The Grey Plume
220 South 31st Avenue
Omaha, NE 68131Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grey Plume
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thegreyplume.com/
- Phone: 4027634447x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner from Monday through Saturday, 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Clayton Chapman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The grey Plume offers catering for your private in-home or business functions. Please contact us or visit our website for more details.
A word from The Grey Plume
As a new restaurant to Omaha, The Grey Plume focuses on seasonality and sustainability. We change our menu often, basing our cuisine on local farmer's supply. When possible we preserve produce from Nebraska and the region at harvest for the winter months. The Grey Plume works in partnership with The Green Restaurant Association and is the first and only Certified Green Restaurant in Nebraska. Enjoy the comfortably elegant dining atmosphere for dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Grey Plume - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
The Grey Plume reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)fit for foodies (111)romantic (88)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (49)hot spot (20)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Truly spectacularTomSwiftDined on 10/20/2014Still our favorite restaurant anywhere. The interplay of flavors is always astonishingly wonderful.Special Features:
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014We went here for a birthday celebration and it was the most memorable meal we've had in recent recollection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experience...roadsavvyDined on 10/18/2014We went here on a recommendation. It was great to experience a "green" restaurant. The service was exceptional. The food, sauces, and accouterments were very good just a little too novel for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Food and presentation were great as usual. Everything was prepared just to order and cooked perfectly. The Grey Plume was amazingly accommodating with our reservation considering its an Omaha hot spot. Service was a little lack luster on this dining occasion. Blond haired guy was smug, inattentive, and seemed like he was trying to rush us. The last time eating there our server, Rachael I believe, was awesome. It must have just been an off night for him because everyone else seemed cordial and quite nice.Special Features:
- Kudos & KongratswhynowVIPDined on 10/17/2014Once again the Plume prevails--excellent salmon(she has it everywhere she dines and this was the best!) and superb duck. Only thought for consideration--a charcuterie for 1+--the 2-3 offering is so extensive, intense and rich(very delectable) and filling for two, who are somewhat older, that the entree may get overshadowed. We could share the 1+ version and maybe have room for dessert and coffee??!! Also, any thoughts to mentioning or highlighting those items on the menu that are available at Provisions--i.e. butter, mustard, coffee, etc. This may overburden some of the dialogue between the "tour guides" giving us the gastronomic highlights and the diners, but many would welcome. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical dining experienceCLewisDined on 10/15/2014I dined here while in Omaha on a business trip and ate at the bar. The wonder of my seating location was that I got to watch the amazing chefs in the kitchen. My waiter and barkeep was informative, generous, and made me feel like I was not dining alone. I had a green salad and elk sirloin, the latter of which they had just gotten in the day before. My waiter recommended a good wine and the experience was magical. I understand this was the first green designated restaurant in the country. My evening at Grey Plume was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPeteDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food and fantastic service. The menu items were very well thought out and everything was prepared perfectly. The waitstaff was very helpful.Special Features:
- A fave of ours!lovinItalianDined on 10/9/2014Our 3rd time, brought new people last 2 who also impressed. Duck fat fries our fave. Is there a way for but more light in evening to see menu?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I enjoyed The Grey Plume very much. We were there quite late as we were having dinner after a show. As a result it was very quiet. The service was fantastic. Attentive and timely. The food was amazing except for our dessert. I am not a sweets guy but I love Crème Brule. We ordered it here and it was good but overly executed. Too much going on for a dessert that is wonderful in its simplicity. I highly recommend The Grey Plume and we will go back for sure.Special Features:
- Overall ExcellenceBBKBDined on 9/27/2014The team table waiting was ultimately annoying. Each service question was asked at least twice. "More bread?" "Maybe in a minute". Then the next waiter would remove our bread plates. "Another cocktail?" "No thanks, we'll have some wine with dinner." "Another cocktail?" "Another cocktail?" That said, the food was very good. The duck fat fries exceptional, especially the aioli underneath. The sweet vegetable ice creams were enlightening, curious and delicious. The presentations were on the precious side but each element was prepared perfectly. I wish we'd had time to visit the Provisioning Store to take some of their unique offerings home with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsjoekDined on 9/26/2014First and foremost we will definitely go back again. The quality of the food at TGP was exceptional. The Charcuterie Board was excellent. Some of the entree flavoring was out of balance. The trout was perfectly prepared, a touch too salty, matched well w/ spaetzel and carrot puree but the pickled ramps overpowered the rest. The pork had the same essential fault. The meat and veggies were wonderful in quality and execution but the vinegary mustardy sauce overpowered them. The Earl Grey Pots de Creme was perfectly balanced but the crust was a bit chewy. it is obvious that TGP has the definite potential of pleasing our palettes. Oh and they should add tea lights to the tables because its a bit dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatmeredithclaireDined on 9/23/2014Overall, we had a really great experience. The only thing that I would suggest would be to get some high chairs or booster seats. I'm not sure about how many children come to the Grey Plume, but it would be nice to have that available just in case customers come in with children. Other than that, great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome experiencetjm1954Dined on 9/22/2014food was excellent. service great. nice touch having chef come out, deliver, and explain entrée. recommend without reservations.Special Features:
- Omaha Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Had a great experience. Wonderful food and service. Couldn't have asked for more. Omaha restaurant week selections with wine pairings was a great way to try out this gem.Special Features:
- AnniversaryDavidVIPDined on 9/19/2014Enjoyed a relaxing anniversary dinner, great service, good food, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Favorite Place in OmahaallaroundfoodieDined on 9/18/2014Every bite was spectacular and every time I have been here it has been consistently so. Service was knowledgeable and prompt. I love the way The Grey Plume makes seasonal sustainable cooking an art and educates their customers on what all goes into each dish. Food lover's heaven.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/18/2014Such a treat! We choose the prix fixe, and it was a bargain. You must try the Duck Fat Fries! Portions are generous, too. Don't pass on this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try this placedrdana16Dined on 9/16/2014The Grey Plume is bright, open and filled with Nebraska art. They are in the top 5 greenest and most sustainable restaurants in the US and everything about the place is fantastic. The food was bright, flavorful, and well put together. Everything I ate was amazing and I very much look forward to coming back. Be sure to stop by Provisions across the street. You can buy their homemade butter, roasted coffee (which is excellent), and dishware. I can't wait to return!Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014our first visit was during restaurant week & therefore there was a specialty menu. We chose off that menu as it was a fund raiser. It was excellent as was our server. It seemed it took awhile to get the drinks out to us but I suspect that was a management issue. The bartender looked to have his hands full. Other than that It was a superb meal & evening. The chef was very accommodating to a special request as well & tis was much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still hungryHungryDined on 9/13/2014Three courses and $120 later I walked out still hungry. You get a huge plate with a little portion of food. Beef was tough also so that was disappointing. I'd rather go to a steakhouse for half the cash and leave stuffed. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Omaha RestaurantAdRam26VIPDined on 9/12/2014This was the first time my girlfriend and I had dined at The Grey Plume. It was nothing short of what others had told us it would be like. The menu for Omaha Restaurant Week was incredible, the service was fantastic and we enjoyed the entire dining experience. It will certainly be a restaurant we come back to.Special Features:
- Always outstanding...KkwhitDined on 9/12/2014The food and service at this restaurant is always top notch. It's a little pricey for regular dining but great option for special occasion or when you have guests from out of town.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Every bite of everything was over the top. Amazing food as usual.Special Features:
- Our 1st visit, it was a delight!!LovinYourFoodDined on 9/12/2014Everything we had was excellent, with the service to match! Out waiter took his time to explain everything and offer suggestions. Very attentative with wonderful customer service! An anniversary card waiting for us at our table and cookies handed to us as we were leaving added an extra special touch, one we won't forget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceOttoDined on 9/6/2014Fantastic food, menu choices, wait staff, cocktails. An outstanding experience. Dining at the Grey Plume makes you feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!KarmaPDined on 9/5/2014Best meal I've EVER had! Mind blowing food and outstanding service!Special Features:
- The Grey PlumefeedmeDined on 9/3/2014The quality of food was second to none. Quantity of food left a little something to be desired. Excellent array of different tastes...my pork diah was a 10/10! Nice atmosphere too. We will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glorious Birthday OccasionbebackagainDined on 8/30/2014We celebrated two birthdays with outstanding surroundings and even better food and service. Our table is still talking about it days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014The Grey Plume is my favorite restaurant. I love their food, their mission, their ambiance, their plating, etc. I usually give it perfect scores across the board. On this particular visit, I felt the service was somewhat lacking. We didn't receive beverage menus, and the wait staff was just a bit haphazard. The service is usually excellent, so I'm not sure what was going on on this night. However, the food did not disappoint, and I have never had a bad bite here.Special Features:
- Excellent ServicekastlerDined on 8/27/2014My Husband and I went here for our third anniversary and it was such a wonderful atmosphere and a great place to go for a quiet atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotlovefoodDined on 8/22/2014I highly recommend the Grey Plume. I had the rabbit and it was outstanding. My date had the trout which was also great.Special Features:
- Something SpecialJF1EdgeDined on 8/22/2014The Grey Plume is everything I read about and more than that. The service is attentive but not overbearing, very well-informed and extremely polite. This was impressive especially considering how young our server was. He was great. The burger, which we both had, needs to be experienced. The beef is special but so is every other part that goes into that dish. Another win was the Charcuterie plate, which had many hits for us, especially the Bison sausage and salamis. Go soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie paradiseTooTallSidVIPDined on 8/19/2014I had the trout. I could go into how much I liked it, how unusual it was, etc. But let me just say that from start to finish, the food is innovative and so tasty. There is simply nothing like it in Omaha. The Grey Plume would compare with the best restaurants I've enjoyed in the world. The restaurant is a very nice size, with subtle, tasteful appointments, including a new piece of art, a giant, flowing map of Nebraska with push pins and little grey plumes at the locations of all their local suppliers. Localism as art! If you think of dining as a sensual, kinetic art experience, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- Grey Plume AmazingsagedinerDined on 8/16/2014We were in Omaha last weekend and dined at the Grey Plume. I love their concept of farm to table and their use of fresh ingredients in season. I am really not a foodie so I can't speak to the intestacies of preparation, but the food was beautifully presented and prepared in imaginative and delicious ways. The presentation and some of the combinations would probably be considered trendy so if you are looking for steak and potatoes, this is not your place. I should mention the desserts. Wonderful! There were some tried and true old favourites like crème brule, but also a trio of imaginative summer sorbets in unexpected flavours among others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProfessorLeeDined on 8/15/2014The Grey Plume is one of my favorite restaurants in the Midwest. The casual atmosphere is great, parking is simple, and the food is extraordinary. Chef Chapman is truly a genius, working with the best local ingredients and serving the kind of seriously great food you might expect to find in a three-star restaurant in New York (or Paris, for that matter) at a tiny fraction of the cost, and without any pretense or intimidation. Instead of working in someone else's great restaurant, he just decided to make his own three-star-worthy establishment, in Omaha, of all places. And in my view he has succeeded. Now if only the Michelin folks would stop in...Special Features:
- Birthday presentcartunmanDined on 8/15/2014My wife had been wanting to go to the Gray Plume for her birthday for many years. I finally got everything in place and made the reservation for right on her birthday. I must say, the anticipation of the event and the place did not disappoint. The attention to detail in the service and the food were second to none. Everything about the evening made it an event. Thank you to the Gray Plume for making her birthday a wonderful time and experience, right down to the birthday card from the staff. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKing537Dined on 8/14/2014Took my wife for our 21st Wedding Anniversary and it was a wonderful experience. Food, Wine, Service! Everything was very detailed and with purpose! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionsDiningBluejayDined on 8/14/2014The Grey Plume welcomed us with an anniversary card and provided excellent service throughout the evening. The food was delicious and the setting was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Californian was ImpressedMrsGovVIPDined on 8/14/2014My Mom and I were in Omaha for a family wedding on a girl's weekend and had heard about The Grey Plume in a food magazine and by local friends and word of mouth! We were NOT disappointed! Every bite was luscious and full of flavor from amuse bouche to dessert! We had the trout small bite that came with cucumber and cantaloupe and it was incredible. We are delicate eaters so we shared the chicken roulade that came with cauliflower, wax beans, shiitake, and sweet corn! Our dessert was a chocolate pot de creme with an orange "powder", short bread crumble, and cocoa nib ice cream...fabulous! All dishes came with lovely sauces that graced the dish under the dish! This place is really top notch. Wish it was in my neighborhood!Special Features:
- My second visitOnshohntayDined on 8/13/2014My first experience at the Grey Plume was excellent, but pricey. On this visit, they were serving two large groups which made the small dining area too loud for my taste. However, the staff delivered excellent service inspite of how busy they were and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.