The Gelston House
8 Main St.
East Haddam, CT 06423Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Gelston House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://gelstonhouse.com/
- Phone: (860) 873-1411
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: June Shea 8608731411
A word from The Gelston House
Gelston House offers Fine Dining with a spectacular setting with a view of the Connecticut River. Exquisite Cuisine and excellent service. ** Please allow an hour and forty five minutes for pre-theatre reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Gelston House - Best Restaurants in East Haddam ›
The Gelston House reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (41)special occasion (21)great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Engaging PrologueUlysses4VIPDined on 11/6/2014For many years, dining at the Gelston House was more convenient than memorable. Being next door to the Goodspeed Opera House meant a lot of near captive audiences. While those audiences tend to be relatively sophisticated one couldn't say the same for the dining experience. A couple of years ago there were major changes in leadership and direction here. Now, we look forward to dining at the Gelston. The service is attentive and will certainly get you to your show on time. The variety and quality of food and even the wine list have been thoughtfully upgraded. This is still not a destination restaurant, but if you find yourself in East Haddam or nearby it is a very viable and pleasant choice. Seafood and meat dishes are prepared adeptly.Special Features:
- Great for Brunch, LunchLLGUESVIPDined on 10/31/2014The view of the Connecticut River is worth it, but try the pub bar next door for dinner instead. The main restaurant is a ghost town at night.
- good pricesretiredtravelerVIPDined on 10/26/2014I thought signing up for brunch meant Sunday breakfast might be something special. The have the standard buffet brunch, but you can also order from the regular menu which we did. It is a great location if you are going to a show at Goodspeed which we were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSetemupJoe50Dined on 10/24/2014Have been going here for many years under prior ownership , was always more than pleased. Tried it for our Fiftieth Annvsy. Last week-end , and found it to be BETTER than before , erasing my skepticism. Service was well monitored by owners , and was impeccable. I would recommend this restaurant to any one , for any opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many good things...foodisnotjustfuelVIPDined on 10/24/2014The Gelston House has so many things going for it, including table service, ambiance, proximity to Goodspeed Opera House, basically good food (if not the most exciting) that it's a shame the restaurant's hostess/greeter is as surly as she is. After four visits, we're convinced it's not just about an off-night for her. Each time we've encountered her, she feels to greet us and behaves as if she's doing us a favor by honoring our reservation. Such a shame, as she's the person who makes the first impression when you enter the restaurant.Special Features:
- Gelatin dinnerMarkfDined on 10/9/2014Dinner at around 6 o'clock on a Thursday night in October before a performance at the Goodspeed Opera House. Good food (salmon and asparagus on rice with a sauce) excellent service and good desserts. It was a very pleasant evening. The house wines were acceptable also. I would recommend this place to a friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so foodJackD904Dined on 10/8/2014Service was on the slow side. Good was just average. Nice setting!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Gelston HouseCPF1Dined on 10/5/2014My wife and I enjoyed a quiet evening for dinner. Great views of the CT river. Our waitress was very nice. The dinner was excellent! We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gelston HouseCassieDined on 10/5/2014Three of us went to the Gelston House for lunch before the show at Goodspeed Opera House. It was Sunday, the weather was perfect and the views of the river were spectacular! We found the service extremely slow, however, even allowing for the fact that two of us chose the buffet brunch, and did most of our own serving. After the server took our order, it was an unbelievably long wait for our drinks, The restaurant is so lovely, however, that I recommed it for less crowded times. which consisted of coffee, diet soday, and ice tea, to be delivered. The two of us who chose the buffet could have finished our brunch before the person choosing a lunch selection was served! It is a beautiful location, however!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This is a great restaurant to dine before going to The Goodspeed Opera House. The food is always great.Special Features:
- disappointed with prime rib portiondonnaDined on 9/27/2014Ambiance was very nice, view was spectacular, waitress was wonderful, food was good but portion of the prime rib was a BIG disappointment. Our prime rib was so thin that the meat curled on the edges. I could understand if it was a 15.95 dinner but it was close to the $40.00 range. Maybe if the portion was a good size I would recommend, but I just cannot find it in my heart to recommend the Gelston House, we will not be going back. The Restaurant could have responded to the email that I sent, but you didn't so now I need to voice my opinion.When you go out for prime rib you expect at least a princess cut. Do not skimp on the entrée. Very bad decision on your part. It could have been an awesome night out and an awesome review......Special Features:
- Great food, great location.rbennieVIPDined on 9/24/2014We eat here 3-4 times per year when we go to the Goodspeed Opera House. The view of the Connecticut River are always fantastic but Wednesday evening the sunset took the front seat. Even though the wait staff and kitchen got slammed before the show, they came through on top of everything as usual. I had to compliment the chef because the food just keeps getting better. Never over cooked and when something is not quite right, they quickly resolve the issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic spotLunchBunchDined on 9/21/2014You can't beat the view if the Ct River and the Goodspeed Opera House! Beautiful vistas is all seasons from every seat...outdoor dining great in good weather as well. Menu traditional but good fare reasonably priced. Casual attire acceptable though you might want to kick it up a notch for the dining room in the evening though jacket and tie not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening at the Gelston Housecaliper4444Dined on 9/20/2014Food was wonderful and the view was priceless! It's the it place to go before a play or musical at the Goodspeed Opera House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Dining Experienceluv2dine2VIPDined on 9/20/2014Prior to our first experience at Goodspeed Opera House, my wife and I were excited to experience this, what appeared, to be a historical gem. The service was excellent; however, the food had little to be desired. First of all, there was no drink menu or special drinks to choose from. Second, the salads from the prefixed menu were huge...honestly, too large. They could have been a meal in and of themselves. When the meal arrived, it was not seasoned, cold, and something I would have received from a fast food restaurant. I should have just had a burger at the bar at the Gastropub nearby. I was hoping for a romantic dinner; however, I only had to apologize to my wife for my restaurant choice.
- DelightfulEolsonDined on 9/10/2014We had a terrific meal with great food at a modest price. Great view of the river and literally steps from the Goodspeed opera house. Our waitress was excellent. Very enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new menu.rbennieVIPDined on 9/10/2014They have added a fixed price option and two meat entrees with a port and pomegranate sauce that brings all the best flavors out.Special Features:
- LennyVIPDined on 9/6/2014great dining spot with amazing views of the CT river.......food is very good the have specials. Service is professional and friendly.......real nice dining experience......if plan on dining there consider the goodspeed opera hourse next door for a performance or a nearby river cruiseSpecial Features:
- A lovely viewShashDined on 9/5/2014This is a good place to dine before attending the Goodspeed Opera House. The waitstaff are conscious of getting everyone to their play on time, and service is quick as a result--perhaps a little too quick as my daughter's prime rib, ordered medium, arrived very, very rare. They would have taken it back to the kitchen, but she was afraid she wouldn't have time to eat it. There is only one unisex bathroom on the first floor, and of course, there was a line. The other choice was to go up and down a very steep old staircase--not exactly ideal for the disabled.Special Features:
- Before Theater DinnerPeterDined on 9/3/2014We had dinner before going to see show at Goodspeed. Waitress was just attentive enough. Food was very good although somewhat pricey. Would definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks to Jim and MikeLenoxVIPDined on 8/31/2014Sunday lunch before a show--gorgeous setting and nice to have a menu with real choices, not just a buffet brunch option. Was seated but no server came over for quite a perid of time. Caught the eye of Jim who had seated us and swiftly Mike ably covered our table, which was not his, allowing us to enjoy and make the curatin time. Salads were fine and fish tacos & cod were very good. Salmon was tasty but overcooked. Would return again.Special Features:
- FirsttimerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Close to the Goodspeed Opera House. Wonderful food and service and the view is exceptional. Looks like a Currier and Ives painting. Highly recommended; although, it can be crowded on show nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go only if no wedding scheduledHols10VIPDined on 8/29/2014this is a great spot if they do not have a wedding going on. Check first before making that reservation as they can not handle both open dinning and a wedding at the same time. Great spot if you are going to Goodspeed.Special Features:
- Greatly ImprovedPatientSrDined on 8/28/2014We were turned off by the Gelston House a few years back, but enjoyed this visit very much. The food was excellent and the service was very good. My only gripe was the very close seating. We prefer a little more privacy. Being right next door to the Goodspeed Opera House makes this a convenient spot for pre-theater dinner, and the wait staff seems very good at gettingpatrons on their way to Goodspeed in time for the opening curtain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 8/28/2014Good, but somewhat overpriced. Limited menu - not good for young children (pre teen)
- Big disappointmentIancrDined on 8/24/2014The Gelston House still looks beautiful and the view of the Connecticut River is unmatched. However the food on the a-la-carte menu was very poor and bland (my generous helping of lobster on the lobster salad entree was flavorless). The breakfast buffet was picked over and there was little left for my son-in-law to eat. To make matters worse, the restaurant had scheduled a baby shower in one half of the restaurant (not in a separate room as is customary) so the noise level was exceedingly high making it impossible to hold a decent conversation. We had out of town guests, so this was very embarrassing. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- beautiful spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014The location alone would be worth the trip, but the food and attentive but not overbearing service combine w/ the beautiful dining room to make this a must goSpecial Features:
- Mediocre at best.Joy2EatDined on 8/21/2014Location optimal for nearby Goodspeed Opera House. Might be a different experience on other than matinee day! The dining room is one large very noisy room. Luckily we were able to sit on the patio with lovely view of the CT river. Menu was extensive but food was quite ordinary. House salad had little else but spinach. Service haphazard.Special Features:
- TerriDined on 8/16/2014As usual the food was good. Our waitress was especially considerate and pleasant. The service was prompt and efficient.Special Features:
- The following 184 reviews are from the The Gelston House reviews archive.
- craigwVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great views, food is average, service is poor. My steak was served room temperature and waitress did not check back for 20 minutes. They were very busy (between shows at Goodspeed on a Sat. nite) but this is the 2nd time this has happened to us. Try it for the views but not if they are busy.
- Gelston House Never Fails To PleaseMediatordonDined on 7/20/2014This was our second time here for lunch before a matinee at the Goodspeed Opera House next door. We were seated at a table overlooking both the Connecticut River and the opera house so things started out wonderfully. Our waittress was attentive and experienced and explained the specials. The drink pours (her wine, my gin) were generous and, while my wife repeated the splendid lobster roll that she had last time, I went for the not-so-dietetic shrimp and crab ravioli in a wonderful cream sauce. Both dishes were superb and it is clear that, although the restaurant could probably coast to an extent just on its location, they take their responsibility to the dining public seriously and turn out consistently excellent meals. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Disappointed!RidgewoodDined on 7/19/2014Last Saturday we called ahead that we would be 10 minutes late for our 6pm reservation, and were told "no problem". However when we got there, we were seated in the very casual patio area instead of the now full main dining room. My husband had a burger with fries, I had a salad and the bill was $125. We both drank water, no alcohol. Very expensive for average casual food. The waiters kept knocking the back of my husband's chair as they went by, and it was very noisy. Our waiter disappeared for long periods of time. Not the experience we anticipated at all!Special Features:
- Great Outdoor diningShopperduck2Dined on 7/18/2014It was a most pleasant experience. Looked like it was 1st come 1st served and anywhere you wanted to sit was ok. May just have been outside. Younger staff member not all that knowledgeable about the menu but could recite daily specials. He was most polite and accommodating however. I will come back and bring friends now that I know what to expect and I can choose to have a different dining experience. Hoping it will get better next time. I'm optimistic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gelston does not dissapoint!LINDACVIPDined on 7/15/2014At 1 p.m. on an overcast Tuesday afternoon, our party of five was the only table inside, with maybe four tables being served on the patio. Perhaps we missed a noon hour crowd? Our waitress was pleasant but wore a rather soiled outfit. Our lunches were delicious - excellent salads, wonderful lobster rolls (twin!) hot and sweet with melted butter on the side. Location is lovely and our three guests enjoyed their first time at The Gelston. It was a pleasant way to wrap up a business meeting.Special Features:
- Can't MissSkivortzDined on 7/10/2014We've been to the Gelston House many times and never been disappointed. On our last visit, as we sat facing the river, it was apparent the setting sun would soon be in our eyes; and the shades by our table were malfunctioning. The host graciously re-seated us. Our waitress was equally personable and attentive. And the food was very good and served promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodNanyDined on 7/1/2014This was our second time there. Great scenic view. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu-Still Bad!RefinedBubbaDined on 6/29/2014Okay, it's my fault for going back because they had a new menu but now I have figured out the problems! It's not the menu! The problems are poor quality food to start with and the kitchen is a poor excuse for a restaurant that is not at all bashful about prices. I ordered the chicken because I figured they could not screw that up. Wrong! The chicken was so tough I had to ask for a steak knife and I still could not eat it! On the other hand the waitress was adorable! Friendly, cordial, timely, professional and I left her a decent tip because I will not be back! I hope she finds a great job when this place shuts down!Special Features:
- Very EnjoyablemickeyDined on 6/28/2014Great service, good menu selection, food was very good.Special Features:
- Silver TravelersPitpatVIPDined on 6/19/2014Would recommend for theater goers as the Goodspeed opera house is next door Indoor ambiance is lovely Outdoor not great but lovely viewI would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnetic AttractionUlysses4VIPDined on 6/18/2014You don't have to be going to a show at Goodspeed Opera House to enjoy a meal at the Gelston House but I suspect that is the reason most people are there. For a long time, proximity and convenience were bigger motivators than the quality of the food and service. For the last few years, however, both have substantially improved. As in the theater district in Manhattan and elsewhere, the restaurant knows you don't want to be late for the show. Their service is friendly and prompt. You can look forward to a well prepared and graciously served meal. There may be more interesting fare further afield, but this is now a nice adjunct to the show next door.Special Features: