The Good King Tavern
614 S 7th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The Good King Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thegoodkingtavern.com/
- Phone: 2156253700
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Paul Lyons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Kater St
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: While there is always the possibility of street parking in the Bella Vista neighborhood, the parking lot directly south of TGK on 7th street is easy and convenient for all. There is an additional parking lot between 4th and 5th on Bainbridge.
A word from The Good King Tavern
The Good King Tavern is a cozy neighborhood spot located in the heart of Bella Vista at 7th & Kater. With a casual French inspired menu, daily chalkboard specials, classic cocktails, draft beers and wines by the glass, bottle & pichet, there is something for any and everyone to enjoy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Good King Tavern - Best Restaurants in Bella Vista ›
The Good King Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (98)fit for foodies (75)great for outdoor dining (37)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (28)romantic (22)late-night find (21)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (19)special occasion (17)good for groups (16)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Expected betterAkendrVIPDined on 8/26/2014Unbearably crowded and noisy. They have tables set up in a space that is a walk thru to/ from rest room so you have to move or get up every time someone goes or comes from restroom. Food was ok, Socca, which was raved about was very greasy an soggy. Other dishes were decent but not worth the hype.
- Great FoodClancyDined on 8/24/2014Brought six friends to the Good King Tavern over the weekend. The food was great and our server was attentive and friendly. I have been back several times and always had an outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014This was a find on UrbanSpoon while trying to pick it a place we've never been. I requested no onions on my croque monsieur and our delightful server came back to let me know that there were onions in the gratin as well. I appreciated this a lot since I'm allergic. She offered to replace that with their fries. The fries were very good, perfectly done and seasoned wonderfully. The staff was attentive, but not at all overbearing despite the small number of patrons. We will be back!! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Good King TavernchewbabychewVIPDined on 8/21/2014I have been here at least 5 times and, as always, have had an excellent meal. The menu is interesting with enough change but keeps the right favorites. The beer and drink selection is terrific. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest KingGastronomicalMeDined on 8/17/2014The Good King is a gem. The waitstaff is incredibly helpful, the food is outstanding, and the bar makes a very, very nice cocktail. We went to the Good King on a Sunday night with a group of 8 to celebrate my partner's birthday. They sat us at the higher 'community' table, which was fun. We started with shared appetizers & pichets of wine, which worked well for a large group. The cheese & meat boards are crowd pleasers. The socca, nicoise salad, and grilled artichoke special were my favorites. The server was fantastic and was very flexible with a convoluted ordering scheme. Without being asked to, they brought out a delicious pot de creme at the end with a candle lit for the birthday boy. Can't recommend this place enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable French FoodjozoDined on 8/10/2014This was my second visit to The Good King Tavern and once again the food was outstanding. The best steak frites and onion soup I've had in a long time .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014The Good King is Very Good!! Charming decor, reasonable prices all around -- food and drink. Great salad, baked oysters, pea fritters, steak tartare, bone marrow, socca with ratatouille, duck confit. And if you have even a tiny bit of room - get the chocolate pot de creme! Service was excellent, food delicious and a great vibe.Special Features:
- Midiocre Brunch. Might try dinner.LouiseNVIPDined on 8/3/2014Having heard great things about the GKT, I went with two friends for brunch. We all agreed that the brunch was not worth returning for. Recognizing that brunch is the most difficult meal for a restaurant to shine, we all agreed to give the GKT another chance by returning for a future dinner. Service was responsive but not attentive.
- fwmhillVIPDined on 7/26/2014Honestly - too rich, vicy and Frog Legs, just too rich; trying too hard, I don't know, but it could have been a lot more simple and still generated great flavorsSpecial Features:
- Doesn't get Better than GOOD King!WinoDined on 7/19/2014I fell in love with this place since the first time I went to enjoy a dinner with a close friend. We both didn't know what exactly to expect but our expectations were blown out of the water with amazing service, tasty food and a comfortable setting! You have to go and try this place for yourself. My favorite drink is the French 75 and my favorite dish changes based on what is on special. Their Chef Paul Lyons has a wonderful selection of menu items that rotate each week on the chalk board along with the standard paper menu. The scallops that were on special were the best dish I had at Good King Tavern. See you again soon!Special Features:
- DeeLish, Fun ambience, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed all -- food, wine, ambience. A sweet cozy pub feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the good kingcn71Dined on 6/22/2014Excellent dinner; fine food. Our service was excellent. Soca is afavorite appetizer.Special Features:
- Even better than it needs to beeagereaterDined on 6/18/2014This would be a great place to get a bite and drink even if the food and service were less impressive, but each dish is an imaginative treat, more interesting and tasty than expected, beautifully presented, and served by staff with a clear knowledge of the food and an easy, warm, professional manner. It can get LOUD in here, though, with a definite bar feel, so go early or eat outdoors to avoid the shouting and drunken, braying laughter I keep encountering when I eat inside.Special Features:
- Good King, Good eatsPNKJNDined on 6/16/2014French cooking in a funky neighborhood. Nicely done, attentive service and the food was delicious.....good selection of wine and beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect blend of bar and restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/15/2014Went to Good King Tavern on Sunday evening and it is definitely a great find. Good spot to go in for a drink at the bar and order up appetizers or for a sit down dinner with top notch food without being ridiculously priced. The escargot was delicious in a garlic butter sauce that we wiped up with extra bread - so nothing went to waste. The octopus was tender - only complaint was that i hoped it would be spicier. The steak frites is a definite keeper - cooked to perfection and they pile up the fries! Also, the sausage dish with the potato gratin was delicious and VERY cheesy! The service was just as good as the food - explained the menu and the specials in great detail - very attentive and friendly!Special Features:
- Love it!FarmersMarketMavenDined on 6/15/2014Delicious food with only the freshest ingredients. Attentive service. Sublime cocktails. What's not to love? Could order their grilled octopus and Brussels sprouts appetizers every visit. They are that good. Entrees are wonderful. Although the desserts do not disappoint, we love the option of their cheese board for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Meal!MarianneDined on 6/14/2014Our group of six had a great time at dinner. One friend is expecting and the server was very knowledgeable on the cheese board as to which were pasteurized. All of his recommendations were spot on and every dish was delicious. Can't wait to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JSReillzVIPDined on 6/12/2014This was our first time at this restaurant and it did not disappoint. Every dish was delicious and creative. Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely recommend to any foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerdinerDined on 6/11/2014Our meal was great from start to finish. Our service was great and our waiter made some great recommendations. The crowd was vibrant. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wowOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/1/2014In all the places I have gone to have I had a better experience than here.ok,it was a beautiful night but the food and service,you don't have enough stars! Our waiter was knowledgeable and steered us in the right direction and the food was excuisite and properly priced. The only drawback?parking but I would always find a way to this gem. The socca was addicting as was the brussel sprouts,yes sprouts.loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!jebbie312Dined on 6/1/2014Can't say enough about TGKT! food was great (especially the meat board appetizer). Our waitress was knowledgeable, friendly and very attentive. We had a lovely dinner and would go back again even though we usually don't trek into the city too often. Go try it out, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it amazing!DatenightDined on 5/31/2014This has been our third visit and we are already scheduling our next. Each visit we have brought different members of our family. My friend from work has us to bring her and her husband because I never stop talking about how amazing the service and food is. Can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CookieVIPDined on 5/27/2014We enjoyed the evening very much. The wines were good and reasonably priced but the martini at $17 was higher than most places in Philly. The frites had too much salt but the steak was excellent. We would go back but would order more carefullySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value for the priceeat2liveDined on 5/23/2014The food was decent and there were some interesting combinations. some of the dishes were quite spicy. we had a bad bottle of their best wine which the manager comped. nice neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- MMCAVIPDined on 5/23/2014excellent traditional bistro food; well selected, fairly priced (for Pennsylvania) wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cn71Dined on 5/23/2014really good food; have not had socca since being in Nice,France. It was excellent as were our main courses.Special Features:
- Great Local French BistroPhillyVikingDined on 5/23/2014If you really enjoy typical French bistro food and ambience this tavern close to South Street is the place to be. The food is served with real flair and inventive sides and the servers know ingredients and make good recommendations. The duck confit, cod brandade, mussels and desserts are all outstanding. Only complaint is the excessive noise!!Special Features:
- Innovative Euro-PubOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/21/2014Wonderful food from a wide-ranging menu of innovative pub-style choices. Unlike many hip new restaurants, this place provides ample portions of food that is original in concept but not so weird that it is unappealing. Also, doesn't rely on putting foie gras or confit over everything to make it "of the moment". Daily specials supplement an already varied menu. I liked the fact that there are many ways to put a meal together here -- traditional appetizer, main plate, dessert --- or several small plates, which could also lend themselves to sharing. Good selection of beers and wine by the glass. Only complaint is that seating is very close together -- not for a romantic dinner, but great for fun!Special Features:
- Good King? No GREAT King!GutessenDined on 5/17/2014The reviews don't give this restaurant the credit it deserves. This was a great meal. Drinks go beyond normal. Best gin gimlet due to their house made lime. Cheese and meat boards have fine varieties that were explained by an informed server. The chick pea pancake - I need the recipe. Entrees uniformly got thumbs up. The hamburger isn't just a burger here, it is fit for a king. No room for dessert? Forget it. We ordered each variety each better than the next. Patrick, our server was fantastic. Informed, engaging, responsive. This is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2014I went here for dinner with 3 of my friends. We had an excellent meal- everything was so good. Beware of the octopus even though it says spicy- it is really spicy. I wasn't prepared for that. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Fab foodJohnnyDeeVIPDined on 5/11/2014Great french food at excellent prices. Love the menu of diverse options for non meat eaters. The artichoke appetizer was superb, the duck confit with duck fat potatoes delicious and the trout was perfect. Will be returning to try some other menu items, looking forward to the octopus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014The food was excellent prepared well and served timely and hot. The menu selection was good for all types of eaters. The prices were very reasonable and affordable. I will be going again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French with an American AccentFredDined on 5/11/2014I went to this restaurant after reading a laudatory article in the Philadelphia Inquirer, and I was not disappointed. My dining partner hails from Provence, the region in France in whose cuisine The Good King specializes. We both agreed that the regional dishes we ordered were very good but a little different from the authentic versions--Americanized--which is not necessarily a bad thing. We had a very nice lunch, with dessert and two glasses of Picpoul. The wine and dessert really jacked the price up considerably--but that's to be expected. My one small qualm about the place was the solicitousness of the waiter. I think he overdid it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flat out goodWhatsthespecialDined on 5/9/2014With so many good restaurants in the city to try, it says something that this would be first on our list to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good King Tavern Review May 2014EdieDined on 5/9/2014Everything was fabulous - especially the Cosmo (w/absolut vodka). I can honestly say this was, by far, the best Cosmo that I've ever had! The octopus salad was amazing - and the french onion soup was excellent! I highly recommend this restaurant. (Edie, Voorhees, NJ)Special Features:
- Great for those with gluten allergySHANBANDined on 5/2/2014So good. Really loved everything. I have celiac & in general don't eat out a lot because of it. This will be a new favorite for me.Special Features:
- A Fine MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/1/2014We had passed this place many times while riding our bikes up Seventh Street and every time we would say, "We need to try this place." So finally we did tonight for our anniversary. We loved everything we ordered: Scrumptious English Pea croquettes with their lemon undertones on bed of a wonderfully garlicky English pea and celery saute; roasted Brussels sprouts with tomatoes, garlic and goat cheese; classic trout almondine served with English peas and haricots vert; Cornish game hen accompanied by a lovely spring veggie saute; bread pudding with lavender ice cream; chocolate pots de creme topped with ground hazelnuts and very good French press coffee. We also had champagne. No disappointments.Special Features:
- The following 25 reviews are from the The Good King Tavern reviews archive.
- The Great King!MuffinVIPDined on 4/28/2014The Good King s/b renamed~ Food perfectly crafted by caring chef~ Escargot tender and delish~ Succulent Octopus with a Bolt of spice~ Fava & maikon? mushrooms were unusually delicious! Desserts are a must~ po de crème~AMAZing~ Still dreaming of the oozing chocolate.. home made walnut peppermint sorbet fabbb! Wine & beer selection excellent! Food prices great~ Libations a bit expensive! Really wonderful dinning experience!Special Features:
- Good food, fun atmospherejonackDined on 4/26/2014The food here is always great. I didn't realize they had outdoor seating, but they do and it's great as the weather gets warmer (no heat lamps though). Definitely a must-try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedJKligsVIPDined on 4/26/2014What can I say - their octopus was some of the best I've eaten (on par if not better than in Spain which was my previous favorite), the chef made brussels sprouts actually taste amazing with the lovely addition of goat cheese, and each dish was incredibly well constructed and balanced and not over buttered, over-spiced or just over'ed. From our super attentive server, Ryan, to the manager, Chloe, we were wowed. What a terrific place that I hope will thrive for years to come! I'm not super knowledgeable about wine, but we drank a very solid Cotes du Rhone (their house wine) that was very drinkable and affordable and on par with some good bottles we had while in that region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.