4 Cannon Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegrocerycharleston.com/
- Phone: (843) 302-8825
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm Sunday Dinner 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Johnson - Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Grocery
We feature ingredient driven cuisine with Mediterranean and Southern influences. Evoking memories of groceries past, the Grocery's menu displays a commitment to sustainability through Chef Johnson's relationships with local and regional farmers and fishermen. The restaurant also features house-made charcuterie and an in-house canning program, which helps preserve the harvest. For a communal dining experience, guests are encouraged to share the small and large plates on the continually-evolving menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Grocery - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Grocery reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (235)neighborhood gem (125)good for groups (102)special occasion (78)hot spot (67)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (42)romantic (36)vibrant bar scene (28)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (13)late-night find (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- It's always about the foodAthtochasDined on 8/31/2014The Grocery has great atmosphere. It is upscale dining, but casual enough to relax and just enjoy. In the end, it's always about the food. This was my second visit, and both times the food was exceptional. Seasonal, local, and skillfully prepared. Having dined all over Charleston, the Grocery is easily one of the city's top restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies BrunchFoodfanDined on 8/31/2014I took a group of out of town guests (all ladies) here for brunch. I've been here before for dinner twice and loved it, but was a little worried about the fact that we had three "pescatarians" and a person with celiacs who has to have gluten free items or else she gets severely ill. The waiter was polite, accommodating, and knowledgeable and even offered a special vegetarian option off menu for the table. Delicious aromatic coffee, fresh crispy bean salad and creamy cheese grits, fennel sausage with lima beans and ham, bright flavorful chorizo black bean egg breakfast, herbed ricotta breakfast flatbreads; everyone at the table loved their dishes, we all left full and happy. Definitely highly recommend this place to diners. :)Special Features:
- finnDined on 8/29/2014We ordered and array of smaller plates. Grilled peaches, tomato salad, shrimp, tuna were all delicious.. We were seated across from exposed kitchen and chef expediting which was entertaining.Special Features:
- Highly Recommend The Grocery!DebbyDined on 8/29/2014We celebrated our 27th anniversary at The Grocery and had both a fabulous meal and memorable evening. I selected it based on the chef's philosophy of supporting local purveyors and his interesting menu. We started with a Roman style cauliflower and a calamari dish. A fish lover, I had a beautifully prepared snapper in a shrimp broth - my favorite fish preparation - for my entree, and my husband enjoyed the duck. We ended the evening with banana pudding in a mason jar, true Southern style and delicious. We're from Chicago, and think the prices are very fair and a good value for the quality and service. One server Wes made our evening exceptionally special treating us to Proscecco and outstanding service. He's a gem!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Loved the menu. We had a group of four so we used this as an excuse to try 3/4 of the menu. Their food was delicious, creative and hearty. At times I felt like I was in my Mothers kitchen.Special Features:
- Meh,GarglewhiskeyDined on 8/29/2014This was the second time at the Grocery. After being highly recommended we trekked all the way up north King St. And had a great meal. So great that we decided to try again during our latest trip 3 months later. What a difference. First off, the octopus. Chewy, rubbery, tasteless. Always a difficult dish to prepare, the chef needs to get the technique down before serving it as a special. The duck we had was prepared well but the rest of the meal was overly salted. Our waiter's first day as a waiter so that should say enough. You've got to start somewhere and it was the luck of the draw for us. All in all, given the number of great restaurants in town not sure if we will be going back.Special Features:
- never lets you downteresahsVIPDined on 8/27/2014It is so nice to have a restaurant that is solid in every way; every time you visit. My husband, 2 friends and I had a perfect dinner. The ingredients are fresh, the cooking in innovative but not pretentious, the service was great... There are other restaurants on upper King trying to copy the concept of The Grocery, but they fall short.Special Features:
- Great food!GalwayGirlDined on 8/27/2014Visiting from DC and received recommendation from a neighbor before leaving. We are glad she did! Great food and impeccable service. My husband had the steak, my son had the duck and I had a mix of appetizers/salad. Good wines and dessert too. I heartily recommend.Special Features:
- Fresh find in historic area.redwagonDined on 8/27/2014This was a first visit to this amazing restaurant located in an historic building. We were greeted and seated promptly. All four of us loved the layout of the menu and especially enjoyed the fact that the dishes were designed to be shared. The eggplant appetizer was outstanding. We almost ordered a second serving. All of the main course entries were delicious. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch/BrunchLoveCharlestonDined on 8/24/2014Best shrimp and grits in a long time! Attentive service. We were there for the first time and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great foodFayeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Creative food....tastes all very interesting mix...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We had a nice experience at The Grocery. Our waiter was wonderful, we loved the atmosphere, we felt like the food was good but not exceptional. However, at the end of our dining experience we asked the hostess if we could speak to the manager. We wanted to brag on our server. She told us the manager was busy. We told her we would wait. The hostess went off in the back and spoke with a women in a black dress that appeared to be the manager. We waited 10 minutes and the manager never took the time to speak to us.Special Features:
- FishyFishyVIPDined on 8/22/2014When visitors come from the north to visit us we take them downtown Charleston to experience its many charms. We always include a dinner at the Grocery. It is in a regrntrified area, has free parking and the food is simply the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I expected2for1Dined on 8/21/2014I had heard good things about The Grocery and took out of town guests to give it a try. It was a pleasant but not notable atmosphere. The grilled peaches were delicious but everything else was just average: Heirloom tomatoes, Tuna appetizer, Wahoo, Grilled chicken and Seafood Pilau as well as frozen key lime dessert. Given al the great food in Chalreston I am not likely to go back.
- Wonderful dining experienceCoochVIPDined on 8/21/2014The Grocery is a little off the beaten path but was a great choice. The ambiance was fun, the eggplant and halibut were outstanding, our waitress was knowledgeable of the menu and took good care of us. We will certainly return and tell our friends of our find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed it,FalvinoDined on 8/21/2014We found the service to be a spotty and sporatic, we actually had to ask for bread after our wine was served yet people all around us who came in later than us were served theirs. When the server was at the table he was professional and knowledgeable about the menu and wine. I found the portions small for New York City Prices.Special Features:
- We'll come back for sure!DersLynnDined on 8/21/2014Everything was delicious! We were greeted by the hostess with a sweet smile. Connor, our waiter, took great care of us and perfectly timed out our dinner. Thank you so much! We'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DukeDined on 8/17/2014Very attentive service! Food was excellent! Good variety of items on menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014One of the most outstanding dining experiences I've had in Charleston in the past 15 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- harleyeoDined on 8/15/2014We live in Charleston and decided to give the Grocery a try. Maybe we hit it on an off night. We'd rate out total dining experience a B. Guess after all we'd heard about it, we were looking for an A dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner at The GroceryAlexMDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at the Grocery and were extremely impressed. We were visiting the area from Chicago, and we took our concierge's advice to try out this restaurant. We were not disappointed - the food was phenomenal, the service was top notch and our server/the staff went out of their way to help us celebrate our special day. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in Charleston, special occasion or not, great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-service disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Our 2 nd time here. Food was good- creative and delicious but service could have been much better. Took server 15 minutes to get our initial drink order and 45 minutes to get bread to table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placebaxmanDined on 8/13/2014If you are not opposed to spending a pretty penny then this place is awesome. Everything on the menu is delicious. Awesome presentation. Great service. Check business hours because they are not always open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!SeabrookerDined on 8/13/2014Creative menu items presented and cooked to perfection. The whole fish is most memorable. Not far behind are the roasted peaches and fried oysters. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerCharlestonFoodieDined on 8/12/2014This was our first visit. Our waitress was very good in guiding us through the menu. Our dinner was excellent. We definitely will return.Special Features:
- They had everything on my list!DocorthoDined on 8/10/2014Food was great! service attentive. interesting decor. Should leave a bread (awesome) basket on the table, instead of having to ask. Very creative deserts.Special Features:
- Limited MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Overall good dining experience but found the menu to be a bit limited. Portions are small.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOgeecheetravelerDined on 8/10/2014Not having been to The Grocery for dinner service, I can only comment on Sunday brunch - which really was very good. We had the shrimp and grits which was very tasty, the French toast which was a huge hit, and the Frank and Beans which really had the BEST combination of flavors. Death by Mimosa was yummy, but I was disappointed in the Bloody Mary which didn't have much flavor. My husband asked for salt to try to pick it up but it just was rather bland. Service was fine but in a very un-crowded restaurant it shouldn't take the 5+ minutes it did before we even saw our waiter. Charleston has so many wonderful restaurants that the bar is high, but even with a few minor quibbles, our entire party said they'd love to eat there again.Special Features:
- Sunday funday brunchUSAFWifeDined on 8/10/2014After church, my husband and I like to try different restaurants for brunch. The grocery has an excellent brunch menu. We plan to try their dinner menu in the future too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved The Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014U can try lots of small plates. Great dessert too. Would definitely recommend. Comfortable setting and great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu disappointmentMereDined on 8/2/2014The food was great and service was good however, I specifically came here to try a dish that was listed on the menu provided by the open table app (scallop and pork belly dish). When we got there, I found out They were no longer offering it!! I was beyond disappointed. The alternate dish I selected was good but I wanted what I came there for. They didn't offer to make it for me which I was hoping would be an option. Great visit overall but I wish the menu was updated...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell in Love!LwillsonDined on 8/2/2014Our first time to The Grocery, it definitely won our taste buds over! Be adventurous at The Grocery and you will NOT be disappointed. The Okra was excellent, as well as the piggy plate and squid. I will have to say, hands down, the sweet corn ice cream w/ candied bacon was one of the best desserts I've ever had. If it's on the menu... SAVE ROOM! The chef really knows what they're doing. We tried to go back again for more dessert the next night but they were closed. Go a little earlier on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!charlestonchicDined on 8/2/2014Everything was wonderful from cocktails to dessert. The sides are fantastic -- loved the cauliflower, eggplant, tomatoes and warm beets. All were farm fresh and in prepared in a sophisticated yet accessible way. The mains (we had fish) were wonderful -- they were cooked perfectly and served on fresh vegetable combinations that were flavorful and unique. Décor is rustic/industrial/hipster chic -- not exactly romantic/intimate but fun, loud and the perfect place for a celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definitely ReturnlovefoodwinetravelDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful food combinations with fresh local ingredients. Every dish was creatively prepared to please the taste buds of the most critical of foodies. Many healthy options too. Great new find in Charleston. I would rank them in the top 10% of all restaurants in the area for sure. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- IPAGirlDined on 8/2/2014We loved it!!! Interesting, delicious food choices and a great wine list. The service was excellent as well. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous !PrincessDIVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a terrific assortment of dishes. The oysters were amazing. THe bee liner fish entree was wonderful. the duck breast tasted pretty great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The groceryPman22Dined on 8/1/2014Wow! It was so good. I don't normally post these kind a things but I felt like I had to after eating such a great meal. The chicken was soo good and cooked perfectly. I took my mom and she is a picky eater and they got all of her requests right which helped and the food was just so good. I have eaten at several hot spots in charleston and I rank the grocery as an almost underdog to some of the bigger names. I rank it in the top 5 in the whole city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 820 reviews are from the The Grocery reviews archive.
- Healthy and ChillTommyDined on 7/27/2014Enjoyed it from top to bottom, great time. Food was great and there were plenty of healthy options which is a nice change of pace downtown.Special Features:
- great find!singtravVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great food, a variety of innovative dishes very well executedSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable & Memorablecoreye30Dined on 7/26/2014We met some friends here for dinner. Really enjoyed the food. We shared a charcuterie plate and a bottle of wine to start. We then ordered a side and meal to share with our spouses. Food was very good, fresh, and tasty. Service was great. It was a bit loud when we first walked in and set down (in an old building, might not have the best acoustics) but we were able to talk at our table without distraction from it (or we got used to it). I'd recommend this place. Lots of great bars on King St to grab drinks before/after the meal.Special Features: