4 Cannon Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegrocerycharleston.com/
- Phone: 8433028825x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm Sunday Dinner 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Johnson - Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Grocery
We feature ingredient driven cuisine with Mediterranean and Southern influences. Evoking memories of groceries past, the Grocery's menu displays a commitment to sustainability through Chef Johnson's relationships with local and regional farmers and fishermen. The restaurant also features house-made charcuterie and an in-house canning program, which helps preserve the harvest. For a communal dining experience, guests are encouraged to share the small and large plates on the continually-evolving menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Grocery - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Grocery reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (238)neighborhood gem (122)special occasion (106)good for groups (105)hot spot (66)romantic (45)great for brunch (41)notable wine list (40)vibrant bar scene (24)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Menu is confusing so be careful of cost "creep" . Would still recommend a visit. Rating it a 4 star.I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Around Great Local Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Loved visiting The Grocery on our recent stop over in Charleston. It truly captured the essence of the city and we enjoyed the "Death by Mimosa" too much!Special Features:
- Consistently great foodkmreviewsDined on 10/11/2014Everything is always incredibly flavourful and interesting. Love the cauliflower and the squid small plates. We had the whole fish and it was cooked to perfection, seasoned and served beautifuly. AND finished dinner with the churros - they are spectacular.Special Features:
- Farm to tableKiawahfoodloverDined on 10/11/2014Excellent choice for those people who love Farm to table! Daily changing menue based on what is offered by the best local suppliers. We loved every bit (bite) of it. Fantastic list of starters - which you should share ☺️Food makes you happy! Very good wine list!Special Features:
- Great experienceDeedeeDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I don't go out to eat much so we try to pick highly recommended places when we do. The Grocery is a great restaurant. A lengthy wine menu and lots of yummy dishes on the menu. The atmosphere was not too loud but had a good energy. The customer service was awesome. Would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must!EOfanDined on 10/9/2014A waiter from another restaurant suggested we try The Grocery. We were not disappointed. We had several small plates (produce appetizers) that were everywhere. The eggplant and pesto filed burrata were our favorites. The service was exceptional and they did a fantastic job of making us feel our toddler daughter was welcome, though she was the only child there. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014There were 7 of us in our party, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the food and service. Five of our party were from out-of-town, and they thought everything was great. They loved their visit to Charleston, and recommended The Grocery to other visitors that were in Charleston for a Show held at the North Chas Convention Center this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- robustnc1Dined on 10/5/2014Excellent Sunday brunch....will have to return for dinner
- Spectacular experiencegwj049VIPDined on 10/4/2014This was one if the best meals I gave had all year. The problem was we couldn't decide what to order since everything sounded unique and appetizing. Thanks goodness for Caitlyn who helped us navigate the best dishes and was extremely helpful and provided excellent service. We opted for several small plates and highly recommend the following: marrow brûlée, pad thai, cauliflower, gem salad and burrata. Each dish had robust flavor and were something you wouldn't be able to find on another menu. I've had burrata several tunes and this was by far the tastiest and most beautiful version if the dish. Such a wonderful experience, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/4/2014Great atmosphere, food was awesome and the service was friendly.....loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Another VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014We are time share owners in Charleston and this was our second visit to The Grocery-once again, the service was excellent and the food was very good. We will return each time we visit Charleston.Special Features:
- ExcellentLoveLocalFoodDined on 9/28/2014Fab meal, fresh flounder fantastic, all dishes well prepared, interesting menu, outstanding service, love the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014When looking at some of the ingredients that were put together for brunch selections made me question how they would go together. To my surprise and delight they all went togther very well. I had fried oysters over a frittata with remoulade sauce which was excellent. My husband had Green Eggs and Ham and was very happy with his meal as well. The waiter was very good and attentive. The bloody mary was also very good. The special mimosa was not at the top of my husband's list. I would stick with the standard mimosa. Will definately go back the next time we are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchfoodnhopsDined on 9/28/2014Sunday brunch, great service, excellent food, the house cured meats are a real highlight.Special Features:
- Beyond Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Coming from Atlanta (a known foodie city), I made the assumption that I'd be let down by the Charleston restaurant scene. I was pleasantly surprised to have not only an amazing dinner, but overall experience at The Grocery. The food was by far better than any food I've had in Atlanta, and the ambiance was even better. I will absolutely tell all of my friends this is a must on their next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious food!tennispalsDined on 9/27/2014Our group of 8 ladies found the service and atmosphere to be wonderful and our entrees delicious! We shared 3 appetizers....pesto filled burrata, okra and fried oysters....all were incredible! Several of us got the snapper entree and would order it again! The Low Country seafood pilau entree was really good as well. The peanut butter chocolate dessert was amazing, we have a picture of one of us licking the plate! We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty and freshJISherryVIPDined on 9/26/2014great location; amazingly convenient parking for the area; interesting menu with fresh, local meat and produce for a fair price; lots of options and fun cocktails with nice wine/beer listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of Ten StarsMountainjimVIPDined on 9/25/2014What a wonderful Restaurant. If you are in Charleston, do not miss this very special dining experience. if you are with four people, the selection of small plates enables you to have a total selection of what the chef is preparing that day. A terrific farm to table experience whether that be the farm or the sea. Just delicious parrings of vegetable and herbs with all dishes. I would visit Charleston just to go to The Grocery.Special Features:
- Vacation destinationLdubois2Dined on 9/23/2014Visited Charleston last year and went to The Grocery based on reviews. Came back this year and it was the first reservation we made. Cannot go wrong. And excellent churros with salted caramel and two other dipping sauces to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Grocery Delivers!SouthernBelleDined on 9/23/2014Thoughtful and imaginative food and presentation in a relaxed yet energized environment. The servers know their menu and make good recommendations. The Piggy Plate was savory but not sharp, and almost melted in your mouth. The wood roasted peach salad was fantastic! Churros for dessert lived up to their reputation for excellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Porgy in Charleston....no BessSteakman55Dined on 9/21/2014Dinner at The Grocery was outstanding. Wife and I first there at 7 PM on a Monday, but it started filling up fast. Waiter very knowledgeable about the menu and talked us through to sharing three apps and one entree. The whole roasted porgy with a side of cauliflower was very good as was the wine, a blend of Rhone and pinot noir. Service was top notch.Special Features:
- Pleasant BrunchLucythefoodieDined on 9/21/2014We went in for a Sunday brunch and overall had a good experience. Nothing spectacular, but all in all a good meal.Special Features:
- Food and Staff ExceptionalzackDined on 9/21/2014Food and staff were all exceptional. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great farm to tableJuranimalsDined on 9/20/2014ate here based on staff at double tree hotel recommendation and comments we got from Culinary Tour guide that morning. Food was well prepared, inventive ... sea bass and braised beef entrees were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could have been better.RookieDined on 9/19/2014Had reservations at 8:30 so got to the restaurant at 7:45 for a drink. There was no wait staff in the bar area, tables were not cleaned and had food and dirty napkins on them, had to go to the bar to get a drink. Got seated on time. Water glasses on the table were dirty and we asked for replacements. The service was good and the food generally good. There was a party of 8 across the room from us that was so loud we had a hard time having a conversation during our meal - very bad acoustics on the far end of the restaurant. Not a bad spot but there are much better places in Charleston for the same price.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014We had a little of everything and it was amazing I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner here. The ambiance was perfect and the food was incredible. Service was too notch, as was the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!meglyDined on 9/13/2014Went late on Saturday during Restaurant Week, what a wonderful night. It's also my birthday coming up and the waiter was nice, fun and accommodating, even giving us prosecco to celebrate! The food was AWESOME. Best meal from start to finish I've ever had. We had the salad, seafood stew, gnocchi, snapper, banana pudding and churros. The standout for me was the stew, especially with table-side service. SO delicious. Their sourdough was outstanding too. We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shouldn't be forgottonFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014We don't remember this as often as we should. A delightful dining experience in a simple setting. No pretenses, just good food and service. They did a great job even during restaurant week.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week FinaleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014It was a great Charleston Restaurant Week finale with friends. Everything was wonderful, however, it was rather difficult to have a conversation due to the amount of noise.Special Features:
- SchzippyDined on 9/12/2014We went for Charleston Restaurant Week. Food was excellent and served promptly. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The experience was memorable for the food and service. The food was outstanding as was the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for dinnerjimpDined on 9/12/2014Excellent choices during rest week. Very good service. Noise level ok in smaller section we were in. Definitely on list for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Findadoran34Dined on 9/11/2014I happened to stumble upon The Grocery during restaurant week and within that week ate at there 3 times. Everything on the menu was amazing! Even foods I traditionally would stay away from we're mouth watering. I thoroughly plan on eating here many more times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Dining ExperienceInfrequentdinerDined on 9/11/2014Dinner at The Grocery proved to be as good as we had heard it was. The dining room was large with tables spaced a comfortable distance apart. We each had a three course Restaurant Week meal. My husband had the piglet platter, snapper and chocolate mint ice cream on a brownie. I had fried oysters, the herb shrimp gnocchi and frozen lemon meringue pie. The pie could have had a stronger lemon flavor, but otherwise everything was wonderful. The service was just the way we like it - helpful and attentive but not overly solicitous. There was a medical emergency at the table next to us and our server asked if we would be more comfortable at another table, which we declined but thought it very thoughtful of her to ask. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GrocerySoccermom1Dined on 9/11/2014Our experience was wonderful. Food was amazing, from the appetizers to the delicious desserts and everything in between! Service was top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceTigerfanVIPDined on 9/10/2014We went there during Restaurant Week, so the choices were 3 for $35. Started at the bar which has some very good craft beers on tap and some very interesting concoctions on the cocktail menu. Reminded me alot of Husk. Food was very good, service as good, all around great time and enjoyed finding a new spot. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellentzmanDined on 9/10/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant. The stew was amazing as well as my ribs dinner. I was here on a business dinner and everyone totally enjoyed it and raved about there dinner. I would recommend this place for any occasionSpecial Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceLoveCharlestonDiningDined on 9/10/2014This was my first visit to The Grocery and I was very impressed. The atmosphere was pleasant, the food was outstanding and our server, Jackson, was exemplary.....very friendly, knowledgeable, and timely. The seafood stew was absolutely superb as was the Beeliner snapper.....the entire staff was very friendly and made us feel comfortable.I am looking forward to my next night out at The Grocery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobmDined on 9/10/2014Great service and awesome meals! Special occasion (anniversary) feted with surprise flutes of champagne wth dessert! Nice pricing of 3 courses for Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.