The Glenville Stops
87 Glenville Ave
Allston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Glenville Stops
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.glenvillestops.com/
- Phone: 6179033638x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Juan Pedrosa, formerly of Trade
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Cask parties, call for details
- Cross Street: Price Road
- Public Transit: Harvard Ave. or Griggs Street on the B Line on the T. From Cambridge, take the 64 bus (Harvard Sq.) or 66 bus (Central Sq.) to Commonwealth Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Limited street parking, more available on Commonwealth Ave. easily accessible by B Train on the green line or by 64/66 bus if coming from Cambridge
A word from The Glenville Stops
Here at The Glenville Stops, our motto is quality over quantity. We carry the finest selection of craft beers, superb wines, and stellar food. Head Chef Juan Pedrosa is meticulous with his menu: Charred Octopus is as much a piece of art as it is delicious. Drawing on his Puerto Rican heritage, he takes contemporary fare and puts his own Latin American flair into it. Juan makes his menu diverse as well, you’ll find as many vegetarian options as dishes for meat lovers. To complement Juan’s cooking, we have the best wine by-the-glass program in our area, as well as 30 world class beers on draft. Come by and visit us, you won’t be disappointed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Glenville Stops - Best Restaurants in Allston ›
The Glenville Stops reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (16)good for groups (9)romantic (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- ArooneyVIPDined on 10/13/2014Went here for a Monday night dinner, it had a surprising number of people by the time we left but wasn't crowded. Small menu but everything looked delicious. We had the carrot soup, which was delicious, the cod, also delicious and the pork riblets, which were great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Little Spot!Pumpkin09Dined on 10/11/2014Great food experience, a tad strangely decorated, but overall a wonderful late night discovery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fifth Time at The Glenville StopsDadsDinnersDined on 10/1/2014We love this place and keep going back. This time we took friends visiting from Seattle and they raved too. We're worried, because it isn't very busy despite great reviews here and on Yelp. I notice that the online menu now says to call them if you're having trouble parking - I think they have a couple spaces nearby. Maybe that's the issue. The menu is great for any hunger level - there are choices which are small "bites", regular small plates, and full sized entrees. The only reason I didn't give the food 5 stars is because there are few "light" small plates (but I haven't tried everything) - most have somewhat rich (but incredibly delicious) sauces. A very extensive beer selection both bottled and on draft. Great bar.Special Features:
- A Dining Oasisbscott105Dined on 9/22/2014With all of the student-oriented and international restaurants in Allston, Glenville Stops is unique and a refreshing change in terms of being a quiet, unassuming restaurant that has a small but diverse menu, a great wine selection and an outstanding beer selection. It is tucked away on Glenville Ave, and you don't want to try to find parking so take the T or walk. But once there, Mike will greet you at the bar and will be happy to describe and recommend a beer for you from his selection of local/state craft beers as well as beers from his native England. I had the mussels and they were outstanding. It is definatly worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummmmgabituDined on 9/20/2014I just moved to Boston and live at allston area. My family was visiting and after the whole day walking around the city we just wanted a bite somewhere close to the house. Found this little place at yelp and let me tell you that I'm SO happy I did cause I will definitely go back!!! We tried pretty much everything on the reduced menu. The ribs are superb!!!!! Deliciousness! !!! The lamb meatballs are as well pretty good. Amazing wine list.. order the Brussels sprouts. . Fantastic too! The ceviche is good but it's not worth it on my opinion. Try out this new spot. The bar is beautiful and the bathrooms are spotless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- That shrimp!EmijeanDined on 9/18/2014We shared the shrimp, cheese, meatballs, mussels, scallops, and riblets and everything was phenomenal! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars for the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014Every dish we tried was outstanding, including lamb meatballs, a tomato plate, fried cheese, and a chicken dish. We sat at the bar and found the bartender to be friendly, responsive and knowledgeable. The seated dining area is quite small and felt a bit sterile, but the bar has a nice, warm feel to it. We do not live in the neighborhood and I'm glad we went out of our way to try this place. It's worth a trip (and the parking hassle if you are driving).Special Features:
- A real gemCollieDined on 9/13/2014Have been here several times when we are looking for great food and drink without the fussiness of a larger restaurant. The food is fantastic and unique -- not the tired gastropub stuff -- and particularly like the masa veggie burger and roast cod. Fantastic beer selection that is really unique. The best of its type we've been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and beer list, very slow!MollyDined on 9/10/2014The food and beer list were both great, but the service was so slow, and there was basically nobody else in the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious VarietynomgnomeDined on 9/1/2014I love the interesting variety of small plates that they have on the menu at the Stops. We had the lamb meatballs, the scallops, and the asparagus when we came, in addition to salads. Everything was incredible. I also enjoyed the beer, but I can't recall which one I had (the list of options were quite long).Special Features:
- A great change for Allston!cgillman99Dined on 8/30/2014This is a slightly more "adult" scene than your normal restaurant/bar in Allston and it's a welcome change. The food is great and the beer and wine offerings are well thought out and delicious - nothing was disappointing. These guys are giving us long time residents of the neighborhood a well deserved break from the high octane "bro" atmosphere Allston can usually serve up. A great oasis!Special Features:
- Really great timeueamanVIPDined on 8/26/2014Went with a friend who lives in the neighborhood and had a really nice time. The maître'd was warm and welcoming, the waitress was attentive and the food was delicious...interesting ingredients and combinations that were well prepared. All in all it was a great time. I look forward to returning soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterVIPDined on 7/22/2014This is a really fine neighborhood place with much-better-than-bar-food offered along with an excellent choice of wines and beers. Very clean, well designed and with pleasant unobtrusive servers. We'll make sure to come back again soon.Special Features:
- Hidden but convenient & deliciousRachaelDined on 7/18/2014Very centrally located, just a few blocks over from most of the area bars (and a few blocks from my apartment!). The food was just so much more beyond what we expected, delicious and special...and a good value! Great beer & wine list. Currently, it is a plus that you can reliably walk in and be seated right away, but I hope that more people discover what a great spot this is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place, don't driveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/16/2014I loved the unique menu, the food was awesome, the wine & beer list unique. Only problem is PARKING. But that's our own fault for not taking the T!! We'll definitely go back if we're in the area.Special Features:
- ForartVIPDined on 7/7/2014This is a wonderful restaurant for the neighborhood--lucky people living in this area of Allston! We had an excellent dinner with great service. The small plates were inventive, filled with fresh ingredients, and delicious. so was the "masa" burger. It was a real treat.Special Features:
- best gastropub in townCollieDined on 7/5/2014I have used OpenTable for years and have never written a review. Had to this time. I read about this place in the Globe where it had an awesome review. Great lineage from the owners -- Trade is one of our faves and folks from there run this place. Absolutely fantastic food and an amazing selection of beer and good wines. Not your typical -- nothing like faux English/Irish pub scene -- bright and welcoming. On a quiet neighborhood street a block off Comm Ave but absolutely worth it. We're going back soon now that I've figured out parking.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood jointJackDined on 6/27/2014Elevates the food level in the neighborhood to another level. Lets hope they keep it up!Special Features:
- The following 8 reviews are from the The Glenville Stops reviews archive.
- Neighbourhood gem for DrinkingmeepokmanVIPDined on 6/18/2014Glenville Stops is a hidden gem and hence is not overly crowded. However, do not mistake the quiet joint for poor quality / service. It has a extensive and extremely good list of wine and beer. The quiet setting means that it is an ideal place for a large group of friends to hang out (and without having to shout to have a conversation). The food is pretty good but we wished there were more selection (of mains). The food menu is ideal for small bites / bar bites. Not really the place to go if you would like a full meal.Special Features:
- Worth the hunt!nancyVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food and service were very good! Parking is an issue, but it's really worth the effort!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gastropubannabeleeVIPDined on 6/5/2014This was a last minute reservation because my daughter wanted a burger and I was intrigued by the prominent placement of octopus, bacalao, and ceviche on the menu. All the food was generous in portion and delicious. The service--by the two owners--was warm and thoughtful. I am definitely going back for the octopus and bacalaito and can't wait to try the ceviche. Top-notch, well-curated wine list and beer list. The owners truly care about the wine and beer and let the chef have a great time with many dishes from his native puerto rico. And yes, the burger was delicious, as were the fries.Special Features:
- great addition to AllstonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/3/2014Great food, really nice beer/wine list. Chef and servers were really great! This is an actual restaurant with really good food in Allston, not just a college kid hang out.Special Features:
- Tucked away neighborhood gemChaniganVIPDined on 5/30/2014A very beautifully renovated burnt down building turned neiborhood tavern... Interesting and diverse menu, mostly smaller plates, a great way to try a lot of dishes....the complimentary dip for bread like an eggplant hummus is simply delicious..the waiter is attentive and excellent with remembering 7 or 8 dishes without needing to write it down....only problem is not easy to park in that area unless you have resident permit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/13/2014This place is hidden in Allston but is such a great find. The burgers were delicious, both regular and vegetarian! The beer selection is good and the service was attentive.Special Features:
- Delicious!BCK1rby207Dined on 4/25/2014I had the rib eye with bubble n' squeak. It was great! The best tasting steak I've had in ages. Vegetables were delicious as well. Great beer and wine selection as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindHappyVIPDined on 4/25/2014We had excellent burgers (meat and veggie) and a nice chicken sandwich. The tapas style lamb balls and little grilled cheeses were good as well. The french fries were delicious and the dip served with bread before the meal was awesome. The bears were all good and my Greg Norman wine was tasty. Our server was fantastic. The ambiance was casual, yet warm. It would be a great place to hang out after work. The only challenge they will face is parking. We lucked out and found two parking spots relatively nearby, but most of the parking is for residents only.Special Features: