The General Greene
Brooklyn, NY 11205Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The General Greene
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thegeneralgreene.com/
- Phone: (718) 222-1510
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Breakfast/Lunch: Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Michael T. McCabe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Clermont
- Public Transit: From the B,M,Q,R trains to Dekalb Ave - Get out of the train at Flatbush and Dekalb. Walk up Dekalb against traffic 12 blocks. We are located on the left hand side of the street on the corner of Clermont and Dekalb.
From the C train to Lafayette - Exit the train at S. Portland and Fulton St. Walk on S. Portland against traffic for 2 blocks
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from The General Greene
Recently named to the Michelin "Bib Gourmand" list for the second year, The General Greene is a Seasonal American Restaurant with a menu "guaranteed to steal the hearts of the upscale bohemian crowd that floods this neighborhood" (Michelin Guide 2012). Offering organic poultry, grass feed meats and wild caught fish, Executive Chef, Michael T. McCabe has also introduce a variety of vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options. Chef McCabe has also paired over 15 wines, specialty cocktails, ports and beers to enhance the customer's culinary journey. The General Greene "shows a respect for ingredients and flickers of inspiration that blur the line between a casual local joint and a restaurant worth crossing ZIP codes to get to." (Frank Bruni-NY Times)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The General Greene reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Past its primeBookJenDined on 10/18/2014We expected to love this place and we were disappointed. The menu was interesting but the food (kale salad, smoked salmon apps; burger and pork tenderloin entrees) was salty and underwhelming. We would have ordered dessert to try but our server disappeared after dropping off our entrees.
- Great food1foodluvrDined on 10/5/2014Great service, great food, great atmosphere! I definitely would dine there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dead on a WeeknightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014We arrived at around 9 or so on a weeknight, and the place was completely dead. The service was anemic--it took an unbelievable eternity to get drinks delivered, when nobody was in the house--and, thankfully, the food was quite good. It's unlikely I'll return for dinner, though I once had a nice brunch there many months ago.
- The following 52 reviews are from the The General Greene reviews archive.
- Perfect for before or after BAMLexidocVIPDined on 6/14/2014A low-key comfortable place near BAM with a menu that has something for everyone, meat eaters and vegetarians. Well prepared using seasonal fresh ingredients. Very pleasant ambience. Nice place to linger after a show.Special Features:
- sillyDined on 6/8/2014GREAT STAFF! just wished they played or had Brazilian Music after Brazil world cup games and not just Spanish Band
- New chef did away with some goodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014The food was all very good, but apparently there is a new chef and s/he's done away with some standout goodies- notably, the biscuits used to be absolutely amazing and served with honey butter. Now they taste like any old biscuit. Also there used to be a dessert that was like a giant chocolate chip cookie cooked in a skillet with ice cream on top. The waiter said that's gone too.Special Features:
- The kale salad and the cheesePietVanPeterDined on 2/26/2014The kale salad and the cheese grits are excellent....the food is consistent in its quality and never disappoints......creative mixed drinks too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what happened???!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014This used to be such a gem.... The entrees were fine but the appetizers were just inedible - the kale salad was saturated in dressing and just gross...
- love this placeauntyfascistVIPDined on 2/9/2014this place gives true meaning to the term wait staff. you sit and they make you wait. shame cause food is border brilliant.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/1/2014The food was delicious- um, those biscuits with maple syrup and pecans are AMAZING. The service unfortunately needs to get better. They were all very nice, but everything took too long- to order the drinks, for the drinks to come, to order the food, for the food to come, etc. Plus they were out of a lot, but things that didn't make sense- the ingredients to make a cocktail with cucumber? vanilla ice cream? Plus online it says they have deviled eggs but they do not :(I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful local Ft GreeneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/11/2014Wonderful local Ft Greene restaurant with a southern flavor menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service, great foodHori01Dined on 12/31/2013It's a shame. They had three people working the entire floor on nye. That includes hostess, bartender, and 2 waiters ( still only 3 people). It's not their fault that it takes 20 minutes to get a drink out or 15 min to get your order. They have to many jobs to do. This restaurant would be amazing if they hired a bartender and another Waiter. However, the food was amazing. The fried chicken and buttermilk biscuits are a must. The mussels a must. Our drinks were great. The food definitely made up for the service. And again, I just kind of felt bad for them.Special Features:
- Food is consistently great.JonathanDined on 12/20/2013Food is consistently great. Great seasonal food and drinks. Overall delicious and fantastic restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvoidOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013Service was torture. Food was edible at best if/and when it arrived.
- Really hit the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2013We were looking for a bite in the general vicinity of BAM's theaters and boy did we hit on a winner with The General Greene! If you are in the mood for creative comfort food with a seasonal tilt, and a modern approach to quality cocktails, I highly recommend it. Will definitely be on my short-list when I'm in the Fort Green area.Special Features:
- Enjoyed my birthday dinnerVdayVIPDined on 10/17/2013Enjoyed my birthday dinner here with my fiance. This was our first time at The General Greene, and I found it using OpenTable. Food was good, and came pretty quickly. The restaurant only had a few diners, so assuming thats why our food came as quick as it did. The drinks were good that we ordered, and the decor was nice. I would recommend to friends looking for a nice place to eat on a date or just hanging with friends.Special Features:
- Excellent DeKalb restauarantNickDined on 10/12/2013There's something for everyone on the menu, and it is all tasty. I suggest avoiding the burger during dinner; though it's good, it's not a standout compared to the other excellent entrees. You must try their fantastic house-made ice cream for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasant, nice food andxobalDined on 8/9/2013very pleasant, nice food and nice people. I don't believe in over rating restaurants. If its bad it should have no stars. 5 stars is ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day treatashfpDined on 6/16/2013We went for Father's Day with my in-laws, and though they weren't encouraged by the decor, (it's not the fanciest spot in the nabe) once they saw the menu, they were sold. The food was delicious! We shared the cheese 'n mac as an appetizer and the pork chop was yummy, too. I enjoyed the whole branzino, but would have appreciated knowing it came on the bone. And be sure to save room for ice cream — they make their own!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had breafast at The GeneralOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2013I had breafast at The General Greene. Great French toast and omelettes. Good coffee. Friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go only if you are deafOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/18/2013The noise level is so horribly loud that I couldn't eat fast enough and get out! Food was ok - fried chicken with escarole. Escarole was tough and hard to cut. It might look better in one piece but should be chopped up to actually eat it. We were never asked our name even though I said I had a reservation.
- I moved to Fort Greene threeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/12/2013I moved to Fort Greene three years ago and use to bring everyone to the General Greene. I do still really like the food but it does not seem as good as it use to be. The selection is not as interesting and it just seems to have fallen off a bit. The service was off as well (maybe it was just that particular person because it is usually very good. I wonder if they have changed Chef's? Maybe that's it. I would bring people and they would leave with rave reviews and now not so much. I'm looking for the General Greene that was the hot spot three years ago!Special Features:
- My sister, a friend and IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013My sister, a friend and I went Saturday night. We had the beet and kale salads, both of which were great. My shrimp and grits was excellent. I didn't try the fried chicken my friend ordered but it looked and smelled great and he cleaned his plate. I will definitely go back and would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Took my girlfriend to dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Took my girlfriend to dinner here for Valentine's Day. Never been there before but used to live in the area and had always heard great things about General Greene; they were all true. The food and atmosphere were both fantastic. I had a filet of fried catfish that was excellent, and my girlfriend had a burger that came with caramelized shallots that was absolutely amazing. The atmosphere was excellent, low lighting but not dark, and sort a vintage look without being too obvious about it. We had two cocktails that were excellent; a tequila based drink called the cat's meow, and a take on an old fashioned that used fig puree that was fantastic. My only complaint was that the service was a little slow, but we were going at peak time on V day.Special Features:
- The food was delicious butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013The food was delicious but the waitress we had was not the most attentive. She brought our coffee but forgot our dessert order and left us sitting there for a long time while we tried to get her attention for either the dessert or the check. Aside from that, the rustic feel of the restaurant and the food make it worth a repeat visit.Special Features:
- The General's in Top FormBrooklyniteVIPDined on 2/1/2013Quintessential Fort Greene hot spot. Brick walls and wooden tables. New chef has kitchen at peak form, focused on classics. Recent example: absolutely world-class duck confit; inventive, light eggplant parm. Bottom line: everything culinary better than expected, exceptional wine list/cocktail menu, plus genre-appropriate low-key, friendly, welcoming service. Great client mix keeps the place lively until late.Special Features:
- Cute little place, nice bar,Hensel310VIPDined on 11/24/2012Cute little place, nice bar, good food. Our waiter was pathetic. He started serving the table next to us....who had been seated 15 minutes after we had. (can't believe I tipped him). The other waitstaff was terrific and our food, (fried chicken, vegie burgers, pickles, deviled eggs) was delicious once it all arrived. nice list of cocktails. fire that crummy waiter (who looked like he had a fake mustache and goatee) and we will return.
- The food wasn't quite as goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2012The food wasn't quite as good as the first time I went but General Greene is still one of my new favorites. There always seems to be a nice crowd without the space getting too noisy and the aesthetic is perfect for my tastes. I look forward to going back again in the summer when I'll be looking forward to their salted caramel ice cream sundae.Special Features:
- Ice cream wins!VeniceeatsVIPDined on 10/21/2012Enjoyed the restaurant decor and our waiter was very pleasant young man. It took awhile for our order to be filled but we were satisfied when it arrived. The fried chicken was quite good as were the scallops. The caramel ice cream was the best. I would return for the ice cream. They were out of some menu items even though we were there early - 6:30. I do not understand why they have been rated by Michelin when there are better restaurants very nearby that do a better job at taking care of the customer. Pleasant but not outstanding experience.
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2012We had a wonderful dinner here. Were concerned about the service based on other reviews but everyone clearly made a real effort and the service was OUTSTANDING! Food was very good, chocolate fondant was memorable and it was a great evening thanks to everyone at the General Greene! Definitely returning!Special Features:
- The food is great the friedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2012The food is great the fried chicken worth a new pants size...Special Features:
- Enjoy The GreeneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012Had a great evening. Ice cream a must have here. Would recommend it to all.Special Features:
- Such a shame. 8 year old ordersOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/7/2012Such a shame. 8 year old orders a drink and it shows up as an alcoholic beverage. Brilliant! Apology? Barely. Response from the server, "I hit the wrong button". Wife orders an alcoholic drink that arrives without alcohol. Server's response, "yes it does". It really did not. The appropriate response would have been, "I'm sorry I'll get you another". Not at this place. Wife orders a salad as an appetizer and her meal comes with a salad so she requests a vegetable with her main course. After checking with the kitchen our server comes back and says we can substitute TONIGHT only. Wow, it was like the Pope had granted us special dispensation for allowing us to order spinach. A million places in Bkln w/ better food,good service & NO ATTITUDE.
- Generally GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2012The food was good, the drinks were good, and our waitress was very kind. The AC was blasting and made the long wait for all of these things rather uncomfortable. At some point, however, after asking our waitress, the AC was turned down/off, which made the end of the meal more enjoyable. The highlights were the french onion soup with mushrooms, the spinach/artichoke dip, the fried chicken entree (even though the spinach was deep fried..why bother serving a vegetable if it's fried?) and the monkfish & gnocchi. I would go back again.Special Features:
- sadly, service was very slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2012i love this restaurant. the first time i dined here i was blown away. the service was stellar, food was to die for and the ambience was lovely. i went back for a birthday celebration this past weekend and the service was terrible (the poor server looked like she was the only one on) as the manager/host chatted with a friend. it took 10-15 minutes before anyone offered to take our drink order after we were seated. we ordered our appetizers the same time as the drink order, and the small plates took 20-25 minutes to come out. we were there very early in the evening and were surprised that the service was so slow. luckily when the food arrived,we were blown away. i'd love to go back to give it another try,but gun shy about the service.Special Features:
- good food, terrible amcianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2012After entering the loudest place in town, we immediately canceled our 7pm reservation. This is a hotspot, a jumping place where noisy people come to eat and drink. But the host offered us outdoor seating, which was light years quieter. I decided not to cancel. The outdoor seating was cramped but an improvement. The service was helpful and semi-friendly. The food was good - burger for me, well done, with ten delicious french fries. Yes, ten. Anyway, I also had a biscuit with maple confit. I didn't like the confit but I did enjoy eating the biscuit with vegetarian chili. I think the confit is a bad idea, but the biscuit goes well with chili.Special Features:
- The drinks are especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2012The drinks are especially creative and inspired - and you can't beat the happy hour specials. Come early for a drink and hors d'oeuvres.Special Features:
- We checked in, were greetedBstrohVIPDined on 4/28/2012We checked in, were greeted by a rushed waitress who didnt check our names, and were told to sit wherever we wanted. Then nothing for 15 'minutes. No one came to the table, said hello, 'I'll be right with you,' nothing. We watched for a while as a couple of people who came in after us were waited on, then we got up and left. A terrible mess of a place, brimming with bad Hipster attitude.
- Fair to goodchakronVIPDined on 4/15/2012Some irritations. While we like vegetables al dente, the brussels sprouts with wild mushrooms (and smoked bacon) were a just bit TOO dente and also under-seasoned, with the only salt seemingly in the bits of bacon. (Mentioned to the server, she offered to have the kitchen send a new batch...we declined). The monkfish and porcini gnocchi main course yielded gnocchi that were (apparently) fried, which made them pretty stodgy - would not recommend this. However, my wife's main course - it was a special for the day - was very good indeed. All in all, gets a fair rating.
- Took us over 15 min to getOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/14/2012Took us over 15 min to get seated even though we had a reservation, service was slow when it finally began and the food was very mediocre (for all of us).