216 5th street
Los Angeles, CA 90013Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegorbalsla.com/
- Phone: 2134883408x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, International
- Executive Chef: IIan Hall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live bands Thursday evenings 10:30 - 2am.
- Cross Street: 5th & Spring
- Public Transit: Metro Red Line Pershing Square,
Metro Bus 83, 16, 18, 53, 728
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking in the garage underneath the Alexandria Hotel, Joe's parking across the street and street parking all available on Spring Street between 5th & 6th (Spring St is one-way heading south).
A word from The Gorbals
Started by 2007 “TOP CHEF” winner, Chef Ilan Hall, The Gorbals is not limited to a certain ethnicity, preparation method or niche. The Gorbals is a spot for new and diverse ideas, for tasty, oddball food that is there for anyone willing to eat something that does not fall into a category. It is not an Italian restaurant, or an Indian restaurant, or a Scottish restaurant, or a Los Angeles restaurant, nor is it new age, traditional, old school, fusion, pretentious or plain.Continued
It is simply The Gorbals.
It is simply The Gorbals.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gorbals reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelEnergetic
- LOVED This PlaceOfmascheroniVIPDined on 5/30/2014I had never been to the Gorbals before but it easily became my new favorite spot in Los Angeles. Fantastic! Can't wait to go back and try everything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon Wrapped Matzo Balls?!DrinkableFeastDined on 5/17/2014The menu works for groups to share. We had the lamb meatballs with pesto risotto, the aged burger / onion 7 ways, duck confit latkes, bahn mi poutine fries, tomato fries, bacon wrapped matzo balls and finished with the sticky toffee pudding. Everything we tried was delicious! We were all left very satisfied. Make sure to try one of the unique house cocktails!Special Features:
- DinnerEatsDined on 5/7/2014Great food and friendly staff that went over the menu with youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great unusual must try foodfoodieDined on 5/1/2014We ordered a bunch of stuff during the happy hour -- favorites were the french fries called poutane or something, that came with gravy, some fabulous tender meat, pickles of all things; the matzo balls wrapped in bacon with a horseradish sauce, the brocolli cooked in soy and stuff and a must the toffee bread pudding with bacon ice cream. We had to order seconds. Definitely for foodiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- F%*king IncrediblefatcityDined on 5/1/2014Everything about The Gorbals was incredible, but the food was really the star (as it should be at a restaurant). Every single dish I ate was an experience I had never tasted before and was absolutely delicious. I will never be satisfied again at a different restaurant for the rest of my life. I traveled from NY to LA and this was my top priority and I was not disappointed at all. The ambiance and the service were amazing too. I'm also a fan of the show "Knife Fight" so it was really cool to see where the show takes place and hear more about it from the server. Drop what you're doing and go to The Gorbals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night good foodalibVIPDined on 4/24/2014We came during a night with live music which was great fun. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Spot Before or After a ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/19/2014We came early on a Saturday night and had no problem getting out in time for our 8:00 pm show. They were getting more crowded as we left. The two of us had broccoli, beets and burrata, lamb meatballs, and the bacon-wrapped matzoh balls. We didn't have room for more, including dessert. The servings were more than ample for us. While the food was definitely tasty, the drinks were outstanding. My friend had the It's Bourbon, Honey and loved it. I had a gin and Japanese pear drink, not sure of the name, and it was really good. Love to come back to try more menu items and definitely more of their yummy drinks. We found lot parking for $6 nearby. Service was attentive. We plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceCBelaDined on 4/19/2014We had a little bit of trouble finding the restaurant, but it was worth the hunt. Being a foodie with food allergies is not a good thing. You go to a restaurant with a great chef, you ask him to tailor his great dishes; then tailored greatness seems an insurmountable challenge. This chef rose to the occasion with aplomb. All was tasty and well spiced, despite omitting meat, dairy and onion and going light on the oil. I have to comment on the latter. In other places, I have received vegetables soaked in oil such that the vegetable's flavor is buried; here none of our dishes suffered from this problem. The service was phenomenal at every moment, including when our server chased us after we forgot our take-away bags.Special Features:
- Monday evening;empty but great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/14/2014Went on a Monday early evening and found the place vert empty, just 2 tables of 2, so the energy was way down. The food was spectacular, so I would come back w/o any hesitation, but would do so at a more lively time if that was what I was looking for. We left around 8 and the place was ten more filled, maybe 2 larger tables and a few people at the bar, but still pretty empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SERVICE: The waitress wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014SERVICE: The waitress was great, but for some reason the kitchen was backed up 35 minutes so we had to wait to order food. Did not have to wait for drinks, though--- thoroughly entertained. And great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised.bklyndinerVIPDined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed our dinner at The Gorbals. Menu was creative, food well prepared and delicious. Ordered the hamachi, brussels sprouts (good but Talde and Chucos in Brooklyn both beat these), golden beets, lamb meatballs (yum) and the cauliflower salad. All enjoyable. The three of us agreed that we would return. The entrance to the restaurant is a bit off-putting. We assume that will change!Special Features:
- lots of funhungrymeVIPDined on 4/5/2014Get the burger with onions and skip the matzoh balls with bacon!Special Features:
- Wonderful Chef!!ScallywagkweenDined on 4/5/2014We sat at the chef's bar and were delighted to watch him create these wonderful dishes. Can't wait to go back to try them all!! The chef has great passion for his food and for his customers. Nice!!Special Features:
- Great time with great food...MTSoahlsDined on 3/24/2014Don't let the entrance fool you. Once you wander down the hallway to the restaurant, you'll be pleasantly surprised. A secret hideaway, with a great variety of interesting food options and a warm, fun atmosphere. Very creative menu done by a creative chef. Definitely a great spot for after work drinks, or a nice secluded meal with your squeeze.Special Features:
- Great FoodCarlosQDined on 3/22/2014We had the Broccoli and it was amazingly good. The drinks were very good, specially the bourbon honey. One of my favorite drink now.Special Features:
- FantasticSteveDined on 3/14/2014Our waiter was fantastic, providing us with suggestions for food variety and amount (we would have ordered way too much if it wasn't for him). The happy hour deals are great and affordable. I was happy with everything our table received and left feeling extremely satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was looking forward to diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014I was looking forward to dining at The Gorbals, especially after watching Knife Fight. So glad we did! Everything was EXCELLENT! The hostess was nice, the bartenders, our server and the food. . . EXCELLENT! We ate a bit too much, but left with smiles . . . bacon wrapped matzo, hamachi, broccoli, lamb meatballs and the beef coulette! Oops! How could I forget dessert, the sticky toffy pudding was also quite amazing! Loved our cocktails, as well. Can't go wrong and we will be back!Special Features:
- Great FindFoodEDined on 2/25/2014Very inventive small plates, great flavor combinations. I particularly liked the mussels dish, though I am not a mussel fan. Menu changes often, but some items frequently stay on the menu (see LA Times-Irene Verbila's favorable review of "quirky" restaurant). Entrance currently is located south of the Lobby area of the Alexandria Hotel on the corner of 5th and Broadway, but a more direct entrance is being constructed through the bar area. At 6:30 pm we did not have to wait and there weren't many other diners, so the noise level was pretty low. But I understand that is not the case later. They brought us their "famous" sticky toffee pudding cake with a dollop of pistachio ice cream and a candle for hubby's b-day. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday meal with friendsJennDined on 2/17/2014The scallops were amazing. Sadly, the Tomato Fries weren't what we thought (they're potato fries with dehydrated tomato) and we ended up ordering two dishes with fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2014Had a nice DineLa dinner menu and good cocktail selection. I would recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awsome but...robertmagDined on 1/29/2014great food great setting beautiful building ... too many bumbs and parking sucked I would still make the 45 minute drive to dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive menu, friendly serviceLVTREVIPDined on 1/29/2014The DIneLa menu was wonderful...and we couldn't resist adding the bacon-wrapped matzo balls appetizer, which was unique and delicious. Friendly servers and casual atmosphere. A great pre-theater choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon Matzo balls! :)PeterYDined on 1/27/2014I came here for the first time for DineLA and they had a great menu. I was very pleased with the soup, beets & burrata, lamb meatballs, and the salmon was done very well! I'll be back to try more offerings soon! Come and try it!Special Features:
- The food was amazing. I wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014The food was amazing. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodJanetDined on 1/24/2014Went to this restaurant during Dine LA. The food was very good, the service was a bit slow but the waiters were very friendly and apologetic. The noise level is very loud almost as bad as Bottega Louie's.Special Features:
- Foodie adventurekriringaDined on 1/11/2014Going to the Gorbals is always a good time and an adventure, especially since I can never remember the entrance since it's inside the hotel. Sit at the kitchen if you can! And buy the kitchen a round of beers, of course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The pig headJimmyDined on 1/11/2014I've seen the show and I knew I had to go. The food was great and then out pig head came out! It was cooked perfect with a great presentation. I always try great restaurants when I travel and The Gorbals is definitely ranked in top of my long list of places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for The Gorbalshollywoodbe1Dined on 1/8/2014Nice hide away from long trip. Excellent food, family style. Nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorbals with FriendsPetrihatDined on 1/3/2014The gorbals never disappoints. The food is always amazing, the bacon wrapped matzo balls and lamb meatballs with pesto risotto were highlights. The bartender is great and the service amazing. One if my friends forgot his fedora and our server, Francisco, chased us down the street to return it. That's above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling adventurous?JosueDined on 12/27/2013From the menu to the environment, the Gorbals is not your typical restaurant. If you're open to something new, great food, and a chill environment, then you might like this. Plates are for sharing, and the staff brings your food out as they're ready.Special Features:
- Inventive ChefMapman62Dined on 12/20/2013My wife and I have been waiting to try the Gorbals for a long time, but haven't managed to get there. The food was outstanding. I had the marrow plate and we all shared the broccoli and hamachi (not that it matters to you because they continually change their menu). The service was fantastic in an informal and neighborhoody way. I highly recommend if you want to splurge a bit.Special Features:
- Good food, good peopledsssdDined on 12/18/2013One of the best restaurants in downtown I think. The tapas style menu is diverse and fun. Also happy hour is a pretty good deal so check that out -- especially the cider bourbon house infusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gorbals is PERFECTEricaDined on 12/13/2013After 3 years of living in LA, The Gorbals is still my favorite restaurant. It was the first place I ever ate at in LA, and I have come back with my fiancé many times, as well as all of our friends, for special dates or just because. Everything is superb, the service, the ambiance, and the ever changing menu that is made up of the most exquisite food imaginable. We consider this "our place," and will come here whenever we are able.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go and Get Those Balls!GoldieK4Dined on 11/30/2013I had been wanting to try Ilan Hall's restaurant for quite some time, and being a NY'er made it slightly difficult. However, once a year I work in Los Angeles so I took advantage of the opportunity. Man, oh, man, was I ever glad I did. I took 2 of my LA-based friends there, (they also were Gorbals' virgins) and the three of us ate like there was no tomorrow. DEFINITELY have the bacon-wrapped matzoballs - so soft, juicy and succulent; no soup is needed and without a doubt, get those brussel sprouts. We actually ordered 3 of them. The fig jam grilled cheese sandwich also is a MUST! We LOVED it! And then I come to find out that Ilan has moved and is opening up another Gorbals here in New York - in Brooklyn, April 2014. I can't wait!Special Features:
- Happy Hour supremeGandSVIPDined on 11/29/2013Walked out full and liquored up for 60 dollars for 2 of us. I would recommend trying everything on the Happy Hour menu and then getting a few drinks (EVERYTHING is half off). If you can get their around 6:00 - 7:00pm sit at the kitchen table and strike up a conversation with the chefs, it is worth it. My absolute favorite food was the chili broccoli. I actually ordered it twice in one visit.Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureMurphDined on 11/22/2013The restaurant is hidden inside the Alexandria Hotel. Once we found our way in, we realized its charm. This place was perfect for our Friday night date. Our server was very attentive and full of suggestions. We had the brussel sprouts, fries, and bone marrow. Everything was delicious. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad servicelaeaterDined on 11/16/2013They messed up our reservation (along with many others it seemed), and told us that it would be about an hour before we could sit and that even then the kitchen would be slow because they were overbooked. The hostess blamed it on Open Table, which may or may not have been true. But instead of acting gracefully and kindly (or perhaps offering us free drinks while we wait!)... the hostess told us that we could leave and come back. I almost thought she was joking so I asked 'where should we go' to which she responded 'I don't know'. We left immediately and went to nearby Baco Mercat (which was fantastic!). Frankly, there are so many great restaurants in LA, Gorbals does not seem to be worth the attitude or wait.
- The Gorbals — great food, fun placeGTPhilsDined on 10/25/2013The Gorbals is an excellent place to to try a variety of food. We had the poutine, duck latkes, motzah balls and beef tongue as savory bites and the toffee pudding. Everything was delicious and offered new takes on maybe some familiar foods. The poutine was amazing. The fries are thriced-cooked and were super crispy. The beef tongue was my favorite part. It was like a really good roast with a little different mouth-feel. The dessert was very good. We were lucky enough to get both ice cream option — banana and basil. Overall, the restaurant is a cool place with great food. The service is ok, but I wish they would change plates w/o asking. Also, the pacing of plates coming out is a touch quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quirky and funCjphDined on 10/18/2013I will definitely go back. The food was hit or miss. Some things are fantastic like the bone marrow. Others are less than stellar like the burger with onions 5 ways which was massive and dry. I look forward to having the pig head at some time. Unfortunately Elan is not there any more since his move to New York.Special Features:
- Inventive & indulgent menucherinlaDined on 10/12/2013Fantastic food with surprising combinations like bacon-wrapped motzah balls and banh mi poutine. However, the duck latkes was probably my favorite dish. Not a lot of healthy options on the menu, but--in the moment--one hardly cares. The small plates are great for sharing & trying several things. Great cocktail, beer & wine options too. The building has a lot of character and the atmosphere is kind of dark & moody--appropriate for downtown. Not pretentious; just good food. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.