The General Jazz Room
199 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
The General Jazz Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://emmgrp.com/restaurants/jazz-room-at-the-general/
- Phone: 2126271235x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Hung Huynh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The General Jazz Room
EMM Group is pleased to announce the Jazz Room at The General, now open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings until 12:30am, as an extension of the The General's 300 seat Modern Asian restaurant at 199 Bowery. Jazz Room diners can savor The General's full dinner and specialty cocktail menus while enjoying an authentic, live performance in this unique dining environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
The General Jazz Room - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
The General Jazz Room reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (17)special occasion (12)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (8)romantic (7)hot spot (7)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- great food and tunesjcmpVIPDined on 9/5/2014loved all the food! great service. we were seated right in front of the stage so it was a little loud but we could have asked to move if we wanted, overall great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food loverlove2eatVIPDined on 8/23/2014I have been two the jazz room at the general twice now. I can't rave enough about this place! The jazz band is a nice change of pace from the typical hot spots. The food is always delicious especially the Chinese tacos!This restaurant is great for big groups and the service is always very good.Special Features:
- Bachelorette PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014This was a great place for our bachelorette party. The servers were very friendly and the food was great. The music was awesome!! Great performers!Special Features:
- amazinglove2eatVIPDined on 7/19/2014This place is amazing. I am obsessed with the general. I heard of the jazz room and decided to finally check it out. Boy, I didn't realize what I have been missing. It is a whole different world downstairs in the jazz room. It is really fun for groups and it has live music. The band is amazing. I went with three other friends and we ended up having such a good time we stayed their all night. The food is delicious as always especially the chinese tacos.Special Features:
- Great!Mar2014Dined on 7/18/2014We had a fantastic time there. Also, the food is very, very good!Special Features:
- Fantastic vibe and food-I'm hookedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Went for the music and the food and I am hooked. I had heard good things but having experienced it first hand I am looking forward to being a regular. The waitress was attentive and helpful, the food delicious, and the atmosphere made it fun time. There were only two of us but next time will be with a larger group.Special Features:
- Jazz Room is not the GeneralSparkyVIPDined on 6/20/2014We were recommended to The General for the food. Didn't realize The Jazz Rrom was where we made reservations until we arrived. Hostess assured us it was the same menu downstairs as upstairs, but with music. The room and food were great; however, after the first song ended the band announced their first "special guest." It was a stripper! My daughter and I were quite shocked to say the least. We had to sit through 2 more performances until our check was cashed out. Not at all what we were expecting.
- Good but not extraordinaryRoymonVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great Music & Kind Service. It was good, however not enough for me to come back all the way from Midtown west, where I live.
- Nice music fine foodMnagolaDined on 6/6/2014The place was nice and vibrant, service was great. The music and the musicians were real good. The dishes are a bit small but the food is tasty.Special Features:
- Go to Spot in NYC!NewYorkSouthernBelleDined on 5/31/2014I love this restaurant. I take all my visitors here for dinner and jazz show before a night out in the Lower East Side.Special Features:
- great food!!!mickeyDined on 5/30/2014loved everything about the jazz room! Food was AMAZINGLY good! The music was a little too loud in the begining but it got better as the night went on. The show was very entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the The General Jazz Room reviews archive.
- Date night for twoNYGuyDined on 5/10/2014Great place to bring a date. Dinner and a show are a great combination. I didn't realize there would be a live band. The band was fun, and kept the place vibrant and energetic. The prices aren't the most reasonable, but it's worth the cost when you factor in the entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been 3 times in 6 months!critiqueVIPDined on 5/10/2014Absolutely love gathering friends & dining at the General Jazz Room. The tapas style food is delicious! I think we've ordered just about everything on the menu! The entertainment adds to the value of a great place to go for fab food & ambiance!Special Features:
- Right back to the 50`sViol75Dined on 5/9/2014Really through us back to the 50`s! Amazing atmosphere and show - we were euforic!! We were there on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The General Club RoomJoletsDined on 4/19/2014Maybe it was due to going on a Saturday night, but it definitely wasn't jazz, couldn't hear a thing at the table, and the food was mediocre at best. If you're into a scene and gimmicky aesthetics with food better on paper than on your plate you'll be satisfied.Special Features:
- Great!!MichelleDined on 4/18/2014The jazz room is so fun! I took my mom there and we had a great time. Such good food and a fun activity for a Friday night! I highly suggest itSpecial Features:
- I already loved eating atTaylorDined on 4/4/2014I already loved eating at The General but the Jazz Room on Friday night is so, so much fun and may be my favorite of the two! I would not bring children as there are burlesque dancers but the vibe is so lively and a great way to celebrate the work week ending. It's really loud which we loved because we were going out, but if you are hard of hearing/want a more intimate vibe stick with The General upstairs. Food is delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time here; ready toFrankShirtsVIPDined on 3/22/2014Third time here; ready to go back soon Great Music,Food(especially the appetizers), friendly waiters and waitresses Seated Promptly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazzy DinnerdeezertVIPDined on 3/22/2014Ive been to this restaurant for dinner before. The food is pretty good, not amazing The amazing show made the whole experience so much better. WOW!! The service is terrible. Some of the staff isn't friendly. Would def go back though and sit downstairs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly Efficient ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/22/2014My date and I went Saturday night to see Juicebox, they were great! The General Jazz Room is chic and beautiful, I love the red leather chairs. The food is like Catch, with more of an Asian twist. It's delicious. However, the service is overly efficient. We ordered after drinks being approached by the staff 3 times. After ordering dinner, our appetizers showed up within 2 minutes. I know they are trying to turn tables quickly, but the overly efficient service lacks soul.Special Features:
- Love Live MusicSophiebDined on 3/15/2014We had a ball. The music and band was quite lively. The food and service was wonderful. Our waitress didn't miss a step. We definitely will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz Room is amazingShoegirlnycDined on 3/1/2014This was my 2nd time dining at the Jazz Room but was my first time with live entertainment. We were seated right in the center front so my boyfriend and I had the best seats in the house. Food was delicious as usual. We had the chicken wraps, the chinese chicken tacos, and Pow roll to start all so different but could not get enough. I had the lemongrass shrimp and he had the chilean sea bass for entrees. All the food was excellent with quality ingredients. If you ever have a chance to Juice box perform, run and get a table at The Jazz room as they are amazing and I couldn't take my eyes off the lead singer who was powerful and mesmerizing in her performance.Special Features:
- You can't go wrongElbatanounyVIPDined on 2/28/2014I have dined at The General main dining room quite a few times and this was our first time at The Jazz room. All I have to say is, it will be difficult for me to ever go to the main dinning area and not the jazz room. The service is waaay better at the jazz room and the ambiance is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceMichele531VIPDined on 2/22/2014Kudos to Stephanie, our waitress, who came through for us when we had some issues with our table. The manager also made sure that we were satisfied with the service and the food. We loved the jazz show, worth checking out. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceChopperDined on 2/22/2014Food was delicious. Waitress was very pleasant also. Hostesses and bar staff however were very rude. The restaurant would benefit from competent front end management.
- Amazing!FortheloveoffoodDined on 2/15/2014This place has incredible food, service and entertainment! Will be back forsure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day DinnerzoeeeDined on 2/14/2014Wow i booked this restaurant for my BF and i... It was lovely, i loved the dark lighting.... the live jazz chris norton was amazing. We had a table right in front of the band, & i LOVED LOVED LOVED how the seats at the table were placed, close enough to hold hands. It was such a magical romantic evening. By far the best experience ever!!!! Worth every penny no joke. I paid for it as it was my gift and it was around $200 for people. I would def recommend, the food was out of the world. Caviar and oysters never tasted so good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VibesFrankShirtsVIPDined on 2/8/2014The General has amazing character,and promotes that THE BOWERY is back!Special Features:
- Dinner & MusicVinnieVanDearoIIIDined on 2/8/2014The Jazz room is a very cool room with a speak easy feel to it. The music was great just a bit to loud. And the food was also great but the menu is limited. We got there on the early side (7.45pm) so ther service was spot on at first. As the evening progressed and the room filled up (which is what you want) the kitchen got a little overwhelemed and they 'lost' our last sushi roll. We hung out till about 10.30pm and the place was jumping, both downstairs and upstairs. Overall this was my second time there and I'd definately go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was EXCELLENT -- everythingsincewhendoineedanicknameVIPDined on 1/18/2014Food was EXCELLENT -- everything was extremely tasty! We did have to wait quite a while for our table given we had a reservation, but otherwise, everything was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant, energetic and good funDavidDined on 11/1/2013Being a fan of Top Chef I watched Chef Hung win the 3rd season so I was anxious to taste his food. when i went on the General website to book a resevation I saw that he has a Jazz Room with the same menu as the restaurant. My wife and I love jazz so we made our reservation for the Jazz Room. I thought that we would have dinner with some background jazz but to our surprise there was a show. Christopher Norton was there and he and his band were terrific. they put on a great show of classic jazz music. they really got the crowd into it. there was tremendous energy in the club and it was a fantastic evening. Oh the food was wonderful too. we had the duck which I highly recommend. the chocolate trifle dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great music and good foodBKfoodlvrDined on 10/26/2013went with a group of 8. sat in the front for the jazz show. the food was fantastic - a great mix for all different types of eaters. the waiters, despite the noise, tried their best to bring us food and drinks around the clock. we stayed for 4 hours, watching the band and eating. it was a tone of fun and i would definitely go back with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a pretty good time ...serviceTaraDined on 10/19/2013Had a pretty good time ...service was ok, I would stick to sushi when ordering, the desserts are fantastic. waitress & staff were super friendly. Overall, The Jazz room was a lot of funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulFromNYCVIPDined on 10/11/2013They over booked us and we had to sit upstairs at the sushi bar. When we went down later to the jazz room there were no performances.
- A gem in the city!Nycitigrl99Dined on 10/10/2013Excellent place if you want a different kind of experience. There was an issue with the service the night we were there, but the manager and waiter went out of their way to take care of us. The food was awesome and the musicians were excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a fun night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBEL TERRIBLEZECAVIPDined on 10/3/2013No show of jazz , TERRIBLE food and service . I haver today the no show jazz.INCREDIBLE. I know more then 100 restaurants in NYC and this General is the WORTHEST .
- They put us at a table byJn1621VIPDined on 9/28/2013They put us at a table by the hostess stand. Please make sure when you make a reservation you clearly state you want to be in main dining room by the band because we had no view and it sounded like the music was in the distance. Next, the service was horrendous-. i get it, its a saturday night and you are busy. Guess what everywhere on a Saturday night in NYC is busy and they still manage to get drinks to you without waiting 45 minutes spans. The drinks were pricey at about $16 per but typical for NYC. When our waiter finally took our order after about an hour and a half the dishes started coming out and they were less then tapas size plates. The tacos are taquitos. I definitely do not recommend this restaurant. Bad very bad.
- fun night outkoseykatDined on 9/7/2013great vibe! go for the atmosphere and music not the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!! Went becauseJosie102071Dined on 8/15/2013Loved this place!! Went because a friend was playing in a band (Silya and the sailors) and just loved. Excellent service, hostess was wonderful and accommodating when I had to change reservation. Music was great. Overall, definitely awesome experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night PlaceFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2013Excellent food, great music, vibrant ambience and chic crowd. What more could you ask for? The servers were super nice and knowledgeable about the menu. The band was pretty good as well. Relaxing and enjoyable experience. Looks like a great spot for a group night out as well.Special Features: