The Grill at Forty 1 North
351 Thames Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grill at Forty 1 North
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.41north.com/dining-grill.aspx
- Phone: (401) 846-8018
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am
Lunch: 11:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch on Saturday and Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us @ email@example.com to inquire about availability...
Private Dining menus & spaces are available for a variety of events...
- Private Party Contact: Paul Sauceda 4018468018x
- Entertainment: Summertime live music on Fridays & Saturdays in our Gallery! (DJs & Musicians subject to weather & availability)
- Special Events: For special event inquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Grill at Forty 1 North
The Grill is Forty 1° North’s dockside restaurant that is designed to deliver a fresh, upscale dining and entertainment experience while providing a unique and serene respite from Newport's bustling waterfront scene. A step off the street, yet a world apart. The menu features grilled meats and seafood, raw bar, as well as locally grown in-season vegetables. There is an open-air dining area, individual tables and bar seating surrounding the covered bar pavilion. Inviting dockside lounge seating creates a perfect setting to relax with cocktails or conversation. The Grill at Forty 1° North is open to the public.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Grill at Forty 1 North - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Grill at Forty 1 North reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (47)great for outdoor dining (30)romantic (30)vibrant bar scene (24)special occasion (24)hot spot (22)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (11)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Restaurant week dinnerRiverainsDined on 11/14/2014We are locals who went here for restaurant week. The regular menu is pretty unimaginative but the restaurant week menu was more intriguing. We were a party of 4 but it took 10 minutes for us to realize that the other couple had been seated separately; the restaurant is dark. The view over the harbor here is beautiful- but we know that because we live here-it was night. The decor was "cool" but rather cold, and the room got noisy toward the end. The food was, in general, OK. The carrot soup had a chili oil that had been heavily applied so there wasn't a hint of carrot, just heat and spice. The fried oysters were good. The duck risotto was rather salty, and was just a blob of risotto in a large dish-.no attempt at presentation. The monkfish was competent, but the celery root fries were soggy. Our friends both had the chicken. The apple crisp was good. We ordered two bottles of wine. The first came promptly but they didn't have the second and there was a long delay before the manager appeared with a substitute, so we missed wine during about half of the main course. The server and busman were attentive-too much so. We had the feeling they wanted us to be done,even tho there were tables empty. The meal cost about $65 pp. There are better spots in Newport at this price point.Special Features:
- Restaurant week disasterRIfoodieVIPDined on 11/14/2014Took a guest for restaurant week. Had a drink at the bar, which was delightful. The space is well decorated. Then came dinner. It was a full house, but the dining room really is not that big, so it should hav been manageable. The appetizer salads were not bad. The entrees were terrible. I ordered the chicken and it was probably the driest chicken I have ever had. Was replaced with duck risotto which was boring. One had the impression that the restaurant just wanted to get restaurant week over with and threw together something without any care or attention. Too bad, because when you have an experience like, it is hard to ever trust that a meal will be right.
- Simply WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Great place for dinner. Would come again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014My husband and I made reservations for our anniversary for 7:30. We got there on time and barely even got a drink order until 25 minutes after. the restaurant was not crowded so not sure why it took so long. A nice waiter stopped by a few times asking if anyone had spoken to us and said someone would be right over. He finally took our appetizer order after 8pm and we also requested bread - I am 6 months pregnant and was starving. Food was ok but could have used more seasoning and appetizers came immediately following the bread and food not too soon after so it just felt rushed. The manager came over towards the end to apologize and offer a free dessert but overall really bad experience.Special Features:
- needs management....BADmnmnmnmnDined on 11/8/2014Place is gorgeous. ..food is so so.. (not worth the price) but the service was clueless...From the moment we arrived I felt as though I knew more about this place then the servers /hostess did. Wrong menus, flat soda, tasteless tuna dish , Luke warm cappuccino, simple questions about the menu were left unanswered.... This place could be something really special...It's just not there yet...
- Needs to improve service ...IluvRIDined on 11/7/2014Great out door summer environment but past three visits have been awful service . they don't know what they are doing. Need some one to be charge and organize the place. Need some experienced hospitality staff.Special Features:
- Simply Outstanding!!!mnoormo1VIPDined on 10/30/2014We ordered the filet mignon and the Cowboy Ribeye. Both steaks were cooked to perfection. Kudos to the server for finding another Malbec when the one on the menu was no longer available. The side dishes are a la carte and the looks can be decieving. There was enough for 3 to share. Highly recommend this steakhouse. Its on a par with other big name premium steakhouses.Special Features:
- Amazing!pizzafanDined on 10/26/2014Highly highly recommend this restaurant! We ordered the Filet and Surf & Turf and both were out of this world! Server was spot on and the pastry chef went out of his way for us! Great date place if you go during less busy times! Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- BauerDined on 10/11/2014Great place but pricy-everything a la cart. Food was fine.Special Features:
- The GrillSamosVIPDined on 9/29/2014Enjoyed a fantastic dinner at the Grill. The lobster salad was fresh and tasty. The scallops with pesto drizzle were seared to perfection & their crabcakes were delectable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotEspo123Dined on 9/19/2014Fantastic window seat with a great view. Food was delicious and the service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to sayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014The service was lacking Under staffed and lack of management presence. The food was good but not outstanding for the price. Great venue but that is not enough. Music was loud for fine dining.Special Features:
- Fixer UpperNoreasterVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had dinner on 9/14/14 after the boat show. Great location, views and ambience. Room was loud, hot and uncomfortable. Food was good, when they got it right. Room buzzing with complaints about slow service. Service well intentioned, but disorganized. Lots of room for improvement.
- Stylish, elegant waterfront diningTeddyDined on 9/13/2014Stylish, elegant waterfront dining even in the rain! On arrival there was nobody available to check us in, after several minutes attempting to find a staff member we found a employee to help us, we wanted to be close to the water so we were dispatched downstairs, the manager there placed us in a isolated spot that had zero atmosphere, we insisted on moving to a table where there was more vibrancy and excitment...lesson learnt - don't be brow beaten by the staff! We made the right choice and had a wonderful time. The food was deilicious though a little too much salt had been applied to our tasty fish dishes, we had scollops, swordfish and the giant shrimp. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Beautiful location but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014We couldn't wait to eat at The Grill. Location was perfect. The server was very nice, but busy. The food was not as good as I thought it would be. Too much dressing on the salad, ordered mushroom/onions on the side and pretty much all onions, I couldn't eat it. It was pretty there, but not sure we would go back. It just didn't "hit the spot"...Special Features:
- Dinner was HorribletravelgirlDined on 9/12/2014my husband and I have eaten at this restaraunt several times in the past 2 years. it was always fabulous. expensive but great and worth it. This past friday night it was horrible. Nothing i can say was good about the food. bland, tasteless overcooked, my lobster appetizer was the worst lobster i have every had in my life. Veal chop was tiny, overcooked tasteless, poached cod was horrible and the rib eye was tasteless and bad quality of meat. will never go again while i'm in Newport. I'm not sure if they changed chef's but they should get the old one back!Special Features:
- chic waterfrontfoodloverDined on 9/6/2014Nicely appointed décor. Great water and sunset views. Not a very extensive menu but most people will find something to their liking. Nice wine list. Food is straight forward well prepared nothing daring here. Service was average. The negatives: pedestrian bread, the BACKGROUND music was too loud and you pay to park your car in front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingknowgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/5/2014This wasn't our first time here and we never considered the food to be great but other things the restaurant had to offer made up for it. The food was very disappointing and although they didn't ask me to pay for my entree the meal was ruined. This is not an inexpensive restaurant and to go have one dish have to go back because it tasted like the fish was bad and have my replacement entree come out when my boyfriend already finished his meal ruined the experience. There wasn't one thing we ate that was anything special. We returned the next night for after dinner drinks and to listen to the music but will wait a while before we go back to eat there.Special Features:
- GREAT FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Waiter not very attentive. Food was incredible though. Drinks we great.Special Features:
- Totally Worth It!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014The Grill is consistent in the quality of the food and romantic atmosphere. Creative menu. It's a sure thing.Special Features:
- We will probably not return!LightbeingDined on 8/29/2014I called ahead to ensure that we could park our car in the parking lot. When we arrived, on handing over the keys to the vehicle, we were immediately asked to pay $30. We politely refused, saying that we would pay (this ridiculously large amount, which had not been mentioned when calling ahead earlier) on collecting the car later. I ordered a simple salad, and then Grilled Atlantic Salmon. The food is over-priced. And the service sporadic. There was a delay of around 10 minutes bringing the 2 different glasses of wine that my g/friend and myself had ordered. At 41 North, it appears that one pays for the view and the privilege of dining with Newport's so called 'Jet-Set'. But this restaurant would not do well in the South of France!Special Features:
- liseygDined on 8/28/2014Great Euro vibe here with house music and super yachts as a backdrop, good food & serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class diningcaptlewDined on 8/23/2014The seating surrounds the bar and looks out at beautiful Newport Harbor, Goat Island and the sunsets by the Pell Bridge. Add the luxury yachts alongside the deck and the dining environment is spectacular. The menu is upscale so expect pricing to match. That said, the cuisine meets expectations. Plate presentation was very pleasing and well planned. Of the four entrees at our table two were seafood, one was chicken and one was vegetarian. All were well received. Each has been recommended to friends in the area. The setting and menu was perfectly matched by the service and personalities of the staff. The hostesses, wait and bar staff, were gracious and professional while maintaining a pleasantly personable demeanor. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around IncredibleSirfreshVIPDined on 8/22/2014Some of the best food I have ever had. Seating outside is beautiful day or night, but best right at sundown. My experience with the service was wonderful and they where very accommodating and helpful with suggestions. This was an amazing find, and I will definitely be returning every year during my annual trip to Newport. Try the crab cake!Special Features:
- Overboard!chloebuttsVIPDined on 8/10/2014This hotel/restaurant is quite beautiful and very Manhattan but also a bit obnoxious with it's "yachtsman" vibe and lax service. Nice touch to have all of the staff wear all white and sunglasses the whole time they interact with you, that way you will never see how hung over they are or if they bother to make eye contact with you behind those mirrored lenses. the food was overpriced and lack luster. Some garnishes seemed rather unnecessary and unexplained that added nothing to the dish. The view of course is fantastic and the mega yachts are breathtaking for sure, but no need to go back to this restaurant. Too bad.Special Features:
- WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENTOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/10/2014From the moment we arrived for a 10:30 am Breakfast, this was a terrible experience. We had such high hopes because of the beautiful setting and views. We waited every step of the way. Slow service was the norm and nobody even smiled. The staff behaved like we were bothering them. It took 15 minutes for a server to come to the table. And there were only 3 other parties there. There are so many other great choices in Newport...STAY AWAY !!! IT'S NOT WORTH IT. Don't be fooled by the ambiance and setting.
- Birthday Celebration @ 41 NorthNewportGirlDined on 8/9/2014I went to 41 North to celebrate my friend's birthday. Upon arrival, the valet attendant told me there were no parking spots; were only available for 41 North members. He told me of a parking lot nearby, which cost $30.00 to self-park, same as 41 North. I called the resturant informing we would be a bit late. Upon arrival, the hostess desk informed us that the "special" table that I requested was taken, so she took us to the outside deck where there was no light, so we had to wait until a table inside with a view was available. Once seated, it took 45 minutes to get drinks and bread. I complained to the manager; he apologized and made up for the "bad" experience with the resturant with complimentary wine and appetizer, and birthday cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 318 reviews are from the The Grill at Forty 1 North reviews archive.
- Good food, atmosphere not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was good. Great, actually. My salmon tar tar was melt in your mouth good. The service was quite good as well - waitress was attentive and timely. The atmosphere though was not great for dinner. If we had been there for drinks and dancing - perfect. Loud music, cool lighting. But made it just about impossible to have a conversation during dinner. We were there on a Saturday night at 9pm though, so it may have simply been a function o the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER AGAIN!DisgustedCustomer45Dined on 7/26/2014The way that my party was treated was absolutely disgraceful, the way management handled it was even worse. NEVER AGAIN only this that was pleasant was the view. Service terrible food under cooked. Waiter was terrible. 3 hours after we were seated until our meal came out. 1 hour to have our cocktails arrive. Wine, that should have come out with our meals came out after we were finished. Our waiter was absent the entire time. I never complain to management, but when I did, I got a wink and "ill send over a sweet treat for you"?? Really because I don't want a sweet treat, I wanted an enjoyable dinner, with good service...keep the cheesecake.Special Features:
- Bring Earplugs!BobLVIPDined on 7/23/2014They have a beautiful outside venue on the water where you can view the sunset. The dining area surrounds an impressive bar. Unfortunately the music, which is some sort of techno-chic genre, was so loud we couldn't hear ourselves think. Shortly after being seated, we realized we could not stay. When we told our server, she looked at us like we were strange. Maybe we're too old for this venue (fifties), but it seems to me that the volume level was very appropriate for the bar scene, but not for dining. We will not go back.
- Pretty placeMichelleDined on 7/19/2014The scenery is beautiful. We had 930 pm reservation, there was no lighting. Dining in the dark is not romantic, it's annoying. Service was okay. A lot of staff, and a lot of confusion. Food was good, hard to really say, too dark to identify.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMBowmanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Always top quality. Even when, at full summer capacity, one of my guests had a complicated food allergy requirement, the wait staff (Jillian), floor management (Trang) and the chefs handled it with grace and provided a great dining experience. Best seatiing is in the main dining room by the windows over looking the harbor, sunset and the 41N bar scene below.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentLaylaVIPDined on 7/18/2014Disastrous night in the kitchen. It took 1 hour and 45 min to get our food. I ordered filet medium rare and it came medium well and the waiter argued with me about how it was done. The rest of my party were also unhappy with their food as well. They did comp us for the meal and the next night gave us a bottle of wine and dessert. So good service recovery in the long run but not inclined to return given the poor food. It is really too bad since 2 years ago I had a fantastic meal and was very excited to return.Special Features:
- The most elegant party sceneLuxuryRatVIPDined on 7/18/2014True luxury on the sea. This is a hotel with a vibrant deck party scene. Not your usual beer drinking, topless boat group, but your 90Ft yacht owning, Sancerre wine drinking, couture wearing group, with the latest techno music blaring. The food is excellent, from seafood to steak. The service was professional. If you want a little Beverly Hills in Brooks Brothers Newport, this is the spot. The only problem is the valet parking dining or not it will be $30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricey for their own goodlovetodineoutDined on 7/5/2014It was July 5th so I expected a crowd- which there was - to see fireworks - However when I am paying 40+ for a dinner entrée there should be a way to keep the crowds away from my table and allow me the view. The service was slow- and the steaks were not cooked properly. They redid a steak and adjusted the bill. I would not go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Will never go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014Service was terrible. Waited about 30 minutes just to get our first drinks. They didn't warn us of a wedding that had a live band that was playing right across from us which made it impossible to talk. And they put the kids table in the main dinning room too. The manager was completely inappropriate in her comments to us when she came to check in and in the way she was engaging with the patrons.
- nice ambience; food and service ehhodorDined on 7/3/2014Save your money and eat somewhere else, then get drinks here for the view and ambience. The good is mediocre at best, definitely not worth the money. The service is harried, though our waitress felt bad about how long it took for our food to come out, so she comped a beer.Special Features:
- SLPortDined on 6/30/2014The food was absolutely outstanding, the best we have had in Newport! The outdoor seating and view was spectacular! The service unfortunately was terrible!!!! There was no excuse for the poor service seeing it was a Monday evening and it was not at all busy. The poor service took away from the " fine dining" experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must GoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014Food was awesome and the staff went above and beyond. They accommodated me in every aspect. Great place for a nice harbor-side romantic dinner.Special Features:
- good food in a town that needs iteatoutalotDined on 6/24/2014Great setting...would be perfect if the music wasn't so loud.. They need to decide if they are a bar or restaurant. Finding the hostess location was a challenge. Once we did one hostess was very friendly confused. An other walked around didn't greet or help. waiter called us "guys" g and asked "how are stuff was". We were two people and yet the runner got the location of our plates wrong...she kept asking who got what. The food was good although my veal chop was not pink but rather it was raw. A gentleman was walking around, thought perhaps he was watching the very green staff but he was more interested in cleaning the table of dirty plates. So good food but they need to learn how to operate a restaurant. Expensive and unprofessionalSpecial Features: