The Grilled Oyster Company
7943 Tuckerman Ln
Potomac, MD 20854Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Grilled Oyster Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thegrilledoystercompany.com/
- Phone: (301) 299-9888
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Grilled Oyster Company
The Grilled Oyster Company is a regionally inspired fresh seafood & raw bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Grilled Oyster Company - Best Restaurants in Potomac ›
The Grilled Oyster Company reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (107)fit for foodies (61)great for lunch (41)good for groups (32)special occasion (27)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (18)notable wine list (14)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (11)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (10)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- ReviewerVIPDined on 11/18/2014*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their best nightPatron20854VIPDined on 11/15/2014We eat here frequently. This was an off night. The food was over-sauced, salty on one dish and the other was not hot when it arrived. The server barely visited the table and the management could not care less when we expressed what was wrong. It will be a while before we go back. It is a shame because it is usually very good.Special Features:
- A fun, casual night out.anniespaVIPDined on 11/15/2014This place has become our go to when we want something simple and convenient. This time the specials were uninteresting and we felt rushed by the server. Usually a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb serviceCarol403Dined on 11/12/2014This neighborhood gem has great food, great service and caters to those with special needs. The staff was great with assisting with my elderly Mom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spm39VIPDined on 11/8/2014Consistently been very good. Finally the staff is friendly!Special Features:
- Amazing food in the hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/7/2014Located in a strip-mall in Potomac, you'd never expect to find such fine seafood as we found at the Grilled Oyster Company. Outstanding raw bar with a great selection of pacific northwest and east coast oysters and fantastically prepared fish with subtle sauces. Great beers on tap, the wine list was weak. If the service was improved, and they did something about the over the top noise, this would be a 5 star restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great ExperienceRandyVIPDined on 11/7/2014We can always count on a delicious meal at the Grilled Oyster Company. From the pre-appetizer veggie and breadstick-type greeting, to the traditional oysters, shrimp, crab cakes and salmon, the food is well prepared and scrumptious! So glad the Grilled Oyster is in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- Nice local option, a bit pricyGiorgioDined on 11/1/2014Located in a wholly unattractive strip mall, this local gem served up some delicious and well- prepared fair. The harvest salad was fresh and tasty. The fried oysters were plump, moist, and lightly fried just right. The stuffed founder special was delicious and done to a nice crispness. It spent just a little too much time crisping as the bottom was difficult to cut but yielded a satisfying crispiness to the teeth. Can't recall what fish entry my spouse had but she thought it delicious. Pricing is a little rich (one shared salad, one shared app, two entres, no drinks, $105 including 20% tip) but do not let that dissuade a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014We have been to this restaurant many times. The food and service are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good FoodWally103Dined on 11/1/2014The good is always good as it the bar tender. The rest of the service is mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 10/24/2014First visit. The food was simply mediocre. We will not return.
- You Can Count on Grilled OystersurfergirlVIPDined on 10/23/2014Every week my friends and I meet for lunch and every week we enjoy lunch together at our fave neighborhood haunt! Great salads, chicken wrap sandwich huge and dish. Fish tacos fair! Service stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood DelightchefnanaVIPDined on 10/20/2014Great oysters and crab cakes fixed the old fashioned Maryland way. The Grilled Oyster Company is a great neighbor gem. Glad we found it on Open Table! ChefnanaSpecial Features:
- Great Local OystersMojoVIPDined on 10/19/2014I loved the selection of oysters. We tried 4 different kinds and they were all really good. I also like the opening free carrots, celery and crackers with dip. Service has improved too.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and service!brador59Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I visited the area for a conference and found this restaurant on OpenTable and decided to give it a try. I travel to New York and worked in Las Vegas at avenue with two Scott Conant restaurants, and I put the food at the Grilled Oyster on par or better than the restaurants I frequented in New York and Vegas, especially at this price point. Service was also excellent, and the crab cakes are awesome, as were the scallops recommended by our waiter. Probably both some of the best we had ever had. This place was definitely worth the trip, and great value for the money.Special Features:
- A Potomac Neighborhood gem!gdeatsDined on 10/17/2014Pleasantly surprised to find this gem of a restaurant nestled away in the neighborhoods in Potomac, MD. Food is good and you get plenty. The staff go above and beyond to make your dining experience memorable and keep you coming back. I will certainly dine here again and again! Good eats! Felicia E.Special Features:
- A fun night outanniespaVIPDined on 10/11/2014Very good food, reasonably priced wine list. Our new go to place for a causal dinner. Extremely friendly. Just a bit too noisy.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Seafood PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014I had been seeing the Grilled Oyster company on Open Table as one of our local resturants. My wife and I decided to try it on our useual Wednesday inght dinner out schedule. We were pleasnatly surprised and please by botrh the quality of the selection and the food itself. It has a great seafood menu. We will definagtely return to this local gem. The only draw back was it was a little noiseySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forever favesurfergirlVIPDined on 10/2/2014Salads excellent! Specials are hilights! Service is what you hope for in a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Quite GoodPiccolaDined on 10/1/2014To be honest, I was a little concerned about the strip mall location for a quiet romantic dinner for two. But the ambiance was quite nice, and the food was, while not spectacular, quite good. They seem to be a little heavy on the sauces on the main dishes, but the fish was fresh and the raw bar was excellent. The wine list, while nothing special, had something for every taste and complemented the menu.Special Features:
- A bit disappointing this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/30/2014The last time we went, it was great -- food, service, etc. This time they forgot one appetizer until reminded well after 1st was delivered. Fries were cool; coleslaw was limp, and lobster was dried out as was the filet mignon. Our waiter did give us a free dessert to compensate. Because we sat in the dining area, we could not take advantage of the happy hour prices nor buy them and bring to our table. We'll go again though and hope for a better night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/26/2014Have been here twice now and both times had fantastic oysters and main dishes. We will keep coming back!Special Features:
- Convenient and usually goodMortyZVIPDined on 9/22/2014It was an off day for a usually great experience. The food us usually outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayJDL2014Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food, excellent service, excellent location. The complimentary Valet parking was also unexpected and very much appreciated. We came here for lunch and would definitely return / recommend to family/ friends.Special Features:
- Consistently great foodouttakitchenDined on 9/13/2014You can always count on great food at The Grilled Oyster. Salads and entrees are excellent. The noise level is pretty high at the busiest dinner time. Get there early or drop in for a later dinner and the ambiance changes. Much less energetic. Still, the service is like a well-oiled machine. Everyone pitches in, so you're never without attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyable2good2btruDined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent. Came out hot not rushed between apps and entre. Service was very attentive without hoveringSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good- not greatFoodMavenVIPDined on 9/13/2014While tasty (except for the soggy french fries and the Caeser salad whose dressing was mostly chese), nothing was great. For the price point -eh. But it was Saturday night, the worst day to eat out, so maybe it is better on weekday nights.
- Great OystersAdrienneDined on 9/13/2014We tried several of their specialty oyster dishes and they were all delicious and special in their own way, definitely the highlight of the meal. The entree dishes were the lowlight, not bad but could have been better. My sister enjoyed the 3-fish 3 different ways, my father said the mahi-mahi was just okay and I thought the oyster po-boy was just okay. The po-boy to had good flavor with the sauce but too much bread.Special Features:
- Food overcooked in pleasant placedrl13Dined on 9/13/2014I met relatives here for dinner on a Saturday evening. Tucked into a strip shopping center it wasn't quite what I was expecting but the inside is lovely and the service was enthusiastic and knowledgable. My wine choices were good too. However, the seafood was overcooked and tasteless. On the table set for 4 people instead of bread there were 4 carrot sticks, 4 celery sticks and 4 sesame sticks with a bland flavored dip. Looked kind of sad but set the tone for the meal that followed. I ordered ciopine which had steamed shrimp that was steamed to toughness and a bland tomato sauce. The oysters at the beginning were nothing special also. There was a deviled crab starter that was tasty but expensive. Not returning.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceJlkfDined on 9/12/2014Always excellent food and service. One of our favorites.Special Features:
- Fantastic Non-Chain SeafoodLeendaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wow. Imagine finding succulent seafood in a strip mall! Outstanding service, nice ambience, reasonable variety of seafood and non-seafood items. Inventive, approachable wine list. After 2 visits, 1 lunch and 1 dinner, we will make it a regular hangout. Highlights so far are oysters, BBQ shrimp, crab cakes, scallops. Hooray for this find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMichaelDined on 9/5/2014We went after a recommendation from Yelp regarding oyster bars. This is a fine little place in Potomac. The service was friendly, prompt and knowledgable. The oysters and mussels were steamed just right and served hot. The oyster and mussel linguini was fantastic, especially in the spicy tomato broth. Would highly recommend this to anyone loving fresh shellfish.Special Features:
- Pay attention, RickLLV2VIPDined on 9/3/2014Rick is the owner. He isn't there much since they made it to Bethesda magazine. It took way too long to get a glass of wine while I waited for my husband to join me. Food came out FAST. Once my husband finished his soup (which came asap)...out came the entrees. My rockfish was o.k., but the sauce gave it a good grade. My husband's shrimp Caesar was disappointing. CLEAN YOUR SHRIMP! For goodness sakes, you are a restaurant that specializes in seafood. We brought this to the attention of the server and didn't even get an "I'm sorry", which given how often we've eaten there was all we really wanted. It was my husband's first time ordering that dish.
- First visitHankPVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great, if you're a raw oyster fan -- only one of our party of four was. The variety of cooked oyster appetizers is impressive, one of our foursome made a meal of those. I tried a couple of those which were pretty good and a PoBoy Oyster sandwich. It was OK but it was hard to find the oysters in the batter. My wife had a salmon entree which she said was very good.Special Features:
- Continues to pleasePeggyDined on 8/28/2014We've enjoyed a couple of dinners now at the Grilled Oyster Company. The food is consistently good and they have a nice, interesting wine list. In general, we don't feel rushed and the service is good. Would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!Carol403Dined on 8/26/2014Our server was very efficient and made some excellent chooses in how to serve our appetizers. We had ordered several items to share and he presented them one at a time so that we could fully enjoy each item.Special Features:
- GOOD FOOD & FLEXIBLE CHOICES!LoisVIPDined on 8/26/2014Being on a low sodium/no salt regimen, I can always find something good to eat at this destination. Exceedingly caring, the wait staff and kitchen can be relied upon to suggest choices that are tasty and not the usual steamed bland fare. Specializing in fresh seafood, I enjoy these healthy choices and return on a regular basis. When crowded with patrons, the noise level is a decided problem. Come early before the crowds!Special Features:
- Good timeDateVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have had two great experiences here. Very consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended and approved ...ricspicsDined on 8/23/2014Restaurant was strongly recommended by friends who have been multiple times. Food was terrific, service outstanding. The one knock was the loudness, it seemed every table was trying to outshout the next table ... you know you have a an issue when sitting just two feet from someone and you have to lean it and shout. I'm finding this more and more at newly crafted restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great servicedawnindcDined on 8/23/2014Don't judge a book by it's cover. Tucked away in a non-descript strip mall, Grilled Oyster can easily (and mistakenly) be missed. This is a terrific spot. We had dinner there w/ a few couples & everyone raved about their food. They also have a nice raw bar for oysters, etc... My husband adored his calamari (light & lemony). I had the stuffed lobster special--awesome! The service was fantastic too. Our waitress didn't hover, but she kept the food and drink coming all night and was very attentive. For example, one of our friends ordered steak -- the waitress walked by and noticed it wasn't cooked to his liking (he didn't say a thing) and she came back a few minutes later with a brand new dinner for him--unsolicited. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.