The Gelston House
8 Main St.
East Haddam, CT 06423Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Gelston House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://gelstonhouse.com/
- Phone: 8608731411
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: June Shea 8608731411
A word from The Gelston House
Gelston House offers Fine Dining with a spectacular setting with a view of the Connecticut River. Exquisite Cuisine and excellent service. ** Please allow an hour and forty five minutes for pre-theatre reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Gelston House - Best Restaurants in East Haddam ›
The Gelston House reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (55)special occasion (30)great for outdoor dining (28)romantic (23)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (14)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Big disappointmentIancrDined on 8/24/2014The Gelston House still looks beautiful and the view of the Connecticut River is unmatched. However the food on the a-la-carte menu was very poor and bland (my generous helping of lobster on the lobster salad entree was flavorless). The breakfast buffet was picked over and there was little left for my son-in-law to eat. To make matters worse, the restaurant had scheduled a baby shower in one half of the restaurant (not in a separate room as is customary) so the noise level was exceedingly high making it impossible to hold a decent conversation. We had out of town guests, so this was very embarrassing. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- beautiful spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014The location alone would be worth the trip, but the food and attentive but not overbearing service combine w/ the beautiful dining room to make this a must goSpecial Features:
- Mediocre at best.Joy2EatDined on 8/21/2014Location optimal for nearby Goodspeed Opera House. Might be a different experience on other than matinee day! The dining room is one large very noisy room. Luckily we were able to sit on the patio with lovely view of the CT river. Menu was extensive but food was quite ordinary. House salad had little else but spinach. Service haphazard.Special Features:
- TerriDined on 8/16/2014As usual the food was good. Our waitress was especially considerate and pleasant. The service was prompt and efficient.Special Features:
- craigwVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great views, food is average, service is poor. My steak was served room temperature and waitress did not check back for 20 minutes. They were very busy (between shows at Goodspeed on a Sat. nite) but this is the 2nd time this has happened to us. Try it for the views but not if they are busy.
- Gelston House Never Fails To PleaseMediatordonDined on 7/20/2014This was our second time here for lunch before a matinee at the Goodspeed Opera House next door. We were seated at a table overlooking both the Connecticut River and the opera house so things started out wonderfully. Our waittress was attentive and experienced and explained the specials. The drink pours (her wine, my gin) were generous and, while my wife repeated the splendid lobster roll that she had last time, I went for the not-so-dietetic shrimp and crab ravioli in a wonderful cream sauce. Both dishes were superb and it is clear that, although the restaurant could probably coast to an extent just on its location, they take their responsibility to the dining public seriously and turn out consistently excellent meals. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Disappointed!RidgewoodDined on 7/19/2014Last Saturday we called ahead that we would be 10 minutes late for our 6pm reservation, and were told "no problem". However when we got there, we were seated in the very casual patio area instead of the now full main dining room. My husband had a burger with fries, I had a salad and the bill was $125. We both drank water, no alcohol. Very expensive for average casual food. The waiters kept knocking the back of my husband's chair as they went by, and it was very noisy. Our waiter disappeared for long periods of time. Not the experience we anticipated at all!Special Features:
- Great Outdoor diningShopperduck2Dined on 7/18/2014It was a most pleasant experience. Looked like it was 1st come 1st served and anywhere you wanted to sit was ok. May just have been outside. Younger staff member not all that knowledgeable about the menu but could recite daily specials. He was most polite and accommodating however. I will come back and bring friends now that I know what to expect and I can choose to have a different dining experience. Hoping it will get better next time. I'm optimistic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gelston does not dissapoint!LINDACVIPDined on 7/15/2014At 1 p.m. on an overcast Tuesday afternoon, our party of five was the only table inside, with maybe four tables being served on the patio. Perhaps we missed a noon hour crowd? Our waitress was pleasant but wore a rather soiled outfit. Our lunches were delicious - excellent salads, wonderful lobster rolls (twin!) hot and sweet with melted butter on the side. Location is lovely and our three guests enjoyed their first time at The Gelston. It was a pleasant way to wrap up a business meeting.Special Features:
- Can't MissSkivortzDined on 7/10/2014We've been to the Gelston House many times and never been disappointed. On our last visit, as we sat facing the river, it was apparent the setting sun would soon be in our eyes; and the shades by our table were malfunctioning. The host graciously re-seated us. Our waitress was equally personable and attentive. And the food was very good and served promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodNanyDined on 7/1/2014This was our second time there. Great scenic view. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu-Still Bad!RefinedBubbaDined on 6/29/2014Okay, it's my fault for going back because they had a new menu but now I have figured out the problems! It's not the menu! The problems are poor quality food to start with and the kitchen is a poor excuse for a restaurant that is not at all bashful about prices. I ordered the chicken because I figured they could not screw that up. Wrong! The chicken was so tough I had to ask for a steak knife and I still could not eat it! On the other hand the waitress was adorable! Friendly, cordial, timely, professional and I left her a decent tip because I will not be back! I hope she finds a great job when this place shuts down!Special Features:
- Very EnjoyablemickeyDined on 6/28/2014Great service, good menu selection, food was very good.Special Features:
- Silver TravelersPitpatVIPDined on 6/19/2014Would recommend for theater goers as the Goodspeed opera house is next door Indoor ambiance is lovely Outdoor not great but lovely viewI would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnetic AttractionUlysses4Dined on 6/18/2014You don't have to be going to a show at Goodspeed Opera House to enjoy a meal at the Gelston House but I suspect that is the reason most people are there. For a long time, proximity and convenience were bigger motivators than the quality of the food and service. For the last few years, however, both have substantially improved. As in the theater district in Manhattan and elsewhere, the restaurant knows you don't want to be late for the show. Their service is friendly and prompt. You can look forward to a well prepared and graciously served meal. There may be more interesting fare further afield, but this is now a nice adjunct to the show next door.Special Features:
- hawaiiDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I had dinner at the Gelston House this past Saturday prior to seeing a play at the Goodspeed Opera House. The food was very good. The service was not. We waited over an hour to get our dinners, the waitress did not come to our table to explain the wait. We were not offered any additional bread or any form of explanation or apology. I made the reservation for 2 hours prior to the play, thinking that would leave us more than adequate time to enjoy dinner. We ended up rushing through our dinner and did not have time for dessert. I was very disappointed at the service, and although the restaurant is at a beautiful location and the food was very good, I would think twice about returning.Special Features:
- That's a Wrap!janandrickDined on 6/8/2014We always wanted to attend a play at the Goodspeed Theater... and thought how charming to dine at Gelston House, right next door. So we made reservations (to sit by a window overlooking the river) online way in advance. We had no problems being lead to seats near a window and the view was wonderful and beautiful. The food was excellent as well as service and we truly enjoyed our day out at the theater and in dining at Gelston House.Special Features:
- History, family tradition and funLisaKenDined on 6/8/2014I remember how excited my parents were whenever they had the opportunity to attend a musical at Goodspeed accented by dinner at the Gelston House. Because of how much it meant to them, we had to have that same experience. We weren't let down. I studied the artwork depicting the Inn in the 19th century for the longest time, discerning the difference over 100 years makes, yet the Gelston House remains glistening and glamorous over all those generations. With a beautiful yellow rose adorning the table, the green of the riverside park and blue of the Connecticut's waters, we celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary and on a colorful afternoon exquisitely pleasing to the senses that we won't soon be forgetting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkKimMarkKimDined on 6/7/2014the fish that I ordered was not cooked and raw and had to be sent back twice.Special Features:
- BadspeedcharleshickeyDined on 6/7/2014Atehere 15 years ago - terrible. Still terrible - inept service, service blames kitchen, food prep is poor and meals served cold. Go for drink to enjoy view- do not order food.
- BushnellpatDined on 6/5/2014Four of us had dinner before a show at the Goodspeed and left two hours for dinner which was recommended when we made reservations. Service was very slow. We waited a long time for our drinks. Had to ask the host for water refills. The waitress seemed very flustered and just wanted to take our order and move on. Seemed curt when we asked questions. Unfortunately we did not have time for dessert and rushed our coffee after the meal. The food was very good and we would return on a not so busy night. As a waitress myself in my younger days, I know you need to compensate for the dinner rush before a show in order to provide good service. I don't think this was the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Captive AudienceoldbluDined on 5/24/2014One of the greatest overall spots in Ct; it has it all: the river, the Goodspeed, the bridge. Very romantic. But, fine dining, not so much. It was my wife's birthday and I wanted something special. I had a Guienness at the bar, not on tap, from a can, which is OK. But when I asked for a Black and Tan at the table, I was told by the waiter that they couldn't do it? I ordered from the menu: a "aged rib eye steak" only to be told they "were out of rib eyes". They did have the new your strip, slightly overcooked and dry. They took the liberty of cutting it for me? My wife's shrimp scampy was also uninspired. The shrimp was overcooked. I would go back for the beer garden outside and have the lamb burger and a cold beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShellyDined on 5/23/2014Have been going to Gelston house for 35 years each time I go a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014great location but that's all I can say. Food was served cold service was spotty.in comparison to restaurants and stonington price was the same butfood not up to parSpecial Features:
- Always enjoyableGoodfoodDined on 5/22/2014We generally dine here before Goodspeed and always enjoy the food and drinks.Special Features:
- Gorgeous View and Great FoodCTRiverLoverDined on 5/17/2014We’ve been loyal patrons of Goodspeed Opera House for many years and always go out to eat at local restaurants. The on-line open table reservation system makes it easy to get a reservation at Gelston House. When we arrived at the restaurant we were seated promptly and received immediate service for drinks and our meals. The food was excellent and in portions that were just the right size, not too small and not so large that you feel over stuffed. The $35 complete menu that includes soup, salad, main dish and desert was the best value. You can’t beat the view of the river or the ambiance. It was a very pleasant experience, no regrets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Ambience,Service?sgermanmdDined on 5/17/2014We go to the Gelston House 2-3x/yr. At this most recent visit, the food ws excellent as always. Large portion of salmon, well prepared, served hot. The prime rib was also wonderful. My only complaint was the service. Very slow, seemed that our server retired-we did not see her for 10-15 minutes at a stretch. Not that she did not come to our table, she was not present in the dining room. Twice we had to ask someone to go and get her. We were served our salads, completed them, and then a second set of salads (the exact same order) was brought out. We had to ask for the check (after dessert, which was great). This was a theater night, but previously that had 'staffed up'@ for a predicatbly busy evening.Special Features:
- Not on Mother's DayhungryinCTDined on 5/11/2014Had a reservation for 5:30PM, was told we had to wait, got seated 5:45, did not see a server or waitress until about 6:15pm, still took time to get water and a drink menu. Had to ask for bread to keep my child from starving. Bottom line once we ordered food did not start arriving salads etc until 6:45pm. Looks like they way underestimated crowd for mothers day and show traffic from Goodspeed Opera House. Waitress excellent and apologetic, not too sure about managements attitude. Would think this is not unique as they cater to show traffic, so sounds like Mother's Day key variable? Sounds like management failed on forecasting demand and was not equipped to handle. Saw many meals going back for redo. Food once received was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant overwhelmed on holidayDisappointedDined on 5/11/2014The restaurant was completely overwhelmed by turnout on Mother's Day. We were seated 25 minutes after our reservation time, and our food was served 45 minutes later. My partner's meal was undercooked and had to be sent back, which gave us 10 minutes to eat before show time at the adjacent Goodspeed Opera House! Will not go back again on a holiday. Meal would have been good it we didn't have to choke it own. Disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningEat1DrinkDined on 5/11/2014Great atmosphere and good food. The river view is awesome with a dock for boats. Historic splendor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable because I won't go backfly121Dined on 5/11/2014We went for brunch on Sunday. The setting is very nice and the dining room looks out at the CT river. The food was average at best. The omelets made to order were ok, the waffles were soggy, the bacon was very thin, the potatoes dry and over cooked. The carving station had beef that was fine. The salad and sides were ok. The deserts were poor quality. If the brunch had cost $25 I would have posted a better review but at $39 a person it did not even come with juice.Special Features:
- Gracious serviceSmurf45Dined on 5/10/2014One of our group was an hour late, somehow the waiter made all entrees appear at the same time. We were not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special PlaceTerriDined on 5/10/2014Lunch at the Gelston House is a very special event for me and my friends. The service is excellent, the setting is beautiful, and the food is great. We especially enjoyed the crab cakes. I can remember the name of the dessert, but it was a lemony cake and delicious. We will be visiting again in August when we go to see the next play.Special Features:
- Food not as good as the viewluv2eatoutDined on 5/7/2014the view of the Connecticut river was great. The food was not as good. My clam chowder was served luke warm and had to be sent back to be reheated. The cream sauce on the salmon had separated and you could see the butter floating and the salmon was overdone. My companions meal -wedge salad was fresh and entree of swordfish good. Overall menu could stand to be updated perhaps. Many entree choices were forms of burgers -with different toppings -perhaps the kitchen cooks these better. If you are going to the Goodspeed Opera House the location next door is ideal-just be careful what you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-show pub menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Since we waited until after the 6:30pm showing of Damn Yankees, our menu selections came from the pub menu. Nice choices and a bit less expensive. We had lamb shanks which were prepared very nicely. The restaurant was almost empty, most likely because it gets to be 9:00 - 9:30 before dinner is served. One waitress was handling the small number of tables so service was somewhat slow and we had to ask twice for bread or rolls. All in all, it was a positive experience and we will go back the next time at Goodspeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/4/2014We ate in the bar area. They do not do free refills on soda and should change that policy. The location next to Goodspeed is quite convenient. It was crowded and service was on the slow side.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent lunch & fabulous viewMediatordonDined on 5/4/2014Since we were going to see Damn Yankees at the Goodspeed Opera House next door to The Gelston House, that was the logical choice for lunch prior to the matinee. Although we are always a little concerned about the food at places like this, since many bank on their locations to bring in business, we were delighted with every aspect of our lunch. Seated at a table for two overlooking both the Connecticut River and the Opera House, we were very pleased with the fabulous view, our very experienced and helpful waittress, the ambiance (white linen table cloths and a fresh flower in a bud vase), the generous drinks and the food. I had a great burger and fabulous crispy fries and my wife had the fish tacos...all excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually BetterJimBDined on 5/3/2014Let me preface this by saying that The Gelston House we enjoy. We have been there a half dozen times, always before we see a show at the Goodspeed. You can't beat the location, it has a great view and is right across the street from the theater. That having been said, we were both disappointed with the food on this visit. I had the oysters, wedge salad and the bone-in sirloin. The wedge was great and the oysters were fine. I ordered my steak medium rare and it came out on the far side of well done. In addition, for $40+ price tag I would expect a much better quality piece. I don't mind spending real money on a steak but this didn't cut it. My wife ordered the Salmon and it was mushy. Our waitress, while clearly new, was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gelson House DiningOldLymeResidentDined on 5/1/2014Gelson House is a most wonderful dining experience on the Connecticut River, whether you eat there prior to attending a Goodspeed Opera House performance next door, after taking a scenic Connecticut River cruise, or just want a scenic view of the Connecticut River while dining in a romantic, private setting. The food and wine selections are outstanding, prepared well, and leave you satiated and happy. What more could you want in a dining experience?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 149 reviews are from the The Gelston House reviews archive.
- Good food and great views.rbennieDined on 4/16/2014The food is always very good. Had a steak last night and it was good just the way I requested and was a great cut. Thier house wines are very acceptable and a good value for the price. The view of the Connecticut River is spectacular no matte what time of year. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.