The Grill on the Alley - Beverly Hills
9560 Dayton Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90210Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
The Grill on the Alley - Beverly Hills
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://thegrill.com/
- Phone: 3102760615x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 5pm-9pm, Dinner only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Israel Camacho
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Grill on the Alley - Beverly Hills
The Grill on the Alley was opened in 1984 as a living tribute to the great American grills of yesterday. In time, it has established itself as one of the country's leading restaurants, praised by writers across the country. The menu is classic American grill - prime steaks, fresh seafood, traditional dishes such as chicken pot pie or meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and homemade desserts. Named to The Fine Dining Hall of Fame by Nation's Restaurant News, The Grill is home of the entertainment industry's "power lunch," but is also open for dinner seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Grill on the Alley - Beverly Hills - Best Restaurants in Beverly Hills ›
The Grill on the Alley - Beverly Hills reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (43)special occasion (39)neighborhood gem (37)hot spot (21)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (19)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (12)romantic (12)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/2/2014It's a well known place where the service is always good and your wine is chilled . Great selection of meat , fish and poultry . We did not order any dessert from the menu though , it was enough food . Large portions and everything was tasty .Special Features:
- Friday 8/29OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We have been here many times over the years. Usually, the steaks are amazing but, on this night, all three of our filets tasted like smoke. We should have sent them back but I felt bad because out waiter and servers were so nice. Just took them home and re-cooked with eggs the next day. The salad and appetizers were great.Special Features:
- palmspringsquestVIPDined on 8/25/2014The last time I went to the Grill on the Alley I said never again. Mediocre food, sky high prices. Then, the crafty beggers, sent me a $30.00 coupon. So I met two friends in Beverly Hills and had a night at the Alley. And that is the last. The food was awful. My steak had no taste, the wedge was $13.50 and was not as good as most $8.50 wedges and the baked potato was the size of Idaho. The bill had an extra $90.00 on it that I caught, but even with that taken off, and the coupon our check was north of $300.00. And the food was average to be kind. So this is my last time. Add to that that the chains down scale cousin "Daily Grill" no longer uses open table means that the entire family has seen the last of me!
- Great findhappymomDined on 8/16/2014Staying at the Beverly Hilton, my family was looking for something good that was not too far away. The Grill has amazing steaks and was able to offer something for my 10 year old daughter. Not inexpensive but worth every penny!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We save it for most special mealsPatrickFitzgeraldDined on 8/9/2014Special place for a special night A sofisticated crowd professional wait staff always a pleasure great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sofiaVIPDined on 8/5/2014I was disappointed the quality of food wasn't that good
- normal steakKyongVIPDined on 8/1/2014steak is very normal. some of the other steak house has it's own and special recipe for steak, but the grill is very simple for their price. I don't want to go again if I have a chance to have a lunch with my real customers or my date. This is a kind of upgrade daily grill level.Special Features:
- Hollywood ClassicLABradDined on 7/28/2014The Grille is Beverly Hills. A lot of trendy restaurants come and go, but to be able to sit in the stylish classic confines of the Grille makes even the most difficult days tolerable. The food is outstanding (personal favorite John Dory) and the service is always professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Greatbilly44byDined on 7/25/2014I have been eating here for 30 years & it's still the best. We had soft shell crab that was juicy & crisp on the outside & that's the way to cook them. The white fish was pan fried & just perfect as was a steak . Side dishes of shoestring fries & cream spinach & broccoli all perfect. Like too eat here at least once a month & i am never disappointedSpecial Features:
- Our FavoriteJudyVIPDined on 7/21/2014We love the Grill on the Alley. Always reliable. Family favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warwarDined on 7/21/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. THe portions were huge for everything--tomato salad, petite NY steak, mashed potatoes, brick chicken and dessert. One reviewer complained about the size of the bowl for the lobster bisque; it was smaller than everything else, but SO rich and smooth that it was just right. The waiter had a dry and wry sense of humor; he was fun. We went during DINE LA but only one of us ordered the $45 menu (because of preference for the beef cut). We will return when we want a kind of classical NYC type of place with good food and service. Yes, prices might be a buck or three higher than someplace else, but you also get A LOT more. the cuisine is not exciting or particularly creative but it is solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!ChicagoDinerDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience here. The service was great and the food was exceptional. Also the portions are healthy but not overwhelming. Definitely bears a revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Grill, forever!AFU66VIPDined on 7/18/2014This place continues to deliver on every level. A classic restaurant that's as relevant today as the day it opened. And even with all the Hollywood bigwigs that use this place as their commissary, the management and servers know how to treat the rest of us like Oscar winners. Thank you for a terrific experience, again!Special Features:
- lovePasadenaDined on 7/16/2014I have been going to the Grill since it opened decades ago. It's my favorite restaurant, food and service are always excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointing experiencePunziDined on 7/15/2014this restaurant is trading on its past. The atmosphere is good and the help is good but the food is not what it used to be. the food was disappointing. Soup came in a tiny bowl I thought they were giving us a taste,(at the prices they charge one should get a decent amount of soup) one steak was so grissly & hard to cut it was sent back. Then it was replaced with raw liver. Our waiter was good & most apologetic but I would not return there. It is expensive & not worth it. I had eaten there before many times so I was aware everything is ala carte.. All 4 of us agreed we would not return there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/29/2014While the food was very good and the service attentive, there was really nothing outstanding to justify the price.
- Best in LAJuniorDined on 6/28/2014As far as I am concerned, the Grill on the Alley in BH is the best restaurant in town. There is an exceptionally extensive menu, the food is of the highest quality, the preparation is excellent, and the service is friendly, professional and excellent. On 6/28/2014, I ordered a New York Strip steak for the first time. Previously I had ordered other dishes thinking steaks were best eaten at steakhouses. But recently, my experience at steakhouses has been poor to terrible. The steak at the Grill on the Alley was excellent! It was better than what I had at Mastro's, Wolfgang's (cold in center), Ruth Chris', or Fleming's (second best). The ambience is woody like an East Coast restaurant. I like it, some don't (more room for me).Special Features:
- Rude hostessLocalZoltanVIPDined on 6/26/2014Very rude tyrannical hostess. We went to a nice Italian place nearby instead.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The service was definitely something different. Our waiter had an interesting sense of humor but as long as you go in with an open mind you will have a good time. As far as price it is definitely on the expensive side but afterall, it is Beverly Hills. I am not around the area much but it was what I was expecting. I had the chicken pot pie and it was pretty good. I was not able to finish it in one sitting. Be careful because the waiter will try to sell you on more food. If you are going in with a budget then definitely pay attention and know that everything come for an additional charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingyankeeDined on 6/23/2014While I've enjoyed The Grill many times, this most recent visit was disappointing. My filet, while priced exceptionally, looked more like a skirt steak. The taste was fine, but the width ridiculous. Ordered medium a filet should slice like butter, mine was more like medium well. And since it was so thin had barely a hint of pink. I'll go again, but I probably should have complained.
- The Grill on the AlleyGilbertVIPDined on 6/22/2014Excellent food, ambiance and service at "exorbitant" prices even for Beverly Hills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always reliablemartiVIPDined on 6/21/2014The service is really quite outstanding. The sea bass good a bit dry and the scallops a bit too greasy. The vegetable is always very good.The dinner goers are fun to watch and the ambiance is wonderful. If you want a lovely bday treat , the dessert and bday song sung is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service.finediner42VIPDined on 6/21/2014My only reservation is that the lobster bisque include more chunks of lobster. Also, the prices are bit high for the portions, especially for a vegetable plate. The waiter also displayed dismay at our group for splitting the check, which he should probably learn not to show, especially if he hadn't asked us prior to creating the check.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014The food is consistently excellent and it is overall a very enjoyable dining experience. While we live on the other side of town, we come whenever we can, especially for a special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AmazingVIPDined on 6/14/2014Everything was FIRST CLASS!!!!! Service, Food Being sat on time Grill on the Alley is a TRUE GEM !!!Special Features:
- NeverEnoughDined on 6/14/2014As always, excellent. The food is consistent and prepared to high standards.Special Features:
- ClassicAjax449VIPDined on 6/12/2014Classic Beverly Hills grill. great food and fun atmosphere. The lobster bisque did not disappoint. Steaks were perfect. Onion rings devine. creamed spinach fresh and not too goopy. We had a wonderful and incredibly light tres leche cake for dessert. We look forward to our next meal at The Grill on the Alley. Thanks to chefs and staff. Great job!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/12/2014We were there for a business lunch. Outstanding service; fun and personable. Food terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!RogerDined on 6/11/2014Everytime I go to The grill, I am always impressed how consistent they are in providing the most cordial and accomodating service, and the food is always outstanding!Special Features:
- In my top 10WonderfulDined on 6/10/2014Love this place. The original is the best. Impeccable service I always appreciate. Food is great but I always gravitate to the chicken pot pie which is outstanding. Perfect creaminess, vegetables that aren't mushy and a crust to die for.
- Best Service EverKimHDined on 6/9/2014The food was outstanding, but the service was even better. If you want to feel good both mentally and physically, go to The Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014Waiter seemed to be deaf or couldn't understand my accent. Food very average but not priced average
- Fabulous DinnerDeniceDined on 5/30/2014I love this restaurant. The food and drinks are wonderful and the food is outstanding. So worth the money. Service was excellent. Really enjoyed the dinner. We were entertaining friends as a thank you for helping our son get a job. We wanted it to be special and it was. Thank you! P.S. I originally was going to take them to the Bel Air-but in light of the boycott thought we would go to the Alley. What a great mistake. I had forgotten how wonderful it is.Special Features:
- SlippingBigBillVIPDined on 5/30/2014While still very good, this restaurant is slipping just not being what it used to be. I always take a friend when I come to town and our steaks weren't as flavourful as usual, but it might have been that day. Still a fun place to go, still a fave.
- Diamond in the AlleyRbartonDined on 5/24/2014We were looking for a nice steak house in the Burbank, Pasadena, Santa Monica, or Beverly Hills that was not the usual Mortons or Maestros. We had a dinner party of 4. We were looking for something new. Several attorneys recommended a handful of restaurants including Arroyo Chop House, CUT in Beverly Hills, BOA in Santa Monica, and WEHO. After looking at the reviews and the menus on line we decided on the Grill on the Alley and loved it. Very charming. Lots of history. Service was excellent and so was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 345 reviews are from the The Grill on the Alley - Beverly Hills reviews archive.
- Terrific All AroundElmNeighborDined on 5/15/2014Visited for Graduation Dinner while in Los Angeles. Great Booth. Awesome Food. Perfect Service. Would return in a minute!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth itGrodDined on 5/14/2014A well respected fine food and service establishment that provides the best in everything. The selection is great, fresh, high quality and tastes delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014In spite of the fact that the restaurant was very busy on Mother's Day, we were seated in a very comfortable booth within 5 minutes of our reservation time. Our waiter was Steve. He was OUTSTANDING. He got our orders right, quickly, and checked in appropriately to see if we needed anything. We eat out often, but have rarely experienced this level of service. He is a real gem for the restaurant. The entire evening was perfect including the food, other servers at our table, and the hostess at the front desk. I think this was the best experience I have ever had in a restaurant on Mother's Day. The Grill on the Alley in Beverly Hills really made an effort and it showed in every respect.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Everytime we come to town we eat here. A bit pricey but it's Beverly Hills so that I to be expected. Yummy optikns, great drinks and best desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMsu06VIPDined on 5/8/2014Bar wasn't as great as I was hoping, very small not a lot of action. The food how we was very good and the staff was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.