The Grill Room at The Kirby House
2 Washington Ave
Grand Haven, MI 49417Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
The Grill Room at The Kirby House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/
- Phone: 6168463299
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Andrew Sprite
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering and delivery options available. Call Lesa Kicz at 616-846-3299.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining for 5-150. Enjoy a small intimate dinner in the Wine Cellar for up to 20 people, or have a holiday party in K2 for up to 150. The Kirby House can customize your function to meet your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Riley (616)8463299
- Entertainment: The Kirby Grill has Live Entertainment with Live Music every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starting a 9:00PM.
A word from The Grill Room at The Kirby House
The Grill Room offers a different experience. The traditional style chophouse atmosphere and menu reflects that experience. Enjoy the "big city" without the hassles or costs involved in most "big city" experiences. The Grill Room offers the finest in quality aged steaks & chops, fresh fish and fine wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Grill Room at The Kirby House - Best Restaurants in Grand Haven ›
The Grill Room at The Kirby House reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)romantic (6)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (6)fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Service top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Service was exceptional. The waitstaff made sure that we had everything and anything we needed without us asking. Food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ReliableTheophanDined on 9/11/2014The Kirby Grill is always a reliable high-quality choice. It is not the most extensive wine-list or menu around, but everything is assured to be excellent. Plan on dining, not stopping by for a quick meal. Service is typically 33 rpm which should be just find, but folks looking for 45 rpm should go elsewhere. Some days they get a bit overwhelmed and it drops to 25 rpm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining at KirbyLilMoDined on 8/16/2014My sister runs a resort in Grand Haven and when we are in town, we love to dine at the Grill Room - our favorite restaurant in GH. Our favorite is dining at the bar as the bartenders are friendly and attentive. I love the filet with the wedge salad or sautéed spinach. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenominal food and beverages.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was absolutely amazing. The King Crab was the best cooked seafood my wife and I have experienced in a long time, and the Delmonico steak was cooked to perfection. The service was prompt, but not intrusive.Special Features:
- just fairarleneDined on 8/9/2014i was disappointed because i heard how good it was and I feel it was mediocore at best...the clams in broth had no taste and my halibut was tastee was but was a kids size and the aspergus were so tiny not flavorble...it was just ok I expected more..our waiter cle was very nice we just never saw home my other guest also had fair meals...we just wanted more from a better place......arlene g greerSpecial Features:
- Husbands 60th birthday dinnerStairwaytoHeavenDined on 7/26/2014We had a wonderful experience. Our waitress was wonderful. Attentive, prompt, friendly. Food was very good. Great martini's! We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- food and ManagerIndodebDined on 7/25/2014Ordered the Kobe Sirloin with crab and bearnaise sauce. Steak was properly cooked but little flavor. The crab tasted like it came out of a can (fishy tasting). I expected crab pulled out of a leg or claw. Mussels were very good. Next time serve with toasted bread points but definitely not a soft bread. The manager was amazing. I accidently made the reservation for the wrong night. He pulled out another table and made room for my husband and I. Great service from the manager. Our waiter was good until the end when he dissapeared for period of time, while we waited for our bill.Special Features:
- Great FoodweatheajDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed the food at the Grill Room. Steaks, Salmon, and Crab Legs were exquisite. The overall price was high, but it was worth it. Service was great and we enjoyed out server a lot. Would recommend!! After dinner, we made our way down to the dark room for some late night entertainment and drinks. Great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual but romanticBayoufunDined on 7/18/2014Cole, our server, was great! Nice balance of attention and letting us be. Great spot to get out of the sun and enjoy a bit of fine dining. Bananas foster was fabulous! Thank you for a wonderful evening. It was romantic and fun! Who could ask for more. We'll be back. Vodka martini w/3 olives was great! I love that you offer a split of MoëtSpecial Features:
- AnniversarydatenightDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I drove up to Grand Haven for dinner here and had a wonderful meal. Our server was attentive and polite. My only complaint is that a large party with small children was in the room and we chose the grill room because the menu is really more for adults. Our dinner was great. The steaks we ordered were cooked to perfection and the sides were flavorful and delicious. I recommend the horseradish sauce for the steak, it had just the right amount of bite.Special Features:
- Surprisingly badTXTravDined on 7/3/2014For a steakhouse, the food was terribly disappointing. The sides were boiled and bland and the meats were tough and not cooked to the correct temp.
- The following 125 reviews are from the The Grill Room at The Kirby House reviews archive.
- Favorite SpotslbrhbDined on 6/6/2014My go to spot for celebrating special occasions. Jeremy is a great bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Dinner was great, excellent food, good service, excellent food/drink choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic but inconsistentdatenights4everDined on 5/23/2014For a date, the ambience was great, but the food and service were inconsistent. My steak with crab was good, but cooked a little too well for "medium" whereas my wife's salmon was nearly raw and overpowered by the mustard seed tapenade that accompanied it. She didn't finish. We shared a dessert which was delectable and an appetizer which was very good, though messy. The White Zinfandel that I ordered was well chilled and a good quality, but filled less than half the wine glass and was not worth the price - I can get twice the amount of wine elsewhere for that amount. Our waitress was nice and personable, but used a discrepancy in her scheduling and the resulting conversation with her supervisor as an excuse for slowness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experiencenewfavDined on 5/16/2014We had a great dining experience at The Grill Room. The service and food were both excellent! Definitely found a new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The food, atmosphere, and service were great but the meals were a little pricey. Because of this I would only visit on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We had friends from out of town. Went to dinner Saturday night. Food was great!!! We had a wonderful time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50/50cheb93Dined on 5/10/2014One dish, a filet was excellent, the other, seafood linguine, contained overcook shrimp, scallops and mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Kirby Gril Room sizzlesBruceDined on 4/14/2014The Grill Room offers a more intimate and upscale dining experience in beautiful downtown Grand Haven. And during a springtime promotion featuring two entrees for $25 from a limited but tasty menu, the Grill Room also delivers outstanding value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2014Great friendly staff, no pretentious but great food. Go with the bone in ribeye. And great add of titos vodkaSpecial Features:
- evening out with friendspoboxDined on 4/5/2014The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The room was elegant. The food was excellent, cooked to perfection. The saffron risotto was beautifully done as were the steaks and the parmesan chicken. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of FourRickDined on 4/4/2014Both Prime rib orders were not as tender as your usual and garlic mashed potatoes had no garlic or butter. Fish entre not fresh. Scallops didn't satisfy my small appetite wife. Waiter needs to send his shirt out to get laundered. This was not normal for the Grill Room. Was the Chef off for the night?Special Features:
- Tried againXpctgr8foodDined on 3/15/2014There are limited fine dining, good eateries in Grand Haven and we had another special occasion to celebrate. The service was good; Stephanie answered all my questions and brought a sample of the cranberry relish to try. It was tasty. We ordered the forest mushrooms and shrimp app; several salads around the table, disappointing to see such white iceberg lettuce. Most were fine with their food; 2 of the three scallops were not cleaned properly and had grit and very little pan sear. I asked if my side order if brussels sprouts could be pan seared and not steamed because I want to have the crisp outer leaves, they came steamed. Sent them back, reminded of my request; 10 minutes later, same look, lots of liquid and soft brussels.Special Features:
- Both my Date and myself hadBikelover1778Dined on 3/11/2014Both my Date and myself had the whitefish, with bacon brussel sprouts. The fish didn't have any flavor. I doubt that I would try this dish again. I might come back and try something different.Special Features:
- A Fun Night OutSaintdaneDined on 3/1/2014This is a great place to have a nice meal. The menu is a bit pricey, but for special occasions I would highly recommend it. The atmosphere cant be beat and the staff was very friendly. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great.taylormadehefDined on 2/22/2014The food was good, but not great. Our table tried the cedar plank salmon, filet mignon, and prime rib. The meals were good, but we've all had better elsewhere. The restaurant was busy and seemed servers were spread thin, leaving glasses sitting empty for a while. All in all, an okay experience but nothing to rave about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Decent PricesBaLaKayDined on 2/15/2014The food was REALLY good. The service was spot on, however we did have one issue. We had a gift card, and when it was rang up the money was taken off the gift card, but not the bill. This was corrected when the manager was called over, but other thean that the service was great, very fast, and the food was phenomonal. Will definately go back. This was our first visit, but many more to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had our Valentines dinnerKattsDined on 2/14/2014We had our Valentines dinner with Kirby and the nightly specials were very good. All the food was cooked perfectly and very tasty. We like.that the children's menu also includes a steak, since that is my grand-daughters favorite. Delicious dessert selections with a Valentines theme.Special Features:
- GH Best Fine Dining OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2014There's a limited number of choices in Grand Haven for better dining, and this one consistently produces quality meals with a nice "steakhouse" atmosphere. If you're looking for a beach vibe, this is not your place - it's dark wood and leather. While the menu is limited, the steaks are perfectly done & the service fine. You'll eat well and enjoy lounge-y bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedSteveDined on 12/22/2013Went there for our anniversary. Appreciate the low noise. Our server Ben was wonderful. Food was great! Local gem. Thanks Greg and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful OptionsrdefoeDined on 12/14/2013The Grill Room is a great option if you want a quiet place with good food that takes reservations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2013We went for my Birthday last Saturday with a party of six. Great Food! Had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet place to visit off-seasonGrillRoomReviewerDined on 11/24/2013I was pleasantly surprised how tasty the food was. The steak was phenomenal. There is a full bar and lots of sides and desserts. I don't have anything negative to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- online very helpfulsteakmanDined on 11/16/2013really convienent to reserve online so dont have to callSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2013Very good, comfortable restaurant with very good, though not exceptional food. Grill Room is fantastic dining for Grand Haven, but does fall short of being the world class steakhouse we would love to have. Like it a lot, but can't help but wish it was a bit more...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our ExperienceOutofTownersDined on 8/30/2013We met friends here for dinner. From the beginning, our waiter Aaron was great. We put in our children's order right away and he got their order out quickly. He also made a great recommendation for an appetizer and our entrees were amazing as well. Our Grill Room experience was wonderful and set a very high bar for the other restaurants we visited during our stay. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpersonalmollycatDined on 8/16/2013Made a reservation online. Our anniversary. We were placed next to the kitchen door. Seat facing the kitchen door not very festive. For the price paid, not a very good experience. Wont be back.
- Hittin the door.TravelerDined on 8/9/2013They have an Ala Carte menu. I wouldn't mind paying 20.00 for prime rib, but it had better include the rest of the dinner. We left without ordering.
- I had the lamb shank and myLarryDined on 8/1/2013I had the lamb shank and my wife ordered prime rib. Both were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a nice getaway fromEmsieDined on 7/22/2013It was a nice getaway from the usual restaurants in the Grand Rapids area. We walked around Grand Haven afterwards, so it was even more special. The staff was great, especially our waitress. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.