The Golden Sheaf
One North Second Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Golden Sheaf
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hiltonharrisburgdining.com/the-golden-sheaf.html
- Phone: 7172336000
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For your special event, our private dining room is available for groups from 10 to 25. Custom menus as well as limited menus are available. Room charge applies for groups under 10 people.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Zeigler 7172376400
A word from The Golden Sheaf
The Golden Sheaf features contemporary interpretations of classic cuisine utilizing local ingredients with an emphasis on quality sourcing and prime beef by Allen Brothers. Dine on superb creations our chefs have carefully crafted for each season. Accompany your dinner with a glass or bottle of wine from our Wine Spectator award winning list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Golden Sheaf reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (6)notable wine list (6)romantic (5)special occasion (4)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)Show More
- Food Great Excellent ServiceHappyDiner11Dined on 8/5/2014Was in search of a good steak place, between two hotels, while traveling with a colleague and discovered rave reviews for The Golden Sheaf, located off the lobby of mine. It was small but nicely appointed with glowing 'rock salt ' candles tastefully positioned for lighting. We were the only ones in the place as we needed an early meal so had the restaurant to ourselves. The service wasfriendly and knowledgeable; attentive, without being intrusive. We were well guided on the somewhat limited menu (stick to doing what you do, perfectly!) which did elevate the sides from standard fare. Steak was fabulous, cooked to perfect temp. We didn't imbibe but a look at the wine list showed it to be extensive. I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 3 in HarrisburgIanJ4VIPDined on 8/4/2014My wife and I recently moved here from Chicago and have struggled to find unique food experiences. So far after 3 months of looking this place is in the top 3 and compares highly with great restaurants in big cities. Great food and superb service. The service stood out and made us feel very special on just an ordinary evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the oneOperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 6/12/2014This really still the only fine dining experience in Harrisburg and can stand up to anything in any other city. The new menu, with its emphasis on small plates, doesn't offer as much of a real dinner experience, however. Wish they'd go back to the way it used to be. But still an island of luxury and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous timeJPkingDined on 6/11/2014Got together at The Golden Sheaf for dinner with some business associates. We had an awesome time. The seating was very comfortable for the 6 of us, the food was absolutely delicious, the service impecable, and the wine selection was top notch. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Pre-show DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014We had tickets for a show at the Whitaker Center for our family of 5 and a friend. We had dinner at The Golden Sheaf prior to the show. What a perfect night! Everything was delicious..... the creative chef's amuse, appetizers, entrees and dessert. Also enjoyed wonderful wines with the meal. All served by friendly, helpful and attentive waitstaff. This is a great place for a special dinner in Harrisburg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 85 reviews are from the The Golden Sheaf reviews archive.
- Had forgotten how good it isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014If you like a busy vibe, lots of energy, this may not be your ticket. If, however, you enjoy luxury (though casual), a fantasic wine list, excellent food and impeccable service, this could be your spot. We had the place to ourselves from 8:00- 9:00. Made for great conversation w Joseph, the sommelier and for excellent service from Aaron the waiter. Never felt rushed and never sat there waiting for anything. Scallops app was amazing. Salad was beautiful and a treat. She had the lamb that really was to die for. My short ribs were some of the best I've had. Wine list is exceptional-not just great labels but spectacular selection of vintages. It can b pricey and this may have just been 1 night, but it was a great one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerSpringof1962Dined on 4/7/2014We have been wanting to try the Golden Sheaf for some time. My birthday gave us the perfect reason to make a reservation. We are very picky eaters and loved the fact that the menu noted gluten free offerings. We were pleasantly surprised to find we had many options from which to choose. That is not usually the case. Our meals were wonderfully prepared and equally delicious. We won't wait for a special occasion to revisit this fine restaurant. Thank you.Special Features:
- Fabulous findDiningduoVIPDined on 3/28/2014We have been wanting to try this restaurant for awhile now and finally got there. It was well worth the wait. Fantastic service and the food was superb. We would definately return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and outstandingXxxxVIPDined on 3/27/2014Great meal and outstanding service. The best in Harrisburg.Special Features:
- Favorite Place in HarrisburgDawnDined on 3/25/2014Always great service and excellent food. Nice variety on menu and favorite place for special occasion dining. They validate parking in Walnut Street Garage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In from PittsburghPittgirlVIPDined on 3/10/2014This was a great dining experience, from the food to the service. We ordered the bone marrow twice! If you're in Harrisburg, you should go here for that alone! Thank you for a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner ive ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014My wife and I ate there for the First time on Friday and we had the scallops stuffed with crab. That was absolutely amazing!!! Will definitely b back and recommend it to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Harrisburg GemChuckDined on 2/28/2014We've been going to the Golden Sheaf monthly for the past 6 months and the food is outstanding every time. They were quite busy this time but the service did not suffer. There are many very good and reasonably priced (around $50) wines and the two we tried were exceptional - both the same wine but one a 1998 and the other a 2006 vintage. The wines were the surprise treat of the evening, as was the bone marrow appetizer. The scallops entree is so good it's hard to force oneself to try something different. The wait staff operates as an effective team and are very approachable. This is fine dining at its best without a stuffy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!KarenDined on 2/22/2014Four of us had a lovely dinner prior to attending the play at Open Stage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, service and atmoshere.VernonDined on 2/14/2014Great meal, service and atmoshere. A wonderful dining experience for special occasions.Special Features:
- Some Funterryg1113VIPDined on 1/25/2014The signature scallops deserve to be so, but take the signature off the chocolate cake -- freshness lost in the refrigerator. Tortellini, bread, salad and squash were all wonderful. Nice touches with a complementary taste of watermelon salad and chocolate covered giant strawberries before and after dinner, respectively. Not sure why so few people dine here on weekends....Special Features:
- Perfect romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014This restaurant has everything you could want in a fine dining experience. The atmosphere is very nice. Soft music plays in the background as you sit at your candlelit table. The menu was also phenomenal. I highly recommend the crab stuffed scallops. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What took ME so long?KRC1234Dined on 1/11/2014I have lived in the Harrisburg area for years, but this was my first time dining at the Golden Sheaf. I was very pleased with every aspect of the experience and will definitely return. The menu features high end items, locally sourced and sustainable items, and excellent wines. Everything is finished with proper gourmet flair. I highly recommend the signature stuffed scallops as well as the duck.Special Features:
- GreatifitlooksgoodeatitDined on 12/31/2013Food was good, as well as the atmosphere. I thought it was a little overpriced but that comes with the territory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve and 33rd AnniversaryNorbDined on 12/31/2013We enjoyed the celebration of the evening with the excellent service performed by the entire staff. The food and wine added to our delight. We highly recommend one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still very good after manyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/20/2013Still very good after many years. Very few places left for elegant dining. They do have a byob policy with a $20 corkage fee.Special Features:
- Memorable nightTravvllrDined on 11/29/2013Let me preface this by saying I am very familiar with fine dining on three continents. I state without hesitation that the Golden Sheaf exceeds every expectation. From the greeting by the maitr' d, by name, to the cocktail order that had been relayed by the bartender next door, we knew this anniversary would be special. Then, the food! Every bite was a sensation not to be forgotten. Mushroom soup-such a mundane title for an incredible taste. Same with the scallops stuffed with crab. Every dish had the freshest ingredients, prepared and presented impeccably. Thank you, Golden Sheaf-can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great nightJohnVIPDined on 11/16/2013Everything was excellent on this visit with exception of my partner's entree. Pecan-crusted Pork Medlallions had turned from pork tenderloin to boneless pork chops and had been overcooked to the point of being very difficult to cut. To their credit my partner was visited by everyone in the chain (server, maitre d', chef), the item was removed from the bill and dessert was offered free-of-charge. My filet, fingerling potatoes and brussel sprouts were excellent.Special Features:
- greattoddDined on 11/1/2013I celebrated my 5 year anniversary here and it was a good choice.The service was very good the food was amazing and to top it off at the end of the meal we were brought a small dessert plate with happy anniversary written in chocolate.if you eat here you wont be dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star food on a 3 star budgetOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2013Took my wife here for our anniversary this year and we both enjoyed it very much. Coming from Atlanta, We weren't expecting to find a nice and elegant fine dining place at all in Harrisburg, but this place didn't disappoint us at all. The food and the wine was great, and much cheaper than we expected. We anticipated a $300 dollar bill and ended up with half of that. Overall, great experience...we will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Dinner for Two CoupleBlackFalconDined on 10/26/2013My girlfriend and I had dined with another couple - close friends of ours, before going out to a nightclub. We looked forward to dinner - unfortunately were disappointed & had mixed reviews. The two ladies lucked out in ordering scallops which were amazing. My buddy and I were more adventurous - me ordering rabbit and my friend ordering an Italian dish. My rabbit was extremely overcooked & my friends entree was simply disappointing. Everything other then our two entrees were well prepared & service very good. Still probably one of the best restaurants in Harrisburg PA, but surprised quality of food was inconsistent with all the great awards and reputation the restaurant has earned. Would be willing to give Golden Sheaf a second chance.Special Features:
- expected morencm1VIPDined on 10/19/2013was here several years ago... much much better then. wait staff gave the wrong dessert MENU after saying they didn't have enough for both of us, then when we ordered he realized it was the wrong menu anyway. waiter was very snooty and short with us. actually had the nerve to ask... after I ordered... 'do you even know what that is?' tried to take things away before we were finished. food was ok, at best. lamb was not even warm, and sides were cold. dessert was blah... nothing special here at all.
- Excellent food and service.hbgdinerDined on 9/19/2013Excellent food and service. The restaurant week menu was delicious.Special Features:
- Just okLynnDined on 9/18/2013We had to send our soups back- barely warm. Veal special had hardly any veal- and tasted like beef.presentation of meals were great. Expected much more for the caliber of this restaurant. Will not rush back. Thought of this place as a FINE dining place,not so much any more. Too many other restaurants in the area that are better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are never disappointed!AngelDined on 8/28/2013We are never disappointed! Welcoming service always with a smile, with a very pleasing atomsphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet and elegant night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013For those who want a quiet night out with an elegant atmosphere and great food, The Golden Sheaf at the Harrisburg Hilton is the place to go. My husband and I love to come here for delicious food in an elegant atmosphere.The service is impeccable. We are foodies and I love to cook. This is my night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dined here because theGourmetettesVIPDined on 8/1/2013We dined here because the restaurant got four well deserved diamonds in our AAA TourBook. The wait people were very attentive and split our appetizer of heirloom tomato and watermelon salad onto two plates. I ate the crab stuffed scallops for my entrée which is a signature dish. My husband enjoyed the duck entrée. Our wine choices were also exquisite. We were too full to try dessert, but they gave us a chocolate covered strawberry each, which was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperiencemikeDined on 6/8/2013Many years we have dined at GS since opening. Service is great, food is innovative and it is a quiet space perfect for important occasions or just any evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ServiceerinlizzDined on 5/25/2013We really enjoyed our date night at the Golden Sheaf. Our table was ready immediately, staff attentive and humorous, but not intrusive. Food delicious. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, the best fine-diningOperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 4/22/2013As always, the best fine-dining in Harrisburg, and a place good enough to stand on its own in Philadelphia. The service is also strikingly good, professional, and friendly.Special Features:
- Old fashioned, good ribeye,diMi2014Dined on 4/19/2013Old fashioned, good ribeye, caesar salad two leaves uncutted for 9$ is overpriced Located dowtown at Hilton lobby was convenientSpecial Features:
- Wonderful service, wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013Wonderful service, wonderful food! Excellent presentation!Special Features:
- The service was impeccable.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/16/2013The service was impeccable. The waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, and respectful. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was very romantic. I would definitely go back again especially for a special occassion.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.2StreetrVIPDined on 2/9/2013Excellent food and service. Too many tables squeezed in small space. Noisy - not "energetic," but way too darned noisy for conversation. Staff smelled like ashtrays. Not at all what I'd call "fine dining," even in central Pennsylvania.
- We had a great time. TheerinlizzDined on 2/2/2013We had a great time. The food was fantastic, the service excellent and the environment comfortable. We will return to the Golden Sheaf!Special Features: