4 Cannon Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegrocerycharleston.com/
- Phone: (843) 302-8825
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm Sunday Dinner 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Johnson - Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Grocery
We feature ingredient driven cuisine with Mediterranean and Southern influences. Evoking memories of groceries past, the Grocery's menu displays a commitment to sustainability through Chef Johnson's relationships with local and regional farmers and fishermen. The restaurant also features house-made charcuterie and an in-house canning program, which helps preserve the harvest. For a communal dining experience, guests are encouraged to share the small and large plates on the continually-evolving menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Grocery - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Grocery reviews from OpenTable diners
274 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (238)neighborhood gem (127)good for groups (103)special occasion (80)hot spot (69)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (42)romantic (36)vibrant bar scene (28)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (13)late-night find (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- We were very happy w/our whole experience.KristyDined on 11/22/2014The food was so fresh and seasoned. I can't wait to return. Our server Brandi was very informative and sweet. The scallops with the turnip puree was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, ambiance and decorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the quaint environment and the limited but varied menu with enough choice to make for a delightful dinner. The service was slow, wine for dinner came after dinner and the waiter was so slow to take our order for dessert that we had to forsake dessert - maybe a new slow waiter or too many customers for this waiter. But overall an excellent experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Outstanding DinnerCsbjimVIPDined on 11/20/2014Once again The Grocery has delivered on providing us with outstanding food, excellent service in a memorable setting. The new to us Fall selections were delicious! Our waiter, Conner, was most knowledgeable and attentive. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding,Unique Food ExperiencedonjoshuaDined on 11/19/2014The Grocery was an outstanding,unique dining experience. The menu takes a bit of getting used to, but the server was excellent at explaining it to us. The wine list was also excellent. We enjoyed the ambiance and found it to be less noisy than anticipated. We will definitely return at a later date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Absolutely wonderful. Small plates fabulous. Must go !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014Everything we had was tasty! Loved the pimento cheese bites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattiMPattiMDined on 11/13/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Charleston. We are Paleo eaters and the chef was very generous to accommodate our needs with his fresh meals. This would be my "go to" place for a guaranteed excellent meal, excellent service and an unpretentious setting/attitude. We had the wonderful roast chicken with sweet potatoes and apples and greens. The greens were so delicious they tasted like candy (to non sugar eaters). Can't wait to go back. Brandon was a terrific server too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicegidgetVIPDined on 11/13/2014We loved our last visit to The Grocery! Our server, Wes, was excellent. He started us out with one of the best bourbon cocktails that we've ever tasted. The meal was well prepared and the view into the kitchen was fun to watch. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to Table FeastCHSFlyerVIPDined on 11/12/2014The grocery lives up to its reputation as a low key and outstanding charleston "new tradition" with a great seasonal menu. I has the whole black bass locally caught with a pesto sauce and roasted local vegetables cooked inside the fish. Our table shared the Old McDonald charcuterie plate chefs selection which is a must have. Our server Cameron knew the sources of all the local items and made great recommendations. He and the entire team were attentive without hovering and made for an enjoyable evening. The grocery has a well deserved spot at the top of Upper Kings new foodie strip and is a must do along with Prohibition and the OrdinarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchcrockpottuesdayVIPDined on 11/9/2014My family and I had a wonderful brunch here! Everyone's food was delicious. I had the B.E.L.T flatbread and it was amazing! Will be back fun brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Frills Dining w/great local fareLegrossoVIPDined on 11/8/2014I really enjoy the grocery every time I go and am always impressed by the menu. The food is just good and the atmosphere is awesome. Its great for getting together with friends or a double date and just enjoying great food and drink and good conversation. Also our waitress Sierra (but not spelled that way) was awesome. She was very knowledgeable about the drink menu as well as the food menu and led us to some great choices. We have a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hi quality local foodBigJoeDined on 11/7/2014Unusual menu of locally obtained items. Interesting preparations. Brandi our server was outstanding. One complaint was that they have a small parking lot with many spaces taken by golf carts! On street parking was impossible to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magic in the kitchen, top serviceLP55Dined on 11/6/2014Not sure what the chef does with the hyper-fresh vegetables in the kitchen, but it is pure magic in my book. Love the cumin in the okra, the roma bean stew that is light and hearty at the same time, and the creamy, rich, velvet cauliflower. Sim-sala-bim! We enjoyed every small dish we ordered (6 in total) and the service was outstanding, attentive and professional.Special Features:
- Top NotchJimboDined on 11/2/2014We had Sunday brunch at The Grocery. The quality of the food is excellent. Would highly reccomend for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!LesFoodieDined on 10/26/2014This is my second time visiting The Grocery. Outstanding service and even better food. The pork skin pad thai is my favorite! Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- TASTYNibblerDined on 10/26/2014Very tasty and innovative, too. Great flavors, surprising mix of veggies and sauces. Terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Grocery was a disappointmentmissvidaliaDined on 10/24/2014Despite the friendly staff and the good recommendation from a friend, the meal was just okay. The food has too many complicated seasonings so that not one flavor shined through. The wine list was pricey and would recommend that you select by the glass instead of by the bottle. I would not go back again to give them a second chance
- Consistently good, go-to restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Friday night large party, including foodies, jet-lagged children and vegetarian: Everyone was pleased! Children's menus were offered, a nice touch, although not sampled. We opted for a couple of large entrees for the table, plus two smaller entrées (also shared), several apps and several vegetables. Lettuce salads are sometimes boring, but the blue cheese dressing was divine. The wood roasted squid was exceptionally flavorful. The corn and shrimp agnolotti was a hit and could be an entree. The generously portioned cassoulet was an excellent version with a local twist. The whole fish did not disappoint. We were happy to consume two orders of the daily special pumpkin side dish and also particularly enjoyed the roasted okra. Love the parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarenDined on 10/24/2014Excellent Food!Love All the Vegetables!Things to Share,Small plates.Excellent Fresh Food! I Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!!!CharlestonGroupieDined on 10/22/2014What a disappointment! We were anxious to try this newer restaurant after much hype, but now sorry we wasted our first night in Charleston there. It took forever to be seated, though we had a reservation. The bartender had an attitude to go along with his tiny, watered-down martini, the food was slow arriving (even after the gratis "I'm sorry" appetizer of what was essentially fried pimiento cheese -- thanks but no thanks), my husband's duck VERY fatty and my shrimp and pasta dish so-so. Though our server was very apologetic and implored us to return for another go-round, we'll never go back!Special Features:
- WonderfulJofromATLDined on 10/21/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. The service was outstanding. Not intrusive in the least yet right there when you needed something. Our servers suggestions were spot on and we ate each course with high praise sent back to the kitchen. Go for a delightful meal, you'll be hard pressed to find fault.Special Features:
- Special OccasionmemeDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I like to go to restaurants on special occasions. The Grocery is a restaurant that I would recommend for that purpose. The service was excellent and the food was very good. The waiter was very attentive and knowledgable. They have a very good selection of wines and helpful staff to make your special occasion enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Menu is confusing so be careful of cost "creep" . Would still recommend a visit. Rating it a 4 star.I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Around Great Local Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Loved visiting The Grocery on our recent stop over in Charleston. It truly captured the essence of the city and we enjoyed the "Death by Mimosa" too much!Special Features:
- Consistently great foodkmreviewsDined on 10/11/2014Everything is always incredibly flavourful and interesting. Love the cauliflower and the squid small plates. We had the whole fish and it was cooked to perfection, seasoned and served beautifuly. AND finished dinner with the churros - they are spectacular.Special Features:
- Farm to tableKiawahfoodloverDined on 10/11/2014Excellent choice for those people who love Farm to table! Daily changing menue based on what is offered by the best local suppliers. We loved every bit (bite) of it. Fantastic list of starters - which you should share ☺️Food makes you happy! Very good wine list!Special Features:
- Great experienceDeedeeDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I don't go out to eat much so we try to pick highly recommended places when we do. The Grocery is a great restaurant. A lengthy wine menu and lots of yummy dishes on the menu. The atmosphere was not too loud but had a good energy. The customer service was awesome. Would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must!EOfanDined on 10/9/2014A waiter from another restaurant suggested we try The Grocery. We were not disappointed. We had several small plates (produce appetizers) that were everywhere. The eggplant and pesto filed burrata were our favorites. The service was exceptional and they did a fantastic job of making us feel our toddler daughter was welcome, though she was the only child there. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014There were 7 of us in our party, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the food and service. Five of our party were from out-of-town, and they thought everything was great. They loved their visit to Charleston, and recommended The Grocery to other visitors that were in Charleston for a Show held at the North Chas Convention Center this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- robustnc1Dined on 10/5/2014Excellent Sunday brunch....will have to return for dinner
- Spectacular experiencegwj049VIPDined on 10/4/2014This was one if the best meals I gave had all year. The problem was we couldn't decide what to order since everything sounded unique and appetizing. Thanks goodness for Caitlyn who helped us navigate the best dishes and was extremely helpful and provided excellent service. We opted for several small plates and highly recommend the following: marrow brûlée, pad thai, cauliflower, gem salad and burrata. Each dish had robust flavor and were something you wouldn't be able to find on another menu. I've had burrata several tunes and this was by far the tastiest and most beautiful version if the dish. Such a wonderful experience, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/4/2014Great atmosphere, food was awesome and the service was friendly.....loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Another VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014We are time share owners in Charleston and this was our second visit to The Grocery-once again, the service was excellent and the food was very good. We will return each time we visit Charleston.Special Features:
- ExcellentLoveLocalFoodDined on 9/28/2014Fab meal, fresh flounder fantastic, all dishes well prepared, interesting menu, outstanding service, love the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014When looking at some of the ingredients that were put together for brunch selections made me question how they would go together. To my surprise and delight they all went togther very well. I had fried oysters over a frittata with remoulade sauce which was excellent. My husband had Green Eggs and Ham and was very happy with his meal as well. The waiter was very good and attentive. The bloody mary was also very good. The special mimosa was not at the top of my husband's list. I would stick with the standard mimosa. Will definately go back the next time we are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchfoodnhopsDined on 9/28/2014Sunday brunch, great service, excellent food, the house cured meats are a real highlight.Special Features:
- Beyond Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Coming from Atlanta (a known foodie city), I made the assumption that I'd be let down by the Charleston restaurant scene. I was pleasantly surprised to have not only an amazing dinner, but overall experience at The Grocery. The food was by far better than any food I've had in Atlanta, and the ambiance was even better. I will absolutely tell all of my friends this is a must on their next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious food!tennispalsDined on 9/27/2014Our group of 8 ladies found the service and atmosphere to be wonderful and our entrees delicious! We shared 3 appetizers....pesto filled burrata, okra and fried oysters....all were incredible! Several of us got the snapper entree and would order it again! The Low Country seafood pilau entree was really good as well. The peanut butter chocolate dessert was amazing, we have a picture of one of us licking the plate! We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING food, alwaysAllielcDined on 9/26/2014I can't even tell you how many times I've been here and every single time I have tried something different and LOVED it. ALL of the food is fantastic and they have a fabulous wine selection. I recently tried a Kentucky red (yes- crazy) and it was fabulous!Special Features:
- tasty and freshJISherryVIPDined on 9/26/2014great location; amazingly convenient parking for the area; interesting menu with fresh, local meat and produce for a fair price; lots of options and fun cocktails with nice wine/beer listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.