The Grill at Highland Row
4705 Old Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Grill at Highland Row
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thegrillathighlandsrow.com/
- Phone: (865) 851-7722
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With seating for up to 40 guests, our private dining room is the perfect place to host your next business,social get together,or special event. Work with our chef to develop a customized special event menu or allow your guests to order directly from our extensive menu. Contact Chad Barger at 865-851-7722 for private dining availability and reservations.
- Private Party Contact: Chad Barger 8658517722
- Entertainment: Live jazz featured on patio every Wednesday evening weather permitting.
A word from The Grill at Highland Row
The Grill at Highlands Row is a locally owned and operated steak and seafood restaurant featuring sophisticated Southern cuisine. The unique menu reflects the restaurant"s commitment to the Knoxville and East Tennessee area. The Grill's steak options include locally raised, all natural grass-fed beef, as well as prime cuts and our Butcher Block selections. The bread is made by Knoxville-based Hogan's Bakery, cheeses are from Sweetwater Valley, and the Elk Burger is made from elk farm-raised in Morgan County. In addition, The Grill offers a wide variety of diverse seafood options including shrimp and grits, award winning crab cakes, a traditional 'High' country seafood boil, and fresh Carolina trout.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Grill at Highland Row - Best Restaurants in Knoxville ›
The Grill at Highland Row reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (29)great for brunch (19)romantic (17)good for groups (14)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Average at bestTN10VIPDined on 11/19/2014Very pleasant and competent staff from hostess to waitstaff but food average and overpriced. Had heard about Highland Grill for years and decided on sharing birthday dinner. Bean soup was undercooked but waiter quickly replaced it with another appetizer. Swordfish tough with little flavor. Vegatarian dinner (only one to choose from) of mushroom and kale crepe was good but not memorable. Just expected more for the price.
- Not worth the tripNoStarsHereDined on 11/17/2014I can only conclude that it was Monday and the second string was preparing the meals without supervision , the gnocchi were solid over cooked balls of dough this set the tone for the entrees as well . over done, dry ,lacking flavor. The fireplace created a smoky dining experience that lingered on our clothing for hours. if we had wanted to be perfumed by smoke we would have attended a bonfire. Truly a very disappointing experience not to be repeated.......
- brunchFelterDined on 11/9/2014always wanted to have brunch at the grill We were pleased with the selections and quality of the food. Will go back. A little crowded and noisy at 11:30, quieted down after noon, will go later next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good service and food, butCentaurDined on 11/8/2014Good service and very good food for 3/4 of us -- but noise level made conversation impossible and that is why we gathered for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014We had been bothered with the noise level on past visits, but this time it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TaraDined on 11/4/2014Wonderful food and service! Always enjoy bringing our out of town vendors to enjoy tastes of the South!Special Features:
- Awesome Brunchknoxdiner9Dined on 11/2/2014Loved their brunch as always! The food is always amazing, i love the ease of getting a reservation and not having to wait in the post church rush.Special Features:
- Nice place, nice mealTopDawgDined on 10/29/2014This was my first time at the Grill. The service was prompt and courteous (it was Wed. and the restaurant was only 25% full). I had swordfish which was cooked just right, the salsa on top wasn't helpful because the fish itself was nicely flavored. The sweet potato slices were good, but over seasoned with a spice I can't identify. That conflicted with the fish. The french string beans were okay, but as a rule that type of bean tends to be less than flavorful compared to a regular green bean. If the two sides has been better, I would have gone to five stars. The ambiance was nice in the booth we had - quiet due to few customers. Prices are higher end for Knoxville - expect to spend easily $100 (incl. tip) for two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!FoodFunDined on 10/26/2014Great specials at brunch! Quiche & Hoghlands Benedict were wonderful; $3 Mimosa! Dinner is always fantastic. Great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding all the way!MagicCityVIPDined on 10/24/2014One of the better finds in recent memory, we were in town for the Bama/Vols game, and treated well, even though outnumbered handily in Vol country. We had party of eight, and were efficiently and professionally served, waitress had a big personality. Every food item was terrific, and try the Bistro steak, fabulous flavor. Can't say enough good about this restaurant, and prices reasonable for delightful experience. Roll Tide, and a big win at The Grill!Special Features:
- Really Nice placeMikeHVIPDined on 10/16/2014Was driving through the area and found the restaurant on open table. Everything was great. As in any southern restaurant, if you dont want your food spicey, you have to tell them. The swordfish was great, just I was sweating through the meal. Not complaining though.Special Features:
- Great night out!Ben1Dined on 10/11/2014Wonderful experience. Food was good and the atmosphere was relaxing.Special Features:
- MediocreCarm5605Dined on 10/4/2014Very nice atmosphere for a peaceful dinner with friends. Food was just ok. I had the house salad and onion soup. Salad was pre dressed when served and lettuce was limp and warm. The onion soup was very salty and had very little cheese topping. My friend had the grouper which looked rather greasy. I may try again just on the premise that I ordered the wrong thing or caught them on an off night. No complaint about the serviceSpecial Features:
- Pleasant surpriseCharlieDined on 10/3/2014First time diner. Although we have been coming to Knoxville for several years - sorry it took us this long to find out about The Grill. Very nice menu and wine list, service is attentive and professional, the food preparation is outstanding. Prices are quite reasonable. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationChristyDined on 10/3/2014We celebrated four members of our family's birthday. We had a last minute addition of three people and the restaurant accommodated this and made the evening very special for everyone. As always, the food is incredible, the service is outstanding, and the atmosphere is just the right mix between upscale and casual. We love eating here everytime we're in town.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Table for 4, all enjoyed the dinner. The steaks were done correctly and the fish entree was also good. The prices are on the upper side though. 2 people would be hard pressed to have dinner for under $100; we spent over $300 for 4 people. We may return on special occasions, but this won't be a 'go-to' choice because of the cost.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantDiscriminatingBudsDined on 9/27/2014Our first time there and it was great. I felt the food was overpriced in some aspects but in others it was below market value. We plan to go back and the friends we took said that they wanted to make it a regular dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Anniversary DinnerKnoxfoodieDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I spent our first anniversary, just as we did the occasion of our 1-year-dating, at The Grill at Highland's Row. The Grill is consistently good and offers seasonal menu variations. My wife had the Porkchop that was perfectly cooked to medium (don't be afraid Tennessee natives, it's perfectly fine to have medium-well whole muscle pork!) with spectacular, smokey Benton's Collards and mashed potatoes (which I found a tad lacking in flavor, but she loved). I had the Creole Braised Quarter of Chicken that was just perfect with tangy peach glaze and rich al dente ricotta gnocchi. Our server even brought us complimentary dessert and the manager, alerted to our instagramming came to visit our table. It was a great anniversary!Special Features:
- Delightful, as always!JudyFoodieDined on 9/13/2014Excellent service, creative delicious menu, and good wine choices. And, they worked hard to accommodate our tight schedule, as we had a play to get to after dinner. Best crab cakes in town!Special Features:
- Lovely for Birthday DinnerMadiDined on 9/12/2014My boyfriend and I went for the first time for his birthday. Waiter was wonderful. Food was delicious and full of flavor. We were given a free dessert for his birthday, too! Would definitely return for another great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing EveningTREXAIKENVIPDined on 9/10/2014We are in the process of buying a home in Knoxville. We have experienced many ups and downs in the buying process. We selected this restaurant based on location and we will become regulars!! The atmosphere was very relaxing and our server, Jordan applied no pressure!! Despite arriving after 8pm, we were not rushed or ever felt pushed during our entire meal! Jordan was able to answer all of our questions relating to the menu and was very attentive and informative. The food was well presented & delicious! (Because it was late, I had a caesar salad & we share the cheese and charcuterie boards….lots of food to share!!). This is a great place to have a relaxing, no pressure evening with amazing food!! Highly recommended and great value!!Special Features:
- FantasticeasylivingDined on 9/7/2014This is our go-to place for special occassions. We also love to take out of town guests here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceJamitatxDined on 9/5/2014We celebrated a late 15th anniversary and chose The Grill at Highland Row by requests of friends. We were not disappointed. It was excellent. We had fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits and crab cakes. It was all delicious. We will certainly be back for another special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week nt dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014We were promptly seated in a nice quite booth( as we had requested online). Service was prompt and well done. Food was very good, especially the trout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelminghunterDined on 8/16/2014Sadly disappointed. The menu descriptions made the features look very good. However, the actual dishes themselves were not very appealing. Very pricey for the quality of the food.
- One of my favorite Knoxville spots!ams1676Dined on 8/16/2014I love this place for many reasons. First, it is a gem in a sea of boring chain restaurants with which Knoxville is saturated. It is elegant, but not stuffy, you can come dressed up or slightly casual & still fit right in. The service is always fantastic & the servers & bartenders know their stuff. The wine list is not encylopedic, but you will have no problem getting a decent glass of wine & the cocktails are always mixed well. The menu is seasonal, which I love, this is one of the few restuarants where I am perfectly content to try something new everytime & I have never had a bad experience here.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceLarooVIPDined on 8/12/2014We had a delightful dinner at the Grill with some friends. The food and service were excellent. In particular, the chef's take on southern classics was creative, and all of the food was wonderfully fresh and appeared to be locally sourced. Very nice dining room and bar. Wine list was short but good, although several of the wines we ordered from the wine list were not in the cellar the night we were there. All in all a first-rate dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!MissIreneDined on 8/5/2014It was our first time dining there. Our marketing company was in from Nashville and we always take them somewhere different each time they are here. They LOVED it !! The food was fabulous!! Our server was Fatima. It was her first night and we were her first table. She was OUTSTANDING !!!! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner againAlexDined on 8/2/2014Once again we had a great meal with friends. The trout is great, but we have never had a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 352 reviews are from the The Grill at Highland Row reviews archive.
- Knoxville FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014It is our favorite restaurant in town. Have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014service and food is always great . :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2014We had a wonderful brunch at The Grill at Highland Row. No waiting for a table, and they were able to accommodate our large party. Terrific drink specials, great food and very reasonable prices. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- SuzySuzyVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food and service was excellent! Our waiter suggested a wine that we loved. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over priced and just okayMacdaddyDined on 6/20/2014I was very disappointed with this restaurant. Upon arrival there was a mix up with our table. Our waitress was good and knew the menu well. We ordered the oysters and french onion soup. The oysters were ok, (actually have had better at other places). The soup was wonderful, best part of our whole meal and worth the $6. My wife ordered the grouper and I ordered the rib-eye with pepper crusting. Neither were worth the price. The grouper was over cooked and the cheese grits, I could have made at home. My rib-eye had such huge cracks of pepper on it, that he couldn't even eat it and the potatoes that came with the meal were crunchy and not completely cooked. We paid $91 for what should have been a $45 meal. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!Special Features:
- awesome food and service.Bill2832Dined on 6/17/2014First time visit. Great dining experience.incredible service and great history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerBarbDined on 6/16/2014We went to celebrate my wife's birthday on a Monday evening. The restaurant wasn't crowded, and we received excellent service. An important note is that Monday is half price bottles of wine. This was a pleasant surprise. The porterhouse pork chop was excellent as well as the hot chicken (spicy). My wife received a free dessert for her birthday and chose the chocolate soufflé, and we teamed that with the Cruze Farm strawberry ice cream. We had a wonderful experience at the Grill on Highlands Row and will definitely return.Special Features:
- SallyDined on 6/15/2014It was perfect for a quiet family brunch on Sunday. Tables adorned with white linens. The service was excellent without being intrusive to guests' conversations. Food was hot and served in good time. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunchknoxdiner9Dined on 6/15/2014Highlands Grill always is a great meal and this was no different. Our food was great, and we had a wonderful waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDillonxxDined on 6/14/2014The food, drinks, and service were outstanding. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Lacked organizationdmfloridaDined on 6/8/2014Made online reservation Sat eve. Called Sun a.m. to request patio. When we arrived hostess had no note of same. Hasty patio table set up with no silver, napkins. Brought on request. After bread brought had to ask for plates to which server said plates will come with the food!Special Features: