The Grey Plume
220 South 31st Avenue
Omaha, NE 68131Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Grey Plume
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thegreyplume.com/
- Phone: 4027634447x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner from Monday through Saturday, 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Clayton Chapman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The grey Plume offers catering for your private in-home or business functions. Please contact us or visit our website for more details.
A word from The Grey Plume
As a new restaurant to Omaha, The Grey Plume focuses on seasonality and sustainability. We change our menu often, basing our cuisine on local farmer's supply. When possible we preserve produce from Nebraska and the region at harvest for the winter months. The Grey Plume works in partnership with The Green Restaurant Association and is the first and only Certified Green Restaurant in Nebraska. Enjoy the comfortably elegant dining atmosphere for dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Grey Plume - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
The Grey Plume reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (125)fit for foodies (113)romantic (92)notable wine list (63)neighborhood gem (57)hot spot (22)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Glorious Birthday OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014We celebrated two birthdays with outstanding surroundings and even better food and service. Our table is still talking about it days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014The Grey Plume is my favorite restaurant. I love their food, their mission, their ambiance, their plating, etc. I usually give it perfect scores across the board. On this particular visit, I felt the service was somewhat lacking. We didn't receive beverage menus, and the wait staff was just a bit haphazard. The service is usually excellent, so I'm not sure what was going on on this night. However, the food did not disappoint, and I have never had a bad bite here.Special Features:
- Excellent ServicekastlerDined on 8/27/2014My Husband and I went here for our third anniversary and it was such a wonderful atmosphere and a great place to go for a quiet atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotlovefoodDined on 8/22/2014I highly recommend the Grey Plume. I had the rabbit and it was outstanding. My date had the trout which was also great.Special Features:
- Something SpecialJF1EdgeDined on 8/22/2014The Grey Plume is everything I read about and more than that. The service is attentive but not overbearing, very well-informed and extremely polite. This was impressive especially considering how young our server was. He was great. The burger, which we both had, needs to be experienced. The beef is special but so is every other part that goes into that dish. Another win was the Charcuterie plate, which had many hits for us, especially the Bison sausage and salamis. Go soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie paradiseTooTallSidVIPDined on 8/19/2014I had the trout. I could go into how much I liked it, how unusual it was, etc. But let me just say that from start to finish, the food is innovative and so tasty. There is simply nothing like it in Omaha. The Grey Plume would compare with the best restaurants I've enjoyed in the world. The restaurant is a very nice size, with subtle, tasteful appointments, including a new piece of art, a giant, flowing map of Nebraska with push pins and little grey plumes at the locations of all their local suppliers. Localism as art! If you think of dining as a sensual, kinetic art experience, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- Grey Plume AmazingsagedinerDined on 8/16/2014We were in Omaha last weekend and dined at the Grey Plume. I love their concept of farm to table and their use of fresh ingredients in season. I am really not a foodie so I can't speak to the intestacies of preparation, but the food was beautifully presented and prepared in imaginative and delicious ways. The presentation and some of the combinations would probably be considered trendy so if you are looking for steak and potatoes, this is not your place. I should mention the desserts. Wonderful! There were some tried and true old favourites like crème brule, but also a trio of imaginative summer sorbets in unexpected flavours among others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProfessorLeeDined on 8/15/2014The Grey Plume is one of my favorite restaurants in the Midwest. The casual atmosphere is great, parking is simple, and the food is extraordinary. Chef Chapman is truly a genius, working with the best local ingredients and serving the kind of seriously great food you might expect to find in a three-star restaurant in New York (or Paris, for that matter) at a tiny fraction of the cost, and without any pretense or intimidation. Instead of working in someone else's great restaurant, he just decided to make his own three-star-worthy establishment, in Omaha, of all places. And in my view he has succeeded. Now if only the Michelin folks would stop in...Special Features:
- Birthday presentcartunmanDined on 8/15/2014My wife had been wanting to go to the Gray Plume for her birthday for many years. I finally got everything in place and made the reservation for right on her birthday. I must say, the anticipation of the event and the place did not disappoint. The attention to detail in the service and the food were second to none. Everything about the evening made it an event. Thank you to the Gray Plume for making her birthday a wonderful time and experience, right down to the birthday card from the staff. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKing537Dined on 8/14/2014Took my wife for our 21st Wedding Anniversary and it was a wonderful experience. Food, Wine, Service! Everything was very detailed and with purpose! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionsDiningBluejayDined on 8/14/2014The Grey Plume welcomed us with an anniversary card and provided excellent service throughout the evening. The food was delicious and the setting was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Californian was ImpressedMrsGovVIPDined on 8/14/2014My Mom and I were in Omaha for a family wedding on a girl's weekend and had heard about The Grey Plume in a food magazine and by local friends and word of mouth! We were NOT disappointed! Every bite was luscious and full of flavor from amuse bouche to dessert! We had the trout small bite that came with cucumber and cantaloupe and it was incredible. We are delicate eaters so we shared the chicken roulade that came with cauliflower, wax beans, shiitake, and sweet corn! Our dessert was a chocolate pot de creme with an orange "powder", short bread crumble, and cocoa nib ice cream...fabulous! All dishes came with lovely sauces that graced the dish under the dish! This place is really top notch. Wish it was in my neighborhood!Special Features:
- My second visitOnshohntayDined on 8/13/2014My first experience at the Grey Plume was excellent, but pricey. On this visit, they were serving two large groups which made the small dining area too loud for my taste. However, the staff delivered excellent service inspite of how busy they were and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Feather in the Cap of OmahaKILLERDined on 8/8/2014The Grey Plume is a memorable dining experience. It's obvious the entire team takes ownership and pride in making The Grey Plume unlike any other restaurant in Omaha. Creativity abounds in the kitchen, and the food delights. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omaha's finestCommissionerGDined on 8/7/2014This was my first visit to Omaha and dining at The Grey Plume was definitely a highlight. The local paper had selected the restaurant as having the best entree in Omaha and the locals said that the restaurant was one of the best in the city, if not THE best. The Grey Plume lived up to the review and recommendation. I came to find out after dining there that The Grey Plume is where Warren Buffet dines so you can eat like a billionaire but not have to spend like one. It's not inexpensive, but as premier restaurants go, it is certainly within the range of reasonable. To describe The Grey Plume in three words: exceptional, exquisite, and eclectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- willgobackDined on 8/7/2014Excellent all around! Food, Service, and Ambience.Special Features:
- Tasty but a tad saltyDisappearingSpoonDined on 8/6/2014The grey plume is a small but elegant restaurant that has a wine list that features well-chosen, affordable bottles. All of the dishes we had were quite tasty, but they were also salted with an overly heavy hand. This was the only distraction to an otherwise very enjoyable dinner. The service was very good to excellent. The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive, a combination that is as rare as it is appreciated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceDinnerMomDined on 8/1/2014I took my daughter to the Gray Plume for her birthday. I reserved early and put in the comments that it was my daughter's birthday. When we arrived, my daughter was looking at her menu when she said, "Hey, my name is on the menu and it says Happy Birthday, Cassie!" She was so thrilled. It is special touches like this that make the Gray Plume and even better experience for your special occasions. The food is outstanding. The first bite concept is fantastic--except that you always want 20 more after the first because they are so good! The chef is amazing. He is right there with the guests either meeting at your table, greeting you when you arrive, or thanking you when you leave. It's an absolutely fantasic experience every time we goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OmahadinerDined on 7/31/2014The most inventive, creative food I have ever had. The duck fries were to die for, as was the cold zucchini soup. I'm a great fan of creme brûlée and it was perfect. We each left with complimentary sugar cookies and they were a great reminder of our spectacular meal when we ate them the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Word. Fabulous.LocalFoodieDined on 7/28/2014I would describe myself as a foodie. We have two small children, so getting out and enjoying restaurants like The Grey Plume does not happen as frequently anymore. We came toThe Grey Plume to celebrate our anniversary. It did not disappoint. The service, the meal, the ambiance were all top notch. The meal - honestly, loved, loved, loved the Duck Fat Fries and both my husband and I thought our entrees were delicious. Quite fabulous, indeed! The Grey Plume is now on my list of favorites restaurants in Omaha! And really there is so much more to love about it, local food, organic, I loved all the Nebraska themes running through the very elegant and tastefully decorated restaurant. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MegJAdams419Dined on 7/26/2014I just can't wait to go back! From the first bite to dessert everything was outstanding! The chef/owner really knows how to treat his guests and makes you feel like your just not another customer. Even at the end of dinner he gives you a pastry to eat for the next morning, how sweet?! Great place, the food and service was way better than I could have imagined.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!!ithink2020Dined on 7/26/2014Went there for my 35th birthday dinner. Everything was excellent. The food, the service, everything! If you have not tried this restaurant, you are missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Words Cannot Describe!OmahaFoodieGirlDined on 7/22/2014I've eaten at a few "fancy" restaurants in my day, but this one tops them all!!! The food was excellent, and that's an understatement! I love the whole farm to table concept Clayton has and his palate is beyond compare. I highly, highly, highly recommend this restaurant!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Quite simply, my meal was one of the best tasting, best served and best presented that I have ever had. I expected "very good," everything was superb!Special Features:
- Food great service needs to step upOmahaDinnerDined on 7/18/2014We had a great meal and the servers were very nice, but they need to step up their game with the reputation that this restaurant has.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014Always top notch! We take our out of town guests to show off Omaha fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!VIPOTVIPDined on 7/11/2014My husband had the new duck dish as his entrée and I had the salmon. All fantastic! Save room for dessert! We shared the rhubarb ice cream dish. Unbelievable. Kyle was our server and never missed a beat! Love this place. Worth the price.Special Features:
- awesome dining experience4boyparentsDined on 7/10/2014My wife and I are from out of town. We were looking for a quiet evening out. The food and service were amazing. We highly recommend The Grey Plume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omaha has many suprisesFoodiegirlDined on 7/10/2014The trout was prepared and presented perfectly. The salad seemed to be a montage of anything from the kitchen. There was so much going on in the salad it was hard to get a consistent bite. I prefer to have the fresh ingredients showcased, and not be hidden. The server was knowledgeable about wine parings, and was spot on. When leaving I was given a small bag with cookies to have with my breakfast, nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious TreatPRloves2eatDined on 7/7/2014My wife and I visited for the first time for our anniversary this year. The waitress was very friendly yet professional. The food was superb. Great for a fancy, fun evening.Special Features:
- fantasticjxcxDined on 7/7/2014wow. the trout/spaetzle dish was out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014We chose the Grey Plume for our 25th. It couldn't have been more pleasant. The food was outstanding. The whole experience was amazing. A special touch was a card left at our table congratulating us on our anniversary signed by all the staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeChampagnetasteDined on 7/5/2014Service and ambiance were excellent as in the past. I did not think my pedimontese beef ($35) was cooked appropriately. I asked for medium and it was burn. Only one piece had some red. The rest was well done. When I mentioned it to the waiter he said that it's a difficult piece of meat so the chef has a hard time cooking it precisely. Why do they offer it then? I basically chewed on expensive cardboard but the veggies were delicious as well my first plate beef tartare) and dessert (Cyrene brûlée). It was an utter disappointment.Special Features:
- SGADFDADined on 7/5/2014Good place. I had the hamburger; the burger was dry but the other ingredients (especially the homemade sauce-aveoli) was really really good. I would recommend eating here.Special Features:
- Left HungryLeviDined on 7/5/2014The food was good. The portions very small Excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014It was a lovely way to celebrate a birthday. Food and service was impeccable, but yet everyone was approachable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for large groups couplesexplorerDined on 6/30/2014We entertained a business group of 30+ people at Grey Plume, and our out-of-town visitors were very impressed by the quality of the food and creativity of the presentation. The price was competitive with other restaurants for a group this size. Other times, we have had dinner there or have sat at the bar for "Happy Hour", and it has always been delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Midtown Omaha is very fortunate to be able to enjoy Clayton's culinary talents. If it was even possible, the creativity and quality of the food has gotten even better over the years.Special Features:
- Expect brilliant culinary artistryStonesThoreauDined on 6/28/2014The place haunted me over the 2 years since I was last here. I was able to replicate and add to the experience - the trout w/ creme fraise spetzel was perfect. Pork prepared 4 ways was a marvel. The wait staff are always impeccable, the kitchen crew are capable of pulling off top shelf culinary art with a "no sweat" attitude. The Grey Plume has international recognition for really good reason. They could be all stuffy about their accolades - but to top it off with being culturally accessible makes it all the more impressive. Thanks Chef Clayton Chapman for you imagination when it comes to supporting local producers, and for supporting the community with your culinary generosity! May you remain on top for years and years!Special Features:
- Always a great meal!WineIsFoodDined on 6/23/2014Chef Chapman and his crew can always be relied upon to deliver tasty, interesting food to satisfy any diner. They are happy to accommodate any dietary concerns or tailor any dish as needed. The staff is attentive without being intrusive, and Chef tries to get out to greet diners often. This is an outstanding choice for special occasions, but it is also a great option for an evening out any time. Try the bar menu, there are fun options to complement your wine or cocktail while seated up front! If you have not been to Grey Plume yet, you are missing out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.