The Goose American Bistro and Bar
972 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Goose American Bistro and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegoosedarien.com/
- Phone: 2036562600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Piergiorgio Nanni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room for up to 40 guests. Perfect for business meetings, wedding rehearsals, showers.
Bar rentals for up to 90 Guests
Full Restaurant rentals for up to 150 people
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Polidoro 2036562600
- Entertainment: The New Classic Eating and Drinking Destination in Darien, Ct. Located in the center of Darien steps away from the Darien Metro North station. The historic bar dates to the late 1800's and was reportedly owned by Augustus Bush of Anheuser-bush.
- Cross Street: Center Street
- Public Transit: We are across the street from Darien Metro North station, just 50 minutes from Grand Central Terminal.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 2 and 3 hour parking spots in the Center Street South and North parking lots for lunch. For dinner, there is no time restriction.
We have Valet on Thursday, Friday, & Saturday Nights
A word from The Goose American Bistro and Bar
The New Classic Eating and Drinking Destination in Darien, Ct. Located in the center of Darien steps away from the Darien Metro North station. The historic bar dates to the late 1800's and was reportedly owned by Augustus Bush of Anheuser-bush.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
The Goose American Bistro and Bar - Best Restaurants in Darien ›
The Goose American Bistro and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Good neighborhood bar & grillOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/18/2014Been going here for years when it was The Black Goose and now The Goose. Its actually better overall in its current incarnation. As The BG it was too pricey for what it was. I wouldn't go out of my way to come here but its a good option if you are in town an looking for a solid bar and grill with a decent beer/wine list and a broad menu that is competently if not perfectly executed at an ok price given it is Darien.Special Features:
- QuietNorwalkerDined on 8/16/2014Interesting menu, good service, and one can have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeetBandSDined on 8/9/2014Great indoor or outdoor place to meet friends. Noise level indoors can be high. Outside perfect.Special Features:
- Always good!LucybDined on 7/9/2014Consistently good food and service. The salmon was perfectly cooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014The day was sunny and the food superb. Very cute restaurant in Darien. Has live music at night and will definitely head back for that scene. Not many places can pull off family restaurant and cool bar but I think this place may have the chops. Wonderful service as well with great and professional staff. Highly recommend the lobster sliders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great reunion lunch spotLunchLoverDined on 5/13/2014Perfect place for me (a New Haven resident) to meet half way with a New York friend. I drive, he takes the train. You could not find a nicer luncheon spot ANYWHERE, let alone a few steps from the Darien train station. This is our third year enjoying the quality eats and service at The Goose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun bistro in DarienPickyDined on 5/8/2014This is a great place for good food and service in a small town. A good place to meet friends - easy to find and reliable.Special Features:
- Added Cheese to DishnotafoodieDined on 5/2/2014Provided dish for free! My guest eat the dish even though it included the cheese.Special Features:
- The following 127 reviews are from the The Goose American Bistro and Bar reviews archive.
- Best of the Area!dawnDined on 4/7/2014Had a fantastic meal there on a rainy Monday. Vibrant bar scene of adults. Upscale surroundings in restaurant area. Our meal was excellent. Wouldn't have changed a thing. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a date night if there are kids!PamPVIPDined on 3/22/2014this was a disappointing sat night reservation for 7:30. we were seated promptly in the midst of a large party with about 10 screaming kids as well as about 5 tables of families surrounding us. we left the kids home with a sitter in order to have a nice sat date night out but it was so loud and uncomfortable for us that we decided to only have a drink and appetizers and then leave. drinks were overpriced (for what you got) and we ordered the mezze sampler with several dips. The dips were strange, too garlicky, odd cheese dip and an average roasted pepper dip. After eating that it sealed the deal that The Goose was not the place for us so we left to continue our dinner elsewhere. Why were so many families out on a sat night? odd!Special Features:
- Food was good, not greatcg05927nDined on 3/22/2014Simple review here: Pros: -had a reservation and was seated quickly even though we were about 10 minutes late -menu was awesome -food is delicious Cons: -waitress knew NOTHING about wine and was rude. The featured wine was malbec, my gf asked "whats it like?". ..She responded "its like a malbec" -food is expensive- we had an app to share, a glass of wine each, 2 entrees, bill was $101 -prices being what they are you would expect food to be cooked perfectly, nope. Asked for my steak medium, it arrived well done (still good, but not what I wanted) -waited a solid 20-30 minutes between our app and our entreesSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant for any occasionFaceamVIPDined on 3/21/2014We go here quite often for lunch, dinner or just a drink. They have a great bar that is always lively with TVs a fireplace and music on the weekends. There is a separate dining room that is comfortably arranged and the wait staff is always friendly. The menu offers a wide variety of options at many price points from interesting sandwiches in the $12 range to gourmet entrees in the $25 range. The food is consistently good and I would highly recommend for any occasion.Special Features:
- MehCTfoodieDined on 3/14/2014We went for lunch. The food was good, but the service was glacial. The kitchen could not turn out the food (and the restaurant was not full). It took 10 minutes to get a cup of cappuccino and another 9 minutes to get a dessert (scoops of gelato) brought out once it was ordered!!?? Unacceptable. To make matters worse, the server did not apologize for slow service when we asked why things were taking so long to be brought out.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/6/2014Great spot with something for everybody. Always enjoy the goat cheese salad, sesame crusted tuna and the flat bread pizzas!Special Features:
- Great Food Great GooseFavlocaldineDined on 2/8/2014There were so many items on the menu that I want to try I will be back many more times ! Friendly service , everything we ordered was just delicious . The mussels in the lemon wine sauce was outstanding as were the lobster sliders. I had a burger for my main course as I always judge a place by their burgers and this would be in my top 5. It is not a quiet restaurant but we were able to carry on a conversation just fine and could not hear the couple next to us . All in all a fun place to go .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good a usualTetonkidVIPDined on 1/17/2014I often get a burger at lunch there as they are typically the best I have had anywhere. This lunch it was overdone I am afraid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service and excellent,BarbDined on 1/12/2014Good service and excellent, upscale bar food. Is there a way to separate the children from adults Maybe a separate children's room?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Very good dining experience. Two minor negatives were a) it is a little bit noisy b) a burger ordered well-done was cooked medium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty FoodBrickleDined on 12/4/2013This was my first time "back" to the Goose since it had been the Black Goose and I was looking forward to a tasty return. Dinner for 3 in the dining room. Pros: Beautiful room, friendly and attentive staff, extensive menu choices. Cons: incredibly salty food which totally overpowered the flavors of the dishes. Disappointing. Hopefully the chef will read this and pull back on the salting doses.
- Great neighborhood grilleGerryVIPDined on 11/22/2013Always enjoy The Goose. Usually request a table in the bar so by definition and design, its 'energetic'. Great food, attentive service, and on this Friday a fantastic trio starting at 9:30. A fantastic gathering place with friends.Special Features:
- Good sandwich, cold fries, poor svcFatRat250VIPDined on 10/15/2013French dip was tasty, the fries served cold, and given it was me and one other guy at the bar, service should have been a lot more attentive
- Excellent all around!KbealleVIPDined on 10/12/2013The goose has it all - a great menu with a chef who's not shy about shaking it up. A fabulous bar with very attentive bar tenders. Music on the weekend. On -premises owners who mingle with clients and keep things running well. A great mix of generations. A lively atmosphere. It's become a neighborhood favorite and our "go to". A true gem!Special Features:
- Very ReliableTetonkidVIPDined on 10/9/2013Since opening back up we have revisited the NeW Goose and have been pleased. Food has consistently been delicious if a little bit unispired. Service is great as well. What keeps me from going there more is bland character of dining room. The burger I had for lunch the other day was notably fabulous so I will be back for another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal as usual. And theChelkinatorVIPDined on 10/6/2013Good meal as usual. And the kids loved the Mac and Cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to the Goose severalbarpatronDined on 9/29/2013I have been to the Goose several times. It is a great place for brunch and lunch. Food is always good and it does have a relaxed family friendly vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; lots of child noiseRadiodaDined on 9/14/2013This was our first visit. Tucked in nice spot. food and service VERY good. We had dinner at 6PM...guess that's the height of family dinners....very noisy. if it was warmer, outdoor dining would have been ideal...it was a cool evening. Maybe the bar would have been better. Sauvignon blanc was very good. Chèvre salad was outstanding, lobster sliders remarkable, filet was crusted with gorgonzola so it was surprising to serve with potato gratin (not a great combo). We will probably return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+++ Restaurant - Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2013We needed to find a restaurant between NY and CT for a special birthday. We were so pleasantly surprised. The food, service , ambience were all top notch! To note their Mussels and Lobster sliders were excellent. We were here for a birthday and they met and exceeded every expectation. Will surely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeLk2dineVIPDined on 7/28/2013we love the salads, the burgers and especially the lobster sliders. nice beer list too!Special Features:
- Don't go for Saturday lunchCarolynAVIPDined on 7/13/2013Three (adults) went for lunch on a Saturday, specifically for the lobster sliders, which are fabulous. Big chunks of fresh lobster on soft brioche rolls, drizzled with butter. However, most of the other diners had small children making a lot of noise. One party let their their five kids run around their table at top speed, screaming. The wait staff did nothing. Frankly, it ruined our meal. Moral of the story: if you must go for lunch on Saturday and are an adult, be sure to ask to sit in the bar.Special Features:
- Lobster, lobster, lobsterMontereyBayJenVIPDined on 7/10/2013Awesome lobster Mac n cheese. Lobster tacos were amazing! Each taco had a full claw's worth of meat. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy till server dumped my foodComingOutDined on 6/25/2013I was at The Goose for a date night. The food was great (especially the bacon!), and I felt pretty happy. Then I asked for a box. The server took away my plate. When she returned with it, my chips had been tossed -- and there had been a substantial amount. I had purposefully only eaten half my meal so I could take the leftovers to work the next day. My whole experience soured immediately. I won't be going to The Goose again since the previous times I've attended, my food has always been wrong. This time it was wrong too, but my partner shared with me a bit of his meal to replace the missing item.
- The dinner portions were disappointLov2dineDined on 6/10/2013The dinner portions were disappointingly small, very embarrassing! The food was good, what there was of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had delicious oysters onfoodfinderVIPDined on 5/28/2013We had delicious oysters on half shell, small plate seared tuna, NY strip steak with broccolli rabe--all VERY wonderful! The ice cream sandwiches for dessert (small chocolate chip cookies & vanilla, dark chocolate, & expression gelato) were very yummy! Also great wine list and 12 microbrews on tap! Would go back for sure!Special Features:
- Excellent ChoiceRufusTDined on 5/22/2013I picked this restaurant randomly online for a business meeting. The food was superb. The service excellent. I was pleasantly surprised and will take my family there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlwAys great fresh food -SusanDined on 5/17/2013AlwAys great fresh food - something for everyone in your group - friendly ambiance - never have bed disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great family place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2013wide range menu. tremendous service. food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally have had good foodTetonkidVIPDined on 4/14/2013Generally have had good food but this was mediocre and would not incline me to go back. Had Salmon on mashed potatoes with vegetables. Salmon was ok but nothing special but I was surprised someone let mash potatoes out of the kitchen: Watery , tasteless and looked as such.
- A bit pricey but the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2013A bit pricey but the food is very good. I would recommend as a great place to eat.Special Features:
- This is a high energy spot,cathykbVIPDined on 3/23/2013This is a high energy spot, with generous portions and an eclectic menu with everything from small plates (middle eastern spreads, oysters on the half shell...)to sandwiches to full dinners (sea scallops, salmon and filet...)to soup and salad. Everyone should be able to find something they like. This is a great place for all ages.Special Features:
- The Goose is a popular meetingluv2dineDined on 3/2/2013The Goose is a popular meeting place for locals and people from further afield alike. Definately worth a visit, whether to take in the vibrant bar scene, or to enjoy a quieter evening in the main restaurant.Special Features: