The Grain House Restaurant
225 Rt 202
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Grain House Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldemillinn.com/
- Phone: (908) 221-1150
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Luca Carvello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering is available
A word from The Grain House Restaurant
The Grain House Restaurant is located on the picturesque 10-acre estate of the Olde Mill Inn in Basking Ridge, NJ. The structure was originally built as a barn in the 1760’s and was used to store grain for American Revolutionary soldiers. The barn was later moved to its current location and opened as a restaurant in the 1930’s. Today, the Grain House is a renowned restaurant in North/Central New Jersey, with a comfortable, casual ambiance. The restaurant serves innovative, traditional and contemporary interpretations of American cuisine with some added international accents, prepared under the direction of executive chef Luca Carvello. Delicious homemade desserts complete the menus, which are revised several times a year. Outdoor patio dining and fireside dining are available in season. The restaurant offers lunch and dinner daily, as well as a special brunch/lunch menu offered on Saturdays from 11 AM to 4 PM. An expansive brunch buffet is available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Grain House Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Basking Ridge ›
The Grain House Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)great for brunch (16)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good foodKelliDined on 11/15/2014The food at the Grain House has never let me down. My husband had the fish special ("excellent") and I had the Griggstown Chicken (also excellent). The French Onion soup is one of the best I've ever had. Dessert is huge, so make sure you share! Service was very good, very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialPlaceDined on 11/15/2014I love the atmosphere of this place. The rooms are cozy with the warm feel of an Inn. The food is excellent - great price. My Mom and have this place as our tradition for those special Mother -Daughter dates. The people are nice, genuine and professional. Very enjoyable. Thank you. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchRaggyboysVIPDined on 11/10/2014Went to the Grain House for a business lunch (client’s suggestion) food was good and service was attentive only issue was noise level which made it hard to hold our conversation.Special Features:
- GregDined on 11/1/2014This was the perfect spot to try on a chilly Fall day. The dining room was spacious and cozy with rich wood work and a blazing fireplace that accompanied the meal. The staff were friendly, attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious dininggastrogirlDined on 11/1/2014We were five women, all old friends. Everyone of us enjoyed the restaurant immensely. The food was wonderful and the ambiance would be hard to beat anywhere! We plan to all go back and get some of that goodness!Special Features:
- Grain House GoodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2014We went to the Grain House on a Sunday evening to enjoy the warm atmosphere and to see how the food stacked up since our last visit. We weren't disappointed, the dining room is cozy with a large gas fireplace along with the historical building and decor. I had the Salmon over Thai noodles which was very tasty, I couldn't get enough of the delicious sauce. Another diner had the Stuffed Shrimp and said it was also very good. We shared the apple pie with cinnamon ice cream which was yummy. We will go back again to this old stand by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Sunday BrunchgladnerDined on 10/26/2014The Brunch options were varied and all excellent. The cheeses were especially good to me. My wife loved all the cup cakes available for dessert. Excellent service too.Special Features:
- A Great FindOpenTableDiner1VIPDined on 10/19/2014My family and I were apple picking at Wightman's Farm late one afternoon when as we left, my kids were hungry for an early dinner. I checked the OT app and this restaurant was less than a mile away. We decided to give it a try and we were very pleased that we did. The setting had the charm of an old farm house and the staff was warm and welcoming. They were very attentive and went out of their way to make sure that we were taken care of. Our food was great and our kids had an outstanding meal. We will definitely return with the kids as well as without them to have a romantic dinner just ourselves.Special Features:
- Excellent Brunch in Colonial RoomsdinerDined on 10/12/2014The grain house has long been an icon of colonial atmosphere together with genial service and excellent food. The brunch is superb, complete with the usual brunch buffet, an omelet station and a carving station The food was fresh well cooked and hot. There are a variety of rooms and one can pick atmosphere from a colonial inn to a formal dining room. It's a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm glad we gave them another shot.MrWalrusVIPDined on 10/8/2014I was apprehensive about returning to The Grain House after the bad food we had during our last visit. Maybe they had a bad night back in May because the food was very good this time. The pumpkin chili & beers were perfect on a cool autumn evening. My wife's filet was cooked perfectly as was my burger. Service was great. Eric was our waiter and he was outstanding. He's friendly and is quick to offer suggestions or answer questions. This was our second experience with him and he impressed both times. One note for improvement is they need better appetizers. The few appetizers they offer are boring and just don't do it for us. I would like to see more creativity there. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 10/5/2014Very good quality food: local and very fresh. I'd say 3 1/2 to 4 stars on the food and very friendly and attentive service, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreCapeCrusaderDined on 9/19/2014I found the food mediocre, too heavy and rich and not much substance. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Family Get togetherDickVDDined on 9/14/2014We always enjoy meeting our NJ Family here when we visit from NC. The atmosphere is unique ( particularly since it is historic and our family were the original owners pre revolution, The Van Dorens). The food and service are outstanding. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- AwesomeMulliganmadnessDined on 8/24/2014Friendly staff, food was great atmosphere was romanticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMellsVIPDined on 8/10/2014The Sunday Brunch buffet had some delicious items: Eggs Benedict was good but the scrambled eggs and the Quiche tasted plain. A notable standout was the Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf - scrumptious! Smoked Salmon was good as well as the Buffalo Mozzarella with Tomato and balsamic. They could've used another server for the room we were in. Took a long time to get coffee service. All in all a nice Sunday Brunch experience.Special Features:
- Great Brunchjerseygirl51Dined on 8/10/2014Have been there several times for the Sunday brunch. Love it. A lot of great selections. Everything is always fresh and hot. Wonderful fruit and salad selections. A wonderful setting. It's just a warm and friendly place, have never had a bad experience. Love the Copper Pub Room. Can't wait to go back. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Will go backFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Good food good service. Nice atmosphere! My extended family from out of town requests to go here when they visit from Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the The Grain House Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Spot for ConnectingAEEGDined on 7/14/2014My team was coming from a variety of locations within New Jersey. This restaurant is conveniently located right off of the 287 Interstate with an easy access for everyone coming for the luncheon meeting. The food was great. The service attentive but not hovering. Just the right amount of noise/quiet and a wonderful lunch menu. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- Wonderful Experience!TrainerGalDined on 6/22/2014Four of us went here for their Sunday Brunch Buffet. They have 3 different rooms from which to choose your seating: formal, cozy and bar-like. We chose the cozy room. The food was very good, hot and inviting. The coffee was so good and liberally given! We made a 10:00 reservation and it was pretty empty inside. However, as the morning wore on, it got very crowded. Our favorite foods were the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and the eggs Benedict. Very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Plate for a DateMisterMotownDined on 6/18/2014Very nice history to The Grain House that adds a bit more to the elegant dining they provide. My date had no problem finding gluten-free options and the extensive wine list had her favorite Merlot. The service was on point and helpful, exactly the right amount for a date.Special Features:
- Father's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Had been here many times, mostly for business breakfast meetings. The Father's Day brunch was excellent, and probably not their typical Sunday fare. Great variety, from eggs Benedict to fried chicken and yummy cheese grits, delicious French toast, many salad options, perfect fresh fruit with berries and whipped cream, omelettes made to order, paninis and more. - it was a real feast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014The service was good but my cocktail was weak and I ordered the vegetarian dish and was kind of disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually BlandFourSeafoodersVIPDined on 6/3/2014Have eaten, here, more than 20 times in the last few years - typically quite good (especially the burgers and specials), but, this time, was unpleasantly surprised. The stuffed shrimp were low on flavor and the stuffing was almost entirely bread, and worse, pasty and mushy throughout. I actually scraped off the "crab stuffing" and ate the shrimp alone.... with salt. The langustino and orzo side was excellent, but it didn't make up for the poorly prepared shrimp. I will go back out of convenience and since it is typically good.... The service is also typically decent, but this night, my server seemed a bit off.
- TeryDined on 5/25/2014Food was average; rustic atmosphere but could use some updating. Service was pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipping...MrWalrusVIPDined on 5/12/2014Usually have great food and service here. Maybe it was a bad night, but given the latest reviews on multiple sites, it appears that subpar food and service is the norm at the Grain House. Management may want to retrain their wait staff and hire a new chef. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. Bottle of red wine was way too warm. Appetizers and salad were good. Steaks were not of a quality for the price, probably in the same category of Outback, and were not cooked properly (wife's was undercooked; mine was overcooked). Also, the staff allowed a child to run around and take items off set tables. This was both unsanitary and obnoxious to other guests. The staff should have intervened. I doubt I will be returning for dinner.Special Features:
- Mother's Day celebrationGailDined on 5/10/2014We all enjoyed ourselves. Menu was great. We weren't rushed and much it was quieter than it would have been on Sunday. Food was good. I find it to be consistently good each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grain HousesuretybabeDined on 5/9/2014Easy on/off from Route 287. Nice atmosphere and relatively quiet, we ate lunch in the bar. Good selections and the Grain House Salad was excellent. I added salmon and it was a sizable piece. Ate here last summer and sat outside; and it was too hot that day but otherwise a very pleasant outdoor area. I will return.Special Features:
- FabulousKelliDined on 5/3/2014My first experience at The Grain House was a celebration of Mother's Day for my mother-in-law. The food was fabulous, the service was great and the place is a gem. Despite the parties going on in other rooms, ours was quiet and made our dining experience enjoyable. We all had the fish of the day and I can't wait to go back and try menu items. It passed the in-law test, so it's a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love coming to theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2014Always love coming to the Grain House. Probably the best brunch we go to in NJ. And the price is remarkable for this level of dining.Special Features:
- The Grainhouse is a localOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2014The Grainhouse is a local favorite where the food is predictably good. It has a Colonial charm.Special Features:
- Wonderful atmosphereRobinDined on 3/18/2014Cozy, country like atmosphere. Good food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to table!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014The Grain House was a pleasant surprise! The ambience was rustic, country. We had a table by the fireplace and it was warm and cozy. Everything we ordered was fresh and delicious! You can really tell the difference!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened????DavidDined on 2/22/2014My wife and I have been eating at The Grain House regularly ever since we had our wedding reception there 15 years ago. While service has never been it's strong point (it's never been poor but it does tend to be rather slow and less attentive than I would like), the food has typically been very good to excellent. Our dinner last Saturday made me wonder if the entire kitchen staff had changed. Nothing was outright bad but both our appetizers and main courses were some of the most bland plates we've ever been served...especially at this restaurant. I really hope this was just a bad night and not a change of kitchen staff. We'll certainly try at least one more time but I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of this last meal.Special Features:
- Food was good but nothingMogoVIPDined on 2/19/2014Food was good but nothing great. Nice old tavern adds to the atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO TO BRUNCH HUNGRYFOODMOMVIPDined on 2/16/2014Went to brunch not knowing that the buffet was the only option. What a spread!!! Everything you can imagine and mite including omlette station. Salads French toast pasta and a full dessert table. Price was very reasonable and it included coffee and mimosaSpecial Features:
- go to place.................slja12Dined on 2/16/2014We are always looking for a great brunch place, where we can share and enjoy with a wide range of friends and family. This is aces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful choice for a snowy nightelliekathDined on 2/15/2014Beautiful dining area, wonderful food. Menu covers all the bases but is not too extensive. Be ready for loud parties/weddings in the back rooms while dining, but it is a very convivial atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Wife & I Enjoy Coming InBIGVIGDined on 2/14/2014My Wife & I Enjoy Coming In On Special Occasions. We Came In On Valentines Day At 6:15 And Were Seated Rite Away. The Hostess Was Very Nice. Our Waitress Leah Was The BEST! The Food Was Very Good. However, The Noise Level From The Bar Made It Hard To Be Romantic. We Do Not Mind The Price Of The Wine By The Glass, However We Expect At Least 1/2 A Glass. My Wife Had Three Glasses Of White Wine, ALL Were 1/3 At Best! And The Host Did Not Have A Jacket On, And Was Leaning & Sitting On The Steps Area Quit Often. Very Unprofessional! We Will Be Back Though, We Love The Country Early American Ambiance. Tony & Brenda VigoritoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kind of dissappointing foodwiseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014the food was well prepared and made from quality indredients. but wasn't a good selection. there should always be a good fish, salmon, tilapia, etc. on the menu. very unique specific dishes but there there also be some safe selections. especially on valentines day, i mean who orders burgers on valentines day at a century old restaurant. usually some a nice cut or a fish. I had the filet and that was ok, but not that great either. another note, on the kids menu a pb and j sandwich is 9 bucks..... seriously? not a good deal for families so keep it to the adults. overall it was ok. the buildingis nice and clean but the food didn't work very well.Special Features:
- We love the Grain House!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2014We dine at the Grain House often, usually for lunch, but on special occasions for dinner too!! We love that the menu changes frequently so it is always a different experience each time you go. The food is very good quality at very reasonable prices. We do not have any food issues, but like the fact that the menu indicates whether a dish is good for vegetarians, or gluten free, etc. as I do have friends that are. There are two areas to dine in, the slightly more formal restaurant, and the quaint, pub feel side. Either offers a lovely dining experience. The service has always been friendly, discreet, and efficient. We dined there on Saturday to celebrate my husband's birthday with our two teenage daughters and had a lovely time.Special Features: