The Greenhouse Tavern
2038 E 4th Street
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Greenhouse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegreenhousetavern.com/
- Phone: 2164430511x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jonathon Sawyer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering is available upon request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org in regards to your event.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate groups of 15 to 40 in our private areas. The entire restaurant is available for events with 130 or more guests. Off site catering also available. We understand each event is different so we will help customize to your specific needs.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Sawyer 2164430511
- Cross Street: Euclid & Prospect
- Public Transit: Short walk from both Terminal Tower and Public Square - RTA and Trolly lines (http://www.riderta.com/).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available on East 4th at the cost of $8 per vehicle. Valet operated by MVP Parking. Prices may vary. Network Parking also operates many parking lots in the area.
A word from The Greenhouse Tavern
Chef Jonathon Sawyer's sustainably inspired flagship restaurant located in the heart of downtown Cleveland.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Greenhouse Tavern - Best Restaurants in Downtown Cleveland ›
The Greenhouse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (167)neighborhood gem (89)great for outdoor dining (84)hot spot (82)special occasion (67)vibrant bar scene (54)good for groups (51)late-night find (36)notable wine list (33)great for lunch (26)romantic (24)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Anniversary dinnerMimiDined on 9/16/2014We sat a lovely table on the second level. Our server was top-notch, catering to my food allergies, even bringing jam with the bread! She was available but not hovering. She was very knowledgable about the menu also. The food was great, too! We really enjoyed our evening out. We really never go downtown, so we enjoyed the ambiance very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendClvldvisitorDined on 9/14/2014One of the best meal experiences I've ever had! The menu is well suited for vegetarians and meat lovers alike!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Eveningthg765VIPDined on 9/13/2014We were quickly seated and service was superb all night. The menu has choices for all but isn't too large. Our dishes were really good. Our first time there, but not last.Special Features:
- I will keep coming back!Stephmiller25Dined on 9/11/2014One of my favorite Cleveland restaurants! My only disappointment was the removal of devils on horseback:(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere; Unique FoodRobFromDCVIPDined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal at The Greenhouse Tavern. The menu is filled with interesting choices that are a twist on what you expect. Highly recommended. The place is noisy however, and it can be hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- What happened to my Opreservation?VeganJeffDined on 9/10/2014The restaurant had no record of my Open Table reservation.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014For all the press that this restaurant receives, I expected a lot more. I have visited on different occassions. I was hoping that I just ordered the wrong item on my prior visit. However, I consistently am disappointed with this restaurant.
- Superb!CWandMrsCWVIPDined on 9/7/2014Everything was a highlight for an early evening dinner before a House of Blues concert. Our server superbly explained several items on the menu, which made our choice interestingly difficult. Corn Bones - simply tasty, Candrele ragu pasta - divine! Super establishment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I absolutly loved the greenhouse tavern. I cannot wait to return. The waitress was incredible! She explained everything and even gave us her recommendations which were fantastic. You cannot go wrong with this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greenhouse TavernKatieDined on 9/6/2014Decor was interesting and very modern urban chic, not necessarily what I was expecting for the price range, but not an annoyance or anything. The food was very tasty and I like that the use as much local materials as possible. I ordered the corn gnocchi and they make the noodles in house. The only complaint is that the portions are quite small. It was fine as I am a petite girl who doesn't need to eat a lot but my husband ordered the walleye entree and it was maybe 3 or 4 oz. Luckily we ordered the pomme frites, which may have been my favorite food I tried there (baked with rosemary and garlic- heavenly!). My advice would be to get at least an appetizer per person and an entree or be prepared to need to eat a snack later in the evening.Special Features:
- Great experience.June13Dined on 9/6/2014We were celebrating my husband's 40the birthday. We had a great dinner, food was good and the staff was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local food!Familyof4Dined on 9/6/2014Eating at The Greenhouse Tavern is always a special occasion. We appreciate the commitment to local vendors, the food is great, and the waitstaff is friendly and informed about the menu and the restaurant. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Fantastic - Service So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014I've been to GHT many times and can honestly say I've never been disappointed in a meal. That still holds true - the food was excellent. However, the service was disappointing. Dined with a group of 5 - all of whom selected the 5 course pre-fixe menu - and the staff failed to clear off plates as they brought each course. Our server disappeared for long periods of time. We were inundated with plates and eventually resorted to walking our own dishes over to the server station and placing it on a counter. I've never had an issue with service at GHT, but I've also never had gratuity automatically added to my bill before (at 20%) at GHT... and I've never bussed my own table at a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- A great spot on 4th St.BrassCityDaveDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I were in town for 1 night. Ate dinner at Greenhouse Tavern, and was not disappointed. Food (chicken wings, Walleye, and Porkchop) was good and flavorful; service was ok; drinks were good too. Only knock is that the prices are a bit too high (relative to the place, the ambience, etc...). A bit more reasonable pricing would make this place a true winnerSpecial Features:
- BravoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014This was my second time here, and it was just as great as my first visit. If I lived in Cleveland I would be here at least once a month. We opted for the tasting menus and loved every dish. Service was great and would not have changed a thing. So happy to see such talent in the Cleveland restaurant scene. Being a restaurant person myself, I truly appreciated the effort given to achieve excellence.Special Features:
- great placeQuin0615Dined on 8/31/2014this is my fourth time here and it just keeps getting better and better! My server, Cocina, was exceptional! She was very personable and knowledgeable of the food, which made this experience the best one ever, Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, would visit again.EzEEDined on 8/30/2014I didn't realize when I booked the reservation that it is more of a five course situation. We got to the restaurant a little late and had a show to get to after dinner and they were really great about putting our order in right away and getting it out to us quickly. We didn't do the five courses because of time, but I would certainly go back to try it out. The lamb burger was delicious.Special Features:
- Greenhouse is a foodie Nirvana!primerib1Dined on 8/29/2014This was my second visit, and as good as the first! The food, the staff are all great. The pigs head is a mini hog roast at your table! Props to Chef JS and his great team! I only wish this restaurant was in Indianapolis, then it would be only a 20 min drive, not 4.5 hrs. , but with many great things the extra effort is worth the reward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceLuvgoingouttodinnerDined on 8/29/2014We had friends in from Boston this weekend and wanted to take them out and decided on Greenhouse Tavern. I was so embarrassed at the poor service. Our waiter's name was Julius. We waited 30 minutes for our drinks. And in total, an hour and a half from when we were seated, for our dinners to arrive. Other tables were seated after us and left before us. My husband got the strip steak and specifically told Julius that he was allergic to dairy, yet they proceeded to put his steak on top of mashed potatoes. Julius could of done a much better job attending to us and keeping us informed if there was an unusual delay in service (however, from some of the previous comments here, it seems to be a problem now). I would not recommend to eat hereSpecial Features:
- Not so special anymoreDeb1119VIPDined on 8/29/2014Portions smaller. Prices higher. Hostess crabby. Not a memorable experience anymore. Will try 1 more time - maybe an off night. Step it up. Too many other choices on e 4th.
- Monday EveningGinnyDined on 8/25/2014Monday is an "off" night in the restaurant industry, so that's when I like to go to the ones that are open. Friends recommended the Greenhouse Tavern. In honesty, I found the menu a little pretentious. BUT you can call them pomme frites if they are as good as the french fries that came with my lamb burger. I didn't look at the wine list, because my companion was going for beer. I just got a Malbec by the glass, but it was a generous pour, and very good! If the place had been packed, it probably would have been noisy, but it was about half full, and it was very pleasant. The burgers and salad were good, and prepared properly. Our server was great. She rolled with our humor and was able to answer menu questions.Special Features:
- Top 5 all-time favoritepezalloDined on 8/23/2014I've been here twice, and the food is unbelievable! The flavors and presentation are what you'd expect from a top chef! The wings are my personal favorite - all the meat slides off the bone and the spice is perfect. The atmosphere is hip and cool, not pretensious. Worth every penny. And if you buy the kitchen a round (it's just $10), they'll make quite the spectical of appreciation! And trust me, you'll want to buy the kitchen a round after this meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we expectedJustmeDined on 8/22/2014A fabulous restaurant needs quality, educated servers. Our service was terrible -- 45 minutes for dessert to arrive!! And then it was dried out and burned! And the server could not answer questions. Nor did she do the bill correctly -- charging an up charge for something without telling us in advance. NOT a good experience. And the rest of the food?? Meh.
- Greenhouse Tavern pleasesSaintEllenDined on 8/22/2014Took out-of-town, & difficult-to-please visitor to Greenhouse Tavern. She loved every bite of every complex & unusual dish. The waitress was terrific, patiently answering many questions, offering suggestions and options. We were able to sit outdoors which enhanced the experience, as 4th St. was bustling.Special Features:
- WORTH A REPEAT VISITDonnaDined on 8/22/2014The Greenhouse Tavern serves up beautiful and delicious dishes in a casual but upscale setting. A must have -- Crispy Confit Chicken Wings. OMG, these were the best wings we've ever had! Not your typical wing, they fall off the bone and melt in your mouth, with a taste that I can't describe. We had one as a dinner appetizer and went back the next night after the game for two more orders. I would drive 500 miles to Cleveland for these wings, seriously! The entrees were also wonderful. Can't wait to go back on my next visit!Special Features:
- Don't go with someone you want to tUnlikelyDined on 8/21/2014Don't go with someone you want to talk to The noise level is inappropriate for a restaurant with such good food and service. Waitstaff and people at tables around us were yelling to be heard. Around 9pm the bass on the sound system was turned up so high a wineglass on our table toppled. Very unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burger & chips, bad service.NMR7Dined on 8/21/2014We were seated in the window without menus. We had to ask. Then our server was slow to appear and then absent. Someone else dropped off our food and then we had to have someone find out server in order to pay. Burger was decent, chips were excellent.Special Features:
- World ClassBJandLDined on 8/20/2014A great dining experience. The wings confit may seem pricey but they are truly special and are a must. If your entree does not come with frites then order a side, or split the "animal" version with the table. And for the brave, go for the roasted pig head. But don't go it alone because the head can easily feed two, maybe three. So split it with the table and naw on some smaller plates waiting on the pig, because it will take about 40 minutes to roast. Well worth the wait. As I left the Tavern I reserved a table for my next gathering in Cleveland. And yes I will order the pig head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark & SmallDarkDined on 8/18/2014To dark can't read the menses. Printing on menu to small, even with my glasses on could not read. Way over priced for the amount of food served.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We were disappointed with our dinner. Reservations were made at 9:15 but restaurant is open until after midnight. Ran out of two of their most notable dishes. We ended up ordering the clams as appetizers, and two steaks, beef tartare and fried chicken wings. The wait for the entrees was nearly a whole hour. The clams dish came with maybe 8 small clams and two pieces of grilled bread. Perhaps it's because we just came from Boston, but those clams were too small for that amount to be an appetizer. Steaks were ordered rare, one was fine but the strip steak was over cooked. Generally all of the dishes were overly salted, but especially the steak tartare. Expensive small portions that didn't really stand out.Special Features:
- Good experience overall.moddancerDined on 8/16/2014Our first time there and we were disappointed with our table at first because it was cramped but we had a great server, Kate, who explained the ambiance of the "window seats". The wings are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We went to GHT for the first time for our wedding anniversary. Everything was fantastic and we can wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An exciting first timedrawboy9Dined on 8/13/2014My girlfriend and I decided to try Greenhouse for the first time and wasn't disappointed! The host and wait staff was friendly and attentative. Our food came out in a reasonable time and was very good. I recommend the pig head and chicken wings!Special Features:
- what's the big deal?worldtravelerDined on 8/11/2014Limited menu and not so great either. Overrated. Wait staff isn't really genuine.
- Food is trying too hardFoodieSarahDined on 8/11/2014Service was great, waitresses were friendly and personable. Food was bad, too salty and definitely trying too hard to be innovative which resulted in an unsatisfactory meal.Special Features:
- Gone Down HillAttitudeVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have been to the Greenhouse multiple times. We had a reservation, hen we went to the table, there was one chair missing, so my husband had to stand for a bit until one came. Ok, so after 8 plus minutes, our server finally comes over to get our drink order. Half of the soda for our young guest were "86" which we found out after ordering. We wanted to start with the pig head, 86. Strip Steak, 86, the only fish on the menu was being subbed for Cod. It would of been nice if the the server would of told us up front what was not available instead of waiting to hear it was way after the fact. Lots of fries on the menu and creativity has gone way down. Won't go back. Add 20% was added to the bill as we were a party of 6 or more. Nice, NOT.
- Overrated and OverpricedWontBbackDined on 8/10/2014Made open table reservations for 4 people. Our other two arrived first and were seated under reservation. When we arrived and gave name, said that there were no reservations and that we could take a seat and wait for an open table. Thank goodness the other party saw us - the reservations apparently disappear once someone is seated. That's bad. After taking our orders, most of the menu items were "sold out" but could be replaced with an up-charge of $10 for just about anything. Really? It hiked the bill WAY up, and the prices were already inflated. Waitress was kind but not the sharpest tack in the shed, that's for sure. Would never go with her recommendations - bad move. The best part of my experience was the people at my table!Special Features:
- Portions were ridiculously smallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/20143oz of pasta for $23! 3oz of pork for $24! Ridiculous!Special Features:
- Good but not greatNicoleDined on 8/9/2014I took my parents here for my dad's birthday. It was nice no complaints. The food was good but did not stand out as special. I felt that some of the items we ordered were way overpriced. I would most likely go to a more unique place next time, but the dinner was nice and the staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, big price.TomTDined on 8/9/2014I order the candele(sp?) pasta. It came in a deep wide bowl and while very tasty the pasta just covered the bottom of the bowl. For $23 I would have expect not Olive Garden portions but at least 1/3 of the bowl.Special Features: