate and the presentation is always very pleasing. I always look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something new...MrShinaultjrDined on 8/28/2013I wanted to try a new place to me for my anniversary and this is the place that we chose. The dining was cozy and comfortable. Justice, our server, was on top of things with attentive service. The smoked salmon appetizer was very good! My entree was the pork chop with greens and sweet potatoes...EXCELLENT! The pork chop was not over cooked but tender and juicy. The greens were better than mine! Lol. We will return in the near future to experience other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service a bit offOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2013I visited Grove Grill for a family celebration last weekend. The food was good as usual but service was not up to snuff, unfortunately.
- Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2013Limited menu, but the food was good. Pricy, so it is not an everyday go-to place for lunch. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Was Very SlowtheycallmepapaDined on 8/10/2013We have been several times to the Grove Grill. This visit, the service was notably slow and excessive waiting time between drinks, appetizers, salads and entrée. We disappointed with this visit and sadly may not return. One of our party ordered a Grove Burger "well done" and it came pink to red. She does not like to return food so she did not complain. Overall the server was friendly & the food was great but the slow service and undercooked burger made for an unpleasant visit.Special Features:
- Great Shrimp and GritsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2013First visit here. Passing through Memphis and a local friend said it was her favorite. Wednesday night late, so, not very crowded and ambiance hard to know. Food and service were nice. Need to upgrade the wine glasses, though. That is a little thing, but serving food a s good as that should not be accompanied by such standard "inexpensive" glass wear. Maybe they have a theft problem. Who knows? Great pork chop with greens and sweet potatoes. Outstanding Shrimp and Grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Grove never disappointshrp2tableVIPDined on 8/4/2013After leaving Memphis as home, we returned to visit family and looked forward to returning to The Grove Grill where we had had so many wonderful meals. It was just as good as we remembered. I had a great Manhattan and then a shrimp remoulade that was just what I hoped for: the shrimp were large, ice-cold, firm and delicious and the two sauces excellent. My entree was a selection of terrific southern vegetables: seasoned corn off the cob, sauteed spinach, potato croquettes and fried green tomatoes- all yummy, though I was surprised to find a sweet glaze on the tomatoes. The Grove will be on our list for all our future visits to Memphis,Special Features:
- The food was quite, guite tastie.JulianDined on 7/20/2013My wife and I had been married for a year and chose the Grove Grill - knowing the food and atmosphere is a novel setting for such an event. Good service, delicious fish and steaks, and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLuvdiningDined on 7/12/2013I was not impressed with my recent trip to Grove Grill! Much better places in town!
- Love Grove GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2013As always, Grove Grill doesn't disappoint. Great food, great service, great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent East Memphis restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2013We were spending the night in Memphis because of having an early-morning flight out of the Memphis airport, and -- not being very familiar with Memphis restaurants -- we looked on OpenTable for a nice place to eat. The Grove Grill wasn't far from where we were staying, and it turned out to be a great choice. Our food was excellent, and the service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East Memphis little secretMphspoliceDined on 6/8/2013Always crowded, but not waiting for a table for 2 hours.. great foodSpecial Features:
- Nice spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2013I had a nice dinner and was able to linger, as I met with a friend and we were able to catch up over a glass of wine and good food. She had the special of the night-tempura soft shell crab-and cleaned her plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great All Around ExperienceLadyMagnoliaDined on 6/1/2013Food was creative and delicious! The ambiance was nice and encouraged lingering. Our server was knowledgable, friendly and attentive enough. Restaurant was hard to find because it sat far back in a strip mall with no signage near the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group lunch and discussionSharonDined on 5/31/2013We brought a group of 5 to Grove Grill for lunch and discussion. This place is perfect for groups since it is very quiet and the tables are spaced nicely so that others are not "in your business". Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- There to celebrate an anniversary.philnpatDined on 5/25/2013There to celebrate an anniversary. Very enjoyable, did not tell ahead about anniversary, but thought they might recognize after we told waiter at beginning of meal. Great food. Would definitely go back. Excellent shrimp and grits, redfish, filet and crab cakes.Special Features:
- Seven of us got together whoFreidaVIPDined on 5/14/2013Seven of us got together who have been friends for 60+ years met at The Grove Grill which we have done for several years. We were disappointed in the food this year. The vegetable plate was nearly impossible to eat and several there who live in Memphis said they had found that to be true the past few visits. We were all disappointed in the food this year. Service was great but is there a new chef? Or are they getting tired at lunch?Special Features:
- Glad Grove Grill has Gone Green!!mphsfoodieDined on 5/11/2013Grove Grill is doing farm to table and it's wonderful. They have always put out quality food and now it's even better. There is something about having a great meal and knowing all the ingredients came from our local farming community. Kudos to Grove Grill for being a great restaurant, a good neighbor, and community supporter. Keep up the great things you are doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a quiet Tuesday night1FineDinerDined on 5/6/2013It was a quiet Tuesday night after work dinner. I loved not having to shout to be heard. There were no complaints on the food, it was great from cocktail/appetizer to dinner and dessert. I would definitely like to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2013Very good food and service. A pleasant experience and a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had my first taste of sweetFeedthatgirlDined on 4/4/2013Had my first taste of sweet potatoe hummus - was just wonderful. Going to try & make it myself. My husband ordered the figs something or other. I thought it sounded terrible - he said it was one of the best appetizer he has ever eaten. The appetizers were the best part of the meal but everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Very good food. Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013Very good food. Great service. The only thing I didnt like was the table. I had called and asked for a table for a special occasion and they wouldnt honor it. I am not a regular at the Grove grill and the hostess talked to us like we were not worthy of our request. Very pretentious attitude toward an affluent customer. Us.Special Features:
- Fabulous Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013Made my first visit to Grove Grill recently for a dinner out with friends after work. The wine line was extensive and they had my favorite on the list- what more can I say? It was very difficult to choose ONE entree with so many enticing choices! We had a fabulous time and service was impeccable. Will visit there again soon!Special Features:
- Best Steak in town, aged andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013Best Steak in town, aged and cooked to perfection. The sauces and soups were outstanding. We had both steak and seafood, perfectly cooked and full of flavor. A southern Cajun flair with sophistication. Top 3 restaurant in Memphis!Special Features:
- It's OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013The service was very good, but the food did not have the flavor or taste for the cost.
- Overall not bad, just not memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013Food was just okay. Quality has slipped in the last few years. We've gone to Grove Grill since the early 2000's. Prices were reasonable but food was average. Short Ribs had little flavor. Overall, not bad, just not memorable.
- The Grove was a good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2013The Grove was a good experience. The service was good and the food presentation was excellent. The wine list was lacking especially in the white category. But over all it was a great evening.Special Features:
- Impeccable ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013The service is what impressed me the most about the Grove Grill. I enjoyed the food, but I enjoyed more how I was treated from entering the restaurant until I left. I have shared my experience with friends and recommended they try the Grove Grill.Special Features: