The Grill at Forty 1 North
351 Thames Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grill at Forty 1 North
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.41north.com/dining-grill.aspx
- Phone: 4018468018x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am
Lunch: 11:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch on Saturday and Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us @ email@example.com to inquire about availability...
Private Dining menus & spaces are available for a variety of events...
- Private Party Contact: Paul Sauceda 4018468018x
- Entertainment: Summertime live music on Fridays & Saturdays in our Gallery! (DJs & Musicians subject to weather & availability)
- Special Events: For special event inquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Grill at Forty 1 North
The Grill is Forty 1° North’s dockside restaurant that is designed to deliver a fresh, upscale dining and entertainment experience while providing a unique and serene respite from Newport's bustling waterfront scene. A step off the street, yet a world apart. The menu features grilled meats and seafood, raw bar, as well as locally grown in-season vegetables. There is an open-air dining area, individual tables and bar seating surrounding the covered bar pavilion. Inviting dockside lounge seating creates a perfect setting to relax with cocktails or conversation. The Grill at Forty 1° North is open to the public.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Grill at Forty 1 North - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Grill at Forty 1 North reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (54)great for outdoor dining (42)vibrant bar scene (30)romantic (28)special occasion (27)hot spot (24)notable wine list (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (11)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Sad to sayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014The service was lacking Under staffed and lack of management presence. The food was good but not outstanding for the price. Great venue but that is not enough. Music was loud for fine dining.Special Features:
- Stylish, elegant waterfront diningTeddyDined on 9/13/2014Stylish, elegant waterfront dining even in the rain! On arrival there was nobody available to check us in, after several minutes attempting to find a staff member we found a employee to help us, we wanted to be close to the water so we were dispatched downstairs, the manager there placed us in a isolated spot that had zero atmosphere, we insisted on moving to a table where there was more vibrancy and excitment...lesson learnt - don't be brow beaten by the staff! We made the right choice and had a wonderful time. The food was deilicious though a little too much salt had been applied to our tasty fish dishes, we had scollops, swordfish and the giant shrimp. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Beautiful location but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014We couldn't wait to eat at The Grill. Location was perfect. The server was very nice, but busy. The food was not as good as I thought it would be. Too much dressing on the salad, ordered mushroom/onions on the side and pretty much all onions, I couldn't eat it. It was pretty there, but not sure we would go back. It just didn't "hit the spot"...Special Features:
- Dinner was HorribletravelgirlDined on 9/12/2014my husband and I have eaten at this restaraunt several times in the past 2 years. it was always fabulous. expensive but great and worth it. This past friday night it was horrible. Nothing i can say was good about the food. bland, tasteless overcooked, my lobster appetizer was the worst lobster i have every had in my life. Veal chop was tiny, overcooked tasteless, poached cod was horrible and the rib eye was tasteless and bad quality of meat. will never go again while i'm in Newport. I'm not sure if they changed chef's but they should get the old one back!Special Features:
- chic waterfrontfoodloverDined on 9/6/2014Nicely appointed décor. Great water and sunset views. Not a very extensive menu but most people will find something to their liking. Nice wine list. Food is straight forward well prepared nothing daring here. Service was average. The negatives: pedestrian bread, the BACKGROUND music was too loud and you pay to park your car in front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingknowgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/5/2014This wasn't our first time here and we never considered the food to be great but other things the restaurant had to offer made up for it. The food was very disappointing and although they didn't ask me to pay for my entree the meal was ruined. This is not an inexpensive restaurant and to go have one dish have to go back because it tasted like the fish was bad and have my replacement entree come out when my boyfriend already finished his meal ruined the experience. There wasn't one thing we ate that was anything special. We returned the next night for after dinner drinks and to listen to the music but will wait a while before we go back to eat there.Special Features:
- Totally Worth It!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014The Grill is consistent in the quality of the food and romantic atmosphere. Creative menu. It's a sure thing.Special Features:
- We will probably not return!LightbeingDined on 8/29/2014I called ahead to ensure that we could park our car in the parking lot. When we arrived, on handing over the keys to the vehicle, we were immediately asked to pay $30. We politely refused, saying that we would pay (this ridiculously large amount, which had not been mentioned when calling ahead earlier) on collecting the car later. I ordered a simple salad, and then Grilled Atlantic Salmon. The food is over-priced. And the service sporadic. There was a delay of around 10 minutes bringing the 2 different glasses of wine that my g/friend and myself had ordered. At 41 North, it appears that one pays for the view and the privilege of dining with Newport's so called 'Jet-Set'. But this restaurant would not do well in the South of France!Special Features:
- liseygDined on 8/28/2014Great Euro vibe here with house music and super yachts as a backdrop, good food & serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class diningcaptlewDined on 8/23/2014The seating surrounds the bar and looks out at beautiful Newport Harbor, Goat Island and the sunsets by the Pell Bridge. Add the luxury yachts alongside the deck and the dining environment is spectacular. The menu is upscale so expect pricing to match. That said, the cuisine meets expectations. Plate presentation was very pleasing and well planned. Of the four entrees at our table two were seafood, one was chicken and one was vegetarian. All were well received. Each has been recommended to friends in the area. The setting and menu was perfectly matched by the service and personalities of the staff. The hostesses, wait and bar staff, were gracious and professional while maintaining a pleasantly personable demeanor. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around IncredibleSirfreshVIPDined on 8/22/2014Some of the best food I have ever had. Seating outside is beautiful day or night, but best right at sundown. My experience with the service was wonderful and they where very accommodating and helpful with suggestions. This was an amazing find, and I will definitely be returning every year during my annual trip to Newport. Try the crab cake!Special Features:
- Overboard!chloebuttsVIPDined on 8/10/2014This hotel/restaurant is quite beautiful and very Manhattan but also a bit obnoxious with it's "yachtsman" vibe and lax service. Nice touch to have all of the staff wear all white and sunglasses the whole time they interact with you, that way you will never see how hung over they are or if they bother to make eye contact with you behind those mirrored lenses. the food was overpriced and lack luster. Some garnishes seemed rather unnecessary and unexplained that added nothing to the dish. The view of course is fantastic and the mega yachts are breathtaking for sure, but no need to go back to this restaurant. Too bad.Special Features:
- WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENTOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/10/2014From the moment we arrived for a 10:30 am Breakfast, this was a terrible experience. We had such high hopes because of the beautiful setting and views. We waited every step of the way. Slow service was the norm and nobody even smiled. The staff behaved like we were bothering them. It took 15 minutes for a server to come to the table. And there were only 3 other parties there. There are so many other great choices in Newport...STAY AWAY !!! IT'S NOT WORTH IT. Don't be fooled by the ambiance and setting.
- Birthday Celebration @ 41 NorthNewportGirlDined on 8/9/2014I went to 41 North to celebrate my friend's birthday. Upon arrival, the valet attendant told me there were no parking spots; were only available for 41 North members. He told me of a parking lot nearby, which cost $30.00 to self-park, same as 41 North. I called the resturant informing we would be a bit late. Upon arrival, the hostess desk informed us that the "special" table that I requested was taken, so she took us to the outside deck where there was no light, so we had to wait until a table inside with a view was available. Once seated, it took 45 minutes to get drinks and bread. I complained to the manager; he apologized and made up for the "bad" experience with the resturant with complimentary wine and appetizer, and birthday cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, atmosphere not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was good. Great, actually. My salmon tar tar was melt in your mouth good. The service was quite good as well - waitress was attentive and timely. The atmosphere though was not great for dinner. If we had been there for drinks and dancing - perfect. Loud music, cool lighting. But made it just about impossible to have a conversation during dinner. We were there on a Saturday night at 9pm though, so it may have simply been a function o the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER AGAIN!DisgustedCustomer45Dined on 7/26/2014The way that my party was treated was absolutely disgraceful, the way management handled it was even worse. NEVER AGAIN only this that was pleasant was the view. Service terrible food under cooked. Waiter was terrible. 3 hours after we were seated until our meal came out. 1 hour to have our cocktails arrive. Wine, that should have come out with our meals came out after we were finished. Our waiter was absent the entire time. I never complain to management, but when I did, I got a wink and "ill send over a sweet treat for you"?? Really because I don't want a sweet treat, I wanted an enjoyable dinner, with good service...keep the cheesecake.Special Features:
- Bring Earplugs!BobLVIPDined on 7/23/2014They have a beautiful outside venue on the water where you can view the sunset. The dining area surrounds an impressive bar. Unfortunately the music, which is some sort of techno-chic genre, was so loud we couldn't hear ourselves think. Shortly after being seated, we realized we could not stay. When we told our server, she looked at us like we were strange. Maybe we're too old for this venue (fifties), but it seems to me that the volume level was very appropriate for the bar scene, but not for dining. We will not go back.
- Pretty placeMichelleDined on 7/19/2014The scenery is beautiful. We had 930 pm reservation, there was no lighting. Dining in the dark is not romantic, it's annoying. Service was okay. A lot of staff, and a lot of confusion. Food was good, hard to really say, too dark to identify.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMBowmanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Always top quality. Even when, at full summer capacity, one of my guests had a complicated food allergy requirement, the wait staff (Jillian), floor management (Trang) and the chefs handled it with grace and provided a great dining experience. Best seatiing is in the main dining room by the windows over looking the harbor, sunset and the 41N bar scene below.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentLaylaVIPDined on 7/18/2014Disastrous night in the kitchen. It took 1 hour and 45 min to get our food. I ordered filet medium rare and it came medium well and the waiter argued with me about how it was done. The rest of my party were also unhappy with their food as well. They did comp us for the meal and the next night gave us a bottle of wine and dessert. So good service recovery in the long run but not inclined to return given the poor food. It is really too bad since 2 years ago I had a fantastic meal and was very excited to return.Special Features:
- The most elegant party sceneLuxuryRatVIPDined on 7/18/2014True luxury on the sea. This is a hotel with a vibrant deck party scene. Not your usual beer drinking, topless boat group, but your 90Ft yacht owning, Sancerre wine drinking, couture wearing group, with the latest techno music blaring. The food is excellent, from seafood to steak. The service was professional. If you want a little Beverly Hills in Brooks Brothers Newport, this is the spot. The only problem is the valet parking dining or not it will be $30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricey for their own goodlovetodineoutDined on 7/5/2014It was July 5th so I expected a crowd- which there was - to see fireworks - However when I am paying 40+ for a dinner entrée there should be a way to keep the crowds away from my table and allow me the view. The service was slow- and the steaks were not cooked properly. They redid a steak and adjusted the bill. I would not go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Will never go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014Service was terrible. Waited about 30 minutes just to get our first drinks. They didn't warn us of a wedding that had a live band that was playing right across from us which made it impossible to talk. And they put the kids table in the main dinning room too. The manager was completely inappropriate in her comments to us when she came to check in and in the way she was engaging with the patrons.
- nice ambience; food and service ehhodorDined on 7/3/2014Save your money and eat somewhere else, then get drinks here for the view and ambience. The good is mediocre at best, definitely not worth the money. The service is harried, though our waitress felt bad about how long it took for our food to come out, so she comped a beer.Special Features:
- SLPortDined on 6/30/2014The food was absolutely outstanding, the best we have had in Newport! The outdoor seating and view was spectacular! The service unfortunately was terrible!!!! There was no excuse for the poor service seeing it was a Monday evening and it was not at all busy. The poor service took away from the " fine dining" experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must GoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014Food was awesome and the staff went above and beyond. They accommodated me in every aspect. Great place for a nice harbor-side romantic dinner.Special Features:
- good food in a town that needs iteatoutalotDined on 6/24/2014Great setting...would be perfect if the music wasn't so loud.. They need to decide if they are a bar or restaurant. Finding the hostess location was a challenge. Once we did one hostess was very friendly confused. An other walked around didn't greet or help. waiter called us "guys" g and asked "how are stuff was". We were two people and yet the runner got the location of our plates wrong...she kept asking who got what. The food was good although my veal chop was not pink but rather it was raw. A gentleman was walking around, thought perhaps he was watching the very green staff but he was more interested in cleaning the table of dirty plates. So good food but they need to learn how to operate a restaurant. Expensive and unprofessionalSpecial Features:
- NEVER GOING BACK-WORST SERVICE EVERNYCFANVIPDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had dinner here 2 years ago and had a great experience, went back over the weekend and had a horrific experience, all wrapped extremely poor service. The hostess was in a state of confusion, when she finally sat us it took forever to get a server to come over. Tables were seated after us and had bread immediately, we had to ask. The appetizers came and we had to flag someone down to get fresh pepper. Our entrees arrived, again no one came by to offer pepper. We began to eat and my poached cod was ice cold in the center. I waited for our server to come by to see if we had what we needed when she finally appeared I asked for dinner to be removed from bill as my husband had finished. Much better places in Newport.Special Features:
- TheTallCoupleDined on 6/21/2014A beautiful semi-outdoor dining experience. The waitstaff was incredibly accommodating and also knowledgeable about the wine list. For appetizers we split the cold half lobster and the crab cake. The latter was really delicious. I am not a huge lobster fan, but the lobster was tasty enough. For our entree we split the Wagyu beef, ordered medium, which when I last checked is a nice pink center. It was very well done, and actually crispy on one side, defeating he purpose of selecting a meat that is well marbled. We have nice meals out about twice a month. I would not my return list given the rather high end prices for food that I am not sure deserves the price tag.Special Features:
- Pricey but goodSunsetAlleyDined on 6/19/2014It was a bit stuffy here, but the sunset was beautiful and the food was very good. A bit pricey as well, but the filet mignon made it worth it.Special Features:
- Not worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014I was completely dissapointed by my experience at Forty1 North. We made a reservation for 5oclock for two and were seated at the most undesirable table with no one else in the resteraunt. It took awhile for the waiter to even greet us and very rude and condescending to us. We both ordered their speciality margarita for $15 that was so spicy with jalepeno seeds floating throughout the drink and a brown lime garnish. It was in drinkable but our waiter was no where to be found to send back the drinks. We ordered two starters the king crab legs and a lobster salad. Both were decent but different from their menu description. We decided not to order any other dishes in dear of further dissapointment.Special Features:
- Great view & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014Nearly sitting on a dock, the view is amazing and food was delicious. Service, on the other hand, for the price of restaurant was atrocious. I am hoping the restaurant has new staff for the season, and they are still learning the ropes. Five people ordered drinks, I asked for another minute. When the waitress returned with drinks, I ordered my drink and the waitress' response was, "Do you want that now?" She also spilled a martini on me and looked away. We ordered calamari appetizer (phenomenal), but we did not get appetizer plates. They served two salads (ordered as meals) alone and had not put in the other orders. While the service was chaotic, the view and food made up for the event.Special Features:
- YikesrenewportDined on 6/15/2014I never review restaurants, but I had to say something about our experience here. We were made to pay $20 to park for lunch which was not disclosed to us when I made the reservation, which made me feel very cheated. A cab from my house to the Grill would have been cheaper. We were greeted by a very, very drunk woman who was our server. It was 11 AM and she was wearing high, high heels and a see through shirt. She clearly had not been home from the night before (it was Saturday morning) and she was being so loud and smelled very much of alcohol. It made us so uncomfortable. In addition, we had about 4 different waitresses, so we need knew who to ask for what. Get it together, Grill at 41 North. The food isn't bad and the view is beautifulSpecial Features:
- belladonnaDined on 6/7/2014very quiet and romantic inside dining with a beautiful atmosphere and energetic outside dining with great bars, but expect to pay high pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated our 4th anniversary with a lunch at 41 north and it was phenomenal!! The crab cake was perfect and the scenery was amazing. Right on the water! My boyfriend was drooling over the yachts and I was drooling over the food. I would definitely recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service please!Fitz58VIPDined on 6/2/2014Have been here several times for dinner, and the food and service were impeccable! Had lunch recently, and the food was excellent, but the service awful. Drinks took 20 minutes, our food order came out in spursts ( not everyone was served at the same time) and when we were done dining, we split our check 3 ways ( 3 couples) and it took over 20 minutes for the wait staff to divide $158.00 by 3 ( answer $52.66/ couple). Hesitant to return, which is unfortunate! Maybe it was a bad day??I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!Cal22VIPDined on 5/30/2014Great restaurant! Loved our young charismatic server. Delicious food and a great view. We even got a lovely gift from the chef of salmon tartar and salmon mousse! New favorite restaurant in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XenaDined on 5/26/2014The restaurants aims to be high end and expensive. Brought wrong meals to table (only 3 other parties dining at that time). Had an omelette for brunch and eggs were still raw in the middle. Would never eat here again! Would consider a drink on the patio for the view only.Special Features:
- Desperate to Rank You HighCandGVIPDined on 5/24/2014Why is this place so fantastic and so mediocre on food? On the menu, the items sound great, but here's a few problems: 1. Why is there no talented concoction? 2/ Why is there no spice? (See Castle Hill Menu) 3. Why are there no greens? Brussels sprouts? 4. Please consult me for alternative suggestions.....Special Features:
- The following 293 reviews are from the The Grill at Forty 1 North reviews archive.
- A Sure ThingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014I have eaten at The Grill a few times. It is consistent in the quality of the food and superb service. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and a special guest. The Colorado Rack of Lamb melted in your mouth. It was the ultimate dining experience in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.