The Grill on the Alley - Westlake Village
120 Promenade Way
Westlake Village, CA 91362Neighborhood:
Agoura Hills / Westlake Village
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Grill on the Alley - Westlake Village
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://thegrill.com/
- Phone: 8054181760x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour and Special Appetizer menu in the bar.
Sunday through Friday 3-7pm
*Please note that we do not accept reservations for Happy Hour or for patio seating.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Sola Private Dining Room can accommodate Parties up to 50, a more intimate room that can accommodate parties up to 11 and a Covered Patio and Lounge area that can accommodate seated events up to 50 and Standing Cocktail Parties up to 80. Menus and options are available. Just call the Restaurant for personal assistance.
- Private Party Contact: Ariella Traficante 8054181760x
A word from The Grill on the Alley - Westlake Village
The Grill on the Alley Westlake is located at The Promenade at Westlake, a Mediterranean-styled outdoor shopping and entertainment center featuring some of the most well respected merchants in the world, including Sur La Table, Barnes & Noble, m. Frederic, Restoration Hardware and Bristol Farms. Curbside take-out service is available.The Grill on the Alley was opened in 1984 as a living tribute to the great American grills of yesterday. In time, it has established itself as one of the country's leading restaurants, praised by writers across the country. The menu is classic American grill - prime steaks, fresh seafood, traditional dishes such as chicken pot pie or meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and homemade desserts. Named to The Fine Dining Hall of Fame by Nation's Restaurant News, The Grill is home of the entertainment industry's "power lunch," but is also open for dinner seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Grill on the Alley - Westlake Village - Best Restaurants in Agoura Hills / Westlake Village ›
The Grill on the Alley - Westlake Village reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (50)romantic (47)great for outdoor dining (45)great for lunch (41)good for groups (34)notable wine list (33)vibrant bar scene (33)great for brunch (25)hot spot (22)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- ConsistantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/27/2014Food was consistently good. Service was consistently slow and poor. General Manager Stephanie did her best to make up for poor service, thus we will try again.
- Still our favorite...morganwatDined on 10/24/2014Couldn't be more perfect for us. Great New York steakhouse atmosphere with immaculate food preparation and exceptional service. We normally eat steaks here but on the waiters recommendation tried the John Dory which was the best fish either of us had ever had. The Grill will continue to be our first choice for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually good but disappointingScottGVIPDined on 10/21/2014We dine at The Grill every few months or so. It's generally quite good and dependable. The ambiance and service is always at a level that makes us comfortable about bringing people who haven't been there before. Our last visit, though, was somewhere between mediocre and simply bad. Of the four diners two dishes came out improperly prepared (a burger, at $23.95, arrived completely raw), no fresh pepper offered for a salad, nor parmesan for a pasta dish, etc. The servers were efficient and apologetic and, to their, credit, did offer a complimentary dessert to atone for the kitchen's mistakes. It's not the most expensive place we dine but with a typical tab for two at ~$100 I'd expect better food, preparation and attention.
- MarkDined on 10/21/2014Decide on The Grill on the Alley for my birthday dinner, and could not have been more pleased. The food was excellent, the service very attentive, but no in-your-face. All in all a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a bit slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Have been spoiled by awesome and attentive service during lunches in the past, but wasn't that way Saturday night.Special Features:
- Not as good as expectedmeat2Dined on 9/27/2014Having never been to the Grill, I headed over there Saturday night for my sisters birthday dinner in hopes of eating a good steak at renowned steakhouse. Unfortunately, my dissapointment started as soon as I walked into the restaurant. The restaurant was super crowded ( considering that the cheapest steak is $50 a plate). There was barely any room to walk and the noise level was ridiculously high. The food? Ehhh it was mediocre at best. Being a steakhouse lover I am sad to say that I will not be coming backSpecial Features:
- DisappointedRosiecclVIPDined on 9/23/2014Went to celebrate special occasion. What happened to this place? It used to be so good. Bad service. Food was bland and tasteless. One dessert looked and tasted like it was made by a five year old and the other was served so hot it burnt our mouths! Couldn't eat either one. Won't be going back anytime soon. Beautiful restaurant with a great patio, but changes are needed!!
- A Highly Memorable Experience!TrumpetTom2Dined on 9/22/2014We stopped here on our way to Carmel and Monterey areas. This is our first time at The Grill on the Alley in Thousand Oaks. We have been to the Daily Grill in Los Angeles. The Trout was fabulous at both places, with the edge given to the Grill. The service was superb! Its location very convenient just off 101 freeway at Westlake Boulevard, set in an upscale shopping center. While on vacation we ate at many really nice restaurants, but my husband and I agreed this restaurant was clearly the most memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Straightforward and well executedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Professional service, great ambiance, solid selection of salads, steaks, sides and fish, prepared by pros for highly consistent quality. Reliably goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dreadful ExperienceCambria1VIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a dreadful (no other word describes it) experience. An extra wait, in spite of a reservation, no problem; it was a Saturday night. THEN it went downhill. Both salads were "OK", my Wedge a bit better than her "Greens", but both my Chicken Piccata and her Brick Chicken we're mediocre at best. When you make Chicken Piccata you pound the breast at least a little bit; these were full thickness and thus over-cooked chicken breasts. Wife's brick chicken was "dry as a bone." The broccolini was so HEAVY with pureed garlic I really, actually, thought it was a cheese sauce! When we rejected it and asked for plain, steamed, it came 15 minutes later with stems 3/4"-1" thick and so, undercooked. "Everything OK?" from 3 people. Sure. Outta here!
- Great Food - Service so so4barrygVIPDined on 9/18/2014been here several times and always enjoy the experience, except a couple times the service is very slow. I think I was either forgotten or they are under staffed. yes, I will go back and if the service is still lacking, I will tell the mgr. my fault for not telling them before but who wants to deal with that?Special Features:
- WOW!Bolomk34VIPDined on 9/15/2014OK, some previous reviews indicated slow service and so-so food...I have to think that these people were at a different restaurant than The Grill! Service was FANTASTIC (team service)...the food...while a tad pricey...was FLAVORFUL, prepared JUST RIGHT and DELICIOUS! Will I go back again? YOU BETCHA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014Good food. Slow food service. Take a looong time to serve main course. Friendly waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and foodLavender1022Dined on 9/12/2014I brought my husband here for his birthday dinner and The Grill did not disappoint. I made my reservation through Open Table and on the day of my reservation I got a confirmation call from the restaurant and they were very nice on the phone to discuss my requests. The food was great. We had the filet mignon and I had crab cakes. The crab cakes were wonderful and huge! Everything was delicious. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to becare4dinVIPDined on 9/12/2014Not sure what's going on here but the service was sporadic, slow, & the server not knowledgable about menu/preparations. We dine here (and other steak houses) quite regularly & it's usually top notch. The last few visits have been disappointing & we are just about done trying with the Grill. We were seated for at least 15 min before we got water or menus. They were out of the bourbon my husband ordered, the lemonade didn't arrive until after the entrees (& 3 requests), appetizers were cleared after entrees arrived, never got a refill on my iced tea which sat empty all thru the meal, we ordered the chopped salad which came like a regular green salad - not chopped or tossed - & the list goes on. We won't be in a hurry to go back :(
- Great Food, Great ServicePJfrmSoCalVIPDined on 9/10/2014Never varies. When I am in TO on business, The Grill is my go to place.Special Features:
- Always greatTruewiseprinceVIPDined on 9/5/2014Great spot to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or just to have a great dinner. Staff is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boringsniggysdadDined on 9/1/2014a restaurant whose best days are behind them----won't back
- Lunch at the GrilljetcraigDined on 9/1/2014I was rather disappointed this time. While moderately busy, tables were not cleaned off when patrons left, our server was not at all friendly, and the food was average. I'm hesitant to recommend this restaurant to anyone although I'm aware that this could happen to any restaurant and it could have just been an off afternoon. I'll need to try once more and if I have the same experience, we won't be back.
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Good and service was excellent! We will be back. We couldn't think of anything that needed improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manager Skills are FairwhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 8/31/2014With over 3 small booths available, the manager wants to seat us in a large booth which is not very good for a party of two-we prefer to look at each other rather than sit side by side and stare into the restaurant. I requested one of the smaller booths. Mgr says he has other customers coming later that prefer those booths, so he is not sure he can seat us there. There were open tables with four chairs which would have worked too but I was told are for parties of 4. So although we had reservations days in advance and arrived on time, the manager wasn't very accommodating. Perhaps he has enough business with his other customers who prefer those booths. Finally, he cleared a table for us. We don't come as often as we use to, less often now.
- Tait is the man!SamCookeDined on 8/31/2014The overall dining experience was quite nice and we plan a return later this month. we were most impressed with Tait who made the brunch very memorable. All in all, a great start to a fine day.Special Features:
- always consistent food and service!great2dineDined on 8/30/2014Service and food are always great, good variety and consistent quality.Special Features:
- OverpricedDisappointedDined on 8/30/2014Food met expectations for a high end steak restaurant. Entrees were fully priced for a suburb and yet The Grill tacks on for little things like béarnaise sauce ($4). Worse, the wine list is way overpriced (3-4x retail) with very few bottles under $100. Usually service is good but was inexperienced and inattentive on this visit.Special Features:
- Brunch IssuejoyLDined on 8/30/2014Please bring the BELLINI back to the brunch menu !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and dining experiencemom3boysDined on 8/23/2014We felt taken care of the instant we walked in the door. Our waiters were attentive and helpful. The food was excellent and overall we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantHidiDined on 8/16/2014I love the food and the décor of the restaurant, the location is also very nice. After having a full meal, walk around the piazza is great for digesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice patio ambiencetonibVIPDined on 8/15/2014The Grill has great food and service. Their outside dining is relaxing and has great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service.traceyntVIPDined on 8/13/2014As usual the Grill is great. The food is delicious and it always helps to have a coupon $30 off every $100. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!PickyDinerDined on 8/10/2014Out for a birthday dinner with family (adults only) and everything was fantastic. The service was top notch and everything we ate was outstanding. Large portions and variety. Pricey, but worth it for a special occasions.Special Features:
- Dissapointing DinnerRnatelDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Grill on the Alley before and this was our least favorite experience. The service was not great, Did not get water or bread till way after we received our drinks and the martinis were not filled to top for the high price they charge compared to comparable Mastro's restaurant. They never refilled water without me having to seek out and hope. The sautéed mushroom were not a great side. We did like the halibut special and split a special salad but for a party of 4 and bill well over $300 with tip, it was not worth it on this visit. The special occasion dessert was terrible, like an over saturated cake with no real pizzazz which was unfortunate as special occasion desserts should be better prepared and nicer I believe.Special Features:
- Best Trout AlmondineCrazyTravelVIPDined on 7/31/2014I had a chopped lettuce wedge which was excellent and the trout almondine which was some of the best trout I have ever had! Lunch was excellent!Special Features:
- gibsonDined on 7/26/2014We love the Grill but the service was a little slow this timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RBGrillDined on 7/23/2014Our favorite Restaurant and the best Restaurant in Souther CaliforniaSpecial Features:
- Not up to their usual standardsRobbDined on 7/18/2014My wife's fish arrived under cooked and cold. 20 minutes later a replacement arrived. In the meantime my food got cold. It was our 43rd wedding anniversary. No one inquired if this was a special occasion. The bill was not adjusted due to the fish fiasco, nor was a complimentary desert offered. The best they would do was to offer my wife a second bowl of soup. Not what you would expect from a supposedly upscale restaurant.
- Fabulous for Steaks & More!MomLovesFoodVIPDined on 7/16/2014Beautiful restaurant with great service! We began with delicious cocktails followed by a great wine from their extensive wine list. We moved on to salads which were wonderful. Then some of us enjoyed steaks and they were terrific but others enjoyed the Ahi Tuna. Each entree comes with a side but we added some of the other side selections & they were fabulous! Chipotle creamed corn, Brussel Sprouts & Loaded Mac & Cheese - Oh my goodness! SO delectable! We've eaten at the Beverly Hills location as well which was also wonderful & we will be back if we ever visit again. No one left unfulfilled or wanting for anything!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Evening Despite TableLeenieVIPDined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed a family dinner celebrating an accomplishment. The food was excellent, the service (tag team) was different but effective. However, we were placed at a table in the back where we were forced to watch the employees go through the flatware all evening which lessened an otherwise enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2014Went for a special occasion. Great food and fine dining. A bit on the noisy side.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/3/2014Always excellent. Never disappointed with the food or service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1124 reviews are from the The Grill on the Alley - Westlake Village reviews archive.
- FantasticvalerieDined on 7/2/2014Had a great business lunch. The staff was really attentive and didn't miss anything,Special Features: