The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
5501 N. Hacienda del Sol Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85718Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.haciendadelsol.com/
- Phone: 5205293500x
- Hours of Operation:
Terraza: Sunday - 2pm - 10pm; Monday - Thursday 11am - 9pm; Friday and Saturday 11am - 10pm
The Grill: Breakfast: Monday - Saturday 7am - 10am; Brunch Sunday 9:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bruce Yim
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Rooms are available for parties of 2 to 180. Available dining space includes outdoor dining under the stars in beautiful floral areas. Historic rooms such as our Library, banquet rooms such as Casa Feliz or Hacienda Room and the window enclosed Grill. Contact us for your dream wedding, rehearsal dinners, business meetings, birthday and anniversary celecbrations and many other special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Burns 5209011310x
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday on the Terraza Patio from 7pm-10pm; Sunday from 5pm-8pm. Live piano or classical guitar in the Grill nightly.
A word from The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol is one of Arizona's top restaurants located in a beautiful setting at the base of Tucson's Catalina Foothills. Breathtaking mountain and city views are captured from The Grill's dining room where you will be treated to "Spirited Southwestern Hospitality" and a remarkable menu featuring local ingredients from the resort's own organic gardens, local purveyors, and growers. The Grill's wine list, with over 850 selections, was twice bestowed "The Award of Ultimate Distinction" by Wine Enthusiast Magazine and has been awarded the "Best Of Award of Excellence" from Wine Spectator for 16 consecutive years. There is a charming open air bar patio, a casual setting featuring our Terraza Garden Patio & Lounge. Live Jazz featured Thursday evenings, various band such as Latin Jazz, Country and Classic Rock featured Fridays and Saturdays; Blues featuring Marty Kool on Sunday evenings. The Grill features classic guitar and piano seven nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (42)scenic view (41)romantic (34)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (9)great for lunch (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Wonderful anniversaryMNSinAZDined on 10/10/2014We had a special 3-course meal (w/wine) for $85 and every bit of it was fantastic. We skipped the wine and they adjusted the price, which was nice. The view during the day and night is fantastic with the golf course from La Paloma to the montains and city lights. The services is always tops. Live piano player is also a great touch you only see in a few places. I mentioned it was our anniversary and they decorated our dessert plates. :)Special Features:
- Still Nice Despite ConstructionDougTucsonDined on 10/2/2014Although Hacienda Del Sol has lots of construction going on, including some that interferes with parking and with the entrance to the Grill, once you get inside, it is still a lovely place with good food and service. Whether you do outside, bar, or dining room, it is a treat.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchBrnchlvrDined on 9/28/2014Delicious...great service, ambience and views...loved the bottomless mimosas...would recommend adding additional seafood items..crab legs, etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyDined on 9/20/2014Great special occasion place. Wonderful place to enjoy a great meal and a beautiful sunset.Special Features:
- A great location for special eventsLovetheviewDined on 9/6/2014We tend to take out of town guests to dinner here because it's so good and it's very representative of Tucson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Innovative and delicious faire. Excellent service. Wonderful ambiance. Amazing wine list, although a bit ppricey, there are good values if you know your stuff.Special Features:
- Beautiful place, fair foodDryPorkDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant is in a beautiful old Spanish style building. To say it has a view while true is gazing out a window, past the reflection of the room behind you and seeing some lights down below. Hardly worth the trip or the over priced menu. Both m wife and I had the Pork Tenderloin, and while beautiful to look at so overcooked as to be dried out and even had to cut. I'm new to Tucson and I thought taking my wife here would be a special evening but with the noisy from a band playing at an even in another part of the hotel and the oh so fair food it turned out to be anything but a memorable evening.
- Small portions, high pricesCannwomanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Although the ambiance was nice and the service was good, the prices were very high for what you got. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJamesDined on 8/18/2014From start to finish, everything was great. Food presentation and quality was outstanding.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Went for brunch and had very enjoyable time. Hostesses and waiters were friendly and attentive. With the various food stations, there was something for everyone. Tender ribs with cheesy grits, well-stuffed cheese blintzes with blackberry sauce and berries, a snappy ceviche and the grilled veggies were particular favorites on this trip. Only downsides: the orange juice was room temp and they ran out of peach juice for bellinis.Special Features:
- Sunset Views, Great Food and Wineeat2liveVIPDined on 8/11/2014The Grill offers everything we look for in a great dining experience. Wonderful setting, quiet atmosphere, knowledgeable & attentive service. The excellent wine list is expansive but with a Som that offers guidance. I had the Venison chops that were perfectly prepared to a true medium-rare producing a game dish that was flavorful & tender. The pork chop was rated as "best ever" by my wife. The chef knows his craft! Our waitress was there when needed but not intrusive. We shared the blue cheese panna-cotta desert to top off the meal. I truly can't think of any part of the evening that was not "great". It is rare to find a restaurant that hits all of the targets throughout an extended evening but the Grill does not disappoint. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodgwsteffensDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went to The Grill at Hacienda del Sol for our anniversary. We've been to other high end restaurants in Tucson and know what to expect at a fine eating establishment. This was one of the best dinners we've ever had. The presentation was wonderful, the flavors were fantastic, and the environment was very romatic for us. I highly recommend The Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasionRegularDined on 7/30/2014Hacienda Del Sol is a very special place with a wonderful ambiance and view. It is a place valued mostly for the setting and views. The food was good, and the service was excellent. The waiter was attentive and there when you wanted, but not overbearing. The pricing is a bit over the top. The food was quite good, but not up to the value of the price. This definitely a place for a special occasion, but not a great value for more frequent visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DougTucsonDined on 7/24/2014We like this place for lunch. Usually sit in the bar area and enjoy good service, good food, great surroundings. Dining room is first class in every way as well, and has a great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hacienda Drl DolFavoeiteDined on 7/18/2014One of those places with an upscale menu and service to matchSpecial Features:
- Classic hacienda with good ambiancecouldhavedonebetterVIPDined on 7/14/2014This Hacienda is a classic place, former girl's boarding school and now a fabulous restaurant and hotel perfect for events or a special dinner out. We had burgers and pasta on the patio and it was fabulous. Our waitress was super friendly. There was a Spanish guitar player that went around and played at each table (tip expected in guess) and it added greatly to the special ambiance. I will definitely come back next time when in Tucson, AZ.Special Features:
- Poor Sevice, very slow,rude hostessGeneDined on 7/10/2014Shortly after we arrived and were dealing with our reservation, another couple arrived, butted in and started talking to the hostess. She stopped in the middle of our conversation and took the couple off to the bar area. We protested when she returned. A minute later the other couple came back out and butted in again and the whole scene was repeated. During dinner other customers came well after us, were served, and left before we got our meals. Several times the manager wandered through the dining room, but studiously avoided our table or even eye contact. One of the meals that wasn't finished was boxed for later consumption. When arriving home we discovered it to be someone a meal from someone else.Special Features:
- New menu only so-soSDSeadogDined on 7/5/2014I've loved the Grill at Hacienda del Sol for decades (I grew up in Tucson). This trip was underwhelming. The restaurant was about half full and yet service was quite slow. The new menu....well, it was okay but it seems like it's trying too hard to be trendy. I think it only rises to average. The beauty of the Grill was that it didn't try to be pretentious. It was well-done, classical food prepared and served perfectly. While nothing was "wrong", the evening was far less than the delightful experiences to which I've become accustomed with the Grill. This trip fell short for me and for this kind of money I'll seriously reconsider if HdS remains a competitive consideration in the value for money category.
- Red, White and Brew just OKrelaxndineDined on 7/4/2014We attended the July 4th special event and were happy with the atmosphere, music and drinks. The food was just OK, and while it's fine to have small plates for appetizers, we all were extremely disappointed that we couldn't have a large plate for our dinner. We spent more time going back and forth with the little plates, instead of enjoying visiting with each other. Would not do it again.Special Features:
- Beautiful SpotscottiecraigVIPDined on 6/29/2014Hacienda del Sol is a classic special occasion location. Its old adobe buildings, stunning gardens, foothill views are wonderful. Five of us enjoyed their well respected Sunday buffet brunch. Unlimited champagne or mimosas are included, there are a number of excellent salad choices, sushi, cheese and charcuterie, a wide variety of fruits, smoked salmon and boiled shrimp, an omelet bar, two different carved meats, rolls and sweet breads, and a variety of hot dishes: blintzes, eggs Benedict, breakfast potatoes, pasta with lamb sausage, roasted vegetables, and an assortment of desserts. The dining rooms are handsome and quiet, the service is flawless, the atmosphere is delightful. The food is very good but it's not quite up to the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Surprise!GambitDined on 6/29/2014I made a reservation for four for breakfast on a Sunday (because we've eaten breakfast there prior). When my husband and I arrived, we were told that on Sunday they only served brunch.....well, we weren't sure how the other couple would feel - they don't like buffet-style brunches. Once they arrived and were informed of apparently my error, they kind of frowned but said they didn't want to hop around to find another venue. Lo and behold they absolutely loved it!! It was one of the best brunches we've had and everything was delicious....everything. Thank you The Grill...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic evening!SouthactorVIPDined on 6/28/2014Celebrated a friends birthday and had an amazing experience. Jessica and Christopher did a wonderful job. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good like always but...tmpaulsenDined on 6/28/2014Good like always but the kitchen was a bit slow. The manager made up for it though by taking off the desert from our bill. Wish we could dine there more frequently. One of our favorite places in town.Special Features:
- TL51Dined on 6/23/2014ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS FOOD AND AMBIENCE. TABLESIDE CLASSICAL GUITAR BY DR MARCO COSTA. WE CELEBRATED OUR 40TH ANNIVERSARY--I LET THE MAITRE 'DE KNOW WE HAD A SPECIAL OCCASION AND THE STAFF ABSOLUTELY KNOCKED THEMSELVES OUT TO MAKE IT SPECIAL (HARD TO MAKE A PLACE MORE SPECIAL THAN IT ALREADY IS....) A MAGICAL AND UNIQUE SETTING WITH SPECTACULAR FOOD AND A VIEW AND GROUNDS TO MATCH. WE ALWAYS TAKE OUT OUR OF TOWN GUESTS HERE WHEN WE WANT THEM TO SEE THE VERY BEST FOOD AND AMBIENCE TUCSON HAS TO OFFER. WE'LL BE BACK AGAIN AND AGAIN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 883 reviews are from the The Grill at Hacienda del Sol reviews archive.
- Our MealDTSTVIPDined on 6/21/2014Simply put, from beginning to end everything was absolutely over the top wonderful. The best meal we have eaten in Tucson.Special Features:
- Great dinnermom4meetingDined on 6/21/2014We celebrated our anniversary here and were giddy from the yummy food. The scallops were to die for. Thanks.Special Features:
- Outstanding Restaurant!MarilynDined on 6/17/2014We were guests at the Hacienda del Sol for two nights and enjoyed all our meals at the Grill. The food is very, very good and the service is outstanding. The guitar player in the evening was a highlight and he plays at individual tables. The wine list is very extensive and rated highly by Wine Spectator. The view from the dining room is lovely, especially at sunset.Special Features:
- Grill at Haciendadel SolNafiDined on 6/15/2014We usually go to the Grill for very special occasions ie anniversary,birthday etc.From the moment we enter the restaurant until we leave we are treated by all wait staff as special. All servers at restaurant each have a certain function and perform their job meticulously. The presentation of food is creative,beautiful to eye and very satisfying to ones hunger. Love the GrillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room With A ViewVet66Dined on 6/15/2014Great food, loyal staff who love their work, quietly professional who know how to make it all come together without being contrived. When family and friends come to town this is the place to take them to show off the Old Pueblo.Special Features:
- LovelyonebizzylizzyDined on 6/13/2014We treated our out of town guests to a fabulous dinner. The servers were attentive but not over the top, the food was delish, as always. Perfect window seat to watch the sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UncleBobDined on 6/10/2014The twice baked potato served with the NY Strip was cold. I told the waiter. He came back after several minutes & said asked if he could replace it with something else. I was finished eating by then! I was comped a dessert but why couldn't they just stick the cold potato in a microwave for 1 minute?Special Features:
- LalaladahlingDined on 6/8/2014Service and Food was the best. We were there celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and my husbands recent remission from cancer. I couldn't have asked for a better meal and experience.Special Features:
- Delicious prices are now too highMVG1Dined on 6/5/2014Lovely food beautiful view but The fare could be a little lighter on the off season menu when it's 100 degrees leads meat more salad options please I will be back in OctoberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchTrivladyDined on 6/1/2014We celebrated our anniversary with friends for Brunch. Friendly Staff, we were greeted and seated in the Bar area for maybe 5 minutes while our table was made ready. It was already a bit too hot to sit on the patio. Wonderful variety, and everything we sampled was delicious. my husband had the mini waffles, which he said were light and fluffy. A bit pricy, but worth it for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceIsabelDined on 6/1/2014It has been quite a while since I visited The Grill but I was looking for a place to celebrate a friends' birthday and decided on your Sunday Brunch, and it was extremely enjoyable. The food was fresh, with a little something for all tastes and the servers made us feel special. I will definitely return and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- StuffyOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/31/2014Our dinner started out bad, we requested a table that had a view and were stuck back in a corner. We were told the tables with a view were "reserved" and when we left, 4 tables were empty. The menu is very limited, and very expensive. One of our dinners came out cold; the steak was so cold that the butter on top did not melt. The sides were cold. The pork chop was very tough. Would not recommend this restaurant; they have an outside patio and a cheaper menu...try that if you want the ambience.
- Not up to normal standardshungryDined on 5/25/2014The first time we visited here, everything was outstanding. This time the service was poor and our order took a long time to arrive. No one came to fill our water glasses, even though we asked twice. When we requested additional butter, the waiter forgot and we had to ask again. One entre was very salty, clearly a mistake because we had this entre before. By the time the waiter finally came around and the chef admitted the dish was unacceptable, we chose not to have the chef prepare another. The manager apologized and we weren't charged for the entre. Disappointing. The other entre, striped sea bass, was exceptional.Special Features:
- Great experienceLuvbrunchDined on 5/25/2014Had a great experience for brunch. Food was very good and the ambience was terrific. Can't wait to visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceRepeatvisitorDined on 5/25/2014We dined here for the the first time and it was for Sunday Brunch. First Class experience from start to finish. Food selection provided a good range of items from which to choose. Our waiters were expectional in knowing just the right time to approach for beverage refills or answer questions. One thing of particular note was regarding the dessert selection. Portions were smaller-sized which allowed you to experience a greater selection of items. This is an historic property, located in the foothills, great views of the surrounding area. We plan to dine here again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Anniversary at the GrillFryguyzDined on 5/23/2014We traveled from Los Angeles to find the best dinner with a view for a double anniversary and birthday and The Grill at the Hacienda del Sol did not disappoint They provided us with an excellent window view of the Hills overlooking Tucson and the sunset! The wine was excellent and while we asked to split a farmers salad the waiter picked up on the fact that we both wanted to share some of each others dinner. When dinner arrived it had been creatively provided with half of each on each plate! Excellent !! They provided a complimentary plate of chocolates with our Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary written out in chocolate! We immediately posted a photo on facebook! We will be back-Well Done!Special Features: