The Grille on Laurel
181 E Laurel Ave
Lake Forest, IL 60045Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Grille on Laurel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegrilleonlaurel.com/
- Phone: 8472349660
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:30pm - 2:30pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Satuday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm (bar open until 1:00am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We prepare and serve food for all types of events, occasions and functions. From an up-scale lavish event to the more casual and less formal affairs, the food and service is a critical component to having a successful event, making our role very important. Let us bring the success to your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: The Grille on Laurel is the perfect setting for your next special occasion. Whether you are planning a bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, surprise birthday bash, or a corporate luncheon, you and your guests will enjoy an incredible dining experience and impeccable service with great attention to every detail.
- Private Party Contact: Patricia 8472349660
- Entertainment: Our comfortable bar becomes quite the meeting place on the weekends when our talented performers entertain in the lounge. Performers include, Marjorie Stroud, Predrag, Dave Allen and Warren Beck.
A word from The Grille on Laurel
“This hidden gem, which is nestled along the tracks with a pretty flower-laden courtyard for dining, is one to put on regular rotation. Modern and chic, the dining room, with its black and white photos, dark wood seating and black leather half-banquettes that sit below an inset circular ceiling, is a great place for power lunches and weekend munchies. The lounge, which is separated from the dining room by a two-sided flagstone fireplace, is perfect for grabbing quick bites and catching a game. As for the food, it's hard to lose. Among starters, the garlicky shrimp de jonghe is rivaled by sweet-but-savory French onion soup that's better than what you find at most French bistros. An absolute must to follow is the macadamia nut-crusted grouper, which is cloaked in Greek-inspired herbs and served with a creamy-dreamy lemon-butter sauce. The Prime filet is no slouch either, especially when it's paired with grilled, still-crispy veggies and zesty mac 'n' cheese.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Grille on Laurel - Best Restaurants in Lake Forest ›
The Grille on Laurel reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (54)neighborhood gem (41)great for lunch (18)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (8)fit for foodies (7)romantic (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Well will returnslou1124Dined on 9/13/2014Had dinner before a show at the Genesee so we were in a bit early but the place had a few diners. Service was prompt, food was very good, the warm brie appetizer was excellent my grouper was very tasty, my wife had a salad and shrimp cocktail, all up to standards. Had the creme brulee' and bread pudding dessert bites to finish, both tasty and presented well. Our wait staff was attentive bur bot overbearing when we told them we were heading to the show they made sure to process our check quickly. A very nice spot for a pre-show dinner. We will be back.Special Features:
- good basic foodLike2eatitalianVIPDined on 9/6/2014A varied basic menu. very open to filling special requests.Special Features:
- birthday!trac429Dined on 8/24/2014We went here for my brothers birthday dinner. The whole family couldn't stop raving about they're food. We had chicken piccata, rib, 2 different types of steaks, pasta and lamb chops! Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodGreensLoverVIPDined on 8/22/2014Rain or shine, The Grille always delivers. The three of us wanted a nice dinner outside on the patio, but unfortunately, the weather was not good, but that was the only dissapointment. Dining inside in the lounge was perfect Saturday night. The BBQ and Greek Salmon was awesome. The bar was hopping, and the piano player was really good and obviously well known. Our server Nancy, who has served us before, was attentive and a lot of fun. The bartenders always pour a great drink, and in general, the restaurant consistently knows how to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightchicagoVIPDined on 8/15/2014Service and food very disappointing. Slow non attentive service. Food was not good.
- great foodkylieDined on 8/15/2014My family and I came here to celebrate a couple different things altogether and we liked it. The restaurant itself provides a really great environment. Although it did feel like it took a while to receive our food, all of our dishes were fantastic. Big portions and great flavors. Everyone really enjoyed their dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodbarDined on 8/13/2014Three for a birthday dinner. Everything good except my entre - BBQ chicken. Considering the prices, salads should be included with dinners. Cocktails were good, ambiance was fine, not over-crowded and seating was satisfactory. Have had excellent lunches there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a nice meal in Lake ForesthappybakerVIPDined on 8/10/2014I hadn't been to The Grille on Laurel in a number of years, but I'm glad we opted for a change of pace. The menu offers a wide selection of options for every taste, including a delicious combination of veggies, spinach and quinoa that keeps up with today's tastes. The basics are well done, and the brisket sandwich and roasted chicken were big hits, as were several of the entree salads. The kitchen needs to learn how to prepare seafood better if they are going to feature it. Scallops and shrimp were not grilled as promised on the menu, but appeared poached/drowned in a sea of lemon butter sauce. Returned to the kitchen, they came out overcooked with slight grill marks, as though the kitchen wanted to "fix" them....not good.Special Features:
- Patio PerfectionSusieDined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed a scrumptious spanakopita paired with a Mediterranean salad. The flavored were fresh and crisp, the wait staff attentive and friendly. We lingered for a long time and enjoyed many drink refills on a warm sunny day. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AZLollyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Ordered the Wed special which was Pot Roast. I was a little hesitant but saw it on another diners plate while they set our table up to 6 from a 4 top and it looked excellent. Well, what a pleasant surprise; it was seasoned perfectly and very lean but still very tender-one of the best I've had eating out. Would definitely order again if on the menu.Special Features:
- Great for business dinner.markstakeonthingsDined on 8/4/2014Very nice and reasonable for a casual business dinner.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchJeriDined on 8/3/2014Very reasonable price for a good brunch. The only problem was that one had to serve one salad over the bowl for the other. My friend is allergic to strawberries and someone had dropped strawberries from one salad into the bowl of the other salad - fortunately, she noticed the piece of strawberry before eating any of the salad, but it could have been a problem - suggest that the foods not be placed in front/back positions, although I realize that the limited space makes that difficult. BTW, love the red shades on the lights!
- Nice but food so-soabcdDined on 8/2/2014My chicken was dry and baked sweet potato tasteless and over cooked. Waiter was attentive and friendly other than he forgot to put in our friend's order for soup. Did make up for it with a desert. Nice outdoor area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatolawsalDined on 7/29/2014We sat outside, which was really nice. The patio is spacious, but let it be known that the passenger train runs frequently across the street to downtown. Staff wasn't very knowledgeable about wine-food pairings but was very nice and attentive.Special Features:
- Terrific foodcookieDined on 7/27/2014Would recommend this for its food and it's brunch on Sundays.Special Features:
- The grilleDiningwithfriendsDined on 7/24/2014Great food and atmosphere but the service left a horrible taste in our mouths. She was rude and seemed irritated with us right from the beginning. Seemed very put out to bring us requested items. When asked again would question us the customers that she thought we didn't ask for that. Last straw when paid she came back to our table and questioned us on her tip. Not only awkward but very unprofessional. We tipped but not high because we were really annoyed with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies' Birthday Lunch PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/24/2014Celebrating a birthday with girlfriends was perfect at The Grill. The food choices met everyone's taste preferences, the service wonderful, and birthday surprise treat (complimentary) delicious. Sitting outside in a beautiful garden setting made the occasion feel very special.Special Features:
- Nice Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I am not a, "foodie," but I thought dinner at the Grille on Laurel was excellent. I typically do not order seafood, but the crab cake appitizer was excellent, and my macademia nut crusted grouper was also delicious. The restaurant interior is very nice and the outdoor seating area was also very enjoyable. There are less expensive sandwiches/burgers available, but for mixed drinks, two appetizers and two nice meals, plan to spend $100-$120 per couple for dinner. Our server was very polite and attentive. While the restaurant accomodates patrons wearing jeans, a collared shirt is appropriate. A nice place to take a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014My kids took me here for my birthday dinner. We were disappointed with both the service and food. Our waiter seemed to treat us as an afterthought, he was not attentive or cheerful. I know it was burger night & was very busy. I ordered a drink and 15 minutes later had to ask him if it was coming. Food was also disappointing. My son ordered a strip steak medium rare and it came medium well. He didn't want to fuss so ate it. My filet topped with mushroom was very "charred tasting", I love filets and this was not a good tasting one at all. Also, the waiter knew it was my birthday but did not acknowledge it. Very disappointed. Will still come for lunch with friends as the salads are great and we love the outdoor ambiance.Special Features:
- Just what was neededOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2014The scene and the food was great... as advertised in Yelp.Special Features:
- Burger NightGreensLoverVIPDined on 7/6/2014The burgers are without question, the best. We enjoyed ours on the patio in perfect weather which takes it to another's level of happy. The service was attentive and fun. You can't miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner reviewlferriDined on 6/28/2014The food was average. Our server did not come to ask if we wanted more beverages nor did she come to ask us if our food was good. The restaurant was not that busy so there was not a good reason for the lack of attention.
- Food great service lackingMarco780Dined on 6/26/2014Lovely atmosphere and decor. The food was delicious particularly the whitefish and accompanying potatoes and spinach. What would have made the meal better was more attentive service and facial recognition on the part of our server that we were there. At times like this I always plan to return because of good food and hope for better service. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night, done rightGreensLoverVIPDined on 6/24/2014Our evening was wonderful. The patio is pure bliss, and so glad that management has added the placemats for the outside tables. Our dinner was awesome, I had the seafood brochette which was so flavorful and grilled just the way I ordered it , my husband had the filet and was happy with his steak, and that yummy Mac and Cheese. I really loved the green beans which were perfection; not overlooked and seasoned with a light touch. The Grille is still the best around for good, unfussy food and a fun staff. It never disappoints. Ask for Roy, he's just great!Special Features:
- Begged for breadQueen7Dined on 6/21/2014We had 4 people and were served 3 rolls. Asked for more and got 3 more. We were tired of begging. Cheapest thing they could have served and they were rationing it! My husband loved the French Onion Soup. Greek Salmon and coffee were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinerVIPDined on 6/20/2014Great patio but when the fog from Lake Michigan rolled in over the trees it turned quite chilly. The hostess happily found us a table inside and alerted our waiter so our dinners were able to be served without being carried outside first. Their dessert menu includes a choice of small portions of desserts so we ordered 3 different items, the bread pudding was the winner with its buttery caramel sauce. Since the patio is on the east side of the building (most seats are shaded by dinner) we will pay closer attention to the "cooler near the lake" temperature report and give the patio a try again since it is nicely landscaped and comfortable distance away from the street.Special Features:
- Great outdoor place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/16/2014My wife and I dinner on Monday. Great deal on burgers on Mondays with an excellent outdoor dinning spot. Food was great and service was also. Ask for Roy as a waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodDined on 6/13/2014This was our first visit and we were celebrating our anniversary. A family member had made the reservation and mentioned that fact and as a nice touch we were greeted by our server with a quick "Happy Anniversary". As for food and drink - I had a very good martini and our dinners were very good and reasonably priced. The service was a little lacking because we had to wait to catch our waiter's eye each time to ask for other drinks and refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu, pleasant atmosphereLJAYDined on 6/7/2014Nice varied menu with good food. Nice atmosphere, plenty of room for each table.Special Features:
- Lake Forest comfortable restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Service not good. Had ask. For a different server because was ignored by first one. New one was fine . He did make a mistake and didn't omit cheese as requested but apologized several times and offered to correct. Rolls were not warm and should have been to seem fresh. Veal speci al was just ok-too saucy and not that appealing looking. Restaurant is comfortable and mgr seemed eager to please and correct.Special Features:
- Marginal as alwaysVerydisappointedVIPDined on 6/7/2014Wish I enjoyed it but..food is still very marginal at best, awful atmosphere, very loud and packed in tables with lame service yet it isn't a bargain by any means
- Great findHollyGDined on 6/6/2014I went to the Gennesse Theater Friday night and was looking for a nice restaurant open later then 10PM. The decor was fabulous and there was a musician playing. Great find and everyone loved their meals!Special Features:
- Always very good but never greatKatieBVIPDined on 6/1/2014I've reviewed the Grille before and I will repeat myself here. The menu is great and the dishes are well prepared, but there are always a few jarring lapses. On sunday night they were out of salmon, which is a really popular choice around here. There is a pile of dirty dishes right by the door where you enter. The hostesses are pleasant, but raggedy clothes and dirty hair. It could be so much more uplifting to enter and be seated. These are just Nitpicking remarks, I guess, but they just never show the edge that they should and could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok; service terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014I understand there was a wedding going on in the back room, which put everyone orders behind. Our server was working the main room and outside dinning. Poor planning on managments part for staffing. Wine bucket was tipped over and was left for sometime while staff and patrons stepped over the pool of water. The staff was waiting for the bus boy to clean it up. Finally the hostess came over to start cleaning. Had to ask twice for our daughter's soda. Waiter came to take order; had to ask for specials. Kitchen was very slow; waiter came over a few times to tell us our order was next; finally came 25 mintues after the second time we were told our order was up. Food was luke warm. Did not wait for desert or coffee; poor experience.
- No need to goamjogoVIPDined on 5/31/2014Service was awful. Waiter was rude. Food had no taste at all!!!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and mealKimberlyDined on 5/30/2014The Grille is fabulous on Friday nights, when they always have great entertainment! The food is consistently good, with an excellent entrée selection and we love all the bar and wait staff. Their blackened Mahi Mahi sandwich was so good, that we were there 2 Fridays in a row. The ambience in the bar is wonderful, along with their beautiful patio dining in the summer months. We will continue to have dinner at the Grille regularly and it's one of our favorite spots. Their staff make it very welcoming and a fun place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You could do betterGreatVIPDined on 5/24/2014Nice outdoor space. Average food and service. Menu un-inspiredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 115 reviews are from the The Grille on Laurel reviews archive.
- Kitchen Foul UpMartoneVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our reservation was honored; we were seated; order taken and we then waited an hour and a half for the food to be served. It was not the fault of the server; the hostess came to the table and apologized and comped the entire meal for the four of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy NightYummyDined on 5/16/2014We had such an amazing time at the Grille on Laurel! But the manager in the front said it would be just a couple of minutes and asked if we would like to wait in the bar and have a cocktail. We did and the bartenders were funny, nice and made an amazing martini. The manager at the front said it would be 15 to 20 minutes and she was spot on. The staff was very attentive and very fast. I didn't feel rushed though, which happens at so many restaurants. The restaurant was packed! We got a great table, nice server and the food was spot on. We will be back for sure and suggest this place to all of our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A big disappointmentpnt225VIPDined on 4/27/2014We went for brunch as it had been written up favorably. The buffet table looked like card tables with cheap linens thrown over it. The lox was not real - it was that electric orange stuff. The service was completely nonexistent. We wont be going back.