The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering
#102 550 6th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P0S2Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greenbeancatering.com/dining/
- Phone: (403) 232-1122
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30 am - 10:30 am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Patio in summertime, first come, first seated!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Whipp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: We have been downtown Calgary's corporate caterers for nearly two decades! Our catering menus are available on our website. www.greenbeancatering.com/catering
A word from The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering is the newly renovated home of Green Bean Catering, formerly in the Herald Building. In addition to our prolific corporate catering, we are now offering a full service dining room that serves breakfast weekdays from 6:30-10:30 and lunch from 11:00-2:30. Featuring hand made fresh foods, our own blend of coffee, 4 different beers on tap, boutique sourced beautiful wines that pair with the menu fabulously, and mouth watering desserts. The restaurant is available in evenings for private functions, please call to inquire!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (41)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (10)great for outdoor dining (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)special occasion (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Better than Catered Lunch MeetingsAnonymousDined on 11/7/2014Most downtown workers are familiar with Green Bean's catered sandwich lunches...nothing special, however the Green Bean Restaurant has better offerings on their restaurant menu. I had salad with salmon fillet and my friend had fish and chips. After ordering, I wondered if my salad would be the same as what Green Bean brings in to our office for lunch meetings...not at all. My salad was more upscale and the portion was huge. Green Bean's restaurant menu is definitely a notch higher than what they provide through catering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too slow for breakfastPimientikDined on 10/31/2014I made a reservation for 8 AM but we got there 10 minutes early. They didn't even ask me if I has a reservation, but that's ok, they gave us a table in minutes. They have a full menu and the waitress was very friendly. Lots of business men and very few women which wasn't a big deal. We placed the breakfast order around 8:10 AM and we got our breakfast almost at 9 AM. I think that this took too long for breakfast for three people. When we got our food, my friend's order was missing the fruit bowl and mine was missing the eggs and ham :(. however, the waitress apologized for it and gave us three cookies. I think they should pay attention to details and serve a little faster.
- Service is alway greatluv2dineDined on 10/28/2014I have been to the Green Bean quite a few times. Our office is 5 min away and we would come and have lunch on the patio throughout the summer. The food has always been quite good and it comes at a reasonable time so you can be in and out of there for your lunch hour. The chicken pot pie is always a favourite with our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Cool Atmosphere4foodloveDined on 10/17/2014Really enjoyed our lunch here. The services was prompt and friendly and the food looked and tasted great. Loved the well lit room snd black and white photographs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodFreshSeekerVIPDined on 10/2/2014First visit to The Green Bean Restaurant and Catering and absolutely loved the food. Everything was so fresh and flavorful it was truly a great dining experience.Special Features:
- lunchPeerkeDined on 10/2/2014Another good lunch place. I would defenitely go back, quite so gives you a chance to talk. Food is Ok, same applies for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014The food was great. Our server was very friendly and very welcoming. She was also really informed and helpful with the menu items. I wish I stopped in earlier. The only downfall is the dining area. It's very echoey (sp?) and the cracked concrete floors, bad paint, doesn't add any appeal. I hope it's because they are still in process of renovation and just maybe ran out of funds for the time being ??? However, this definitely will not be a deterrent for me to go back.Special Features:
- TCLandDined on 9/25/2014We went the Green Bean for a working lunch. The space is nice and bright, cozy but still allows for conversation. Service was prompt, helpful and happy . The menu had a nice selection of lunch meals . We both order the Beanador Salad and were really pleased with the presentation, size and taste. Delicious! I would definetly go there again.Special Features:
- First visit to great lunch spotrundivaDined on 9/12/2014I needed a walking-distance restaurant for a last-minute business lunch. I found that The Green Bean has space available to thought I would take a chance and try it. Everything about it was great - the staff were prompt & friendly, the food was tasty and the pricing was diner-friendly. My companion and I did find it a bit on the noisy side, but given that it was a Friday at lunchtime, that is not entirely surprising. I will go back here again, both for business and personal meals in the future.Special Features:
- Great Service - Perfect for LunchEatOutVIPDined on 9/8/2014I love the Green Bean - perfect location for me, so bright and clean. The food is good with a nice variety on the menu and items changing with the seasons; service is great so you can count on being out in a reasonable time if you need to. A great place for catching up with a friend or having a business lunch.Special Features:
- RobyneDined on 8/26/2014Was a little disappointed with food on this visit. Waitress indicated there was a new chef. I'm not sure if he/she is a chef or cook as soup came out covered in parsley and you couldn't se the soup or tell what kind it was.Special Features:
- RobyneDined on 8/18/2014Food is very fresh and portions are very generous! Definitely a great place for lunch. Service was also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceshashaDined on 8/11/2014Went with 2 Ladies from work, and all the dishes we had were perfect.!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eggs bennyaneworDined on 7/31/2014If you are an eggs benny fan this is the place to go. The eggs were cooked perfectly and the sauce was perfection. I would go again just for that. If,good coffee too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the The Green Bean Restaurant & Catering reviews archive.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014Your benosalad is absolutely horrible. I did not expect to get day old chicken shredded not cubed as stated on the menu. Huge waste of money! Your restaurant is at a great location but that's all it's got going for it. Looking for another restaurant where you get fresh food!!
- LovesToEatOutDined on 6/17/2014Great service, delicious food, nice decor. Pleased to have such quick service, especially at lunch during work day. Overall, really enjoyed the experience. We were a group of five and all of us said we would definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShonasTastesDined on 6/11/2014This is my favorite place to go for lunch. The Ceasar Salad is AMAZING. Best dressing ever!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/10/2014Good wholesome food. Great for business lunch - in and out. Service is quick and efficient. My only question this time around was that I asked them not to bother with the rice and add a few extra vegetables. They brought rice. That can happen at busy lunchtimes though and it will not stop me going back. Serving staff are outgoing and chatty. This is not the high skirt, low neckline, overpriced and marginal downtown lunch restaurant but if a professional, friendly business lunch is what you are after with really good food, this one works exceptionally well.Special Features:
- Great ServiceBrendaDined on 6/6/2014The service was awesome. The serving staff were friendly, efficient and very professional. I would definitely go back just for the service but the food was very tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014As I had frequently ordered catering from this restaurant, I wanted to try the actual restaurant. They had NO record of our reservation through Open Table but managed to squeeze the four of us in as I arrived a bit before 12 noon. The service was wonderful and the food was very quick - we did not need to rush through the lunch. It became very busy quickly. Unfortunately the noise level was very high which made conversations difficult.Special Features:
- Outdoor luncheon finally!TansayDined on 5/14/2014INALLY could eat outdoors. The patio at The Green Bean is on a busy street, but we weren't aware of major noise. The tables are close together; 2 tables nearby were having to figure out how to seat everyone and it looked a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. The server was gracious and helpful. My friend thoroughly enjoyed her beef dip with potato pumpkin mashed potatoes. My Reuben was seriously overstuffed with meat (I could have happily done with half.) While tasty it was quite soggy on the bottom; I don't think the sauerkraut was not well enough drained. Rather than hot mustard they used grainy mustard. The spinach salad was lovely, just a light dressing and the strawberries were lovely. So all in all, it was a good outing.
- The Green Bean DelightbeansproutDined on 5/9/2014I love this restaurant. The food is consistantly good and the service is outstanding every time I go. I would definitely recommend The Green Bean for lunch. The staff here honestly feel like family.Special Features:
- Solid BreakfastmeatnvegVIPDined on 5/7/2014Homestyle service and food offerings make this a good breakfast option. It was very quiet when we visited so hard to review anything other than the food which was "solid" Great fresh squeezed grapefruit tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchjmckDined on 4/14/2014We had great service, and the food was fantastic and the price was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, Lovely AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Always love having lunch here. The specials are always fantastic. Only problem is the service is always slow.Special Features:
- I had the autumn salad withLipmanVIPDined on 2/28/2014I had the autumn salad with chicken - it was really good! The only negative was our waitress (red hair) that forgot to bring our water, took away our plates while we were still eating (yes, actually) and also took away my tea bag while I was drinking tea. Came back and asked if i wanted more hot water for my tea ........... but my tea bag was taken away! LOL Oh well, maybe she just started waitressing! Food was good! But the draft was so cold everytime someone came into the restaurant!Special Features:
- Great lunch placeOliviaVIPDined on 2/20/2014Great food, outstanding service! I had the halibut and chips and it was excellent. Quick too. Glad this place is on Open Table and I think it's also new to being open as a restaurant- as opposed to the catering business. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love your veggies!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014While I am not a vegetarian I most often come back here for the quality of their veggies. My go-to dishes for lunch are the Turkey Pot Pie and the Maple Salmon as they are delicious and satisfying. When lunching on my own my preference is to have lunch sitting up at the long bar watching the movies that are projected on the wall with no sound (mostly black and white movies which are great fun]. The staff are friendly and professional and often while at the bar for lunch the kitchen staff pop out for a cool drink of water and ask if I am enjoying my meal which is a really nice touch indeed. Looking forward to my next visit already. Regards ColetteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/18/2014I have been to the Green Bean Restaurant a few times, and I have always had a good meal, and great service. This is quickly becoming my new favorite restaurant!Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphereMaryVIPDined on 2/13/2014Went for lunch and it was great. The food was great and it was not too noisy so we could actually talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodshashaDined on 2/11/2014It was by far the best Beef Dip I have had in CalgarySpecial Features:
- On the fenceMochiDined on 2/7/2014I really want to like this place but both times I've had the feature and had to send it back. Both salmon, so I'm not sure if fish is not their thing. I couldn't even eat my meal today. It was a bad piece of fish that never should've made it out of the kitchen. The server was gracious and offered to bring me something else, and took it off my bill. Service is great here. Just wary of trying it again due to the quality of the food. Last time I had salmon as well and it was dry and bland. If I do go back, it won't be for the salmon.
- Look forward to trying all itemsMS77Dined on 1/31/2014Food was very tasty, service was great, very quick with the order. I've been twice now and have enjoyed both menu items. The Bean Burger was a bit heavy on the BBQ sauce, for next time i would ask for less. Look forward to going back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent for group lunchespalanteDined on 1/24/2014Have been in this place a few times. Always consistent on their quality of service, food and timing. I got a table for 6, an hour before I showed up for lunch. They were expecting us and ready to serve us. I needed quick service because I needed to leave early and they did our lunches right away. Great quality and excellent service. The only think is that is that is quite noise and sound seems to bounce all over (concrete floors and large open cealing. Other than that, I would go again! Thanks!Special Features:
- Fantastic!MonicaVIPDined on 1/23/2014My client recommended this restaurant for a breakfast meeting and it was perfect. The service was fantastic and the food was healthy and awesome. I will definitely return to the Green Bean. I am new to Calgary so I am thrilled to find such a great breakfast place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, Fish and ChipsHappyDinerVIPDined on 1/8/2014So delicious! Staff is very friendly and accommodating but not pushy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New go to restauranttboneDined on 12/16/2013I went to Green Bean for the first time this week with a friend. I had the turkey pot pie which was delicious and apparently they make the turkeys every day! The dish included lightly stir fried carrots and brocolli and a dab of mashed. The meal was just right for me for lunch. Not too big but not too small. Service was prompt. I shall return.Special Features:
- Have the SaladHMMcVeanDined on 11/26/2013Any of the salads are excellent. The toasted sourdough was outstanding. Service - A+Special Features:
- Great food but noisyTrillDined on 11/8/2013First visit to this restaurant after reading good reviews. Lunch time visit was very noisy so made it difficult to have a conversation. It was full, but the hard surroundings do nothing to absorb the noise. Do not expect somewhere comfortable to sit and relax. The food was very good, but with a 12 :30 booking the daily special was already sold out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Item missinglunchVIPDined on 11/8/2013Dang menu changes, was so looking forward to the chicken with smoked gouda and it was gone from the menu. Ended up with a chicken burger but no comparision. Great service ThanksSpecial Features: