The Greenhouse Tavern
2038 E 4th Street
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Greenhouse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegreenhousetavern.com/
- Phone: 2164430511x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jonathon Sawyer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering is available upon request. Please email email@example.com in regards to your event.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate groups of 15 to 40 in our private areas. The entire restaurant is available for events with 130 or more guests. Off site catering also available. We understand each event is different so we will help customize to your specific needs.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Sawyer 2164430511
- Cross Street: Euclid & Prospect
- Public Transit: Short walk from both Terminal Tower and Public Square - RTA and Trolly lines (http://www.riderta.com/).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available on East 4th at the cost of $8 per vehicle. Valet operated by MVP Parking. Prices may vary. Network Parking also operates many parking lots in the area.
A word from The Greenhouse Tavern
Chef Jonathon Sawyer's sustainably inspired flagship restaurant located in the heart of downtown Cleveland.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Greenhouse Tavern - Best Restaurants in Downtown Cleveland ›
The Greenhouse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)neighborhood gem (86)great for outdoor dining (84)hot spot (82)special occasion (69)vibrant bar scene (52)good for groups (50)late-night find (38)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (28)romantic (27)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Greenhouse is a foodie Nirvana!primerib1Dined on 8/29/2014This was my second visit, and as good as the first! The food, the staff are all great. The pigs head is a mini hog roast at your table! Props to Chef JS and his great team! I only wish this restaurant was in Indianapolis, then it would be only a 20 min drive, not 4.5 hrs. , but with many great things the extra effort is worth the reward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceLuvgoingouttodinnerDined on 8/29/2014We had friends in from Boston this weekend and wanted to take them out and decided on Greenhouse Tavern. I was so embarrassed at the poor service. Our waiter's name was Julius. We waited 30 minutes for our drinks. And in total, an hour and a half from when we were seated, for our dinners to arrive. Other tables were seated after us and left before us. My husband got the strip steak and specifically told Julius that he was allergic to dairy, yet they proceeded to put his steak on top of mashed potatoes. Julius could of done a much better job attending to us and keeping us informed if there was an unusual delay in service (however, from some of the previous comments here, it seems to be a problem now). I would not recommend to eat hereSpecial Features:
- Not so special anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014Portions smaller. Prices higher. Hostess crabby. Not a memorable experience anymore. Will try 1 more time - maybe an off night. Step it up. Too many other choices on e 4th.
- Monday EveningGinnyDined on 8/25/2014Monday is an "off" night in the restaurant industry, so that's when I like to go to the ones that are open. Friends recommended the Greenhouse Tavern. In honesty, I found the menu a little pretentious. BUT you can call them pomme frites if they are as good as the french fries that came with my lamb burger. I didn't look at the wine list, because my companion was going for beer. I just got a Malbec by the glass, but it was a generous pour, and very good! If the place had been packed, it probably would have been noisy, but it was about half full, and it was very pleasant. The burgers and salad were good, and prepared properly. Our server was great. She rolled with our humor and was able to answer menu questions.Special Features:
- Top 5 all-time favoritepezalloDined on 8/23/2014I've been here twice, and the food is unbelievable! The flavors and presentation are what you'd expect from a top chef! The wings are my personal favorite - all the meat slides off the bone and the spice is perfect. The atmosphere is hip and cool, not pretensious. Worth every penny. And if you buy the kitchen a round (it's just $10), they'll make quite the spectical of appreciation! And trust me, you'll want to buy the kitchen a round after this meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we expectedJustmeDined on 8/22/2014A fabulous restaurant needs quality, educated servers. Our service was terrible -- 45 minutes for dessert to arrive!! And then it was dried out and burned! And the server could not answer questions. Nor did she do the bill correctly -- charging an up charge for something without telling us in advance. NOT a good experience. And the rest of the food?? Meh.
- Greenhouse Tavern pleasesSaintEllenDined on 8/22/2014Took out-of-town, & difficult-to-please visitor to Greenhouse Tavern. She loved every bite of every complex & unusual dish. The waitress was terrific, patiently answering many questions, offering suggestions and options. We were able to sit outdoors which enhanced the experience, as 4th St. was bustling.Special Features:
- WORTH A REPEAT VISITDonnaDined on 8/22/2014The Greenhouse Tavern serves up beautiful and delicious dishes in a casual but upscale setting. A must have -- Crispy Confit Chicken Wings. OMG, these were the best wings we've ever had! Not your typical wing, they fall off the bone and melt in your mouth, with a taste that I can't describe. We had one as a dinner appetizer and went back the next night after the game for two more orders. I would drive 500 miles to Cleveland for these wings, seriously! The entrees were also wonderful. Can't wait to go back on my next visit!Special Features:
- Don't go with someone you want to tUnlikelyDined on 8/21/2014Don't go with someone you want to talk to The noise level is inappropriate for a restaurant with such good food and service. Waitstaff and people at tables around us were yelling to be heard. Around 9pm the bass on the sound system was turned up so high a wineglass on our table toppled. Very unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burger & chips, bad service.NMR7Dined on 8/21/2014We were seated in the window without menus. We had to ask. Then our server was slow to appear and then absent. Someone else dropped off our food and then we had to have someone find out server in order to pay. Burger was decent, chips were excellent.Special Features:
- World ClassBJandLDined on 8/20/2014A great dining experience. The wings confit may seem pricey but they are truly special and are a must. If your entree does not come with frites then order a side, or split the "animal" version with the table. And for the brave, go for the roasted pig head. But don't go it alone because the head can easily feed two, maybe three. So split it with the table and naw on some smaller plates waiting on the pig, because it will take about 40 minutes to roast. Well worth the wait. As I left the Tavern I reserved a table for my next gathering in Cleveland. And yes I will order the pig head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark & SmallDarkDined on 8/18/2014To dark can't read the menses. Printing on menu to small, even with my glasses on could not read. Way over priced for the amount of food served.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We were disappointed with our dinner. Reservations were made at 9:15 but restaurant is open until after midnight. Ran out of two of their most notable dishes. We ended up ordering the clams as appetizers, and two steaks, beef tartare and fried chicken wings. The wait for the entrees was nearly a whole hour. The clams dish came with maybe 8 small clams and two pieces of grilled bread. Perhaps it's because we just came from Boston, but those clams were too small for that amount to be an appetizer. Steaks were ordered rare, one was fine but the strip steak was over cooked. Generally all of the dishes were overly salted, but especially the steak tartare. Expensive small portions that didn't really stand out.Special Features:
- Good experience overall.moddancerDined on 8/16/2014Our first time there and we were disappointed with our table at first because it was cramped but we had a great server, Kate, who explained the ambiance of the "window seats". The wings are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We went to GHT for the first time for our wedding anniversary. Everything was fantastic and we can wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An exciting first timedrawboy9Dined on 8/13/2014My girlfriend and I decided to try Greenhouse for the first time and wasn't disappointed! The host and wait staff was friendly and attentative. Our food came out in a reasonable time and was very good. I recommend the pig head and chicken wings!Special Features:
- what's the big deal?worldtravelerDined on 8/11/2014Limited menu and not so great either. Overrated. Wait staff isn't really genuine.
- Food is trying too hardFoodieSarahDined on 8/11/2014Service was great, waitresses were friendly and personable. Food was bad, too salty and definitely trying too hard to be innovative which resulted in an unsatisfactory meal.Special Features:
- Gone Down HillAttitudeVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been to the Greenhouse multiple times. We had a reservation, hen we went to the table, there was one chair missing, so my husband had to stand for a bit until one came. Ok, so after 8 plus minutes, our server finally comes over to get our drink order. Half of the soda for our young guest were "86" which we found out after ordering. We wanted to start with the pig head, 86. Strip Steak, 86, the only fish on the menu was being subbed for Cod. It would of been nice if the the server would of told us up front what was not available instead of waiting to hear it was way after the fact. Lots of fries on the menu and creativity has gone way down. Won't go back. Add 20% was added to the bill as we were a party of 6 or more. Nice, NOT.
- Overrated and OverpricedWontBbackDined on 8/10/2014Made open table reservations for 4 people. Our other two arrived first and were seated under reservation. When we arrived and gave name, said that there were no reservations and that we could take a seat and wait for an open table. Thank goodness the other party saw us - the reservations apparently disappear once someone is seated. That's bad. After taking our orders, most of the menu items were "sold out" but could be replaced with an up-charge of $10 for just about anything. Really? It hiked the bill WAY up, and the prices were already inflated. Waitress was kind but not the sharpest tack in the shed, that's for sure. Would never go with her recommendations - bad move. The best part of my experience was the people at my table!Special Features:
- Portions were ridiculously smallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/20143oz of pasta for $23! 3oz of pork for $24! Ridiculous!Special Features:
- Good but not greatNicoleDined on 8/9/2014I took my parents here for my dad's birthday. It was nice no complaints. The food was good but did not stand out as special. I felt that some of the items we ordered were way overpriced. I would most likely go to a more unique place next time, but the dinner was nice and the staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, big price.TomTDined on 8/9/2014I order the candele(sp?) pasta. It came in a deep wide bowl and while very tasty the pasta just covered the bottom of the bowl. For $23 I would have expect not Olive Garden portions but at least 1/3 of the bowl.Special Features:
- BirthdayBethDined on 8/4/2014My dining partner was really bothered (more than I was) by the darkness and noise. The darkness was partly due to the corner where we were seated, but we did need to use a cell phone light to read the menu. The noise level was also higher than I would like. But the food was very good. My husband got the tasting menu, which I thought would be (and was) more than I wanted to eat. Even though I wasn't getting the tasting menu, Kryten (sp?) brought me the tasting menu's amuse bouche as well. It was one delicious bite of a deconstructed BLT. I followed it with clams in foie gras broth, heavenly, with yummy grilled bread to soak up the broth, and pommes frites with aioli. The buttered popcorn pot de creme was the best dish of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/4/2014Greenhouse continues to do well with an innovative menu of fresh ingredients. A couple of areas seem to be a bit sloppy, however. Our vegetarian daughter was surprised when the server told her the fries (marked vegetarian) were cooked in pork fat. The server told us it was an error. (Not good for this quality restaurant.) Also, the gnocchi, while quite good, was more of a gnochetti--a noodle rather than a dumpling. All that said, our meals were tasty. Walleye was flaky and tender, and the pea tartare was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatRosemaryDined on 8/3/2014The food choices on the menu are limited. On the one hand it allows them to focus on each of those items but the choices are not mainstream and so it ends it being difficult to find something to eat. Also they have a very limited wine list which also limits the reasons why you would ever go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Dinner and service were super, great enjoyable evening. Would have paid double of what the actual bill came too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014I brought my boss and a colleague of mine to Greenhouse Tavern to enjoy dinner this past wednesday. The atmosphere was ok. However, we arrived and ordered 3 appetizers and 3 entrees. We all ordered 3 burgers. The Animal Fries had too much salt and pepper and were almost inedible. The oysters were ok even though there were only three of them. We waited over an hour for our food while others around us arrived, ordered, were served their food, ate, and left all before we received our food. All in all it was pretty disappointing. I don't know if I'll be back.
- One of best places in Cleveland.Jdogg330Dined on 7/26/2014The Fred Flintstone Rib Steak or Roasted Pig Face are a crowd favorite! My wife and I favorite place in Cleveland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filling but not over fullPapaBearDined on 7/26/2014Food was delicious and portions were small but just the right size for your palette. Service was over the top excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Everything about this restaurant is nearly perfect, the food was phenomenal, the taste was phenomenal and the service was phenomenal...however the kitchen seemed to be operating so efficiently that our entrees came out literally 30 seconds after we finished our appetizers, which itself came to the table not two minutes after it was ordered. This caused for a feeling of being rushed out of the resturant, however efficiency isn't something to necessarily complain about. The serving portions were also very small. Void of those two things the experience was a notable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!smalltowngirlDined on 7/26/2014We were told this was the best place to eat in downtown Cleveland. We drove 2 hours and were very impressed. The food was excellent! We had the pork chop and the steak and the Sweet Tart cocktail. Yummy! The service was spectacular and the atmosphere was great! Our food was served so quickly, we were shocked! It was well worth the drive time. Would recommend this to all of our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time will NOT be the last!IrunsoIcaneatgoodfoodDined on 7/25/2014We tried Greenhouse Tavern on a whim - our original plans changed & we wanted to try somewhere we'd never been before, so we ended up at Greenhouse. Oh my goodness! We did the 5 course tasting and were SO pleased! Great pairing of flavors and textures with all of the bites we had! EXCELLENT cocktails - the smuggler's bourbon was out of this world. and the 4th street flip was amazing. We definitely look forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Fantastic and inventive food! We love the way they use seasonal and local provisions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAmw0990VIPDined on 7/22/2014Food was amazing! We did the five course tasting menu and I would recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014GHT always delivers amazing menu choices. Our service was chilly, and we were a chatty group of 6, which seemed frustrating. I asked for an outdoor table in my reservation, and followed up by phone to request the same, but we were not accommodated when we arrived (on a Tuesday at 5:30, with baseball out of town). I also mentioned in my reservation that my guests were from out of town - I had hoped to make a better Cle impression, but service and indoor seating made it average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky and tastyPRidgeAmyDined on 7/18/2014Funky place but a bit loud. Great food. The chicken wings are good -- fall off the bone and not sloppy. Green bean casserole was really good -- the beans done just right. Not too hard and not mushy. The vegan fettuccine was so good but small portion. The pork was fabulous. The fried chicken was worth getting as well. Our server made great suggestions and was very knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a good dinner and time.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014We had a good dinner and time and the service was good and the rib steak was as named.Special Features:
- Kevin is awesomeYumyumtum1Dined on 7/16/2014Our server Kevin was amazing! He completed the special evening for us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceelvisiskingDined on 7/15/2014Wasn't a particularly crowded night, but our server brought out the wrong entree for me and forgot my appetizer until they had served all the other guests entrees. Then, when they finally brought my correct entree, it was undercooked and I had to send it back again. They comped a dessert for me, but they are plenty of other good restaurants in this area.