The Grill on the Alley - San Jose
172 South Market St.
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
The Grill on the Alley - San Jose
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thegrill.com/sanjose
- Phone: 4082942244
- Hours of Operation:
The bar remains open after the dining
room closes and features a late-night bar menu.
in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Argentinean
- Executive Chef: Andy Hatcher
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Take-out & catering available.
- Private Party Facilities: Complete with two private dining rooms, The Grill on the Alley can host groups up to 36 guests in an intimate setting. Specializing in professional and intimate service, The Grill offers private dining every day of the year.
- Private Party Contact: John Price 4082942244
- Entertainment: Walking distance to all downtown night clubs, hotels, theaters, and convention center.
- Special Events: The Grill on the Alley Private Rooms are available for all your event needs from business meeting to rehearsal dinners.
A word from The Grill on the Alley - San Jose
Inspired by the legendary grills of New York, Chicago and San Francisco, The Grill on the Alley features favorite American classics.Hardwood floors, white table clothes, leather booths and white-jacketed waiters create a truly unique dining experience. The knowledgeable, friendly staff will guide you through the 500-plus wine offerings and extensive menu featuring Kobe Beef, USDA Prime Steaks, Fresh Seafood and American classics like Braised Short Ribs and Chicken Pot Pie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Grill on the Alley - San Jose - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
The Grill on the Alley - San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)romantic (32)notable wine list (29)good for groups (25)fit for foodies (22)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Always Exceptionalcrzy8tsVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a large group (8) and we requested and receive a table in the Wine Room. It made the evening perfect. Food and service were exceptional; thanks again JT.Special Features:
- Quiet in chaoswhanafiDined on 8/9/2014Ended up at this restaurant as I was staying at the Fairmont. Was travelling on business, and did not know the San Jose Jazz Festival was on at the same time. Hotel was overwhelmed, with a 20-30 minute wait for car retrieval from the garage. All of which is to say it was busy. The staff did no seem able to cope. I was seated, then ignored for 15 minutes while I tried to flag a waiter. The manager finally noticed and brought me a menu. The food itself was good, though expensive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very fine dining experienceJandDined on 8/7/20146 of us were seated in a private dining room. We were thrilled. Excellent dining experience with delicious dishes. Two served us and we always had attention We will returnSpecial Features:
- Very good meal & serviceCaliDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I went there for a date night and the food was very good. Service was very good as well. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DiningWillDined on 7/27/2014The service and food were very good. I had the New York and my wife the filet. They were both cooked to perfection. The entire meal was very good. Our waiter did an outstanding job and had a great personality. Enjoyed the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive!DissapointeddinerDined on 7/19/2014We went here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Beautiful restaurant, and the server was very personable, however the food was expensive and disappointing. Tuna tartar appetizer seemed premade and ran out of wonton chips. My lamb chops were quite good, but my husband's filet mignon was very dry and a bit overdone. All vegetables are extra. We wanted mashed potatoes to accompany our meal. Menu choices were limited to lobster or spinach mashed potatoes, neither of which sounded great with our entrees but the server suggested the lobster potatoes so we decided to try it. Unfortunately, we only took a few bites as they were very salty and the lobster taste was overwhelming. We ended up spending $180 for our meal which didn't seem worth it.Special Features:
- Bring Your Own Bottle of WinePriorRestauranteurDined on 7/17/2014The food was great. The wine list is very expansive, but VERY expensive. The restaurant does have a corkage fee of $25.00. I brought our own bottle of wine with us. The bottle I brought would have cost me over $300, closer to $400 on the wine list, if it was listed. Still a nice restaurant to go to for that special occasion or romantic evening. Just be prepared to spend alot if you want a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- SubstandardSnakestarDined on 7/14/2014The restaurant was very pricey for the quality of the food I experienced. I had the Chilean Sea Bass as did three others at my table of 6 and all three were undercooked, in fact, 2 of the 3 of us suffered stomach issues as a result. In fairness, the other 3 had steak and were quit happy with the order with the exception of the price.Special Features:
- Why bother?RettsDined on 6/24/2014A lot of hype for very little. Unless you are a big spender -lots of drinks and high priced items on the menu- you will get less than satisfactory service. Indifferent comes to mind. We wanted the Prix Fix menu and had to ask for it. It was obvious the waiter wasn't too please. Why then advertise it? There are so many people running back and forth, but it seems to be the height of inefficiency. We will definitely not go back. There are so many better restaurants with good service, good food and better prices. Why spend so much and come away regretting it? We even had to remind them that we were entitled to dessert!!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationniniDined on 6/17/2014We had a lovely evening of delicious food and fine service. I would have liked a bit of olive oil and a little more goat cheese on my heirloom tomato salad. It was delicious but could have been better. The crusty bread, tapenade and oil and vinegar dip were outstanding. Our steaks were cooked perfectly. All in all it was a lovely evening.Special Features:
- So dissapointedDissapointedDinerDined on 6/15/2014I've been going to The Grill on the Alley for about 15 years. This last visit found me completely dissastified with the menu changes and the ambiance changes. The feeling is now that you are being nickle and dimed to death. The food wasn't as tasty anymore as there are a lot of changes to the menu (more in how they prepare the meal than food choices). It seems like the Grill is cheapening out. Very dissapointing
- diner6Dined on 5/31/2014Nice restaurant and great service but I would not go back because the food was far below expectations.
- not a good nightTerrbearDined on 5/29/2014We love The Grill, but this time was a disaster. Our drinks did not arrive until after the appetizer,the kids drinks being even later. Clean-up was sporadic, taking our kid's crackers unfinished, & left dirty dishes. We mentioned our 7:30 tickets 2x, yet our 2nd drinks came after the meal was over. They forgot to run our credit card, leaving me to sign the "hotel version" - with no personal receipt, but worried of being late to our show, came home to a voicemail message. I talked to manager Marco, who was very responsive, friendly, understanding of our issues. Again, we have had many wonderful dinners here, and will definitely try again. But they HAVE to prioritize the restaurant drink orders, when you're paying their prices for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Excuse to Go to the SJCCScotchAndSteakSavantVIPDined on 5/23/2014Downtown San Jose is a hotbed of restaurants, which comes in handy any time there's a major show at the Convention Center. Given this abundance of choice, it says something that I always make a point of going to The Grill on the Alley -- a steakhouse that does its job superbly. Their glass wine program is tailored to finding your next new favorite, their kitchen is situated so you can watch your steak being broiled, and the staff totally want your company. Do the blue-cheese-crusted bone in filet and you won't regret it. Always phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheated on Celebratory DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year anniversary here and our waiter surprised us at the end of our meal with a dessert. Since we didn't order any dessert, nor did we ask for anything for our celebration, we unfortunately assumed that the dessert was free. Once we received the bill, I noticed that there was an $8 charge for that dessert. Next time, if you're going to offer a dessert then you should give it to your customers for free, or at the very least, make them aware of the cost and let them decide whether to have it or not. Disgraceful! Very tacky. I will not come here again.Special Features:
- Excellent menuDineandwiineDined on 5/20/2014All of our food was amazing --from appetizer, salad to entrees and then desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedDisappointedDined on 5/20/2014I had the lobster salad for $30 and had one piece of lobster claw that was overcooked on it. Not enough dressing and way overpriced.Special Features:
- JohnDined on 5/12/2014I love The Grill, great spot for any event. Would highly recommend it, great steaks and an extensive wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious at a pricelovethepotpieDined on 5/11/2014The food is wonderful but the prices are not for the faint of heart. Even while sharing some of the entrees and appetizer the cost soon added up A wonderful place to have a special event celebrated (save up for the celebration!). Service is slow but courteousSpecial Features:
- Restaurant WeekDowntownDinerDined on 5/6/2014The special menu was great...our steaks, perfect...our dessert, decadent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining done rightCEBohnDined on 5/5/2014When you combine creative, and impeccably executed food with top-level service, you are bound to have a fabulous dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfull birthday dinner.SCOrtizDined on 5/3/2014We were in the wine room. Had a great time. They made a desert that was off menu, it was a big hit with all of my guests.Special Features:
- Grill on the Alley worth the doughsnewwithyouVIPDined on 5/2/2014We shared a bone-in 16-oz steak, and it was tender and flavorful. The sides were likewise delicious, and the soufflé fantastic.Special Features:
- The following 681 reviews are from the The Grill on the Alley - San Jose reviews archive.
- Irrationally expensiveNobillionaireDined on 4/27/2014I thought I lived in an expensive dining town (I do). But this is San Jose, and this place is way overpriced. Must be the bubble economy, or they expect everybody is on an expense account. Main courses in the 40s, wines 3-4x retail. The waitstaff was friendly...
- Gals night outibincaDined on 4/25/2014My niece, Monique Graziadei, who usually stays at the Fairmont when in town and another friend and I had a terrific dinner. Starting with the fresh oysters which were scrumptious, and my bone in Filet Mignon was perfectly cooked, and the Arctic Char was excellent too. Everyone enjoyed their dishes.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014I have been to the Grill many times in the past but it had been a while so i thought i would take my siblings there who were visitng fromout of state based on my past experiences. The food tasted good as in the past but what was extremely disappointing was the menu had changed and some of the favorites like the Pot Pie are no longer on the menu. It is now strictly a high end priced menu so i have to assume that management is only catering to the high end clientel who will pay 40+ for an entree plus a side dish for extra dollars if ind this very disappointing. I will not be taking my business back to the Grill because paying 230+ dollars for a dinner for two people is rediculous in San Jose no matter how good it might taste....
- Great service, delicious foodSJDinerDined on 4/10/2014I always enjoy the dining experience at the Grill. The wait staff is attentive and cordial and do their best to answer any questions you have about the preparation of the food. The food is delicious and well-prepared. This is the second time I ordered the scallops and though they are beautifully cooked and wonderfully seasoned, both times I've gotten a little sand in them. The menu is pricey, but the quality of the food is very good and I suppose part of that expense is for the service and ambiance. Apparently they stopped validating parking for the garage right next door; after paying for an expensive dinner, it would be nice to not then be hit by another $10 as you leave the garage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in townLindaSJDined on 4/8/2014The Grill never disappoints. It is perfect for special occasions or just getting together with friends. The food and service are excellent and it's never too noisy so you can enjoy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitSanjose2dineDined on 4/5/2014First visit ate n bar it was lively and fun. This time restaurant area not as fun would rather sit at barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is one of my favoriteGarykscDined on 4/4/2014This is one of my favorite places to go when I want an exceptional meal. I have been here several times and the food and service has always been above average and great...If anyone asked me the best place to go to in SanJose and bay area..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingannmikeDined on 3/29/2014Service, food and convenience to the SJ Rep were outstanding. The service was especially personal as the manager remembered a funny incident during our last visit and treated us to a complimentary souffle. First class operation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentCindyDined on 3/26/2014Love the grill! One of the best places to go out in SJC>Special Features:
- Great MealEnjoyLosGatosVIPDined on 3/22/2014It was our first time to The Grill and everything about it was excellent. The restaurant itself had an old time feeling to it with the high ceilings and the way it was furnished. The steaks were perfect and the service was great. It's not cheap but it would certainly be perfect for that special mean for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I won't become a regularBribuDined on 3/22/2014the Grill is a pricey steakhouse with a dark conservative atmosphere. The quality of the food is very good, steaks are juicy, but it is overprized. The dark atmosphere did not appeal to me.Special Features:
- Service is fantasticFootLooseVIPDined on 3/20/2014Service was the best part of the meal. Staff is most accommodating. Steak knives are dull and management needs to invest in a good sharpening tool or buy new steak knives.Special Features:
- A Nice Evening at The GrillJamesDined on 3/19/2014I was in town and wanted to great downtown restaurant and Open Table did not disappoint. The Grill on the Alley was the perfect choice. The steaks were excellent and we enjoyed eating outside and enjoying the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fantasticcrzy8tsVIPDined on 3/15/2014The Grill on the Alley is always fantastic...the service is excellent and the food outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around experience.MrRewDined on 3/13/2014I have to say that their steak was prepared perfectly, and was delicious to the last bite. The scotch selection wasn't the largest I'd ever seen, but it was decent, and what they did have was great. Most importantly, I'd like to thank Jessie M. and Kyle D. Those two really made the experience one to remember. When everything is said and done, I would HIGHLY recommend The Grill on the Alley. I personally will be stopping by every time business brings me to San Jose.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantTMichaelDined on 3/12/2014The Grill on the Alley is located inside a major hotel but acts as if it is a stand-alone site. Everything is excellent, especially the service. They just started a new menu that includes some old favorites but increased portion sizes. Be careful ordering side dishes. The portions are, for the most part, table sized.Special Features:
- Love the Grill but..RachelCoutureVIPDined on 3/1/2014I was a little disappointed this time. I won't say anything bad about this place because I come here once a week sometimes twice. Maybe they were just having an off day.I would recommend this to a friend.