199 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://emmgrp.com/restaurants/the-general/
- Phone: 2122717101x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 6:00pm-10:00pm, Tuesday & Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm-12:30am, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Hung Huynh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check out our Jazz Room Thursday-Saturday night 7:30PM-12:30AM.
Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room
- Special Events: For events please call 212-271-7101
A word from The General
In early 2013, EMM Group opened their largest Manhattan project to date on the well-worn Lower East Side corner of Bowery and Spring Streets. The 20,000 square-foot property at 199 Bowery houses multiple concepts including The General, a bustling destination restaurant serving up Modern Asian Cuisine in an inspired and imaginative style. Top Chef Season 3 Winner and Executive Chef Hung Huynh has created a menu featuring a wide range of innovative dishes such as the Tuna Tataki BLT, Philly Peppersteak Sweetbuns, Peking Duck and The General's Beef and Broccoli, all marked with creative, culinary twists and turns around traditional eastern flavors to ensure a truly interactive and exciting experience for restaurant patrons. Additional reservations are also available in our Jazz Room, Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
The General - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
The General reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (100)hot spot (91)vibrant bar scene (74)fit for foodies (68)special occasion (56)neighborhood gem (43)late-night find (40)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (19)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- what a great findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Got a groupon to try this place. Arived right at 730pm greeted by to sexy hostess in lil black dresses. Drinks are inventive and delish. Service was quick but not rushed at all. Food, well lets just say we were still full the next morning we ate so much. Will put this on our list to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food- overpricedAcd271Dined on 9/26/2014There were a few creative dishes that tasted great, but for the most 0f the food was one note, INCREDIBLY greasy, and left a lot to be desired. Service was so-so. Lively atmosphere for those looking for a fun night out. But if you are going here expecting a high calibre of food, it's unlikely to impress
- Enjoyable!hockeymomDined on 9/20/2014Everything was great from the food to the service! Fun place very happening on a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightl9danceDined on 9/19/2014I love the general. I come here about 4-6 times a year and am never disappointed. I just wish the service could be a little better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very UnderwhelmedAllieVIPDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant decor is really fun and I've heard great things, but our party of 4 was very underwhelmed by the quality of the food and the service. When we ordered sides to share they usually came with 5 pieces which meant that we each would have 1 and someone else would get the 5th piece, but before we had time to grab the 5th piece the wait staff would take the plate away. In what world is that ok? The food was VERY average - nothing blew us away. I get better sushi at my neighborhood sushi spot and I get better lamb skewers at Trader Joe's. This is a poor man's Buddakan - although their priced similary.
- Amazing service 4 a group of 4Like2EATDined on 9/19/2014We were greeted with friendliness and sat down at a wonderful table. Our waitress was a great host. We had a groupon and she walked us through the menu. She let us know what dishes and drinks we can select to make our evening complete. We all had our share of appetizer, alcoholic drink, n main dishes. Everything came hot and delicious. Even though the place was noisy, we could hear each other to do some catching up. The person brings our dishes over always announced what was what. The bus boy clean our table frequently. Everything was serve flawless. Everyone around us looked pleased too. Place is huge - stop by n get drinks! Reservation can be done online. I did my via yelp. Oh yeah, even the bathrooms were clean! Jazz club downstairsSpecial Features:
- Bad experience. Won't be backTribecaMikeVIPDined on 9/13/2014I had to wait an hour for a table despite having a reputation. Then they ran out of crispy rice cakes which was one of the main reasons for going there. They forgot to serve an item we ordered. Then our enrtees took more than one hour to arrive. The manager said our order was lost in the kitchen so he gave us free fried rice. Are you kidding me? We already ordered fried rice as a side and now we have two of the same side dish. Then the table next to us was 4 drunk girls who kept screaming at the top of their lungs and no one from the staff asked them to keep it down, they were upsetting many other tables in addition to ours. I never write reviews but this was such a bad experience that I feel compelled to warn others.Special Features:
- Great food but....Diner7VIPDined on 9/13/2014The General serves interesting and delicious food that can be best described as Asian tapas.. The decor is odd, the front room has an industrial shabby chic vibe that's interesting. But the back dining room comes across as shabby old Chinese restaurant. Tables are close together, too Food- fried rice is is terrific, as are the spicy chicken tacos.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedYummy7VIPDined on 9/13/2014I was excited to dine here, until the food came. It was takeout Chinese food at best. We ordered everything at once and our wait or promised it would be spaced out perfectly. It all came at the same time on our tiny table. It wasn't hot or tasty. I was truly disappointed with the food and the service... Would never go back or recommend it!
- Average at BestprapidDined on 9/13/2014I was really looking forward to The General. The food was OK. There wasn't anything I had that wow'd me. Prices were very high for what you get portion wise. I would have rather gone to Chinatown for a third of the cost and the food would have been better. Very disappointed!
- a fun nightGormay13VIPDined on 9/12/2014If I didn't have the groupon discount it would have been too expensive. Get the general roll and crispy rice cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We had three different rolls; The General, Mercy, & Crisp. They were all fantastic! We also had the Chinese Chicken Tacos which were tiny but also very very good. Our server was very friendly. Only complaint was the noise and the tables were so tight that the couple next to us were really loud & annoying but what can ya do. I would def go back.Special Features:
- Great waiters/ rude hostessLuv2dineDined on 9/5/2014I would give this restaurant a five star rating but my first encounter was walking in and being greeted by the hostess. The restaurant was pretty empty and she asked if my full party was here. I said no, the last person is on her way, but asked if can we please sit down. She said no you will have to wait. So I again said politely, my sister is feeling faint and needs sit down, I noticed the restaurant is empty, can we please sit so she can eat something. She then responded with a nasty tone... I don't need to hear it, I just asked you if your party was here, that's it, it's done and she waved me off. Luckily the waiter was awesome...warm, welcoming, informative.Special Features:
- Nice Place!LoulouVIPDined on 9/4/2014Nice place to be. I went to Catch two days before going to General and I think they are similar, but Catch has more personality! The roll General is amazing.Special Features:
- Best sushi I've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014I picked this as a random choice from the area list and am soooo glad I did.....best tuna and lobster roll EVER and another guest had the best filet ever, really really recommend this place for fantastic food at a reasonable price with friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Quantities of OddsSatiatedWulfDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I had an excellent time at The General. Being avid viewers of Top Chef, we were thrilled with the chance to sample a menu by Chef Hung Huynh. The ambiance was delightful with unique decoration, tables, and bar design. Though the restaurant was quite full, we had no issues having an intimate dinner. The food and specialty cocktails were irresistible. Our only criticism was how come all of the portions came out in odd numbers? For example, the mouth watering Voodoo sushi roll was presented to us in five pieces. All of the dishes that we ordered were like this, having either 3 or 5 pieces. It would have been nice for our server to alert us of this trait before ordering. Or perhaps the ability to adjust the order to fit our party.Special Features:
- So-soFoodMavenDined on 8/29/2014The food was very average. I expected more so was disappointed.
- Great place for girls night!JessVIPDined on 8/28/2014I love coming here and sharing the different small plates while I catch up with my friends. The service is amazing, sushi is fresh and the cocktails are great. The chicken tacos and tuna tataki lettuce cups are a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodpandadocVIPDined on 8/27/2014I have been here several times now, this last time I met the chef owner and Top Chef Season 3 winner Hung Huynh who was the perfect host - from our chance meeting at the entrance (he held the door open) to the special little touches to our meal. I have to say he makes the best fried rice I have ever had and closest to my mother's - every other "Chinese" restaurant makes their own versions but none ever are as authentic as his. With great attention to detail, flavor building and layering - but staying true to his Southeast Asian roots; I found every dish - sushi rolls, Robata, Sea bass to be perfection and it is easy to see why he is "Top Chef". I never take time out to write reviews - but this place deserved special attention. Bravo.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Waitress spilt soy sauce on my pants and then claimed she didn't do it. Later she comes back to apologize and says don't worry it will come out. Not impressed and this incident means we will not go back! Service is as important as the food.
- Great TimeMattVIPDined on 8/23/2014Had an absolutely great time! The service really made our visit, though. Our waitress was absolutely lovely. We never felt rushed or pressured, and she was funny to boot!Special Features:
- Great food, Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I took my boyfriend and his friend here for his birthday and this was our first time coming here. It was such a great experience! We scored a coupon from Travel Zoo and spent only $69 for $115 worth of food and drinks. When I come back, I'm definitely ordering the duck buns and green tea doughnuts again! Service was amazing, the waitress was very attentive to any questions and the wait staff always kept our water (and alcoholic beverages) full and table clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Dinner EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014I had a wonderful time here for my birthday. The staff was great and the food was even better!!! I will definitely return. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very goodbutterfly2118Dined on 8/16/2014The best Asian Cuisine food I ever tried..I love the boat it has so many different sushi that I never eating before and I love the lobster rolls it was awesome. The drinks was so good I even ask for more even though I was a little buzzed lol....Special Features:
- the generaljoeyDined on 8/15/2014One of the best finds in Manhattan and their sushi is better than nobu the dessert is to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rose624VIPDined on 8/13/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was creative and tasty, although a little pricey. Very uniique place!
- Blown away... In a great way!NeeceD77VIPDined on 8/12/2014This is the 3rd time I've been to The General; however this time by far was the best experience. Our waitress was amazing!! Adriana I believe her name is .. She checked on us throughout our time there was attentive enough without being annoying personal enlighten without being too familiar. The food was exquisite!!! From appetizer to dessert it was so tasty!! Truly one of my favorite places. The ambience and the drinks were remarkable! I couldn't believe how everything was soo perfect! The only drawback is the price! Lol if you have it however it's much better off being spent here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions and overpricedGideonDined on 8/8/2014Went to The General as part of Restaurant Week. Was very disappointed to find several items on the Restaurant Week menu only available for an extra charge - anywhere from an additional $10 to an additional $30 per item. Really defeats the point of Restaurant Week! We ordered the scallops and the szechuan chicken for entrees. Scallops were very tasty and cooked perfectly but the portion was miniscule - 4 medium sized scallops! Who would only eat that much in their main meal?? Even as an appetiser it would have been on the small side. Szechuan chicken was the only dish we had that was a reasonable serving size but it was relatively flavourless. Definitely not the spicy szechuan we were expecting. Won't be going back to The General.
- Surprisingly Good FoodJannVIPDined on 8/8/2014Restaurant Week Dinner First, our waiter, Josh was exceptionally personable & helpful explaining the dishes. We started with Chicken tacos & Hamachi cucumber cups; entrees -Seared Scallops were the better choice, two of the three pieces of Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms were chewy. Desserts of Green Tea Donuts and Sticky Coconut Cake were very satisfying as an ending. The crowd is Twenty Somethings and it is Noisy. They have a Jazz Room downstairs that we intend to try next time.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceAnnaggVIPDined on 8/8/2014Bad service and Disorganized kitchen. Entree came out before the appetizer. After apps were serviced, a second set of apps were brought over to our table and taken back to the kitchen. Waitress took the leftover away to pack and after waiting for a long time, we were told that they were thrown out by mistake. The manager comped us by giving us some chicken and vegetable to take home. Our leftover had been far more expensive items from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem in the RoughCrystal4TDined on 8/7/2014The food was surprising. The flavors just popped in your mouth. The drinks were great! I would defjnity go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time, probably won't go backPBuntingDined on 8/6/2014I had a good time at the General. Great ambiance, crowded and playing some great music. Food was very good, we had 5 people and split rolls, hot small plates, fried rice and then two desserts. All the food definitely had "wow factor". Our waitress, who was pretty much never to be found and rude should have recommended the amount of food needed to order. Our table was not able to finish about 1/3 of the plates that we ordered due to over-ordering after we asked her how much she recommended. All of this when The General is fairly pricey.Special Features:
- Hot SceneluvedItDined on 8/6/2014A bit pricey, but the food was quite tasty and the scenery was on display. Try the peeking duck, it's delicious and the lobster roll app was something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Asian inspired food in NYCmsbnyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great food, great cocktails and very god ambiance. Chicken tacos & the crispy shrimp to die for!!! Hung's fried rice--amazing! All of the sushi rolls are delicious. Have brought friends and family here. A must try. Furthermore we had the NICEST server ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taster's DelightMurgatroydDined on 8/2/2014We had the tasting menu and it was delicious. The crispy shrimp, enrobed in a velvety sauce, was addictive - as was the fried rice, which was among the best I've had. The cocktails were original and excellent. The service was ultra-professional and the setting was glamorous. Could be a go-to spot before a show at the Bowery Ballroom or a movie at Landmark Sunshine Cinema.Special Features:
- started it out excited..FranchiDined on 8/1/2014One of my favorite time of the year is Restaurant week because of course you get to have an amazing meal for an amazing price. I have been to the General on many occasions, last year for restaurant week which was amazing. The food tasted great the service was great so i was excited to have a ladies night out here. This time not so much the food was not as fresh and my amazing green tea donut which I had been boasting about all day long felt flat in flavor as well as the presentation. Our server just seemed out of it like if us restaurant week folks didn't deserve the Same attention as the people who were there buying from the regular menu. I was really disappointed with my experience at the general, I won't be back for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaneeDined on 8/1/2014Hosts were not friendly or apologetic for seating us 30 min after our reservation. Sushi was not bad however the rest of the food was mediocre. Most likely would not go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014The hostesses had attitude. The table service was indifferent and inattentive. It's too bad, because the food was excellent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Restaurant week price is not restaurant week price. Too much added costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the general was okseabiscuitDined on 7/30/2014good food and drinks small portions and rather pricey. best part of dinner was the green tea donutsSpecial Features: