The Grill at The Lodge at Torrey Pines
11480 North Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
The Grill at The Lodge at Torrey Pines
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lodgetorreypines.com/dining.php
- Phone: 8587776641
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday-Saturday: 6:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch (ala carte): Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Boling
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us every Friday and Saturday night from 6:30pm-9:30pm and enjoy live music from our guitarist, Mike Nelson.
Proud Allied Members of the San Diego Brewers Guild, join us quarterly for our Craft Beer Dinner Series. Featuring local breweries, our Chefs and beer enthusiasts, Daniel Boling and Jeff Dibble, construct an inventive five course menu highlighting local and seasonal ingredients paired with each rare brew.
A word from The Grill at The Lodge at Torrey Pines
The Grill offers a casual and convenient San Diego dining experience located adjacent to the practice putting greens and starters club house of the Torrey Pines Golf Course. Whether dining inside or on the patio, you will find a complete menu of your favorite items and beverages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Grill at The Lodge at Torrey Pines - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Grill at The Lodge at Torrey Pines reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (18)great for outdoor dining (17)great for lunch (16)neighborhood gem (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)notable wine list (2)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great BreakfastDiningoutDined on 10/12/2014I was craving a bagel and lox plate which was not on the menu. I mentioned it to the server and she said,"Oh, no problem. We can do that." I was so happy. My husband had a ginormous breakfast burrito and he really enjoyed it. The restaurant has a greatview of the greens and just a pleasant place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014was looking forward to coming back here but probably will not return unless playing a round. very noisy & service was good until we got our food, then the waiter disappeared. we also split an entree & lets just say it was not split evenly my friend had 90% the Seared Ahi & I had 80% of the greens & olives...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014there was not a feeling of warmth very dark, not sure will participate in restaurant week again this was our second year. each time we were given the feeling of second class patrons, being seated in the least desirable location, when requesting a change told, all the tables were reserved. At the grill hostess was very sweet and did try to be helpful, waiter professional, manager was attentive to the patrons and available.
- kisfanVIPDined on 9/26/2014Green beans & wedge salad could have more flavor . Very good French fries. Our server, Matthew, was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant weekMicheleDined on 9/24/2014For resturant week my husband and I went to Pompamoose and Torrey Pines Lodge and Torrey Pines won hands down. We were treated with smiles and great service from the entire staff. They started us off with there famous chips and onion dip. Next was a great tomato basil soup with a grill cheese, fried chicken on a waffle and a chocolate moose for desert. They gave you so much food but most of all it tasted great. And the fried chicken was wonderful the next day for lunch. This is the first time I have written a review and they deserve 10 stars on the entire evening. ThanksSpecial Features:
- SherzaiDined on 9/23/2014I had a horrible experience at this restaurant. We were there on September 23, 14 for my birthday dinner. It happened to be restaurant week. So, i ordered Salmon for myself, steak for my husband and macaroni cheese for my daughter. The salmon was made really bad, it was really really oily. The steak for my husband was not cooked well, you can literally see the blood inside the meat. The server was suppose to ask how you want your steak to be cook. My husband usually wants it well done, but he forgot to tell the server. i can understand that my husband was suppose to tell, but usually the server ask. And my daugher loves macaroni and cheese, but the taste was so bad i don't what kind of cheese they used. She didn't even had a spoon of it.Special Features:
- service is improvingkaycelldinesVIPDined on 9/15/2014I still never see a manager, but the service, which has been the only weakness of this restaurant, is improving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service is the problemkaycelldinesVIPDined on 8/27/2014while the food remains good at this restaurant, the service is lacking. The servers are untrained and apparently unsupervised since a manager is very rarely seen.Special Features:
- Famous place to eatTravelerDined on 8/23/2014The Grill sits right at the first tee and while you enjoy your meal, you can watch golfers tee off. Service was great, food great but the view of the course and the ocean is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a STAPLE IN LA JOLLADebbieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Always great food, easy breezy lunch; drinks; golf outing; great spotSpecial Features:
- GolferPilotDined on 7/12/2014Very disappointed after hearing reports that it was good. Service was slow, unorganized but very polite. The food , the strip steak, was mediocre and tasted as if thawed recently. It was tasteless although the calamari starter was very good. Can't recommend for other than a quick bite and rum.
- Very averagePilotDined on 7/11/2014Service is disappointing probably due to the practice of not having the waiter/waitress deliver the meals. The appetizers and meals are dropped off by what seems to be kitchen staff or bus boys who have no idea on how to present a meal. We had the starters literally dropped on to the table with no explanation of the various sauces accompanying them. The strip steak tasted like it has been thawed in water and was absolutely tasteless. Wine was ok but overpriced, as most California restaurants are.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/9/2014Keep on the server if you are in a hurry. But good food and an idyllic setting
- service has improvedkaycelldinesVIPDined on 7/7/2014the food is very good here but the service never matched it. That seems to have improved but the staff can still be somewhat inattentive. There is never a manager visible.Special Features:
- July 4 dinnercuisinierDined on 7/4/2014We have always enjoyed The Grill. This evening though I was somewhat disappointed in the service and the dish I was served - trout amandine. My wife's dish - seafood in Brodo - was excellent. The server was quite nice but seemed "in a hurry." The Trout Amandine was a bit salty, and the string beans not sufficiently cooked to al dente. I'm certain we will be returning because, overall, our experience has been quite positive. One more thought: I have found that holidays are not the best time to go to a restaurant, the food and service are never quite the same. Unfortunately, the 4th happened to be my birthday. Perhaps better to cook at home on major holidays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the The Grill at The Lodge at Torrey Pines reviews archive.
- service needs to improvekaycelldinesVIPDined on 6/18/2014There are many servers who stand around and don't even look around at their tables to see if diners need anything. Themanagement should fix this. There was no manager on site. Maybe that is the problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort Lunch FoodDebbieVIPDined on 6/17/2014BLTA, yepl Sloppy Joes, yep. You can;t go wrong at the Grill. Great golf, food, service most every time.Special Features:
- Torrey Pines Course and ocean viewsAnneDDined on 6/17/2014Slow service this time. Took a long time to get food ordered but all else was pretty good. IT was a business lunch so fairly short, but I still don't like it when a check is dropped while we are still actively eating. I asked what if we wanted dessert? And he was kind and talked about soem dessert options, but still. Food was tasty. Great location.Special Features:
- Lodge at Torrey Pines - gorgeous!CAandMAVIPDined on 6/8/2014The Grill gives diners an opportunity to experience the beautiful Greene and Greene decor and the lavish golf course views without committing to a AR Valentien price tag! Eating outdoors is a must and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- clubhouse view!DinedWellVIPDined on 5/30/2014If you want to see a building and the Farmers logo this is the place for you. Really disappointed by it all. Food was so so. I will say the service was good. This would not be a place we would return unless it was for a drink after golf.
- Hold the Salt.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2014Service was great, nice spot with great service. The food was horrible. I ordered the calamari and they had mahi tacos on special. Both were non-edible due to heavy amounts of salt. I love salt. I use it when I cook and will use it when at restaurants if their food needs it for my taste. But this was by far, some of the worst food I've ever tasted as it was pure salt.Special Features:
- Good food; great viewLJSDVIPDined on 5/24/2014At TP Golf Course, this is a great place for lunch or dinner or breakfast/brunch. Every meal I've had has been great. Quaint place with great service and food. YOu can sit outside too.Special Features:
- Views are fantastic...food is greatdnbgurleyDined on 5/21/2014Love coming to The Grill. The hotel is gorgeous. The Grill has excellent food. Good choice for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great burger on the mesakaycelldinesVIPDined on 5/14/2014All of the reviews about the burgers here were spot on! Well cooked, well dressed. The salad on the other hand was a huge disappointment. A waste of good greens with a taste-free, salt-free dressing. I'll splurge on the fries next time.Special Features:
- foodforthoughtDined on 5/11/2014good place for after golf, but not for a nice dinner or special occasion.
- Better than expected for dinnerBFBSDVIPDined on 5/6/2014Previously had good lunches at The Grill although a bit higher cost that other places on less expensive sites. Our first visit for dinner was considerably better than expected and priced fairly. The complementary home made potato chips and dip was addictive, the young lettuce salad used very fresh and flavorful ingredients, and the trout almandine was very good. A nice feature is that most main courses are available in two sizes. The smaller portion of trout was more than sufficient for us with the chips, salad, and accompanying vegetables. Service was friendly and knowledgeable and the only nit was that the waiter emptied the entire half bottle of wine we ordered into our two glasses after he opened it.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningBethVIPDined on 4/16/2014On the spur of the moment had a craving for the delicious biscuits. From the salad, wine sections to our delicious entrees, great service, we were so glad we went. We sat outside and watched the sunset over Torrey pines. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service...fair...food, greatDebbieVIPDined on 4/7/2014The servers are not consistent...somedays great. Today, we no one came to refill our waters/club sodas. food was excellent.Special Features:
- Not Your Typical Neighborhood GrillSDLabGuyDined on 4/1/2014This was my first time experiencing the Lodge at Torrey Pines as I am not a golfer or aspire to be one. However I had a meeting scheduled with a potential client staying in the LaJolla area, so the Grille was a good choice. It's located near the putting green of this scenic and renowned San Diego treasure. Its warm, Mission styled interior is ideal for easy conversation, privacy, and great ambiance. The service by wait staff was attentive and wonderful. While we opted for a light lunch fare of salads, they were of fresh, not overly prepared and generous and refreshing vons beautiful spring afternoon. I highly recommend the Grille as a place to go to have a most relaxing and scenic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good option for Lodge residentsHermDined on 3/19/2014Good variety dinner menu and wine list. Good service. Not good reservations through Open Table. The only options Open Table gave us were 4:45 or 7:30 PM so we took 4:45 even though it was tight to get there with our plane schedule. The place was nearly empty the entire evening. We could have arrived at 5:30 of 6 PM with no trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their burger lives up to the hype!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Incredibly well-managed restaurant, and though all four of us had the same thing (it was for my son's birthday) their famed Drugstore Burger absolutely lived up to the hype. One of the best hamburgers you can (or will) find anywhere on the planet. Nothing but the basics, but done to perfection with A+ ingredients all around. Spectacular, with a view of one of the world's great seaside golf courses as part of the bargain and truly excellent service. The restaurant manager here deserves a raise!Special Features:
- Great spot for visitors to La JollaDebbieVIPDined on 3/14/2014Food is spot-on every time. Great old standbys - Burger, Sloppy Joes, Grilled Cheese, Cobb Salad, Tomato Soup. A perfect place for a beautiful, casual, enjoyable, great-tasting lunch.Special Features:
- Great views; great foodDebbieVIPDined on 3/13/2014Service is on and off, depends on the sever. Food is always spot-on and delishSpecial Features:
- Patio Overlooking Golf CourseAbeilleVIPDined on 3/8/2014Beautiful views on the patio for a nice lunch and craft beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Local Work Lunch SpotDebbieVIPDined on 3/6/2014You can't go wrong with comfort lunch food - sloppy joes, BLTA, Soup, Grilled Cheese, Burgers - everything hits the spot!Special Features:
- An essential stop in La Jolla, CADebbieVIPDined on 3/5/2014Always a great spot of lunch, golf, people watching and fantastic views.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedPolitePescatarianVIPDined on 2/15/2014I didn't know The Lodge even had a grill room. We love A R Valentien, but needed a quick dinner before an event so we thought we'd try The Grill. The staff was extremely friendly, the food came quickly and was good. I had the pasta with sage and butternut squash and my husband had the hamburger. While we were sitting there, I saw as many as ten burgers come out of the kitchen, so that's the popular meal. We also split an excellent strawberry and rhubarb crumble. The waitress brought extra homemade vanilla ice cream without our having to ask. It feels like a private club, but without the dues. They also have a guitarist Friday and Saturday nights. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- nice mistakeDFJGDined on 2/14/2014I thought I'd made reservations for the main restaurant at the lodge...my bad as it was for Valentine's dinner. Not the ambiance we had in mind, but the food was very good and a little live music made it all work just fine.Special Features:
- A great grastronomic experiencecuisinierDined on 2/14/2014Pleasant atmosphere, relatively quiet, plenty of space between tables, very good service and truly excellent food. We will definitely revisit this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both food quality and quantityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Both food quality and quantity were good. Servers were attentive but not overbearing. Grill atmosphere delightful.Special Features: