The Gramercy Tap
400 Walnut St.
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Gramercy Tap
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gramercytap.com/
- Phone: 5152889606x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11am - 2pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm
Bar/Lounge: Tuesday - Friday 11am - 12:00am Happy Hour 4 - 6pm.
Saturday 5pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef's Table on the mezzanine level for up to 20. Banquet facilities for up to 400.
- Private Party Contact: Carter Hutchison 5152889606x
- Entertainment: Live music occasionally Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights. See Facebook page for details.
A word from The Gramercy Tap
The Gramery Tap is an energetic Gastropub in an eclectic urban space in downtown Des Moines. A menu designed to fit any palate and any budget; Appetizers, salads & soups from $5-$11; specialty burgers & sandwiches from $8-$13; Entrees $11-$16; Chef's Specialties $24-$29. Specialty Drink Menu and a Late Night Menu til Midnight on weekends!Continued
The high energy cocktail lounge, the semi-private "Chef 's Tables" on the mezzanine, and the open, comfortable dining room are the perfect settings no matter the occasion.
The high energy cocktail lounge, the semi-private "Chef 's Tables" on the mezzanine, and the open, comfortable dining room are the perfect settings no matter the occasion.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Gramercy Tap - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
The Gramercy Tap reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)good for groups (7)romantic (6)neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Food had to be sent back, salad was ordered without salami but still came with it. When returned after asking for it to be removed the salad was just lettuce and dressing. When asked where the blue cheese, tomatoes, and scallions were the server didn't agree that other things came on the salad. Server said she would check with the kitchen and came back with a plate of tomatoes to add. This was especially odd as when we arrived at 6:00 we were the only table, unless the kitchen was missing staff I don't know why they would be under stress.
- Great Restaurant for GroupsceolsenDined on 6/14/2014they were able to accommodate a large group for a bachelorette party.Special Features:
- Sweetthing1Dined on 6/9/2014My husband and I always enjoy dining at The Gramercy! The food, service, ambiance is always 5 stars! We always seem to order the pasta which is so very delicious, will have to try something different next time!gSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jason RosaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Everything about the Gramercy makes me happy! The atmosphere is relaxed and sophisticated at the same time. The food is amazing, and everything I've tried so far has been delicious and a great value. It's a great spot for a date night or for a group of friends. I enjoy the convenience of being close to the Civic Center and Wells Fargo Arena as well.Special Features:
- cafsDined on 5/23/2014The Asian chicken salad was not fantastic, but every appetizer is great! The beef sandwich is also awesome! Salt and vinegar fries are a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hideaway: good or bad?greenfoodDined on 5/9/2014When we got there at 6:15 for our reservation, we were the only customers in the restaurant. The server was quick to stop by and responsive to our wants, but when I asked for a little bit of time, he disappeared for about 10 minutes. I had the special, which was a salmon stuffed with roast crab, served with potatoes and spinach. The salmon and the spinach were HEAVILY salted, but the potatoes helped to balance that out (thankfully). My date had the beef tips, which he called unremarkable. As we were leaving around 7:30, the place was starting to fill up with several large parties. I would imagine they do okay business, but it felt almost creepy to enter a restaurant during what is normally the "dinner rush" and find so many open seats.Special Features:
- The following 75 reviews are from the The Gramercy Tap reviews archive.
- A very nice findWingsDined on 5/1/2014We have never been there before and found the menu to be very interesting, and the food very good. We will return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014The food was very good and the ambiance kind of New Yorkish in a really good way!Unfortunately the server we had was not good. Service was slow and sporadic. This is very unfortunate as it is a fun spot, good food and good downtown location. I will go back hoping to get another server who can do a better job!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014We had a great time. Despite one of our choices for a meal was not available, the substitute was delicious. Service was good. Will be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyAmVandersDined on 3/19/2014My husband and I have gone here on multiple occassions. We've gone late at night, for lunch, and for special occasions. We always enjoy our food and service. The duck is fantastic as well as the risotta. We've also really enjoyed all of the appetizers and drinks we have shared. We very much recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing MemorableDMFoodieDined on 3/14/2014We recently visited Gramercy Tap on a Friday night. The vacancy of the dining area during peak dinner hours should have been a clue. While the service was good enough, the food was simply nothing to rave about. It was mediocre in flavor and presentation. Our server was too busy entertaining her child to attend to her customers. The crab and scallop cakes seemed to be lacking scallops, the bun for the namesake Gramercy burger was cold and stale, the burger itself was so-so, in the end, the only thing on the table worth noting was the side of polenta. Simply put, when spending $100 on dinner for 2 people that consists of 1 burger, 2 appetizers, a side dish, and 3 cocktails it's just not worth it.
- A pleasurable eveningRobbyGDined on 3/13/2014Gramercy is slightly off the beaten path, just outside the Court Ave district on Walnut, but it's definitely worth finding and trying. I've been twice now. Once was extremely busy and once we were nearly the only patrons. Both times the service and food were exceptional, and they've earned our return business. The name "Tap" is a little misleading in my mind - though they do have ten or so beers on tap, including one or two locals, the choices are... cautious, maybe. However the food is amazing and they do good cocktails as well, so I am content.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!MarcusDined on 2/22/2014Went to dinner before a show at the Civic Center. The food was great and reasonable! Service was a little slow, but other than that, a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the Gramercy BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014I love the Gramercy burger. Possibly the best burger in town. The server talked me into keeping the pâté butter. It is the secret ingredient!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine dinner date nightIndiaDined on 2/15/2014We were seated right away. Our food courses arrived at a timely manner. The stuffed mushrooms were awesome . My husband thought the prime rib was cooked just right and that the squash was a very nice compliment to the meat. The lemon pound cake with blueberries was perfect. The wine list is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So So Night for 4 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014The waitress was great. The stuffed mushrooms were very good. The drinks were very good. The Prime Rib was very fatty and was anywhere from medium well to rare (ordered medium rare). Very disappointing. The Sautéed Skate Wing (very bland) with a seafood studded polenta (good but very salty), roasted grape tomatoes, grilled artichoke concassé (cold) & a shellfish nage was just OK. The Ricotta stuffed & oven roasted chicken breast w/ homemade marinara sauce (good) & creamy polenta (way too salty), just OK. The Ratatouille pasta with penne, wood oven roasted vegetables, chicken sausage & basil pesto was very good according to our group member who order it. Next time we will try the sandwich side of the menu.Special Features:
- Overpriced for mediocre meal75buc4dinnerDined on 2/14/2014For $75 you could give out a basket of bread. Prime rib should always come with a baked potato. We came just for the creme brulee. We ordered it, then in the middle of the meal she say's they are out of them and are making more. At the end of the meal she says, it's not hardened yet in the cold water. They could have put it outside in the -5 and chilled it faster. She ended up bringing tiramisu with coffee poured on the plate under it and blueberries over it that don't go with coffee. She never came back to refill the soda we had to catch a food runner to do it.Special Features:
- Our Funny ValentineZeus4ArmageddonDined on 2/14/2014We chose Gramercy Tap from a short list of available tables for Valentine's Day. In this case, it paid to procrastinate. They featured a three course prix fixe for $35. I picked a smoked salmon martini as a first course, and my wife pounced on the lobster bisque. The bisque featured decadent chunks of lobster and the "martini" surpassed my expectations. It came in a martini glass with a topper of lox type smoked salmon rolled tight rising from the center. The surprise came at the bottom -- a second layer of wonderful wet-smoked salmon. I almost laughed when I hit it. I enjoyed the apple-stuffed pork and my wife loved the fried veggie pasta. We topped off the evening with chocolate creme broulee and lemon pound cake with blueberries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasions!Isu4angelaDined on 2/14/2014Last minute change of plans for valentines day and found this restaurant on opentable. Fantastic valentines menu, the prime rib was juicy and had an amazing taste. The real dinner winner was the apple stuffed porkchop, well worth getting! Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, menu too bigfreetimefoodieDined on 2/7/2014The location is wonderful and ambiance is stellar. We started with solid drinks, a Flirtini and Jameson and soda. We ordered the bacon wrapped dates with Maytag blue cheese to start. This was the best part of our dinner. The bacon was crisp with just the perfect hint of blue cheese. I ordered the NY Strip. I should have known better because I prefer a more lean cut filet, but the sauce and sides were what lept out at me. I ordered it medium rare, which it did come out that way; however, it was not given enough time to rest and it bled all over my plate and sides, making the dish very unappealing. My wife ordered the cheese-stuffed chicken. It looked and tasted bland. Our server was uninspiring and seemed disinterest in serving us.Special Features:
- Great before Civic Center Show!mhotmailDined on 1/24/2014My wife and I recently dined at the Gramercy Tap before a Friday night show at the Civic Center. I had made reservations, but 5:30 was not a problem for us to get a comfortable booth away from the bar. The drink selections were good and service was excellent. Both our entree's were well prepared and the portions were the right size. We will definitely be back and I would refer this place to a friend.Special Features:
- Dining out with the familyHairball88Dined on 1/4/2014Overall the food was good, atmosphere warm and inviting. Thought the corking fee was a little steep $15 a bottle. Waiter was good, but a little short with water refills. I'd go again, however two guest weren't wild about the pasta dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Food, Poor ServiceMonicaDined on 12/31/2013First time at Gramercy Tap was New Year's Eve; was disappointment. Beer/wine/cocktail list was limited, which would be OK if it was creative. Mussels were good, fries OK; other food was just OK. Worst was service. We arrived at 8:15 for dinner, ordered appetizers, more drinks, then dinner. Half way through dinner (literally with forks to mouth), server asked to clear plates and if we wanted dessert. We said no to the plate clearing, but yes to dessert, which arrived in minutes with the check; dinner plates were still on the table (was now 10:00 p.m.). Dessert (lemon pound cake) was dry, grainy and lemon sauce tasted oddly fake. Clearly didn't want diners in dining room later on NYE; I won't be back.
- ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Got in on a New Years reservation. Excellent service, excellent food, excellent experience! Very classy and not over-priced. I will return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Early-Great Atmosphere/ServiceCylieMyrusDined on 12/21/2013Rather than exchanging gifts with my in-laws, we've gone to taking them out on the town, typically for a show and dinner at one of Des Moines' finer establishments. This year, Gramercy fit the bill and we were not disappointed. We had 6:00 reservations in order to catch an 8:00 show and though I wouldn't typically go out to eat that early in the evening, it worked out great. We were one of five parties dining at that time so the restaurant was quiet and the servers unpressured, making for leisurely drinks, conversation and meal. While everything on the menu has a unique twist in preparation or presentation, push the envelope and get the Skate Wing, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not overly impressedSpecialOccasionDined on 12/14/2013The menu looked decent enough though somewhat limiting for us to try as a birthday dinner. I, personally, was disappointed to find so many items to be fried and not baked. The artichoke dip was lacking substance, was the runniest I've ever had and was hard to eat with the thick, fried pita bread (not my definition of a pita chip). The members of our party who ordered steak were happy with the result. Those of us who tried other dishes were sorely disappointed. My ricotta stuffed chicken lacked the ricotta that drew me to the dish in the first place, and was tough enough that a knife was required with effort to cut through. An order of shrimp creole disappointed with only three meager pieces of shrimp.Special Features:
- We've had good luck hereHans111Dined on 12/13/2013We've had dinner at Gramercy Tap twice; once as a couple, once a group of six. The menu is interesting and the food is well prepared and very flavorful. Desserts don't disappoint either. Our group of six hadn't seen one another for a long time and we wanted a quiet place to catch up--Gramercy was perfect. The atmosphere was more sophisticated and upscale when the space was Azalea but it's still pleasant and it's super-convenient to the Civic Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Featured Soup Not AvailableWineDineDebVIPDined on 12/10/2013Was disappointed that the sundried tomato bisque was not available. It's always been a staple on the menu. Six of us were attending the Civic Center and we all wanted to order their soup and at 5:30 on a Tuesday nite they were out of their soup. Great location, convenient for attending the Civic Center. Typically restaurants are crowded before the Broadway shows and by the number of tables available it's obvious this place needs to tweak its operations.Special Features:
- disappointedKevinDined on 12/6/2013Our group was very disappointed in the quality of food. Everyone that works there is great. But, for your price point of food the quality was horrible. We will not be back again for dining but maybe for drinks.
- JohnGOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2013Had a group of 12 business associates. Had a nice table set up in the middle, made things easier for my workmates to find the group. Had attentive service and felt no pressure to hurry over our drinks and appetizers. Offered enough variety on menu that everyone found something to their liking. Might want to add a couple of specific vegetarian items other than pasta. Close to parking and can access from the skywalk. Overall a good choice for a group or just two. Reasonable prices, good food, and easy access.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the food and atmosphereCandDDined on 10/19/2013We had a booth which was very comfortable and private yet allowed a nice view of the restaurant. It was not busy for a Saturday evening so we had very attentive service. Food was tasty. Our waitress recommended the scallop and crab cakes as an appetizer and they were perfect! I expected a larger draft beer listing since the place has tap in its name but the selection they did have was adequate. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantSweetthing1Dined on 10/5/2013Wonderful downtown restaurant with a nice variety of selections on the menu. Very close walking distance to the Civic Center. Can accommodate small or large groups of people. Food was outstanding and service was excellent. This restaurant is a keeper!Special Features:
- Good Food but tough for groupKevinDined on 9/18/2013We had a party of 14 here. The food was great. The table we sat at was too small for us, which was irritating because the place was pretty empty. I ordered apps for the table, but there were not enough for everyone. It would have been good to get a little more direction with that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok, nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/10/2013Maybe it was because it was a Tuesday but we were the only diners, which was really disconcerting. The food was ok, the service quie good, but I wouldn't go back.
- Delicious!QrtneDined on 8/30/2013Hubby & I went for my birthday dinner on the suggestion of my brother. I tried the duck...a first for me. Very tender and flavorful. The risotto with cherries was fabulous! Hubby got the special. A steak that had been marinated, smoked and THEN grilled. Amazing! Our waiter was friendly & chatty, but not overly so. Loved the ambiance. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal recentlydogboDined on 8/1/2013Enjoyed our meal recently at Gramercy Tap. We saw a show at the Civic Center and this is a great location that allowed us to park once and eat dinner and then walk to the show. Only compliant was that I ordered my burger medium and it came medium well -to well done. My wife's stuff chicken entree was wonderfull.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RespectableGoodFoodVIPDined on 7/31/2013I had a later night reservation - food was a good quality - Duck is very tasty - the beef brisket sandwich was good, but very rich - a few bites and you really did not want anymore. Would come back to this restaurant to try other creations.Special Features:
- We often choose the GramercyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2013We often choose the Gramercy Tap when we are going to the Civic Center. The food is consistently delicious and the wait staff are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting moreIdineDined on 7/27/2013and was disappointed. Average from beginning to end.
- Wow!RABRRAIdiner2013Dined on 7/23/2013It was a great experience. So many great choices,an interesting mix of flavors and spices. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.