The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering
#102 550 6th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P0S2Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greenbeancatering.com/dining/
- Phone: 403 232 1122x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30 am - 10:30 am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Patio in summertime, first come, first seated!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Whipp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: We have been downtown Calgary's corporate caterers for nearly two decades! Our catering menus are available on our website. www.greenbeancatering.com/catering
A word from The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering is the newly renovated home of Green Bean Catering, formerly in the Herald Building. In addition to our prolific corporate catering, we are now offering a full service dining room that serves breakfast weekdays from 6:30-10:30 and lunch from 11:00-2:30. Featuring hand made fresh foods, our own blend of coffee, 4 different beers on tap, boutique sourced beautiful wines that pair with the menu fabulously, and mouth watering desserts. The restaurant is available in evenings for private functions, please call to inquire!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (37)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- First visit to great lunch spotrundivaDined on 9/12/2014I needed a walking-distance restaurant for a last-minute business lunch. I found that The Green Bean has space available to thought I would take a chance and try it. Everything about it was great - the staff were prompt & friendly, the food was tasty and the pricing was diner-friendly. My companion and I did find it a bit on the noisy side, but given that it was a Friday at lunchtime, that is not entirely surprising. I will go back here again, both for business and personal meals in the future.Special Features:
- Great Service - Perfect for LunchEatOutVIPDined on 9/8/2014I love the Green Bean - perfect location for me, so bright and clean. The food is good with a nice variety on the menu and items changing with the seasons; service is great so you can count on being out in a reasonable time if you need to. A great place for catching up with a friend or having a business lunch.Special Features:
- RobyneDined on 8/26/2014Was a little disappointed with food on this visit. Waitress indicated there was a new chef. I'm not sure if he/she is a chef or cook as soup came out covered in parsley and you couldn't se the soup or tell what kind it was.Special Features:
- RobyneDined on 8/18/2014Food is very fresh and portions are very generous! Definitely a great place for lunch. Service was also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceshashaDined on 8/11/2014Went with 2 Ladies from work, and all the dishes we had were perfect.!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eggs bennyaneworDined on 7/31/2014If you are an eggs benny fan this is the place to go. The eggs were cooked perfectly and the sauce was perfection. I would go again just for that. If,good coffee too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014Your benosalad is absolutely horrible. I did not expect to get day old chicken shredded not cubed as stated on the menu. Huge waste of money! Your restaurant is at a great location but that's all it's got going for it. Looking for another restaurant where you get fresh food!!
- LovesToEatOutDined on 6/17/2014Great service, delicious food, nice decor. Pleased to have such quick service, especially at lunch during work day. Overall, really enjoyed the experience. We were a group of five and all of us said we would definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShonasTastesDined on 6/11/2014This is my favorite place to go for lunch. The Ceasar Salad is AMAZING. Best dressing ever!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/10/2014Good wholesome food. Great for business lunch - in and out. Service is quick and efficient. My only question this time around was that I asked them not to bother with the rice and add a few extra vegetables. They brought rice. That can happen at busy lunchtimes though and it will not stop me going back. Serving staff are outgoing and chatty. This is not the high skirt, low neckline, overpriced and marginal downtown lunch restaurant but if a professional, friendly business lunch is what you are after with really good food, this one works exceptionally well.Special Features:
- Great ServiceBrendaDined on 6/6/2014The service was awesome. The serving staff were friendly, efficient and very professional. I would definitely go back just for the service but the food was very tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014As I had frequently ordered catering from this restaurant, I wanted to try the actual restaurant. They had NO record of our reservation through Open Table but managed to squeeze the four of us in as I arrived a bit before 12 noon. The service was wonderful and the food was very quick - we did not need to rush through the lunch. It became very busy quickly. Unfortunately the noise level was very high which made conversations difficult.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering reviews archive.
- Outdoor luncheon finally!TansayDined on 5/14/2014INALLY could eat outdoors. The patio at The Green Bean is on a busy street, but we weren't aware of major noise. The tables are close together; 2 tables nearby were having to figure out how to seat everyone and it looked a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. The server was gracious and helpful. My friend thoroughly enjoyed her beef dip with potato pumpkin mashed potatoes. My Reuben was seriously overstuffed with meat (I could have happily done with half.) While tasty it was quite soggy on the bottom; I don't think the sauerkraut was not well enough drained. Rather than hot mustard they used grainy mustard. The spinach salad was lovely, just a light dressing and the strawberries were lovely. So all in all, it was a good outing.
- The Green Bean DelightbeansproutDined on 5/9/2014I love this restaurant. The food is consistantly good and the service is outstanding every time I go. I would definitely recommend The Green Bean for lunch. The staff here honestly feel like family.Special Features:
- Solid BreakfastmeatnvegVIPDined on 5/7/2014Homestyle service and food offerings make this a good breakfast option. It was very quiet when we visited so hard to review anything other than the food which was "solid" Great fresh squeezed grapefruit tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchjmckDined on 4/14/2014We had great service, and the food was fantastic and the price was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, Lovely AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Always love having lunch here. The specials are always fantastic. Only problem is the service is always slow.Special Features:
- I had the autumn salad withLipmanVIPDined on 2/28/2014I had the autumn salad with chicken - it was really good! The only negative was our waitress (red hair) that forgot to bring our water, took away our plates while we were still eating (yes, actually) and also took away my tea bag while I was drinking tea. Came back and asked if i wanted more hot water for my tea ........... but my tea bag was taken away! LOL Oh well, maybe she just started waitressing! Food was good! But the draft was so cold everytime someone came into the restaurant!Special Features:
- Great lunch placeOliviaVIPDined on 2/20/2014Great food, outstanding service! I had the halibut and chips and it was excellent. Quick too. Glad this place is on Open Table and I think it's also new to being open as a restaurant- as opposed to the catering business. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love your veggies!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014While I am not a vegetarian I most often come back here for the quality of their veggies. My go-to dishes for lunch are the Turkey Pot Pie and the Maple Salmon as they are delicious and satisfying. When lunching on my own my preference is to have lunch sitting up at the long bar watching the movies that are projected on the wall with no sound (mostly black and white movies which are great fun]. The staff are friendly and professional and often while at the bar for lunch the kitchen staff pop out for a cool drink of water and ask if I am enjoying my meal which is a really nice touch indeed. Looking forward to my next visit already. Regards ColetteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2014I have been to the Green Bean Restaurant a few times, and I have always had a good meal, and great service. This is quickly becoming my new favorite restaurant!Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphereMaryVIPDined on 2/13/2014Went for lunch and it was great. The food was great and it was not too noisy so we could actually talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodshashaDined on 2/11/2014It was by far the best Beef Dip I have had in CalgarySpecial Features:
- On the fenceMochiDined on 2/7/2014I really want to like this place but both times I've had the feature and had to send it back. Both salmon, so I'm not sure if fish is not their thing. I couldn't even eat my meal today. It was a bad piece of fish that never should've made it out of the kitchen. The server was gracious and offered to bring me something else, and took it off my bill. Service is great here. Just wary of trying it again due to the quality of the food. Last time I had salmon as well and it was dry and bland. If I do go back, it won't be for the salmon.
- Look forward to trying all itemsMS77Dined on 1/31/2014Food was very tasty, service was great, very quick with the order. I've been twice now and have enjoyed both menu items. The Bean Burger was a bit heavy on the BBQ sauce, for next time i would ask for less. Look forward to going back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent for group lunchespalanteDined on 1/24/2014Have been in this place a few times. Always consistent on their quality of service, food and timing. I got a table for 6, an hour before I showed up for lunch. They were expecting us and ready to serve us. I needed quick service because I needed to leave early and they did our lunches right away. Great quality and excellent service. The only think is that is that is quite noise and sound seems to bounce all over (concrete floors and large open cealing. Other than that, I would go again! Thanks!Special Features:
- Fantastic!MonicaVIPDined on 1/23/2014My client recommended this restaurant for a breakfast meeting and it was perfect. The service was fantastic and the food was healthy and awesome. I will definitely return to the Green Bean. I am new to Calgary so I am thrilled to find such a great breakfast place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, Fish and ChipsHappyDinerVIPDined on 1/8/2014So delicious! Staff is very friendly and accommodating but not pushy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New go to restauranttboneDined on 12/16/2013I went to Green Bean for the first time this week with a friend. I had the turkey pot pie which was delicious and apparently they make the turkeys every day! The dish included lightly stir fried carrots and brocolli and a dab of mashed. The meal was just right for me for lunch. Not too big but not too small. Service was prompt. I shall return.Special Features:
- Have the SaladHMMcVeanDined on 11/26/2013Any of the salads are excellent. The toasted sourdough was outstanding. Service - A+Special Features:
- Great food but noisyTrillDined on 11/8/2013First visit to this restaurant after reading good reviews. Lunch time visit was very noisy so made it difficult to have a conversation. It was full, but the hard surroundings do nothing to absorb the noise. Do not expect somewhere comfortable to sit and relax. The food was very good, but with a 12 :30 booking the daily special was already sold out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Item missinglunchDined on 11/8/2013Dang menu changes, was so looking forward to the chicken with smoked gouda and it was gone from the menu. Ended up with a chicken burger but no comparision. Great service ThanksSpecial Features:
- Ok...SClub7VIPDined on 11/7/2013I'll give this restaurant another try but I wasn't blown away by the food on this visit (my first time there). It was good but not great (and I wouldn't recommend it based on the meal I had).
- I thought the space was great,lunchwithfriendsDined on 10/31/2013I thought the space was great, not a whole lot of veggie options, my salad was boring and I found the resturant to be loud and hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!lunchguruDined on 10/23/2013Working in the building, I have eaten here many times and always had great, friendly service. The salads are fabulous and it is a wonderful lunch spot...nice patio to enjoy in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehCalgaryPDined on 10/22/2013The server was very good and well accomodating for our larger than average table. During the peak time, the restaurant got very loud but this is typical for downtown restaurants at noon. The food was good and hot but certainly nothing was amazing - i.e. everyone liked their meal but no one remarked about it being exceptionally good. Overall it was an okay spot with a menu that could satisfy everyone at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but really noisyPadenDined on 9/27/2013No one in my party of four would go back to Green Bean even though the food was quite good. I realize the warehouse-type decor is inexpensive but that also means no noise filters whatsoever and it was a wall of noise from beginning to end. It was very busy so the service was good but not great.
- Food is very good. I haveEatingDowntownDined on 9/23/2013Food is very good. I have been to this resturant 3 times. I really enjoy the baked Gouda chicken parmigiana. The patio is a hidden gem that isn't well known.Special Features:
- Good healthy and heartyWhitegogglesDined on 8/20/2013The menu items we ordered were fresh and tasty. From the beef barley soup classic to the spinach salad with prawns, I felt the value was obvious. Clean, fresh and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal location for lunch asChelleahDined on 7/30/2013Ideal location for lunch as near work. Very noisy, would be good to find some way of softening the level of noise ie. felt pads on the bottom of chairs so they don't scrap on the floor; maybe furnishings that soften the voice sound level? Poor choice for Vegans. The Portobello Mushroom burger contains egg and dairy, which I am severly intolerant to, so I end up having fries and a salad every time. It gets very boring. Service is very good, staff attentive and take care noting dietary requirements. Comments on the steak from my guest, was that it was very good as well, nice presentation, adequate amount for lunch. My other guest enjoyed the Pot Stickers. Catering for our company events is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.