The Grill from Ipanema
1858 Columbia Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
BrazilianPrice: $30 and under
The Grill from Ipanema
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegrillfromipanema.com/
- Phone: 2029860757x
- Hours of Operation:
We open during the day for private events for groups of 30 or more. Regular hours are: Monday-Thursday 4:30-10:30pm. Friday 4:30 - 11:30pm. Saturday 12:00PM - 11:30 Pm. Sunday 12:PM-10:00pm. Brunch Sat-Sun. 12 Noon 4:00pm. Happy Hour Mon. - Fri. 4:30 - 7:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, International, Brazilian
- Executive Chef: Alcy de Souza
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: PARTY SIZED PANS = Take-Out or Deliver. Generous portions of our Menu items to Make Your Dinner or Party Planning easier. = Half Pans Feed Approximately 8-10 People. = Full Pans Feed Approximately 16-20 People.
- Special Events: we offer banquet menu for private and semi-private events (accommodate groups of all sizes)
- Cross Street: 18th St
- Public Transit: We are close to Woodley park metro station or Dupont circle metro station (red line)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available on Fridays and Saturdays. Sunday to Wednesday, Street parking or public parking garage on 18th Street (drive through out the alley next to the restaurant - just across 18 Street)
A word from The Grill from Ipanema
The Grill From Ipanema is the only authentic Brazilian restaurant in town. This restaurant takes pride in its hospitality and is committed to offering the best culinary experience so that one can truly taste traditional Brazilian cookery with different flavors and from different regions in Brazil. The inspiration of the menu is a reflection of the people, different cultures, and flavors within Brazil. Try our "Moqueca Mista a Baiana" style, it is a mixed seafood stew of fish, shrimp, mussels, squid, clams and scallops is prepared in a blend of palm oil and coconut milk with fresh cilantro, tomato, onion, scallions and green pepper (Please indicate how spicy) served in a clay pot with rice and fish broth, and a yucca purée on the side. Grill from Ipanema is a delightful surprise to anyone interested in a unique adventure from way down south.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Grill from Ipanema reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (12)romantic (8)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Taste of Brasil in DCDcsplicerDined on 10/19/2014I've lived in DC almost 50 years, I've been to Brasil 5 times, but this was my first time visiting The Grill From Ipanema. I was not disappointed. The caipirinhas were on point, the food was perfect, and the service was excellent! I can't wait to return and try other items on the menu! Eu gosta muito!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrating a family birthdayhammerDined on 10/12/2014We were seeking a special dining experience to celebrate a family birthday and were not disappointed. Nice ambiance, delicious food, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerabsrDined on 10/10/2014Had a great time! My friends loved the restaurant the only thing that could have made the experience better was if we could have split up our check. We were a large group and since the waiter didn't mention anything about doing individual checks in the beginning, we thought we could do it later. When we asked him if we could do separate checks per person he said we should have said that from the beginning. The food and drinks were great. It was just a pain calculating everyone's tab. Would have been helpful if the restaurant could have handled it for us or given us the option to do separate checks from the very beginning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- clauDCDined on 10/5/2014Food was delicious but the service was really slow. We had to chase the waiter a few times to get more drinks and the check.Special Features:
- BlandOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014The food here is very banal. There was nothing interesting or flavorful about it. Also, on Saturday night it was virtually empty and that says a lot. Find another place.
- I've had better meals elsewhereTodd1961VIPDined on 9/20/2014Not an overly memorable meal, the food is unique and adequate but it is nothing to write home about. I won't be back as there are too many other choices in Adams Morgan that can provide the same, or better experience.Special Features:
- First Time DiningZiPpDined on 8/29/2014Went to specifically eat Brazilian style seafood, not just meats on skewers. Great Bahiaian style seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good DC choice for Dupont Circlehappybelly1Dined on 8/29/2014Birthday party for a group that spent a couple of weeks in Brazil, and miss the food. We weren't disappointed. Paella and other traditional food items weren't "dumbed down" for American consumption. Great wait staff. Fun evening. Indoor and outdoor dining 2 miutes walk from Hilton on Connecticut. Locals and visitors. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent Brazilian restaurant !GrazieMilleDined on 8/27/2014We took the alligator served with mustard in appetizer, it was really good. For the entrée, I took the picanha (I tried already on the bbq with Brazilian friends), and the taste was as delicious as with my friends. The meat was well-cooked, really tasty and the seasoning was just perfect. I recommend this restaurant if you want to discover Brazilian food.Special Features:
- No better Brazilian food in DCFrequentTravelerMNVIPDined on 8/26/2014Exceptional menu with all of the standard fare, along with the national drinks and famous dishes. Unfortunately, they have omitted some of the delicacies found on earlier menus (e.g. tongue) to cater to the more pedestrian American tastes. A gem, nonetheless.Special Features:
- Friendly Brazilian ambiance ...PatrickLDined on 8/26/2014The Grill is the real thing, authentic food, authentic Brazilian staff, authentic Brazilian ambiance … very warm welcome and delicious food, the bartender was particularly welcoming and delightful … you will feel at home here and you will eat well …Special Features:
- Food and Special TouchesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014This is a restaurant that can infuse flavors perfectly and taste like every ingredient (down the spices) were chopped fresh for each dish. This was the case of The Grill. Secondly, the ambiance of the staff and venue are very special. Imagine going to dinner at a traditional Latin family's home where they bring out the best linens, dishes and service they have. The manager/co-owner (ESTER) visited our table several times and kept a watchful eye to ensure our dining experience was special and enjoyable. We sampled a variety of Brazilian food since it was restaurant week. Our favorites were the Paella, the Galinha com cameroes, and grilled meats. Probably the coffee and desserts are also some of the best in the area.Special Features:
- Brazilian food in DCExcellentDined on 8/17/2014Traditional brazilian restaurante in DC keep up its brazilian special dishes and goid serviceSpecial Features:
- Excellent Establishment!AdamDined on 8/11/2014This place ALWAYS has outstanding food, service, and spicy goodness!! Enjoy it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Brazilian gem in DCPaulistanaDined on 8/10/2014This is a restaurant that came a long way, with a good sample of Brazilian cuisine, including feijoada, moqueca, coxinha, bobo' de camarao. In addition, the DC Choro band added a special touch with nostalgic samba, bossa nova, and the fantastic voice of Gigi. This is a place to start knowing Brazil and evolve into going to carnival and the 2016 Olympics in Rio!Special Features:
- Not worth what you pay for!TheProAndTheJoeDined on 8/8/2014The food wasn't bad. Pretty authentic (We've been to Brazil a few times). However, the price was way too high. NOT worth the money. Our waiter seemed like he was doing us a huge favor every time he came to our table. We felt like an inconvenience to him. Caipirinha (tradicional alcoholic drink) was tasty, but it didn't have much alcohol in it. For almost $9 per drink, it was definitely not worth it. The website advertises happy hour from 4-7 pm (even says so on the door), but it's just at the bar. You pay full price at a table. I'm not returning!
- A Brazilian atmosphereJocaDined on 8/7/2014The owner, Raquel, with her warm welcome, the familiar environment and the great food made our dinner really pleasant. Will definitively return when in DC again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STAY AWAYJDubDined on 8/3/2014It took the waiter 10 mins just to come over to our table & get our drink order. We asked for a half tea/lemonade (DC staple) but he said he didn't even know if the 2 could be mixed together. I ordered the salmon & my friend ordered a chicken pasta with salad. The salmon was okay but I definitely have had better. The mashed potatoes that came with it had an entire can of salt in it. The salad my friend ordered had 10 pieces of lettuce. The pasta she ordered tasted so bland that she had to send it back. The waiter kept reaching over our plates to get menus, plates etc. off the table & even touched friends fork. Needless to say, this was the worst dining experience I have ever had. If I could give a negative rating, I would.
- mehDavidnAnnaDined on 7/19/2014Good but not 24.99-an-entree good. We (myself, my partner, and my parents) will most likely not be returning.Special Features:
- Authentic Brazilian FoodpmenadueDined on 7/17/2014Ipanema Grill offered authentic Brazillian food beyond the normal churrascaria in a relaxed friendly setting!Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceDisappointedDined on 7/8/2014We have eaten at the Grill From Ipanema several times, and always enjoyed it. Usually we have terrific service. This last time was different. The food was good enough, and the owner/manager was gracious as always. However, our service was terrible. Our waitress could barely be bothered to serve us and she forgot some of our food. She never checked on us and we had to work very hard to find her most of the time. She didn't even bother to bring us the check and when we finally hailed someone else down to bring us our check, it took another ten minutes for our credit card to be returned to us, and someone else had to do that too. Granted, Brazil had just lost their game to Germany so everyone was in a bad mood, but that is no excuse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Cup ViewingOtherguyDined on 7/8/2014Was there watching a World Cup match. Place was packed and still received great service. Hats of to you.Special Features:
- Slow service. Decent food.PeaceDocVIPDined on 6/28/2014It took one hour to get our food and the appetizers came with the main meal--even when I specifically requested that this not happen. Service seemed chaotic and nonEnglish speaking staff made issues more challenging. Food is good. Having eaten here several times before, this time I brought family and friends from out of town. They were appropriately unimpressed. Sorry to say that I no longer view this as a neighborhood gem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brazilian SpotMarioDined on 6/28/2014I had been wanting to try the Brazilian dish feijoada for some time, so on a recent occasion, I took my sisters out to dinner here. The place did not disappoint -- great meals, drinks, and desserts. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- The following 381 reviews are from the The Grill from Ipanema reviews archive.
- Nice experiencePlasticDined on 6/23/2014I made a reservation during a World Cup match when Brazil is playing, so my students could experience the Brazilian food and culture. Everything was good. I was just disappointed with the size, amount, cup presentation and price of the caipirinhas drink :-( It was served in tiny plastic cup (my boyfriend's even broke when he hold his cup), lots of ice and not much beverage :-( for basically 9.00 dollars....:-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and terrible serviceUnhappyclientDined on 6/23/2014The good was way overpriced. Appetizers were 10 each and we were served no more more than half a cup of food was served. The beer was warm and the service was too slow.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Love this place. Had a fantastic afternoon feijoada here! Was so satisfied afterwards!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicelmipermoDined on 6/18/2014We met to provide an appreciation dinner for one of our teachers. Considering our limited budget, we opted to order food "tapas style" with 1 large salad and one entree, and 4 appetizers - for 4 people. Our server was extremely friendly and accommodating. I have been to establishments where servers give patrons a hard time for ordering appetizers only. This was not the case here. Our group reservation had also changed from 8 to 4, which I mentioned upon arrival -not a problem. The food was great, I would recommend the Brazilian paella, the black bean coxhina, in particular. This was our second year hosting our "teacher appreciation" dinner here; and we had the same great experience last year as well.Special Features:
- Bon de maisEpijaimeDined on 6/12/2014Bon de mais means super good in Portuguese. I've been eating at the Grill for over 20 years. The owner, Elce, was a chef in Brasil and recreates the authentic Brazilian dining experience. His mexilhões a carioca, Carioca Mussels with a green sauce I have never had anywhere else are a reason to keep going back. The carne picahna is my favorite entree. You cannot go wrong by starting out with a traditional Caipirinha, the national drink of brasil, and some mandioca frita, otherwise known as yuca.Special Features:
- Authentic Taste of BrazilLoveBrazilDined on 6/12/2014As someone who is engaged to a Brazilian girl from Sao Paulo, and who has visited Brazil several times, I whole-heartedly recommend this place for its authenticity. Of course some of the ingredients are irreplaceable in the U.S., such as "farofa," Grill from Ipanema does an excellent job getting close. The portions of a couple of dishes could have been bigger for the price you pay, but the quality of the food is delicious. I was also especially pleased by the caipirinhas, a personal favorite of mine and a drink served in only a couple of places that I know in or around D.C. Altogether, this is a great place for anyone looking for a bit of Brazil!Special Features:
- Great little Brazilian restaurantEthnicFoodJunkieDined on 6/10/2014Cozy, welcoming little place. Extensive menu of Brazilian specialties. Great food. Most excellent caipirinhas. Staff mostly Brazilians. Indoor and outdoor tables. It feels like a neighborhood restaurant somewhere in Brazil. But it's actually in Adams-Morgan a 10 minute stroll from the Woodley Park Metro station. Bacana mesma.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Excellent Brazil FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014I have been coming to The Grill From Ipanema for over 20 years and have always had consistent excellent Brazilian food. I began courting my wife there when I was single and this started her love affair with Brazil. I recently planned to meet friends there for a special evening. Although my friends didn't make it the staff was willing to accommodate me despite the "no show". The food was delicious and the staff, especially Edward, were attentive and professional. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice family restaurant. Will returnJohnEODined on 6/6/2014We chose this local restaurant for the first time en route to the Gala Theatre. Great find. Lovely welcome from one of the family owners. Tried an excellent Brazilian cocktail in their happy hour and then opted for the caldeirana with sea food. Lovely food and great friendly and efficient staff. The restaurant is now on our list - and we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very BrazilianPickyDined on 5/24/2014The muqueca bahiana was tasty. It just did not taste like muqueca bahiana is supposed to taste. And the caipirinhas were small and weak. Both had been better in the past.Special Features:
- Grillin anand chillinCandBDined on 5/20/2014We arrived on time and our hostess/waitress seated us right away. We sat outside for a long, long time waiting for water. Our waitress, who was really animated, took our drink and appetizer order quickly. The wine came and the apps came quickly too. But then, we waited, and waited for our entree. I had ordered my meat cooked medium - and it was more like well done. Great flavor of all of the food, though. Would have been so much better if the service was faster.Special Features:
- Great experience !!!JasonDined on 5/16/2014We love "grill from Ipanema". Great food , outstanding service and the best caipirinhas in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening, meat not so greatEricVIPDined on 5/9/2014We had a really nice meal with my visiting parents, and were happy with just about all of it. Friendly, welcoming service, nice atmosphere, great menu, fair prices, good valet parking. Only quibble is the meat quality: two of us had various preparations of rump steak, and one of us got a steak that was extremely tough and chewy. Everyone else was very happy with their food. The prices are reasonable and we do not expect five start meat quality, but the second rump steak was really inferior quality and detracted significantly from the meal. I hope they can do a better job of meat selection in future as otherwise this is really a great place going into its third decade in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great time again !JasonDined on 5/6/2014My friend and I had dinner at the grill and everything was amasing !! The service is great and you fell like you are in Brazil ! The feijoada is the best !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was spectacular...JasonDined on 4/22/2014Great food, great atmosphere, overall A+ I will definitely be going back!! If you're looking to try something new or just looking for change from the typical american cuisine, you should start here!! It's definitely different in terms of how food is prepared/served, but still meets the american standard for those questioning if the food is too different. Service was spectacular and my friends and I had such a good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Easter Brunch!mrijonesDined on 4/20/2014Our party of 6 had a great time today at The Grill from Ipanema! Great Food! Great Service!Special Features: