The Grill Room
1050 31st St. NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grill Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegrillroomdc.com/
- Phone: 202-617-2424
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 10:00am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jakob Esko
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is currently not available
- Entertainment: Smooth Jazz Background Music
- Special Events: The Grill Room features an exquisitely designed private dining space, accommodating for up to 12 guests, and the perfect signature space for all your special occasions. Whether you are hosting an intimate birthday celebration, meeting, or exclusive dinner, our executive chef and team will be here to customize your unique and memorable experience.
Our Executive Boardroom (seats up to 14) and is accessible from a staircase that descends from The Rye Bar into a private meeting space, furnished with state-of-the art technology and our signature Capella service is on hand throughout your event to anticipate every detail
A word from The Grill Room
Tucked up along the historic C&O Canal, a national park that threads through the Georgetown neighborhood, The Grill Room specializes in hand-cut, bone-in, artisan meats, bracingly fresh seafood and tableside preparations. Framed with a wall of floor to ceiling windows and fluid geometric lines, the ambiance is one of relaxed refinement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Grill Room reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (26)fit for foodies (23)romantic (20)special occasion (19)scenic view (16)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (2)Show More
- Great BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014While the restaurant was wonderful, the Rye Bar was incredible. Classic upscale bar with a great selection of classic cocktails and whiskeys. Definitely a good place for entertaining clients as well as personal dates.Special Features:
- Excellent food, quiet locationmitfanDined on 8/23/2014Went to the Grill Room on Saturday night. The food and its presentation were wonderful. Enjoyed their sparkling wine service, with a glass of Domaine Carneros from Taittinger along with the Roast Duck breast in Rhubarb sauce. My wife had the grilled halibut, and my daughter had the Rotisserie Chicken -- all outstanding. Dessert was the Chocolate for two -- which was really enough for 3. Excellent presentation and very delicious!Special Features:
- good food - weak serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014The location is great. Restaurant is very stylish and have a nice outside seating. We ordered yellow fin tuna tartare and beef tartare prepared table side. Both were excellent. As entree we had pork tenderloin and beef tenderloin. The pork was excellent. The beef came well done even it was ordered medium. After some discussion I got a new one. When the new one came the sides were cold. Was only exchanged after explicit asking. The service really need improvement. Water wasn't refilled when the glasses were empty only after asking. The plates stand one the table for ever. The evening was really nice but service and the issue with the entree and the discussion we had if the meat is well-done or medium overcooked left a bitter taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice7Foodie7VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant had great food but the service was a bit slow. The ingredients were very fresh and the combinations worked. I especially enjoyed the apple wood-smoked mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad timingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014My family found this spot on our last trip to dc so we planned dinner there for our next stay. Unfortunately, when we sat down there was already a large group of 25. Let me say that they were very loud and ruined our dinner.Special Features:
- Nice Staff, Good FoodmysteryrocheDined on 8/3/2014The staff were very friendly and efficient and the food was well prepared and tasty. The menu is a bit limited, maybe a bit odd (at least to me) but we were able to find a couple of items that we enjoyed. The location by the canal is nice but that's basically wasted by the fact that there is really no view. The restaurant sits sort of low and the hedge blocks what's left of the view even if you sat out on the deck. The décor is mediocre at best, sort of modern. A decent brunch at a reasonable price served by a nice staff but not really a memorable Georgetown experience. It's not that I would advise against having brunch here but with plenty of better choices close by, I wouldn't encourage it.
- A Georgetown GemrhinosmuseVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had dinner here and were lucky enough to score a table on the terrace. Perfect setting for a perfect meal. Service was unparalleled and the food was memorable. The atmosphere and restaurant overall was warm, inviting, intimate and sophisticated all at the same time. While this was our first visit, it surely is not our last!Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsBaileyDined on 7/26/2014Reserved outdoor table on patio overlooking a canal. Quiet, great food, outstanding service. Romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor servicedukeprincessVIPDined on 7/19/2014I dined here on Saturday night and the food was absolutely outstanding. The ambiance is very quiet, but modern and it is also a popular date night spot because it has small tables outside overlooking the canal. Although the food was amazing, the service was lackluster. We had to ask our waiter for the complimentary bread, while other tables were given the bread upon receiving their complimentary water. Also, it took our waiter forever to give us our dessert menus and take our check. Upon going to the restroom, I passed the kitchen, where I noticed all of the servers, including the hostess, chatting and congregating, which I found pretty rude. I'd recommend this restaurant for the food, but I do not know if I will return.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceAnnlovesfoodVIPDined on 7/11/2014What a great experience! From the moment we say down to when we left all aspects of the evening were fabulous. The service was notable and out meal was truly outstanding. All four of us were impressed. The tuna tartare and beef tenderloin were stand outs. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent addition to GeorgetownOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great pre fixe menu for lunch. Food is beautifully prepared and excellently served. Nice to have somewhere else beside Fiola Mare to eat in Georgetown for a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect!CupcakeDined on 6/28/2014Decided to dine here for my girlfriend's birthday. I requested a romantic table for two with extra candles and a decent view. The table was nice, but the two extra candles came to the table while we were having dinner? Then some guy approaches our table not sure who he was but he was friendly, and very awkward. I'm still not sure who is was. Our server Abdel was great and greated me within seconds of my arrival with a pretty good wine list minutes later my girlfriend arrives and as soon as she sat down she was greated with roses. After making reservations you're given the option to order flowers and have them delivered to your table...very nice touch. Oh yes the food! We ordered the halibut and it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- heaven in GeorgetownFFRegularVIPDined on 6/27/2014Fabulous food and staff. Husband and I really enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food But....lhaglundDined on 6/21/2014The food was fabulous but, the service needs improvement. After our wine came, the server disappeared for over 45-50 minutes. We flagged down a different server (who seemed put out and annoyed) to order appetizers. Then it took another 20-25 minutes for the appetizers to arrive. We sat there for almost 1 hour and 30 minutes before any food arrived at our table. Ridiculous. There were many birthdays that evening and for some reason my spouse's desert came without the obligatory candle. Everyone else had one. A bit of a disappointment when you are dropping well over $500 for dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentElenoreVIPDined on 6/14/2014Have eaten here several times including brunch, dinner, lunch. Each time everything was excellent and I have eaten in most of the better restaurants in the area. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- European style diningnannerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Had brunch outside along the canal and felt like I was in Europe. My friend and I loved the Lobster salad. It was just the right size and the desserts were the right size too. Too many restaurants strive for quantity over quality, but at the Grill Room the focus was on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb servicecynthiaDined on 6/7/2014the food was excellent. We wanted New Zealand Savignon Blanc which is not on their wine list and given 24 hours notice they brought two bottles in for us and charged a reasonable price. We sat outside by the canal, great ambience although an occasional mosquito landed. Only complaint was they charged $11 for parking which we thought was excessive given the $300 we had just spend on dinner for three! As parking is difficult in that area, it is important to include.Special Features:
- birthdayVIPDined on 5/24/2014Waiters were friendly but service was very slow. It's nice to be able to sit by the canal, but I would recommend this place for a drink rather than food, which was mediocre and expensive.Special Features:
- Beautiful bar and restaurantSuzyBDined on 5/15/2014Everything was perfect from the service to the food to the ambiance. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicedavidVIPDined on 5/13/2014The entire staff could not have been more peasant or attentive.Special Features:
- bloff restaurantdanielDined on 5/9/2014Nice place and deco but the food is not great. I had the beef tartare it was not good. The 40 day beef cut, was served with baby beet roots and porcini with mash potato that taste like bacon. To many flavors that dont go well together. My wife had the peach salad wich was small and then she had the roasted pig wich was served with potatoes with chorizo. PIG + PIG = BAD CHEF The kids menu veggies where a better mixt. Paid like 250 for the meal. Service was good but not extraordinary. Wont be comming back. Daniel
- The following 70 reviews are from the The Grill Room reviews archive.
- Steaks we're on pointNovaPrimeDined on 4/26/2014The menu was not huge which can be a good thing, sometimes having too many choices is overwhelming. My friends any I were in the mood for steak and they have 2 excellent options as well as some other pork options that made me change my cravings. We had a reservation for 9:15pm so it was pretty late for dinner so it was not too crowded, and while we waited they had the Rye bar adjacent to the restaurant and they also had a great liquor selection. Minus a mix up/technical error without reservation it was a great night with good food. PS their Smoked Applewood Mozzarella Stick and Ham was AMAZINGSpecial Features:
- Very special occasionTheSettingIsKeyVIPDined on 4/20/2014We dined her for Easter dinner. The hotel is very elegant, the food unique and the outdoor dining is very special. My 81 year old father was raving about the meal a month later. Very special. The roof deck bar has a spectacular view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottVIPDined on 4/19/2014Wonderful as always. WE sat outside which is very special. Service exceptional.Special Features:
- Um, noJG23Dined on 4/18/2014What a disappointment. Plans for a romantic dinner were dampened by a tableful of loudly cackling ladies, along with mediocre food and service. The maitre'd, hostess, and waiters appeared to be no older or experienced than the Georgetown students who frequent this place with their mums and dads. Wife's scallops were ok, but my bone-in rib-eye would have been more appropriate for a Polynesian luau - surprisingly odd flavorings. Cheerful, but overall inattentive service, except for the champagne cart presentation, of course, with it's ridiculously overpriced selections. A spectacular setting, but unfortunately unspectacular in all else -- hasn't got the maturity yet.Special Features:
- World Class Dining in GeorgetownDCCORRODined on 4/10/2014The Capella Hotel's new property on the Georgetown canal brings another world class dining option to DC. Valet parking and the most efficient and pleasant staff make it easy to get into the dining room. The Swedish chef Jakob Esko who is Swiss trained is quite a charming talent Capella brought from their fabulous Singapore property to make sure this hotel started out with the right kitchen expertise. He came to our table and enthusiastically walked us through the menu. We settled on a creamy clam soup, a peach salad that was delicious, fish, and suckling pig. All followed by a tray of baked chocolate treats. All was delicious? Wine list and menu although not huge, have something for everyone. Price reasonable for this class of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/28/2014This place has the absolute best food however it is over priced as expected reading previous reviews. Definitely a awesome place for a special occasion, staff is very accommodating and attentive. Love them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable space, quiet enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/11/2014Comfortable space, quiet enough to have a converstation, excellent foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious LunchMPNHDined on 3/5/2014Celebrated a birthday with a friend at this beautiful restaurant in an intimate Georgetown hotel. Tomato Soup, Corn Chowder, Salmon, Lemon Meringue Tart-all delicious and plated perfectly.. Service was fine, but not exceptional. Very quiet-just a handful of tables. The place is really beautiful-very sophisticated and comfortable room. Terrific view of the canal-should be a great place in the warmer months. Discounted valet parking was $11. At a similar location, the Four Seasons down the street, parking is complimentary when in for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stunning space and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/23/2014I love this hotel and restaurant..the service was excellent...the only problem was how small the portions were for the price....at first, I thought perhaps it was a tapas restaurant...but then when the server said you could share you meal, I was stunned how small the portion sizes were...they don't have to be huge by any means, but an entrée should have more than 2 or 3 bites to it..other than that, the space is gorgeous and the people lovely.Special Features:
- Wonderful nightSusanDined on 2/20/2014Everything about the Grill is notable. Great food, great service, wonderful ambiance (great lighting, really quiet). If you are looking for a really special night this the place to go. Two of us had fish (Trout and salmon) - excellent. Another had pork and the third beef - - no complaints from anyone and we are pretty picky. Go, you will not regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service enhanced the "Food"Hopewel1975Dined on 2/18/2014People at our table ordered from steak to fish to soup/salad and everyone was quite pleased. I personally had the steak and would not change anything. They seemed to cook to temperature. The service was impeccable which help make the evening more enjoyable. Visit here - not too overly priced for DC.Special Features:
- OverpricedGoodFoodDined on 2/14/2014Nice ambience and service but way overpriced. Can't imagine I'll be going back.Special Features:
- Superb. We tried just afterFoodieGeorgetownDined on 2/14/2014Superb. We tried just after it opened in April. It is now fully mature and the menu is innovative and original. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bone marrow with breadSMW4VIPDined on 2/11/2014I have to give 4 stars to a resturant that serves bone marrow with the bread...Just a really good dining experiance for me. I enjoyed the crab cake and I had one of the bone in steaks. A very good meal...you must have the baked alaska for a sweet ending to your meal. Quatlity resturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrific serviceTastebudsVIPDined on 2/11/2014From start to finish, no appetizer, no dessert, one bottle of wine - three hours. And, at that it took several attempts to get someone's attention to get a check so we could leave. Been here three times; the level of service has deteriorated considerably with each visit. As good as the food is, and it is good, it does not (and cannot) compensate for the extremely slow service.
- A gem in Georgetown!BBQueenDined on 2/4/2014Exquisite food, scrumptious and perfectly sized dessserts! Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You don't get what you pay forOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/26/2014I went there for brunch and the restaurant is pretty, stylish, well decorated and I was expecting the food to be at the same level, but it was a huge dissapointment. Plates are extremely small, and the food has nothing special. Cocktails are completely overpriced, and the food is ridiculously expensive for what it is. Not coming back. I totally don't mind spending on food, but in this case it's not worth it.Special Features:
- Everything was really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/20/2014Everything was really good - food and service were wonderful. A little pricey but perfect for taking a client or someone you are trying to impressSpecial Features:
- Top of the ClassLiveFromBoredomVIPDined on 1/18/2014The Grill Room was the perfect dinner for my birthday. The drinks are outstanding made at The Rye Bar, and the food was phenomenal. Not sure if it was due to Restaurant week, but for being considered a steak house, I did think there were very few choices for steak itself, only two in fact at the time of our visit. But none the less, everything we ate was absolutely delicious and superb. We will return for another big occasion celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.