The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
5501 N. Hacienda del Sol Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85718Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.haciendadelsol.com/
- Phone: (520) 529-3500
- Hours of Operation:
Terraza: Sunday - 2pm - 9pm; Monday - Saturday 11am - 10pm
The Grill: Breakfast: Monday - Saturday 7am - 10am;
Brunch Sunday 9:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bruce Yim
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Rooms are available for parties of 2 to 180. Available dining space includes outdoor dining under the stars in beautiful floral areas. Historic rooms such as our Library, banquet rooms such as Casa Feliz or Hacienda Room and the window enclosed Grill. Contact us for your dream wedding, rehearsal dinners, business meetings, birthday and anniversary celecbrations and many other special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Burns 5209011310x
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday on the Terraza Patio from 7pm-10pm; Sunday from 5pm-8pm. Live piano or classical guitar in the Grill nightly.
A word from The Grill at Hacienda del Sol
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol is one of Arizona's top restaurants located in a beautiful setting at the base of Tucson's Catalina Foothills. Breathtaking mountain and city views are captured from The Grill's dining room where you will be treated to "Spirited Southwestern Hospitality" and a remarkable menu featuring local ingredients from the resort's own organic gardens, local purveyors, and growers. The Grill's wine list, with over 850 selections, was twice bestowed "The Award of Ultimate Distinction" by Wine Enthusiast Magazine and has been awarded the "Best Of Award of Excellence" from Wine Spectator for 16 consecutive years. There is a charming open air bar patio, a casual setting featuring our Terraza Garden Patio & Lounge. Live Jazz featured Thursday evenings, various band such as Latin Jazz, Country and Classic Rock featured Fridays and Saturdays; Blues featuring Marty Kool on Sunday evenings. The Grill features classic guitar and piano seven nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
The Grill at Hacienda del Sol reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)scenic view (48)romantic (39)fit for foodies (31)notable wine list (27)great for brunch (20)neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (13)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Don't miss it!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/7/2014Outstanding. We went for our anniversary and it was the perfect choice. Delicious food and great service. Restaurant has a fantastic view and lots of ambience. Classical guitarist serenaded us while we dined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Regret is.....laura360Dined on 4/7/2014Perhaps this is a life lesson that I have taken from my recent dining experience at The Grill: Hacienda Del Sol, 'I should have ordered dessert....' My friend and I both ordered the Reuben and declared it, "The Best Ruben ...EVER !" We should have ordered desert.....don't let the chance to order desert pass you by....in life or at 'The Grill'Special Features:
- Great, as usual!GrogsealDined on 4/5/2014Hacienda del Sol never disappoints. Our usual table, a different but very good waiter and the great menu and well prepared food made for yet another memorable evening. The special appetizer of spicy frogs legs were a treat. Might have been just a little less zesty. This will always be our favorite place for special evenings.Special Features:
- Lovely birthdayHolliberriVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great food and atmosphere but thought our waiter was a little incentive. I'd mention his name but I don't think he even introduced himself. My husband and I both ordered appetizers and ask about size for sharing. He told us the portions were small just right for one person so we ordered the lobster rolls and mussels. The lobster was perfect but the mussels were much more entree sized. Wished I had just ordered a salad for a starter and the mussels for a entree. That said, we would still definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine at the Grill every yeardinner4twoDined on 4/4/2014Dine at the Grill every year on our anniversary---alwasy great food---great staff---great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a sweet anniversarydessert1stDined on 4/2/2014For late lunch in the bar at happy hour, get the fabulous sweet n sour calamari. The salmon flatbread was a lot of food, we could have split it and been full. After the Jacuzzi at sunset we regained an appetite for dinner at 7:30. Unbeatable view of mountains and city lights is a highlight of the intimate, historic and rustic setting. Dinner at the Grill was light and perfect scallops, and rich dark sauced pork cheeks, with excellent wines by the glass recommended by our server. The chocolate cake along with little surprises of tiny cups of hot chocolate and house made chocolates with a hot pepper finish. For breakfast try the buffalo Benedict and huevos rancheros.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucson 's rep diminishingPabuDined on 3/29/2014Great music Clueless waitstaff Limited menus for a place of its reputation. Hundreds and hundreds of wines but very limited, maybe 5% under $100. Those that were were very mediocreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time I've been disapointedItalianaDined on 3/28/2014My husband and I have gone to The Grille many times over the 9 years that we have lived here and are generally very happy with our experience. This time, his appetizer, the Seafood Crudo, was less than average in taste; his New York steak was very fatty, both our main courses arrived at the table cool instead of hot, and the service was lackadaisical. The ambience, the view, were as beautiful as ever. But, I will be checking with friends as they go to see if we are having a downward trend in our satisfaction levels. I certainly hope not! f I had to go on this experience, I would not return.Special Features:
- Better Breakfast ElsewhereyumyumyumDined on 3/28/2014The omelette with smoked salmon was very tasty and full of salmon. Another guest ordered eggs over easy and they looked like they were barely cooked. There was nothing special about the food, but the view is gorgeous (we had a window table) and we enjoyed walking around the main building which shows the architecture of the period. The service was good and our coffee cups were kept full. I may return for the Sunday brunch which is said to be very good, but not for a weekday breakfast.Special Features:
- Beautiful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014Excellent food, beautiful view, great service! Don't miss a chance to dine here.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014We had a lovely table and the food was beautifully presented and prepared. thank you so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night putOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2014Awesome experience!! Had great food and an amazing view!They even added a little happy birthday decor in chocolate on my dessert plate!Special Features:
- We were very pleased withLynnieDined on 3/16/2014We were very pleased with our dinning experience. Staff was very friendly. The best dinning we have in a long time.Special Features:
- OutstandingsundownDined on 3/16/2014Every aspect, food, service, view, of The Grill was outstanding. We especially enjoyed the music of Eduardo Costa. We look forward to dining at The Grill in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 16 2014 visitdeanDined on 3/16/2014Hoping for table with a view. Unfortunately not.. First visit. Birthday celebration. Regardless tiped hostess $20 and omelet chef and carver chef $20 each and % 40 tip to server. Our reservation for 1pm. At first food needed replenishing and freshened. However by 1:30pm that was done. We did enjoy and will come again. Reservations made online amd experience excellent. Thank you,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance is the best in town,WayneDined on 3/15/2014Ambiance is the best in town, but the menu is not very interesting, and the prices have gotten out of hand. It would no longer be my first choice for a very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not enough sun protection, too loudgogoDined on 3/15/2014Despite the sun shade the reflection of the sun off of the glass next to us was overwhelming and didn't allow me to look at my husband during our anniversary dinner. So I moved next to him, instead of being across from him. But when I turned to look at him I was staring directly into the sun. Even with the translucent shade it was far too bright. There was no other option and it was very uncomfortable. I enjoyed dinner much less as a result. We got married at Hacienda del Sol 16 years ago and come for dinner a few times a year but we were unhappy with this visit.Special Features:
- Wine selection goodJudyVIPDined on 3/14/2014We had help picking out a Zin from the sommelier who did a fine job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Noisy room.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2014The food and service were very good. I highly recommend the braised pork cheeks, which melt in the mouth. An otherwise delightful evening was marred by a large party of noisy men, who were seated at a round table right in the center of the dining room. They were so loud that our party of four couldn't hear each other speak. The table next to ours also was disturbed by this group. I would have thought that such a fine restaurant would have found a better way to accommodate a large group so that the entire dining room is not disturbed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Grill at the HaciendaZipsterDined on 3/11/2014Spot on! A perfect window seat with a view of the Catalina Mountains, and the lights of nearby homes after dusk. Service was quite good (this is sometimes a problem at this restaurant). The food was fabulous, prepared as ordered, served hot and in timely fashion All in all, a great experience.. The warm brussel sprout salad was to die for! Desserts looked heavenly, but there was no room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!GlitzDined on 3/10/2014From the garden, to the warm greeting, to the service, food and guitar music ... Everything was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the operaGrogsealDined on 3/9/2014My wife and I make it a practice to have dinner at Hacienda del Sol after each matinee performance we attend of the Arizona Opera Company. It is a wonderful way to cap a great day. The service is impeccable. The food always surpasses our expectations. The ambiance is the best of any restaurant in Tucson. We also take any out of town visitors there for a special memory for them to take with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filling the gap, now thatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Filling the gap, now that Janos and the Tack Room have closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Atmosphere!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/3/2014The food and atmosphere were 5 star and the service was very good despite the server's deliberate effort to insist that we ask her properly how to frame the question! Example: After ordering we stopped the server walking by and asked if my wife could substitute the starch we first had ordered to hear that it might be an upcharge,have to ask the chef and left us in suspense. Why not "yes" or "certainly"? This exchange was preceded by an exasperated question of "what are you having". What difference did it make? At these prices there should be no qualifications. Overall I found her to be stiff and somewhat impatient. I still tipped her well because the service on the whole was good but somehow we seemed to be un-trainable with this lady.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/3/2014The food was ok but not worth the high price tag. They need to review the pricing or they will go the way of the Ventana Room and other upscale restaurants. There a just too many nice restaurants that have better pricing. An example would be Wildflower and Vivace who have really innovative food and moderate pricing. If I want to pay $45 for a steak it better be as good as Flemings.Special Features:
- So disappointedReeseVIPDined on 2/28/2014After a couple of years of hiatus, my husband and I drove the nearly two hours from Scottsdale to Tucson to enjoy dinner at the Grill at the Hacienda Del Sol with my cousin. The last time we were there, we were blown away by the superb food and romantic atmosphere. Well, the atmosphere still can't be beat, but what has happened in the kitchen? The food was so very average and still quite expensive. My duck entree was dry and overcooked, with virtually no vegetables except beans that could have come from a can. My husband's fish was small with very little veggies and my cousin's venison looked the best of all if a bit undercooked. For the prices this place charges, the food should be not just good but outstanding.
- A Tucson jewelTucsonEllieDined on 2/28/2014The grill at Hacienda del Sol is a treasure. Food is fabulous and beautifully presented by attentive and very knowledgeable staff in a wonderful dining room. We come here often bringing guests from out of town and for birthdays, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantmmleinnhDined on 2/26/2014My husband and I went to the Grill at Hacienda del Sol for our anniversary. We arrived about 1/2 hour early for our reservation so we could stroll the grounds and see what turned out to be the most amazing sunset. We had drinks outdoors at the lovely patio before dinner. Our dinner could not have been better. A 900 bottle wine list from which to choose, and perfectly cooked meals. I had lamb chops and my husband had a porterhouse steak which was HUGE! Big enough for me to share with him. Both were superb - nearly fork tender and cooked exactly to order. My husband also had a chocolate mousse desert which he enjoyed. Overall this restaurant is a 10+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2014Girls get together, most of us had dined here before. Entertaining friends from Phoenix, a little disappointed that there wasn't a larger selection. Our guests would have preferred the selection to be the scale of your holiday brunch. Atmosphere however was appreciated.Special Features:
- Super!BubbaDined on 2/23/2014What a wonderful way to spend a mid-day Sunday! Great food in an idyllic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBepa4Dined on 2/17/2014I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday. It was a first for both of us and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The service was impeccable and the food was absolutely amazing. I would go back any day. This is definitely a gem inside of Tucson!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Meal in TucsonAnthonysDined on 2/16/2014The restaurant and location is outstanding, we arrived on time and were sat right away. The meal began with a palate cleanser of raspberry and champagne (ok, but could have been a bit more flavorful) and had a Bordeaux from the most extensive wine menu I have seen in a long time. The service was outstanding without being intrusive. We ordered the duck and pheasant, both were great, although the pheasant was a bit overdone. The food is simple and delicious; I would definitely return next time I go to Tucson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to the top tierFoodDudeVIPDined on 2/16/2014After some lean years of seeming uncertainty as to menu and service issues, this Tucson favorite is reborn as the classic, high-end dining spot it was for so long. An innovative and updated menu with attention to detail in preparations has made a world of difference. And the service team is professional, low key and actually available! The wine list stuns as it always has and the inventory management in that area seems to have improved. So with the quality coming out of the kitchen and a tension-free dining room experience, this spot is back in the regular rotation. Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereRegularDined on 2/16/2014As always, a beautiful spot for Sunday Brunch. Food was better than some previous visits, although somewhat unimaginative for a well known, high end brunch. Atmosphere is terrific, and service was excellent and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentines Day DinnerNewSoul352Dined on 2/14/2014The Valentines day dinner menu was unique and tastey but expensive. It was a great dinner location that catered to my girlfriends taste regarding ambiance and service. Overall good meal. I recommend going here if you wanted a nice romantic dinner. But remember to bring your wallet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Valentine's eveningBiztravelfoodieVIPDined on 2/14/2014Special occasion weekends can be rushed, almost cafeteria feeling experiences but NOT at Hacienda del Sol. Made our reservation before they decided on fixed price menu for the evening but was not disappointed. My better half must deal with a dairy allergy and usually has to navigate a cheese/dairy minefield. Even though menu was fixed, waiter and chef discussed, called a culinary audible and came up with 2 (of the 4 course selections) on the fly that were excellent. Made our evening very nice. Even the almost expected Maître de table side visit was more friendly and relaxed and made us feel appreciated for selecting the restaurant. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2014We come to tucson every year for the gem and mineral show and always eat at hacienda del sol. They have a wonderful wine list. Their food is consistently good. I do wish they would offer additional entree options. Little light on seafood and vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining!GB88Dined on 2/12/2014I was looking for a quiet, elegant restaurant for dinner and found it here. The food was unique and well-prepared. Service was impeccable. I am very fussy, but found everything extremely well done. There was even an amuse bouche to begin the meal, compliments of the chef, as well as a tiny chocolate end to the meal as well. Can't go wrong with this restaurant located in an historic hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectTall0nVIPDined on 2/10/2014Everything was great, except that the hostess reported my Open Table reservation as being cancelled, even though I checked in 30 minutes early to have a drink at the bar and then went back to the hostess on time and had dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!PamaDined on 2/9/2014Another wonderful brunch at the Hacienda. Can't go wrong here. Definitely one of Tucson's gems!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.