The Golden Truffle
1767 Newport Boulevard
Costa Mesa, CA 92627Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The Golden Truffle
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.goldentruffle.com/
- Phone: 9496459858
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, French
- Executive Chef: Alan Greeley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Alan Greeley began as a caterer foremost and has been catering in Southern California for over 30 years. The Golden Truffle offers an incredible variety of catering possibilities to enhance your special occasions and theme events. We can accommodate a variety of budgets. Whether it be a private dinner in our “Wine Room” or Restaurant, your Home or Office, a Garden Wedding, a Picnic to go, or a Corporate Event for 1000.
- Private Party Facilities: The Golden Truffle private dining room is also our working wine cellar. The “Wine Room” can accommodate up to 30 people. Your customized menu will be created by Chef Greeley, which can also be paired with wine by our Wine Director.
- Private Party Contact: Letia J. Short 9496459970
A word from The Golden Truffle
The Golden Truffle is a favorite of restaurateurs, wine-makers and chefs. The abundant and interesting wine list offers many intriguing and unusual fairly priced wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Golden Truffle reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (7)special occasion (6)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)good for groups (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Overall fine dining experience but would not returnSpecial Features:
- Great experienceValan2Dined on 8/22/2014We went to The Golden Truffle during Restaurant Week, and couldn't have been happier. Aside from the excellent price, we enjoyed four courses of delicious, creative cuisine. The heirloom tomato salad and jalapeño pickled shrimp were great starters. The shrimp dish was especially unique and any attempt to describe it would not do it justice. The main course, a chicken cordon bleu, was excellent, and dessert was nectarine-plum sorbet with a pistachio cookie. Service was friendly, prompt and attentive. The owner and head chef, Alan Greeley, stopped by the table (everyone's, not just ours) to welcome us - genuinely. Our only question was: why don't we come here more often? We will now!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Golden Tuffle is a unique gem. It is very special food prepared by a very unique and talented chef. Jay and Bette RothmanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The TruffleRickDined on 7/5/2014Alan Greeley...the Premier Chef in OC by far. This may be an understatement. He is by far one of the most creative and talented chefs! His menu is ever changing...you never know what creation is lurking in his kitchen. Need an event catered...look no further!!! Oh...he was Elton Johns personal chef in his previous life...Special Features:
- The following 27 reviews are from the The Golden Truffle reviews archive.
- Only acceptableAnmuheDined on 6/7/2014It was acceptable. Any surprise. Dishes was good enough, but We hope some more elaborated, and some that mark a difference. Is only a normal restaurant, with normal dishes. Lobster with avocado, is a disaster. Is just a soft guacamole, but with small pieces of lobster. The lamb dolmé, standard. Some sauces taste like can sauces "refurbished", salmon recently unpacked. Is Ok like a restaurant, but don´t expect any wonderfull.
- SMU17MOMVIPDined on 5/11/2014The Golden Truffle used to be a great place... Such a disappointment. It made sense why it wasn't crowded on Mother's Day. Won't go back.
- One of the best2foodiesDined on 3/7/2014This is a hidden treasure. Chef Greeley has an unusual menu, very different and he is adept at anything he tries. Eclectic, but top ratings from us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerMannirocksitDined on 2/14/2014Good food although it took a while for it to come out but great staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleGtfanDined on 2/14/2014chef Alan Greeley is nothing short of amazing.his food is both sophisticated and somehow simple at the same time. He is perhaps the single most creative chef in Orange County. This is a place to dine well; not a place to come and be seen.Special Features:
- One of the best steaks ever.alphonso14VIPDined on 2/14/2014Don't know why I hadn't had filet mignon at TGT before but decided to try it for our Valentine's day lunch. Both my wife and I agree, it was the most flavorful steak we've ever had. Everything else was superb as well, which is what you'd expect from The Golden Truffle.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/7/2014Love this place. If I was indendently wealthy this would be a regular spot for me. With that said the price is right the service is fantastic and the food exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestDinerVIPDined on 1/25/2014The food was salty, not French, and average service.
- Old School FavoriteWimby43VIPDined on 1/24/2014Went early b4 the rush, terrific cocktail service. Shared an appetizer, salad and entre. Perfect portions. Attentive service with a terrific Hungarian red wine suggestion. I could eat every meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need help...JAD1Dined on 12/13/2013While the food was good to excellent, the service was painfuly slow. Wait staff inexperienced. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes from the time we sat down to get our appetizers. I was difficult to get a second drink - sat there for at least 20 minutes with an empty glass. Wasn't offered pepper for my soup, and when I asked they came back with a peppermill that didn't work or was empty. No acknowledgement of their slow service. Getting the bill was even painfully slow. Decor was very outdated - felt stark and cold. Would not reurn
- DisappointedLocaleaterVIPDined on 12/13/2013I have been coming here for years and this visit was horrible. The food was over salted, very average and disappointing. This guy has always been excellent so I'm hoping it was just a bad night.
- EhDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 12/12/2013First time here, not what I expected, but the service was decent.Special Features:
- A must for foodies.alphonso14VIPDined on 12/5/2013Chef/owner Alan Greeley typically offers one of the most diverse menus in Orange County. His duck with raspberry sauce is second to none and even if you think you don't like escargot, if escargot Jamacanaise is on the appetizer menu don't pass it up. The only downside to the restaurant is that there are so many intriguing items on the menu it's difficult to make a choice.Special Features:
- The food and the service areMartiDined on 11/23/2013The food and the service are great. We have been going for years and will keep going. Never gets old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- business lunchchuckbDined on 11/5/2013Favorite spot for a leisurely luncheon with business colleagues. Also my wife's preferred dinner location when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Chance?foodieDined on 10/26/2013First time after driving past the restaurant for several years. Not exactly a great time. We were seated in their Wine Room which I understand should be cool but it was cold! Several other couples that came in either left or asked to be moved. We stuck it out! Lighting was dark. Service took a while to get going but was OK once someone knew we were here. We really do like to try new places but probably won't go back......Special Features:
- Not so goldenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013First off let me say I haven't been here for nearly 20 years. I found the appitzers good With the exception of the over priced guacamole, I expected some shrim and lobster as it was marketed. Next we had salad and it was fine. Then came our entrees The duck was bad! Tasted as if it was made the day before and the shortrib was way too salty. I had the wild salmon and again the fish was fine but the sauce and potatoes were just okay, this menu needs an overhaul and It needs to be fresh! When three entrees are ordered and three almost full plates are wrapped to go that should be an indication Something was amiss.... Too bad, really wanted it to be as it used to be..
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2013the food was pretty good however we were the first people there at 1130 and didn't get our food till 1245.
- This place should be packed!bbaumanDined on 8/24/2013My wife and I had a wonderful dinner here. It has been 20 years since we last ate at the Golden Truffle. It was great! We both can't figure out why this place was not busier on a Saturday night. The bar tender, waiter, hostess, and the owner/chef were all very cordial and professional. My braised short rib melted in my mouth. It was so good it was all I could focus on - my wife was slightly annoyed with the lack of attention I gave to her as a result :). Great wine list and cocktail menu. My only suggestions for improvement are: The decor and outside awning appear dated and need to be refreshed. Add a standard filet and grilled fish of the day to the menu. I may have missed this on the menu though. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseVaughnVIPDined on 8/23/2013We took advantage of a great price for a 4-course meal during the Costa Mesa Restaurant Week. This was our first visit to The Golden Truffle and what a nice surprise. The food is top notch as was the service. We'll be back and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dare I Say Bargain?GregverDined on 8/16/2013We went to the Golden Truffle during C.M. Restaurant Week and ate the prix fixe menu. The short ribs were very tasty, excellent sauce and vegetables, and the potato-leek soup and arugula salad were fresh and spiced perfectly. The Sicilian Lemon and Calamondran (a relative of the kumquat) sorbet was the most refreshing dessert we've had for a while. Calamondrans were from the chef's mother in FL -- we counted ourselves lucky to have some. The wine list (~30 each reds and whites) had only a few priced between $60 and $95, with the rest primarily between $35 and $60. The Loire white and 2009 Crozes-Hermitage (at $35) were small producer gems at the right price. WE'LL BE BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCarolynDined on 8/3/2013We have lived in OC for over 30 years and have wanted to try The Golden Truffle for a long time. We finally made reservations and are extremely happy with our visit. I'm only sorry it took us so long to get there. We will not wait too long to return. The food is exceptionally outstanding and the service was impeccable. I recommend this restaurant to everyone for any occasion or simply to have a wonderful evening of great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our evening at the GoldenEltonDinerDined on 8/2/2013Our evening at the Golden Truffle was, as always, exceptional - great food, excellent service and very warm and comfortable. Chef/Owner Alan Greeley visited with us (as he typically does with all the restaurant's patrons) and made us feel welcome. The food & wine recommendations were excellent and service top notch. We appreciate that the menu changes constantly and there are always unique, interesting dining options. Just a terrific restaurant and without question, one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety is not deadGS4DinerVIPDined on 7/13/2013Great food in OK setting that changes countries, cuisines and ingredients depending on the chef's whim. Try Soul Food Wednesdays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always love the GoldenjantDined on 7/5/2013We always love the Golden Truffle...our server forgot our wine order but quickly apologized and was on top of everything else. Other than that, the food was delicious...had the calamari gazpacho as an appetizer, so good. Main course we had the lamb and the duck. Fabulous as usual! This is one of our favorite places! Thank you Alan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at the Golden TruffleBonVivantsVIPDined on 6/22/2013What an unexpected treat! Tried a couple of eclectic appetizers ... the deep fried avocado tacos were fantastic and the Oysters, served in shell warm with bbq pork were good (however, I would have preferred them on the halfshell with lemon). For my main course I was having a difficult time deciding between the Turbot and the Octopus ... but Chef Alan Greeley helped me with my decision. He stopped by the table, introduced himself and we had a nice short convo. When I told him that I couldn't make up my mind on what I should order, he said get the Turbot and I'll send you over some Octopus too. Both were fantastic ... it was the best octopus I've ever had ... flavorful AND TENDER. It's Official; This place is a keeper ... we'll be back.Special Features:
- StillFunFunToEatDined on 6/1/2013The evening began with a lovely hostess who displayed a gracious manner all evening. No rush to order although we decided quite readily what our entrees would be. Good cocktails from a good bartender. The food was genuinely excellent, and, surprise, generous portions besides. This was a birthday dinner for my wife, and we both were pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.