199 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://emmgrp.com/restaurants/the-general/
- Phone: 2122717101x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 6:00pm-10:00pm, Tuesday & Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm-12:30am, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Hung Huynh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check out our Jazz Room Thursday-Saturday night 7:30PM-12:30AM.
Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room
- Special Events: For events please call 212-271-7101
A word from The General
In early 2013, EMM Group opened their largest Manhattan project to date on the well-worn Lower East Side corner of Bowery and Spring Streets. The 20,000 square-foot property at 199 Bowery houses multiple concepts including The General, a bustling destination restaurant serving up Modern Asian Cuisine in an inspired and imaginative style. Top Chef Season 3 Winner and Executive Chef Hung Huynh has created a menu featuring a wide range of innovative dishes such as the Tuna Tataki BLT, Philly Peppersteak Sweetbuns, Peking Duck and The General's Beef and Broccoli, all marked with creative, culinary twists and turns around traditional eastern flavors to ensure a truly interactive and exciting experience for restaurant patrons. Additional reservations are also available in our Jazz Room, Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
The General - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
The General reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (98)hot spot (95)fit for foodies (74)vibrant bar scene (69)special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (43)late-night find (38)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (21)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- GeneralDoctorstrongsauceVIPDined on 10/11/2014A lot of noise a lot of people the food was good, cool for one time drinks super expensiveSpecial Features:
- Great food & vibe, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Great food is always to be expected at the General. The place was crowded on a Saturday night and a great spot for a date, with one caveat - terrible service. Waited close to an hour for our server to get us our drinks and then when they finally arrived he brought the wrong drink order.Special Features:
- JohanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Great service and even better food. We mixed 3-4 different rolls and lamb, sirloin and filet. Best food this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The sushi was excellent, but some of the other dishes we ordered was very expensive for the amount seved. If the cost was more reasonable for the amount seved , I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food--So So MusicJannVIPDined on 10/4/2014Using a Groupon on Saturday night, we had 2 gin & tonics, one sake, appetizer of rice cakes with tuna and entrees of Lemongrass Chili Shrimp & Bourbon Miso Chilean Sea Bass. Everything was excellent. We ate upstairs and then went downstairs to the Jazz Room. We were seated at the lounge banquette and got our own drinks from the bar as no one approached us in the 45 minutes we seated there. The music was OK but the band only played for 30 minutes and then took a break. We were not impressed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We ate at The General at 7pm on a Saturday after buying a $100 groupon. Overall, the food was good but extremely small for the cost. We had two drinks which, although $15 each, were tasty. Next, we ordered two rolls which were close to $20 each. Not bad, just nothing extraordinary. Size-wise they were not any bigger than what you would get in take out. Next we got the shrimp carpaccio and chicken tacos. Both were SMALL and definitely meant for one person. Finally we had the chocolate dessert which I was very pleased with. For 60-70 per person I expect to not be hungry when I leave but I was. This is NYC so it may be priced for the area but this was unusually small. It was worth the experience given the groupon but I will not return.
- Great food. Ok ServicesBrouczech77Dined on 10/1/2014On food: supprisingly good. I liked everything we ordered: rolls, ribs, seabass, ademame, fried rice, filet mignon. Service: my friend made an unfortunate choice to bring her baby....this is definitely not the right place for it. The baby was being a baby so the staff initially was avoiding our table like a plaque and we had to flag them down for everything. But once the rest of our party arrived the assigned waiter was much better...not great, but all things considered, he was ok. Kuddos to him for the patience with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/30/2014Delicious food. Great atmosphere and service. The Chinese chicken tacos and mercy roll are a must. The Lady With A Dagger cocktail cannot be missed. The green tea donut is a perfect ending. Highly recommend this LES spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a great findgreatfoodDined on 9/27/2014Got a groupon to try this place. Arived right at 730pm greeted by to sexy hostess in lil black dresses. Drinks are inventive and delish. Service was quick but not rushed at all. Food, well lets just say we were still full the next morning we ate so much. Will put this on our list to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food- overpricedAcd271Dined on 9/26/2014There were a few creative dishes that tasted great, but for the most 0f the food was one note, INCREDIBLY greasy, and left a lot to be desired. Service was so-so. Lively atmosphere for those looking for a fun night out. But if you are going here expecting a high calibre of food, it's unlikely to impress
- Enjoyable!hockeymomDined on 9/20/2014Everything was great from the food to the service! Fun place very happening on a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightl9danceDined on 9/19/2014I love the general. I come here about 4-6 times a year and am never disappointed. I just wish the service could be a little better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very UnderwhelmedAllieVIPDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant decor is really fun and I've heard great things, but our party of 4 was very underwhelmed by the quality of the food and the service. When we ordered sides to share they usually came with 5 pieces which meant that we each would have 1 and someone else would get the 5th piece, but before we had time to grab the 5th piece the wait staff would take the plate away. In what world is that ok? The food was VERY average - nothing blew us away. I get better sushi at my neighborhood sushi spot and I get better lamb skewers at Trader Joe's. This is a poor man's Buddakan - although their priced similary.
- Amazing service 4 a group of 4Like2EATDined on 9/19/2014We were greeted with friendliness and sat down at a wonderful table. Our waitress was a great host. We had a groupon and she walked us through the menu. She let us know what dishes and drinks we can select to make our evening complete. We all had our share of appetizer, alcoholic drink, n main dishes. Everything came hot and delicious. Even though the place was noisy, we could hear each other to do some catching up. The person brings our dishes over always announced what was what. The bus boy clean our table frequently. Everything was serve flawless. Everyone around us looked pleased too. Place is huge - stop by n get drinks! Reservation can be done online. I did my via yelp. Oh yeah, even the bathrooms were clean! Jazz club downstairsSpecial Features:
- Bad experience. Won't be backTribecaMikeVIPDined on 9/13/2014I had to wait an hour for a table despite having a reputation. Then they ran out of crispy rice cakes which was one of the main reasons for going there. They forgot to serve an item we ordered. Then our enrtees took more than one hour to arrive. The manager said our order was lost in the kitchen so he gave us free fried rice. Are you kidding me? We already ordered fried rice as a side and now we have two of the same side dish. Then the table next to us was 4 drunk girls who kept screaming at the top of their lungs and no one from the staff asked them to keep it down, they were upsetting many other tables in addition to ours. I never write reviews but this was such a bad experience that I feel compelled to warn others.Special Features:
- Great food but....Diner7VIPDined on 9/13/2014The General serves interesting and delicious food that can be best described as Asian tapas.. The decor is odd, the front room has an industrial shabby chic vibe that's interesting. But the back dining room comes across as shabby old Chinese restaurant. Tables are close together, too Food- fried rice is is terrific, as are the spicy chicken tacos.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedYummy7VIPDined on 9/13/2014I was excited to dine here, until the food came. It was takeout Chinese food at best. We ordered everything at once and our wait or promised it would be spaced out perfectly. It all came at the same time on our tiny table. It wasn't hot or tasty. I was truly disappointed with the food and the service... Would never go back or recommend it!
- Average at BestprapidDined on 9/13/2014I was really looking forward to The General. The food was OK. There wasn't anything I had that wow'd me. Prices were very high for what you get portion wise. I would have rather gone to Chinatown for a third of the cost and the food would have been better. Very disappointed!
- a fun nightGormay13VIPDined on 9/12/2014If I didn't have the groupon discount it would have been too expensive. Get the general roll and crispy rice cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We had three different rolls; The General, Mercy, & Crisp. They were all fantastic! We also had the Chinese Chicken Tacos which were tiny but also very very good. Our server was very friendly. Only complaint was the noise and the tables were so tight that the couple next to us were really loud & annoying but what can ya do. I would def go back.Special Features:
- Great waiters/ rude hostessLuv2dineDined on 9/5/2014I would give this restaurant a five star rating but my first encounter was walking in and being greeted by the hostess. The restaurant was pretty empty and she asked if my full party was here. I said no, the last person is on her way, but asked if can we please sit down. She said no you will have to wait. So I again said politely, my sister is feeling faint and needs sit down, I noticed the restaurant is empty, can we please sit so she can eat something. She then responded with a nasty tone... I don't need to hear it, I just asked you if your party was here, that's it, it's done and she waved me off. Luckily the waiter was awesome...warm, welcoming, informative.Special Features:
- Nice Place!LoulouVIPDined on 9/4/2014Nice place to be. I went to Catch two days before going to General and I think they are similar, but Catch has more personality! The roll General is amazing.Special Features:
- Best sushi I've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014I picked this as a random choice from the area list and am soooo glad I did.....best tuna and lobster roll EVER and another guest had the best filet ever, really really recommend this place for fantastic food at a reasonable price with friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Quantities of OddsSatiatedWulfDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I had an excellent time at The General. Being avid viewers of Top Chef, we were thrilled with the chance to sample a menu by Chef Hung Huynh. The ambiance was delightful with unique decoration, tables, and bar design. Though the restaurant was quite full, we had no issues having an intimate dinner. The food and specialty cocktails were irresistible. Our only criticism was how come all of the portions came out in odd numbers? For example, the mouth watering Voodoo sushi roll was presented to us in five pieces. All of the dishes that we ordered were like this, having either 3 or 5 pieces. It would have been nice for our server to alert us of this trait before ordering. Or perhaps the ability to adjust the order to fit our party.Special Features:
- So-soFoodMavenDined on 8/29/2014The food was very average. I expected more so was disappointed.
- Great place for girls night!JessVIPDined on 8/28/2014I love coming here and sharing the different small plates while I catch up with my friends. The service is amazing, sushi is fresh and the cocktails are great. The chicken tacos and tuna tataki lettuce cups are a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodpandadocVIPDined on 8/27/2014I have been here several times now, this last time I met the chef owner and Top Chef Season 3 winner Hung Huynh who was the perfect host - from our chance meeting at the entrance (he held the door open) to the special little touches to our meal. I have to say he makes the best fried rice I have ever had and closest to my mother's - every other "Chinese" restaurant makes their own versions but none ever are as authentic as his. With great attention to detail, flavor building and layering - but staying true to his Southeast Asian roots; I found every dish - sushi rolls, Robata, Sea bass to be perfection and it is easy to see why he is "Top Chef". I never take time out to write reviews - but this place deserved special attention. Bravo.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Waitress spilt soy sauce on my pants and then claimed she didn't do it. Later she comes back to apologize and says don't worry it will come out. Not impressed and this incident means we will not go back! Service is as important as the food.
- Great TimeMattVIPDined on 8/23/2014Had an absolutely great time! The service really made our visit, though. Our waitress was absolutely lovely. We never felt rushed or pressured, and she was funny to boot!Special Features:
- Great food, Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I took my boyfriend and his friend here for his birthday and this was our first time coming here. It was such a great experience! We scored a coupon from Travel Zoo and spent only $69 for $115 worth of food and drinks. When I come back, I'm definitely ordering the duck buns and green tea doughnuts again! Service was amazing, the waitress was very attentive to any questions and the wait staff always kept our water (and alcoholic beverages) full and table clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Dinner EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014I had a wonderful time here for my birthday. The staff was great and the food was even better!!! I will definitely return. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant is beautiful. Great attentive wait staff. Food is delicious but expensive. If your driving park close the neighborhood is still a little sketchy. We had a great time.Special Features:
- The food was very goodbutterfly2118Dined on 8/16/2014The best Asian Cuisine food I ever tried..I love the boat it has so many different sushi that I never eating before and I love the lobster rolls it was awesome. The drinks was so good I even ask for more even though I was a little buzzed lol....Special Features:
- the generaljoeyDined on 8/15/2014One of the best finds in Manhattan and their sushi is better than nobu the dessert is to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rose624VIPDined on 8/13/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was creative and tasty, although a little pricey. Very uniique place!
- Blown away... In a great way!NeeceD77VIPDined on 8/12/2014This is the 3rd time I've been to The General; however this time by far was the best experience. Our waitress was amazing!! Adriana I believe her name is .. She checked on us throughout our time there was attentive enough without being annoying personal enlighten without being too familiar. The food was exquisite!!! From appetizer to dessert it was so tasty!! Truly one of my favorite places. The ambience and the drinks were remarkable! I couldn't believe how everything was soo perfect! The only drawback is the price! Lol if you have it however it's much better off being spent here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions and overpricedGideonDined on 8/8/2014Went to The General as part of Restaurant Week. Was very disappointed to find several items on the Restaurant Week menu only available for an extra charge - anywhere from an additional $10 to an additional $30 per item. Really defeats the point of Restaurant Week! We ordered the scallops and the szechuan chicken for entrees. Scallops were very tasty and cooked perfectly but the portion was miniscule - 4 medium sized scallops! Who would only eat that much in their main meal?? Even as an appetiser it would have been on the small side. Szechuan chicken was the only dish we had that was a reasonable serving size but it was relatively flavourless. Definitely not the spicy szechuan we were expecting. Won't be going back to The General.
- Surprisingly Good FoodJannVIPDined on 8/8/2014Restaurant Week Dinner First, our waiter, Josh was exceptionally personable & helpful explaining the dishes. We started with Chicken tacos & Hamachi cucumber cups; entrees -Seared Scallops were the better choice, two of the three pieces of Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms were chewy. Desserts of Green Tea Donuts and Sticky Coconut Cake were very satisfying as an ending. The crowd is Twenty Somethings and it is Noisy. They have a Jazz Room downstairs that we intend to try next time.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceAnnaggVIPDined on 8/8/2014Bad service and Disorganized kitchen. Entree came out before the appetizer. After apps were serviced, a second set of apps were brought over to our table and taken back to the kitchen. Waitress took the leftover away to pack and after waiting for a long time, we were told that they were thrown out by mistake. The manager comped us by giving us some chicken and vegetable to take home. Our leftover had been far more expensive items from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem in the RoughCrystal4TDined on 8/7/2014The food was surprising. The flavors just popped in your mouth. The drinks were great! I would defjnity go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.