The Greenhouse Tavern
2038 E 4th Street
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Greenhouse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegreenhousetavern.com/
- Phone: (216) 443-0511
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jonathon Sawyer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering is available upon request. Please email email@example.com in regards to your event.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate groups of 15 to 40 in our private areas. The entire restaurant is available for events with 130 or more guests. Off site catering also available. We understand each event is different so we will help customize to your specific needs.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Sawyer 2164430511
- Cross Street: Euclid & Prospect
- Public Transit: Short walk from both Terminal Tower and Public Square - RTA and Trolly lines (http://www.riderta.com/).
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available on East 4th at the cost of $8 per vehicle. Valet operated by MVP Parking. Prices may vary. Network Parking also operates many parking lots in the area.
A word from The Greenhouse Tavern
Chef Jonathon Sawyer's sustainably inspired flagship restaurant located in the heart of downtown Cleveland.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Greenhouse Tavern - Best Restaurants in Downtown Cleveland ›
The Greenhouse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (165)hot spot (96)neighborhood gem (94)special occasion (80)good for groups (67)great for outdoor dining (63)vibrant bar scene (59)late-night find (41)notable wine list (28)romantic (27)great for lunch (24)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- SosososoHappyWomanVIPDined on 11/16/2014Made our reservations weeks ahead. Notified same day while in the theater that time had been changed. Put upstairs and one of our party has bad knees. VERY cold. Mediocre service. Other than the salad, which was good, NO fresh green veg. Heavy menu and didn't see the French influence. Worst choc souffle ever. Overdone and sauce watery. Disappointing. Ate here a couple hears ago and it was better.
- Must order the chicken wings!JillymoEatsDined on 11/15/2014The chicken wings are like nothing any of us have had before. Delicious! We were having a late dinner so we opted for the lamb burgers and Gravy Frites. Everything was spectacular. The table next to us had the Fred Flintstone Beef Short Rib and also the Pigs Head... that will definitely be on our table on the next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Our Tradition!MrsAyindeDined on 11/15/2014The Greenhouse Tavern is absolutely wonderful. We alwasy enjoy our experience here. So much, we go back every year. It has become a Cleveland tradition. The food is absolutely amazing. It is definitely a place I recommend to anyone and everyone traveling to Cleveland. The new Risotto is possibly the best food I have ever ate. We do miss the Devils On Horseback. Those were absolutely an explosion of excellend in your mouth. If you are in Cleveland, definitely make it a stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with DadAbbieDDined on 11/15/2014I cannot say enough good things about the Greenhouse Tavern. I was lucky enough to book a last minute reservation on a Saturday for my dad and I for his birthday. He had been telling everyone that all he wanted to do for his day was try the pig's head! We arrived an hour early and the hostess gladly told us we could have drinks at the bar, and she would come get us when our table was ready. When it was, she had tipped off our waitress that we wanted the pig's head, which she told us she would order right away to be sure we could get one before it sold out. Beyond the great service, the food was superb. We tried the "Fancy Poutine", which was a decedent treat. The pig's head exceeded our expectations. My dad claimed it would be chosen as his "last meal". Truly, it was the best barbecue I have had. Who knew pork could be so moist? I hope to come back again soon! Chef Sawyer, you got a great thing going for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique in many waysBuckeyemomDined on 11/15/2014The food was incomparable. The chicken wings and clams with foie gras were outstanding. I'd highly recommend this place to all foodies and anyone who'd like a unique dining experience. The casual atmosphere offers a nice balance to the menu. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2014As always, the Greenhouse Tavern is a wonderful dining experience. My husband and I come every few months. The menu is always wonderful with seasonal changes. The service is always great as well. Servers are friendly and able to accommodate requests as well as recommend selections. This restaurant will continue to be our favorite. The only downside - we miss the "devils on horseback"!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors!JuiceVIPDined on 11/11/2014My husband and I had wanted to dine at Greenhouse Tavern for some time and had the opportunity for lunch in Cleveland this week. Don't let the "tavern" label fool you--this is fine dining, even if it's a burger and fries. There is a serious commitment to locally sourced ingredients and, combined with the preparation, the result is eye popping combinations of flavor--even sensations in the case of the jalapeño-laced chicken wings. My lamb burger with "stinky cheese" was delicious with the creamy gouda-like cheese. My husbands strip steak was delicious and the fresh rosemary-laced pommes frites perfectly thin and crisp. Service was efficient. We look forward to returning for dinner.Special Features:
- MediocreAirManDined on 11/10/2014This was my second visit to the Greenhouse to try to see why it was rated as well as it is. Both times the food was just really mediocre; it is nothing special at all. I think the approach the restaurant takes (organic, local sourcing, etc.) causes people to rate it higher than the taste buds would indicate. I made a same day reservation here for 5:30 before a 7 p.m. Cavs game and was able to get in with no problem. Neither Lola's nor Chinato was available on such short notice, so maybe the public action is reflecting my opinion. My dining partner said he thought it had gone down a bit since he had last eaten there.
- Excellent!athenzchickDined on 11/8/2014We had the Ohio Beef Burger and it was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten! We also really enjoyed the Buttered Popcorn Pot de Creme, although I will probably order my own next time, the portion was a bit small for sharing. Fantastic service, great atmosphere (they were playing MST3K on the TV!), and really great food and drinks! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- My new favorite in CLE!SmudpuDined on 11/8/2014Have visited Greenhouse twice in the past 60 days - both trips were fantastic! Amazing food, fantastic service, creative tasty cocktails. The tasting menu is a fun way to try 5 courses. You must try the chicken wings and the pot de creme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FlavorPittsburghFoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014Greenhouse gets the most flavor from food of almost any restaurant I have been to.Special Features:
- DelighfulGVP1Dined on 11/1/2014One of the best dining out experiences We've ever had. Each course was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I don't know which was worse, the service or the food. My husband ordered the steak which was nothing more than a thin hockey puck slapped over some potatoes.I had the pork dish which was dry and too salty! The server didn't seem to know much about the menu and didn't seem to really care that much about it either. We had the hand made mixed drinks which were ok. We will not eat here again. We recommend going next door to the sublime Lola's!
- Great Food/Average Serviceg8fudDined on 10/31/2014We had a party of 6 and everyone showed up at different times. The hostess would not walk everyone up to the table but just merely pointed out that the rest of the party was upstairs and to go find them. The food was fantastic but left a sour taste in our mouth when the waitress seemed very annoyed when we asked her to split the bill up for the 3 separate couples then gave each of us our bill and did not mention that there was already a 20% gratuity charge on the bill. I feel that she should have mentioned that before giving us the check. I feel like she was being sneaky and trying to make a couple extra bucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awkward service.MichebaDined on 10/30/2014We had a great night at GHT. My husband and I each had a 5course tasting menu and were in love wih the food. Drinks were great also! It was his birthday & we wanted to have a fun night with great food: success! I gave service 3 stars because our server was awkward and unknowingly rude, it was clear she didn't want to be there. She fumbled through splitting our checks, one twosome in our party was initially charged $175 when their true, final tab was only $90. Another twosome in our group apparently left a note on their tab about poor service and the server started arguing with the remaining group members about it. Awkward. I'll take a break before returning so I can forget this experience. But I will return for more good food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014Love this place every single time we dine! Great cocktails, food and service!Special Features:
- WHAT???DisappointedDinner123Dined on 10/25/2014Food was over priced for the portion size and restaurant atmosphere...It felt like it wanted to be more of an upscale place and just was not. Michael Symon's restaurant right down the street beats this place with food taste, portions, and upscale atmosphere and yet they cost the same for a night out for two???...
- Something DifferentChowluvverDined on 10/25/2014The four of us decided to order cheeseburgers, something different from our usual choice of food from a proven foodie restaurant. The staff was friendly and the service impeccable. However, the choice of cheese left us all wishing we had ordered something else. The odor was unpleasant and only one of us, has no sense of smell, could finish their sandwich. I mentioned this to our server and she suggested the steak. Two declined and decided they were no longer hungry. I opted for the steak and was treated to the best steak I have probably ever eaten. It was prepared as ordered and the taste was great. I sliced pieces for the table and all agreed on its excellent taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CutenperkyDined on 10/25/2014I know this is an acclaimed restaurant/chef, but our experience there, based on the food alone was not very positive. The menu is, as my husband said, a lot of work to figure out. My so called salad was so salty it was almost I edible and consisted mostly of drowned arugula stems. The mushroom plate, also a misnomer, was tasteless and weird, and I'm a lover of mushrooms. The service was attentive and the ambience sort of fun but ultimately the food was a huge disappointment.
- A must!!Hkprincess12Dined on 10/24/2014If you find yourself in downtown Cleveland you must make a trip to Greenhouse Tavern! Please get the chicken wings as an appetizer I don't know how they make them so amazing but you must must try them !! Their menu changes often but I'm told the chicken wings are always on the menu!! Great beer and great food!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall nice placemewantfoodDined on 10/24/2014alil on the pricey side but an excellent dining experience from the mind of a great Cleveland chefSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our first visit to The GreenhouseGinger55Dined on 10/24/2014we had a great server Brian....sat at the "kitchen table".....what a hoot! so much fun watching behind the scenes; crazy busy but they would take the time to answer a quick question we had; we had the 5 course dinner and all the food was great! except I didnt care for the fries....they took my lamb burger back to cook it to my liking; my husband liked all his food; the samplers on the spoons (cant remeber what they call it)were unique and a blend of flavors;....wine list was a little pricey, maybe some less expensive selections.... . AND we bought a round of beer for the kitchen crew; their "thank you" was a fun surprise! definitely will come back and want to try out the rooftop seating!!!!Special Features:
- Great Cleveland Divemoose7722Dined on 10/21/2014Food, atmosphere and ambiance was all great, but one thing that didn't make sense to us was the First, Second, Third and Half sections of the menu. They are supposed to show portion size, but its not explained well. Staff was courteous and cute they made the evening fun for us. You won't be disappointed in the wings, or the chicken fried chicken, which was far and away my favorite dishSpecial Features:
- ConvivialRichardVIPDined on 10/19/2014Always try the fifth quarter for something delicious.Special Features:
- It was deliciouslove2eatDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I went for dinner on a celebratory weekend. The service was wonderful and our server was very thoughtful. My wife is gluten intolerant and our server made sure her meal was safe for her. I had the Crispy Chicken Wings Confit that just fell off the bone and tasted amazing. I also had the Lamb Burger and I have to say that it was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. You have to try this place.Special Features:
- Dinner celebrationAmherstDined on 10/18/2014Food, service and atmosphere was great. Look forward to dining there again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal in years!MadpotterDined on 10/18/2014We were given a gift certificate and had attempted to eat here twice but parking was a problem. We finally found a weekend with no sports events or other downtown events. It was worth the trouble. Had the walleye and my date had the ragout…….. it was the best meal we have had in years! Perfectly cooked, seasoned and served. We are going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but hoping for betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014We were seated upstairs in back of tavern. As we had a theater timeline, staff tried to be attentive. Unfortunately, the main course took a long while to arrive but the staff was very aware of this and even provided a complimentary tomato dish to tide us over. The upstairs back area is very dark and it is difficult to see the menus and even the food when it arrives. Given the darkness on the table, it was hard to trim fat from steak and unfortunately the fat was fairly sizable for the steak. I wanted to enjoy this hip spot but I think the kitchen was struggling to keep up on a busy Sat night. It was a nice place to visit, and hope to try it again some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014We mentioned it was our anniversary and that we were married there and immediately two glasses of champagne appeared. We love the kale salad and tried the chicken fried chicken which was amazing. We always enjoy our time at the Greenhouse Tavern.Special Features:
- BIG ODisappointedDined on 10/11/2014Food was good but overpriced. Wine pours were small. Server forgot my wife's salad and never brought one even after we told her (?) Pig's head entrée look interesting but not @ $49Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!!JandPFoodiesDined on 10/10/2014Our experience at The GHT far exceded our expectations. We look forward to many more visits to our new favorite restaurant in DT Cleveland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAmyBDined on 10/9/2014We had an enjoyable lunch with unique offerings. I ordered the Kale salad with chicken which was divine. Only suggestion I would have is to add a few (just a few) more options to the lunch menu.Special Features:
- OverpricedwanttobefullDined on 10/3/2014I ordered the seared lake erie walleye. I paid $28 for about 3 ozs of fish and a tablespoon of some kind of corn recipe. I felt completely ripped off. I hate places like this that overcharge and under serve.Special Features:
- Try the clamsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Although my main entrée was excellent (beef tartar), the clams were fantastic! Best broth ever!Special Features:
- RobinDined on 10/2/2014Great food and atmosphere, but the service was very, very slow. Also had a nice gluten free menu.Special Features:
- Two days in a row not equalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014My husband & I dined 2 days in a row here. First Saturday dinner then the next day Sunday. Saturday was great; had great service and food. The second day not so much. Server not as knowledgeable about food & drinks. Service in general not as attentive. Needed to ask for additional silverware when the old was taken away. Food still great though! I would come again but not on Sunday! Also, ask not to get seated on the upstairs level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014This place has so much potential, the service is great and the staff is very knowledgeable and accommodating of food allergies, but the food is consistently over-salted to a degree that makes it inedible. I have dined here over 6 times through the years and each time have sent my food back for this reason, along with those dining with me. Please do yourself a favor Greenhouse, taste the food before you send it out.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We all enjoyed our food. We ordered the rib steak, pork chop, and walleye. They were all fantastic! Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wont go back NOT as expected :(LetdownDined on 9/27/2014WELL... The food is good BUT...... Here we go. Cocktails Good. My daughter and I dined on the 27th of September. We 1st ordered clams we got 6 we shared 3 each. Hummm. Got the Green house salad enough for 3 fork fulls and it was all arugula. Our main was Candele Pasta 8 pcs of pasta a few pcs of short rib meat. With 4 drinks walking away still hungry our bill was $130.00 with out tip. Also it was so dark the candle on the table was tilted to read the menu. Also we sat for at least 10 min till someone took our drink order. Jon Taffer would of had a fit.
- Oink...FoodGloriousFoodDined on 9/26/2014Had a few very nice wines, corn cobs mussels & wings for starters with wings coming in as our favorite. Steak, Chops, Pigs head & Flintstone ribs and the winner was Flintstone Ribs!!! Service was outstanding, very friendly and acomidating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.