The Grill Room
1050 31st St. NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grill Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegrillroomdc.com/
- Phone: 202-617-2424
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 10:00am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jakob Esko
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is currently not available
- Entertainment: Smooth Jazz Background Music
- Special Events: The Grill Room features an exquisitely designed private dining space, accommodating for up to 12 guests, and the perfect signature space for all your special occasions. Whether you are hosting an intimate birthday celebration, meeting, or exclusive dinner, our executive chef and team will be here to customize your unique and memorable experience.
Our Executive Boardroom (seats up to 14) and is accessible from a staircase that descends from The Rye Bar into a private meeting space, furnished with state-of-the art technology and our signature Capella service is on hand throughout your event to anticipate every detail
A word from The Grill Room
Tucked up along the historic C&O Canal, a national park that threads through the Georgetown neighborhood, The Grill Room specializes in hand-cut, bone-in, artisan meats, bracingly fresh seafood and tableside preparations. Framed with a wall of floor to ceiling windows and fluid geometric lines, the ambiance is one of relaxed refinement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Grill Room reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (38)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (33)romantic (29)scenic view (22)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (15)hot spot (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great business dinneranthonyVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great business dinner. Food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- A Surprise Birthday DinnerPromiseDined on 10/3/2014My husband surprised me for my birthday with dinner and a play. I was pleasantly surprise when we arrived at the restaurant. The decor was eclectic with upscale ambiance. The waiters were very attentive from the moment we sat down. My husband had the 40 day dry aged RIb Eye. It was melt in your mouth delicious. I order the Halibut was was good a well need a little extra sauce. For dessert the restaurant gave me a complementary dessert. I really enjoyed myself and would recommend this restaurant 100%Special Features:
- a lovely birthday eveningMellovesfoodDined on 9/30/2014I chose this restaurant based on the menu and location for a quiet, special birthday dinner for my boyfriend. We sat on the patio, overlooking the georgetown b&o canal and the view was so lovely! The service at the restaurant was fabulous: they knew we were celebrating a birthday and they made every effort to make us feel special and taken care of. Complimentary champagne and desert was such a treat for such a fancy restaurant. The food was also amazing: we finished almost every bite, which we rarely do! It is a little dark on the patio, but they brought us a candle, which brightened things up and made for a very romantic ambiance. This place is a gem.Special Features:
- World ClassdpdcVIPDined on 9/23/2014This is a superb restaurant in a world class luxury hotel -- Capella. The food was delicious, the terrace dinning along the C&O canal spectacular, and the service gracious and elegant. The bar's rye based drinks are not only trendy but creative and excellent. And, the offer by the Director of Sales to show their exquisitely designed and executed hotel was truly gracious -- if you have a chance, do not miss the roof top lounge, with an infinity pool no less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gem!HungryGirlDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I came to celebrate his birthday. We sat outside by the canal which was very romantic. A little dark, but romantic. The food was great - I am gluten-free and they substituted a vegetable ragout for the original side dish that was fantastic. My only complaints would be that I couldn't really see the food I was eating and that I paid $10 for a little pot of mashed potatoes (but I guess that went with the price point of the rest of the menu). All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and LocationJDL2014Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent service and food. Location is wonderful in the center of Georgetown and right next to the C & O canal. The complimentary valet parking was a added bonus would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wanted to love it...GreedyGumdropsDined on 9/19/2014When scanning Open Table for a restaurant I'd never been to, I found The Grill Room. Given the location, hotel affiliation and write-ups, I instantly booked a reservation. Upon arrival, ALL of the staff were very welcoming and attentive, which continued during our stay. The ambiance and decor were on point, from the dining area, outdoor heated patio and restrooms. The one and MAJOR drawback was the food itself. The weekday menu was not extensive but the offerings were inviting. We were disappointed with our picks as we expected a more "fine dining" and "fresh taste" experience with our omelettes and blueberry pancakes, which aren't difficult. I really wanted to love it but couldn't. Sorry but it tasted like room service or cafeteria food.
- Just nice to sit outsideSadSaxVIPDined on 9/17/2014The canal was nice to overlook while dining outside and service was average but left very disappointed in my lunch.
- YCookDined on 9/15/2014I celebrated my birthday and that of a friend's at the Grill Room, and the evening was outstanding, truly memorable! The food, ambience, and staff were perfectly orchestrated. I can't wait to plan my next celebration there.Special Features:
- Great DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent. Starter of bone marrow a special treat. Waiter was helpful and pleasant. Beautiful ambience, classy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone CaredOperaAppreciatorDined on 9/8/2014A friend and I have adopted this place because the food and drink are very good and the people who serve you are both unfailingly discrete and quite attentive. On choices, both my friend and I know only what we like and we order that. Here we have always found something we like on the food and wine menus that is interesting and tasty and sufficient to our appetites. And when, as occurred the other night, what we enjoyed on a past visit is not on the menu, we discovered that the chef had not forgotten how to make it and was willing to do so. And it helps that the fellows serving us remember our choices. They even connected a visit by my daughter with her company to me. That's caring.Special Features:
- not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2014Food was great but our server was very inattentive. I sent the restaurant a note..I had 2 clients with me & they noticed the lack of attention..& the place was not that busy..Our bill was over $600 and I had to think about the tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Spot!foodfiendVIPDined on 9/1/2014It was a last minute reservation for my birthday and what a gem we found. The host greeted me with birthday wishes as I told them what we were celebrating. It's picturesque next to the historic C & O canal. The service was superb, the perfect amount of attentiveness for a romantic dinner. Food was phenomenal! We ordered the peaches and burrata salad, crab cake and scallops with a baked Alaska for dessert. Our server even brought us chocolates because I love chocolate! Fantastic experience! Gorgeous ambiance! Wonderful staff! Exceptional menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice locationFoodieVIPDined on 9/1/2014Attentive service, ok menu. While it is a grill room, if you have a vegetarian with you skip this place.Special Features:
- Great valuechrissieVIPDined on 9/1/2014The three-course lunch special for $29 was outstanding value for your money. In my case the entree was a large piece of grilled rock fish accompanied by lemon-fennel risotto. It was excellent, as was the strawberry gazpacho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!outoftenVIPDined on 9/1/2014The ambiance was perfect and the food was wonderful. Although very pricey, I recommend The Grill for a special lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTgidgetgirl4VIPDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food, atmosphere,wait staff . would visit again and highly suggest THE place to eat while in Georgetown.Special Features:
- Great BarSpiritsDinerDined on 8/25/2014While the restaurant was wonderful, the Rye Bar was incredible. Classic upscale bar with a great selection of classic cocktails and whiskeys. Definitely a good place for entertaining clients as well as personal dates.Special Features:
- Excellent food, quiet locationmitfanDined on 8/23/2014Went to the Grill Room on Saturday night. The food and its presentation were wonderful. Enjoyed their sparkling wine service, with a glass of Domaine Carneros from Taittinger along with the Roast Duck breast in Rhubarb sauce. My wife had the grilled halibut, and my daughter had the Rotisserie Chicken -- all outstanding. Dessert was the Chocolate for two -- which was really enough for 3. Excellent presentation and very delicious!Special Features:
- good food - weak serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014The location is great. Restaurant is very stylish and have a nice outside seating. We ordered yellow fin tuna tartare and beef tartare prepared table side. Both were excellent. As entree we had pork tenderloin and beef tenderloin. The pork was excellent. The beef came well done even it was ordered medium. After some discussion I got a new one. When the new one came the sides were cold. Was only exchanged after explicit asking. The service really need improvement. Water wasn't refilled when the glasses were empty only after asking. The plates stand one the table for ever. The evening was really nice but service and the issue with the entree and the discussion we had if the meat is well-done or medium overcooked left a bitter taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice7Foodie7VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant had great food but the service was a bit slow. The ingredients were very fresh and the combinations worked. I especially enjoyed the apple wood-smoked mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad timingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014My family found this spot on our last trip to dc so we planned dinner there for our next stay. Unfortunately, when we sat down there was already a large group of 25. Let me say that they were very loud and ruined our dinner.Special Features:
- Nice Staff, Good FoodmysteryrocheDined on 8/3/2014The staff were very friendly and efficient and the food was well prepared and tasty. The menu is a bit limited, maybe a bit odd (at least to me) but we were able to find a couple of items that we enjoyed. The location by the canal is nice but that's basically wasted by the fact that there is really no view. The restaurant sits sort of low and the hedge blocks what's left of the view even if you sat out on the deck. The décor is mediocre at best, sort of modern. A decent brunch at a reasonable price served by a nice staff but not really a memorable Georgetown experience. It's not that I would advise against having brunch here but with plenty of better choices close by, I wouldn't encourage it.
- A Georgetown GemrhinosmuseVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had dinner here and were lucky enough to score a table on the terrace. Perfect setting for a perfect meal. Service was unparalleled and the food was memorable. The atmosphere and restaurant overall was warm, inviting, intimate and sophisticated all at the same time. While this was our first visit, it surely is not our last!Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsBaileyDined on 7/26/2014Reserved outdoor table on patio overlooking a canal. Quiet, great food, outstanding service. Romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor servicedukeprincessVIPDined on 7/19/2014I dined here on Saturday night and the food was absolutely outstanding. The ambiance is very quiet, but modern and it is also a popular date night spot because it has small tables outside overlooking the canal. Although the food was amazing, the service was lackluster. We had to ask our waiter for the complimentary bread, while other tables were given the bread upon receiving their complimentary water. Also, it took our waiter forever to give us our dessert menus and take our check. Upon going to the restroom, I passed the kitchen, where I noticed all of the servers, including the hostess, chatting and congregating, which I found pretty rude. I'd recommend this restaurant for the food, but I do not know if I will return.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceAnnlovesfoodVIPDined on 7/11/2014What a great experience! From the moment we say down to when we left all aspects of the evening were fabulous. The service was notable and out meal was truly outstanding. All four of us were impressed. The tuna tartare and beef tenderloin were stand outs. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent addition to GeorgetownOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great pre fixe menu for lunch. Food is beautifully prepared and excellently served. Nice to have somewhere else beside Fiola Mare to eat in Georgetown for a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect!CupcakeDined on 6/28/2014Decided to dine here for my girlfriend's birthday. I requested a romantic table for two with extra candles and a decent view. The table was nice, but the two extra candles came to the table while we were having dinner? Then some guy approaches our table not sure who he was but he was friendly, and very awkward. I'm still not sure who is was. Our server Abdel was great and greated me within seconds of my arrival with a pretty good wine list minutes later my girlfriend arrives and as soon as she sat down she was greated with roses. After making reservations you're given the option to order flowers and have them delivered to your table...very nice touch. Oh yes the food! We ordered the halibut and it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- heaven in GeorgetownFFRegularVIPDined on 6/27/2014Fabulous food and staff. Husband and I really enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- The following 78 reviews are from the The Grill Room reviews archive.
- Fabulous Food But....lhaglundDined on 6/21/2014The food was fabulous but, the service needs improvement. After our wine came, the server disappeared for over 45-50 minutes. We flagged down a different server (who seemed put out and annoyed) to order appetizers. Then it took another 20-25 minutes for the appetizers to arrive. We sat there for almost 1 hour and 30 minutes before any food arrived at our table. Ridiculous. There were many birthdays that evening and for some reason my spouse's desert came without the obligatory candle. Everyone else had one. A bit of a disappointment when you are dropping well over $500 for dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentElenoreVIPDined on 6/14/2014Have eaten here several times including brunch, dinner, lunch. Each time everything was excellent and I have eaten in most of the better restaurants in the area. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- European style diningnannerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Had brunch outside along the canal and felt like I was in Europe. My friend and I loved the Lobster salad. It was just the right size and the desserts were the right size too. Too many restaurants strive for quantity over quality, but at the Grill Room the focus was on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb servicecynthiaDined on 6/7/2014the food was excellent. We wanted New Zealand Savignon Blanc which is not on their wine list and given 24 hours notice they brought two bottles in for us and charged a reasonable price. We sat outside by the canal, great ambience although an occasional mosquito landed. Only complaint was they charged $11 for parking which we thought was excessive given the $300 we had just spend on dinner for three! As parking is difficult in that area, it is important to include.Special Features:
- birthdayVIPDined on 5/24/2014Waiters were friendly but service was very slow. It's nice to be able to sit by the canal, but I would recommend this place for a drink rather than food, which was mediocre and expensive.Special Features:
- Beautiful bar and restaurantSuzyBDined on 5/15/2014Everything was perfect from the service to the food to the ambiance. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicedavidVIPDined on 5/13/2014The entire staff could not have been more peasant or attentive.Special Features:
- bloff restaurantdanielDined on 5/9/2014Nice place and deco but the food is not great. I had the beef tartare it was not good. The 40 day beef cut, was served with baby beet roots and porcini with mash potato that taste like bacon. To many flavors that dont go well together. My wife had the peach salad wich was small and then she had the roasted pig wich was served with potatoes with chorizo. PIG + PIG = BAD CHEF The kids menu veggies where a better mixt. Paid like 250 for the meal. Service was good but not extraordinary. Wont be comming back. Daniel
- Steaks we're on pointNovaPrimeDined on 4/26/2014The menu was not huge which can be a good thing, sometimes having too many choices is overwhelming. My friends any I were in the mood for steak and they have 2 excellent options as well as some other pork options that made me change my cravings. We had a reservation for 9:15pm so it was pretty late for dinner so it was not too crowded, and while we waited they had the Rye bar adjacent to the restaurant and they also had a great liquor selection. Minus a mix up/technical error without reservation it was a great night with good food. PS their Smoked Applewood Mozzarella Stick and Ham was AMAZINGSpecial Features:
- Very special occasionTheSettingIsKeyVIPDined on 4/20/2014We dined her for Easter dinner. The hotel is very elegant, the food unique and the outdoor dining is very special. My 81 year old father was raving about the meal a month later. Very special. The roof deck bar has a spectacular view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.