4 Cannon Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegrocerycharleston.com/
- Phone: 8433028825x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm Sunday Dinner 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Johnson - Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Grocery
We feature ingredient driven cuisine with Mediterranean and Southern influences. Evoking memories of groceries past, the Grocery's menu displays a commitment to sustainability through Chef Johnson's relationships with local and regional farmers and fishermen. The restaurant also features house-made charcuterie and an in-house canning program, which helps preserve the harvest. For a communal dining experience, guests are encouraged to share the small and large plates on the continually-evolving menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Grocery - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Grocery reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (204)neighborhood gem (117)special occasion (105)good for groups (73)great for brunch (51)hot spot (45)romantic (40)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)scenic view (3)Show More
- Fantastic Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Loved the menu. We had a group of four so we used this as an excuse to try 3/4 of the menu. Their food was delicious, creative and hearty. At times I felt like I was in my Mothers kitchen.Special Features:
- never lets you downteresahsVIPDined on 8/27/2014It is so nice to have a restaurant that is solid in every way; every time you visit. My husband, 2 friends and I had a perfect dinner. The ingredients are fresh, the cooking in innovative but not pretentious, the service was great... There are other restaurants on upper King trying to copy the concept of The Grocery, but they fall short.Special Features:
- Fresh find in historic area.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014This was a first visit to this amazing restaurant located in an historic building. We were greeted and seated promptly. All four of us loved the layout of the menu and especially enjoyed the fact that the dishes were designed to be shared. The eggplant appetizer was outstanding. We almost ordered a second serving. All of the main course entries were delicious. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch/BrunchLoveCharlestonDined on 8/24/2014Best shrimp and grits in a long time! Attentive service. We were there for the first time and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great foodFayeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Creative food....tastes all very interesting mix...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We had a nice experience at The Grocery. Our waiter was wonderful, we loved the atmosphere, we felt like the food was good but not exceptional. However, at the end of our dining experience we asked the hostess if we could speak to the manager. We wanted to brag on our server. She told us the manager was busy. We told her we would wait. The hostess went off in the back and spoke with a women in a black dress that appeared to be the manager. We waited 10 minutes and the manager never took the time to speak to us.Special Features:
- FishyFishyVIPDined on 8/22/2014When visitors come from the north to visit us we take them downtown Charleston to experience its many charms. We always include a dinner at the Grocery. It is in a regrntrified area, has free parking and the food is simply the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I expected2for1Dined on 8/21/2014I had heard good things about The Grocery and took out of town guests to give it a try. It was a pleasant but not notable atmosphere. The grilled peaches were delicious but everything else was just average: Heirloom tomatoes, Tuna appetizer, Wahoo, Grilled chicken and Seafood Pilau as well as frozen key lime dessert. Given al the great food in Chalreston I am not likely to go back.
- Wonderful dining experienceCoochVIPDined on 8/21/2014The Grocery is a little off the beaten path but was a great choice. The ambiance was fun, the eggplant and halibut were outstanding, our waitress was knowledgeable of the menu and took good care of us. We will certainly return and tell our friends of our find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed it,FalvinoDined on 8/21/2014We found the service to be a spotty and sporatic, we actually had to ask for bread after our wine was served yet people all around us who came in later than us were served theirs. When the server was at the table he was professional and knowledgeable about the menu and wine. I found the portions small for New York City Prices.Special Features:
- We'll come back for sure!DersLynnDined on 8/21/2014Everything was delicious! We were greeted by the hostess with a sweet smile. Connor, our waiter, took great care of us and perfectly timed out our dinner. Thank you so much! We'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DukeDined on 8/17/2014Very attentive service! Food was excellent! Good variety of items on menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014One of the most outstanding dining experiences I've had in Charleston in the past 15 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harleyeoDined on 8/15/2014We live in Charleston and decided to give the Grocery a try. Maybe we hit it on an off night. We'd rate out total dining experience a B. Guess after all we'd heard about it, we were looking for an A dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner at The GroceryAlexMDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at the Grocery and were extremely impressed. We were visiting the area from Chicago, and we took our concierge's advice to try out this restaurant. We were not disappointed - the food was phenomenal, the service was top notch and our server/the staff went out of their way to help us celebrate our special day. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in Charleston, special occasion or not, great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-service disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Our 2 nd time here. Food was good- creative and delicious but service could have been much better. Took server 15 minutes to get our initial drink order and 45 minutes to get bread to table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placebaxmanDined on 8/13/2014If you are not opposed to spending a pretty penny then this place is awesome. Everything on the menu is delicious. Awesome presentation. Great service. Check business hours because they are not always open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!SeabrookerDined on 8/13/2014Creative menu items presented and cooked to perfection. The whole fish is most memorable. Not far behind are the roasted peaches and fried oysters. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerCharlestonFoodieDined on 8/12/2014This was our first visit. Our waitress was very good in guiding us through the menu. Our dinner was excellent. We definitely will return.Special Features:
- They had everything on my list!DocorthoDined on 8/10/2014Food was great! service attentive. interesting decor. Should leave a bread (awesome) basket on the table, instead of having to ask. Very creative deserts.Special Features:
- Limited MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Overall good dining experience but found the menu to be a bit limited. Portions are small.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOgeecheetravelerDined on 8/10/2014Not having been to The Grocery for dinner service, I can only comment on Sunday brunch - which really was very good. We had the shrimp and grits which was very tasty, the French toast which was a huge hit, and the Frank and Beans which really had the BEST combination of flavors. Death by Mimosa was yummy, but I was disappointed in the Bloody Mary which didn't have much flavor. My husband asked for salt to try to pick it up but it just was rather bland. Service was fine but in a very un-crowded restaurant it shouldn't take the 5+ minutes it did before we even saw our waiter. Charleston has so many wonderful restaurants that the bar is high, but even with a few minor quibbles, our entire party said they'd love to eat there again.Special Features:
- Sunday funday brunchUSAFWifeDined on 8/10/2014After church, my husband and I like to try different restaurants for brunch. The grocery has an excellent brunch menu. We plan to try their dinner menu in the future too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved The Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014U can try lots of small plates. Great dessert too. Would definitely recommend. Comfortable setting and great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu disappointmentMereDined on 8/2/2014The food was great and service was good however, I specifically came here to try a dish that was listed on the menu provided by the open table app (scallop and pork belly dish). When we got there, I found out They were no longer offering it!! I was beyond disappointed. The alternate dish I selected was good but I wanted what I came there for. They didn't offer to make it for me which I was hoping would be an option. Great visit overall but I wish the menu was updated...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell in Love!LwillsonDined on 8/2/2014Our first time to The Grocery, it definitely won our taste buds over! Be adventurous at The Grocery and you will NOT be disappointed. The Okra was excellent, as well as the piggy plate and squid. I will have to say, hands down, the sweet corn ice cream w/ candied bacon was one of the best desserts I've ever had. If it's on the menu... SAVE ROOM! The chef really knows what they're doing. We tried to go back again for more dessert the next night but they were closed. Go a little earlier on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!charlestonchicDined on 8/2/2014Everything was wonderful from cocktails to dessert. The sides are fantastic -- loved the cauliflower, eggplant, tomatoes and warm beets. All were farm fresh and in prepared in a sophisticated yet accessible way. The mains (we had fish) were wonderful -- they were cooked perfectly and served on fresh vegetable combinations that were flavorful and unique. Décor is rustic/industrial/hipster chic -- not exactly romantic/intimate but fun, loud and the perfect place for a celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definitely ReturnlovefoodwinetravelDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful food combinations with fresh local ingredients. Every dish was creatively prepared to please the taste buds of the most critical of foodies. Many healthy options too. Great new find in Charleston. I would rank them in the top 10% of all restaurants in the area for sure. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014We loved it!!! Interesting, delicious food choices and a great wine list. The service was excellent as well. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous !PrincessDIVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a terrific assortment of dishes. The oysters were amazing. THe bee liner fish entree was wonderful. the duck breast tasted pretty great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The groceryPman22Dined on 8/1/2014Wow! It was so good. I don't normally post these kind a things but I felt like I had to after eating such a great meal. The chicken was soo good and cooked perfectly. I took my mom and she is a picky eater and they got all of her requests right which helped and the food was just so good. I have eaten at several hot spots in charleston and I rank the grocery as an almost underdog to some of the bigger names. I rank it in the top 5 in the whole city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy and ChillTommyDined on 7/27/2014Enjoyed it from top to bottom, great time. Food was great and there were plenty of healthy options which is a nice change of pace downtown.Special Features:
- great find!singtravVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great food, a variety of innovative dishes very well executedSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable & Memorablecoreye30Dined on 7/26/2014We met some friends here for dinner. Really enjoyed the food. We shared a charcuterie plate and a bottle of wine to start. We then ordered a side and meal to share with our spouses. Food was very good, fresh, and tasty. Service was great. It was a bit loud when we first walked in and set down (in an old building, might not have the best acoustics) but we were able to talk at our table without distraction from it (or we got used to it). I'd recommend this place. Lots of great bars on King St to grab drinks before/after the meal.Special Features:
- Always inventive and freshDianeChasVIPDined on 7/26/2014We love the Grocery as it always has fresh selections and creatively uses vegetables. The seasoning is always inspired as well. Order Carrots or Cauliflower and you'll be dazzled by the dish that is served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Glad I Made This ReservationEatdrinkandbemerryDined on 7/25/2014Upon the recommendation of a friend, my husband and I dined at The Grocery Friday evening. Tucked away on a side street off King, The Grocery did not disappoint. The duck fat roasted potatoes, tuna, halibut with succotash were superb. All fresh and local (the halibut was not local). For dessert, sweet corn ice cream with fresh berries and BACON. Divine! Trust me. The Grocery uses local produce, meats, dairy, etc. So, not only are you enjoying a fabulous meal you are supporting local enterprise. The dining area is open and airy and the noise level isn't off the chart. The service was excellent and everyone was so nice. By far the best meal I have had in a LONG time. We will certainly go again on our next visit to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Rvw1Dined on 7/25/2014Delicious! My new favorite restaurant in Charleston.Special Features:
- Auspiciously deliciouss0uthernflavaDined on 7/23/2014Uniquely shaped bar with cocktails you won't see anywhere else. I loved the Blackberry Cup, refreshing with cucumbers and cucumber vodka. Great ambience in a large but cozy farmhouse-style room. The left side of the menu features fresh vegetables as small plates/apps/sides - it was difficult to narrow down the list because I think we would have enjoyed each one. We shared the roasted potatoes in duck fat (that dill creme fraiche!!), sweet corn pudding (chanterelles!!), beet salad (blueberries!!), and the cauliflower (soft egg!!). SO MUCH YUM. Next course - a fabulous piece of halibut over a bed of succotash with a bright lemony juice. I highly recommend this restaurant to any and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!CharlestonDinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014Another great meal at the grocery. The cauliflower with soft egg, lamb sausage, beet salad, gazpacho, and scallop crude were superb. Best beet salad I've ever had.Special Features:
- Nice new findwestbraeDined on 7/20/2014We have been frequent Charleston diners for the past 8 years and have our favorites! We have been trying to branch out and try some of the newer choices on upper King and were not disappointed. The food was great. We enjoyed the decor and loved doing the small plates. Service was a bit off but nothing that would keep us from returning. Definitely do an assortment of small and large plates and share!!! Loved the Okra and heirloom tomato with herbed BurrataSpecial Features: