1611 Lamar St.
Houston, TX 77010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegrovehouston.com/
- Phone: 7133377321
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am; Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm,Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Robert Del Grande
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Green Room: Accomodates up to 30 people Primavera Room : Accomodates up to 100 people Vista Room: Accomodate up to 110 people Treehouse: Open air space that accomodates up to 120 people.
A word from The Grove
The Grove is the new signature restaurant in Houston’s Discovery Green Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Grove - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Grove reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (74)fit for foodies (51)special occasion (44)good for groups (43)great for lunch (41)romantic (35)great for outdoor dining (27)great for brunch (24)hot spot (24)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (20)notable wine list (15)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Great for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014They sat us by the window, as requested. Great for a quick but nice business lunch. Good food, great atmosphere. Modern and not stuffy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014For lunch, it took way too long for the food to arrive. I had to ask the waiter to please check on the meal, and also had to ask to see why dessert was taking so long. Well over an hour for lunch.
- Wasn't so badvyrgrl1Dined on 9/25/2014The food was good, service lagged at first, then picked up, Loud, loud really loud; more than 'energetic'. But over all , it's a nice downtown eatery.Special Features:
- BaronMarbotVIPDined on 9/25/2014The restaurant was too noisy to be enjoyable and the server was not able to keep up with his tables. This place gets very busy on concert nights and did not seem staffed to keep up.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Had a great lunch for 4. It was intimate and easy to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I expectedFDHUDined on 9/23/2014Previous reviews were not very positive, but since I was staying just across the road at the Hilton, I thought it worth a shot and everyone in the party enjoyed it. It's an interesting place, and the food and service were quite acceptable. My main course was gulf fish in parchment paper and it was good. I particularly liked the leeks. The apple crumble desert was a little strange since it was heavily loaded with thyme - way too much The noise level is high, but unfortunately it's hard to find a place where it isn't . By all means try it out. It's differentSpecial Features:
- DisappointedFoodieDined on 9/21/2014I went for Sunday brunch and wasn't impressed.There was nothing spectacular about the food. I ordered the smoked brisket and was disappointed. The meal wasn't worth the price. I don't plan on returning.
- Nice place for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014Went for a Sunday brunch; the park was full of folks enjoying the day. Our server was attentive, the food had a different take on familiar themes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Nice decor, good wine list. Interesting mix of people (travelers, families, show goers, girls night out parties), snobbish service (We aren't regulars but had a reservation. The table we were offered was in the very back, between the party room and on the path to the bathroom. When we asked to be moved to the window table, we were informed that none were available and hostess started staring in her computer so intensely that we decided to go check out bar area, where we ended up staying). Food is just ok for being priced that high. Both of us had shrimp and grits and both plates were way over-salted. Overall, the place looks more like a trendy happy hour/people watching place than a food establishment.Special Features:
- Very Happy BirthdayTravelingTasterDined on 9/9/2014My friend and I celebrated my birthday here having never gone before we didn't know what to expect. The interior is so well put together especially in the Bar lounge! We adored the couches haha. The service was amazing our Server was so nice and a good conversationalist. We loved the starter and entree but their Tiramisu took the show, and I'm not even a Tiramisu fan so that left an impression on me. I recommend the Champagne Mango Cosmo it was a nice drink to sip on throughout lunch. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmandinerDined on 9/2/2014Really good service, nice menu - not too big, not too small. Good modern American food. Great deserts. A lot of thought has been put into the design of the restaurant - the layout, the materials used in the construction, the shape of the dishes. A very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Serene dining experienceHappyBirthdayGirlDined on 8/31/2014Six of us came here for Restaurantweeks. Prompt service, nice table, pretty décor. Overlooking park - serene atmosphere. My friends loved their snapper and pork belly - my quail was delicious, although the black sauce surrounding it was kind of dried to the plate - is that how it should be? Only fault of a lovely 3 course meal.Apparently the chocolate cake was the best my friend had ever eaten.Special Features:
- Not impressedbpkat1VIPDined on 8/29/2014We went for HRW to try this place out. Just curious as we've seen it on many visits to Discovery Green. The view of Discovery Green and downtown was amazing! In my opinion, that's where it stops. The service was not impressive. Our waiter seemed to rush us through the meal, never smiled once even though the place was empty on a Friday night (that should have been our clue). The food was so-so. Not something we would certainly return again for. The salad was soaked in dressing, the entree so spicy even my husband (who is the spicy king) couldn't eat it and the chocolate cake was bland.Special Features:
- Nice lunch with coworkerspnbdinersVIPDined on 8/25/2014Several coworkers and I went for lunch on a work day. It was great - easy to find parking, quick service, and delicious food! The hamburger is a highlight, but it's a lot of food for lunch. The taco plates were also great. The heirloom tomato salad is delicious and substantial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ouchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This is the most romantic restaurant my love and I always go to but the prices are just too expensive so we don't go as often as we'd like. we visited just this past Saturday and spent 200 easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date night!ShanimalDined on 8/23/2014We visited for Houston Restaurant Week and we will definitely be coming back. Our waiter Chris made awesome recommendations and we enjoyed each of our courses. I definitely recommend the pozole and the red snapper.Special Features:
- Food is good but very noisyDebiDined on 8/21/2014Went to dinner with a customer. The food was very good. The quail appetizers were good as well as the green salsa chicken soup. It is a very noisy place though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch Spotguesswho818Dined on 8/19/2014I chose The Grove as my Birthday lunch destination because 1) I've been there before and love the food everytime 2) my coworkers had never been and I wanted to introduce them to something new 3) they had a good Restaurant Week menu. The place did not disappoint. My coworkers loved the ambiance and the food - we started with the guacamole which was amazing - full of flavor and came in a poblano pepper with home made chips - there was nothing left. Then we all had the soup de jour - corn/potato chowder - wow! And for the main dish - 2 of us had the carnitas (yum!) and another the fish tacos - everything was delicious! And they gave me a free peach crisp for my birthday which was awesome as well! I had a great meal and we will go back!Special Features:
- Good food, service not as greatluv2dineDined on 8/17/2014The food was a little different, but good. We went for an 8:00 p.m. reservation. Things were fine until nine, and then the waiter started to rush us. He didn't even offer us dessert, which is pretty rude. We did order dessert, and when the peach dessert came, it wasn't very good and it was still cold on the inside. Other than that the food was very good. I wish they still had the soft, wonderful carrots that they had a few years ago.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/17/2014I went for HRW, and I will never go back. This is my worst experience for HRW ever. I have ordered the corn chowder, and it was not hot enough and just tasted like those I can get it from Central Market. My entree was roasted quail and there was only half of the quail. (Last yr, I went to Ristorante Cavour at the Hotel Granduca, they gave me a full quail) The only thing brighten my night was the berry tart. I have to get a hamburger after my meal. If you think HRW is a discounted menu or doesn't make money at all, please don't participate. I never expect you will stuff me to death, but i expected a reasonable amount of food, not just half a quail. Horrible. A waste of $$$!Special Features:
- Good at a costDaSccopDined on 8/17/2014Great location, good food. Over priced + parking either scarce or expensiveSpecial Features:
- Pleased but slightly disappointedluvdiningoutDined on 8/15/2014The food tasted good but the quantity of food vs. the price was not in the customer's favor. Everything else was on point, just not enough of the main entrée for the price of dishSpecial Features:
- Excellent LunchChuckBDined on 8/14/2014Pleasant location next to Discovery Green, delicious food and polite, attentive wait staff. What more could one ask? Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulpanfilitoDined on 8/12/2014Food was great! Kind of upset that we couldn't have a table upstairs because it is "private" but dinning inside wasn't so bad. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkLBowenVIPDined on 8/10/2014Non traditional brunch menu...favored lunch dishes. Service was slow & had to ask for items several times. Went during Houston Restaurant Weeks & had to ask for special menu twice- waiter said they didn't print very many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linda9Dined on 8/8/2014Service was atrocious and our waiter totally disinterested. 10 min wait for menu, then a further 10 min wait for order, then more than 15 min wait for appetisers. 2 of the 6 entrees had been plated early and were dried out. We were waiting on our deserts and asked for the bill at the same time. When the bill came, we hadn't received our deserts, then we had to ask another waitress to take payment, then they messed up the split of the bill between those who paid cash and those paying by card. What should have been a nice meal before a show was an absolute shambles and we ended up late for our show.
- Great space and location, not foodRichardVIPDined on 8/7/2014Striking space makes great use of location just off Discovery Green and adjacent to Hilton and GRB. Unfortunately the food really disappoints and the aloof service reinforces thatt his place is designed for out of towners who don't plan to return to this overpriced restaurant. Really expected more from a restaurant that has RDG as one of its backers.Special Features:
- Nice brunch locationSbrvDined on 8/3/2014We had a very nice family brunch. The view was great and the kids loved the food, even though they were not sure while ordering it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but so Tasty!FoodforThoughtDined on 8/1/2014Open concept, large bar on one side, tables on the other half of a rather long room. Modern and airy. Floor to high ceiling windows view of downtown Houston and Discovery Green Park. The servers are knowledgeable but unobtrusive. The food defines itself. You are going to experience new flavors and enjoy everything that you order. It is good for couples if you don't mind a little noise. The lighting is just right for starting off a good night or a little romance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Lunch SpotGoodDined on 8/1/2014This is an awesome lunch spot. The service was amazing and they will be able to meet all your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu is a Welcomed ChangeMarkGwithHoustonFirstVIPDined on 7/30/2014The Grove has made some changes to its menu. We started with their new appetizer of Pulled Beef Short Ribs which we put on top of soft warm corn tortillas. Both my guest and I had one of the new sandwiches, Shrimp and Crab Salad Sandwich. It is housed (and I use that word because that’s what the bread is shaped like) in very soft and moist Challah bread. The salad has fresh shrimp and tasty crab with just the right amount of a creamy remoulade dressing. The sandwich comes with your choice of potato salad, chips, or fries. I had the potato salad which was a mustard-style with small chopped pieces of smoked ham. Not bad. Wait staff was good. Just wondering how I nominate Madeline for “Best Hostess in Houston”.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Side by SideMarkGwithHoustonFirstVIPDined on 7/25/2014The Grove now does a great "Side by Side" combo with soup and salad, easily enough for a complete meal. I had the Baby Greens salad, a rather tasty combination of field greens, tomatoes, radishes and some roasted chilies to give it a kick. The soup was a kind of a seafood stew, which while unremarkable was not bad. There was just something missing... Service was very good. Jody has established a great wait staff that is working like a well oiled machine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing ambience!GastronomeDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I dined here in order to see whether the space would be appropriate for hosting a large party in one of their separate event rooms. Our server, Rick, was very friendly, knowledgable and attentive. The esthetics of the place are lovely - clean lines, organic with a contemporary feel. The mojito I had was fresh and perfectly sweetened, and the meal was delicious (large portions!). We plan to have a party in their primavera room in a few weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinnerOutATownersDined on 7/16/2014Only been to The Grove twice and both times were great.Special Features:
- Great from beginning to endLSAS2012Dined on 7/12/2014I made the reservation quickly on Saturday morning for Saturday evening and my husband and couldn't have been more plesantly surprised. The ambiance was wonderful and food was delicious. We'll absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service was iffy, loud!LynneR912VIPDined on 7/9/2014There was a concert going on at a local venue and the emphasis was on serving those attending the concert. The room was deafening, couldn't hear across the table (not typical for this restaurant). The food and drinks, although they took a long time, were delightful; but the service was not up to their usual standard.Special Features:
- Not the usual qualityMarkGwithHoustonFirstVIPDined on 7/7/2014I've eaten at The Grove many times and it's usually very good, so my expectations were probably too high. I had the $19 Lunch Special which is usually outstanding. It started off with an arugula salad which was okay. The main meal was a roast beef sandwich which had the worst cuts of beef. Arby's makes a better sandwich than this. It was made with a very unacceptable amount of gristle and was dried out even though they had tried to revive it by dipping it in something. Usually there is a creative vegetable or other side dish. This time it was just French fries. Fries? Come on, you can do better than that. The dessert was an unremarkable slice of blueberry topped cheesecake. Even though I shared it with my guest, there was plenty left over.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner dateAnnieDined on 7/3/2014The view into the Discovery Green park was absolutely gorgeous. The food was incredible (and extremely decent in price... almost a bargain.) The cocktails were perfect, and the starter of olives and roasted thyme almonds instead of bread was a treat. The restaurant itself is gorgeous with all the wood and eco-friendly materials. Service was stellar, as well. Will be going back often.Special Features:
- Gorgeous restaurant with great foodTfoodieDined on 6/28/2014We absolutely love this restaurant! It has to be one of the most beautiful restaurants in Houston, especially at night! The food was just as outstanding. My wife had the filet and indicated it was the most tender she had ever tasted. I had the pork chop and it was also the best I had ever tasted. We also tried the wonton dusted fried shimp and they were outstanding. Service was a bit slow at times but overall quite acceptable. Highly recommend this place especially at night for a romantic evening or special occasion with friends.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotTheCloserDined on 6/25/2014This a great spot for lunch during the week, especially if you want to entertain clients. Thank you Grove for the great food, great service, and even greater atmosphere!Special Features: