The Garden Cafe - Grand America Hotel
555 South Main
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Garden Cafe - Grand America Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grandamerica.com/
- Phone: (801) 258-6708
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday–Thursday: 6:30 am – 9:00 pm
Friday & Saturday: 6:30 am – 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Fernando Soberanis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 10 to 120 welcome. Prix Fixe menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Ali Raafati 8012586714x
- Entertainment: Jazz trio every Sunday during brunch, 10:00AM to 2:00PM
A word from The Garden Cafe - Grand America Hotel
The Garden Café is a new American restaurant reflecting the chef's simple yet high quality approach to American cuisine. At the Garden Café, the chefs have created a satisfying and fresh menu of seasonally-inspired fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Garden Cafe - Grand America Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (11)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)neighborhood gem (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Ok food, poor serviceblargleDined on 11/9/2014Been here many times, quality of food continues to go downhill. Service has always been good in the past, but when with a large group where the tip is automatically included the staff stop caring and rarely come by to refill coffee, clear plates, etc. After at least 2 dozen times, will not likely be back.Special Features:
- Seafood not so freshjnebsDined on 10/12/2014This place is very good for a very expensive brunch with fair variety. It targets the average SLC taste. The area ski resorts have better brunches--more interesting food and better taste generally.Special Features:
- Something for every tasteTinaDined on 10/12/2014I would like to say that I cannot agree with whomever wrote that this is one of the top 10 brunches in US. The food selection is great, they even cater to children with a children's Buffett area. Some of the foods were dry as they may have been sitting in the pan too long. The coffee was Luke warm and service was slow. One of my disappointments was there were no table cloths on the tables. I found this to be odd for a very expensive Sunday Brunch. It felt like you were eating at just an ordinary Buffett restaurant , not really special. I will say that the pastry selection was great , I enjoyed the cheesecake.Special Features:
- Very accomdatingflakeman2Dined on 9/27/2014I made a reservation for our anniversary. Not only did the staff remember and wish us a happy anniversary but they also treated us to a special drink that we had loved on our honeymoon the year before! Great service, great food, a little pricey but well worth it for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Experience at a High End HotelKimmieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was surprised how poor the service and the food was for such a high class hotel. The hostess seated my mom and I without menus. When I asked our server, Annabelle, for menus, she replied, "The buffet was what they have to offer." After a disappointing meal, we noticed as we left the restaurant a menu near the hostess stand. We read we had the option to order food from the menu. We will not be returning The Garden Cafe.
- A superb Sunday brunch!!dharmamasterDined on 9/7/2014The brunch at the Grand America Garden Cafe is just the best brunch buffet I ever had so far. Often brunch buffets - given their all-you-can-eat feature - tend to be made of large quantity of average-to-poor quality food, no matter how much you are asked. For 50$ ins Salt Lake City you cannot get a better brunch. And the ambiance is fabulous. If you like to dress-up do it, but we were comfortably and casually dressed and we didn't feel estranged. It si really a great place for Sunday lunch, with great service.Special Features:
- Mr.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014It was perfect to entertain my 95year old lifetime-friend.Special Features:
- Better "Dress" the ParthaterudepeopleDined on 8/17/2014This is a more expensive high end hotel and restaurant and apparently if you don't "dress" the part you are treated accordingly. We had just spent 2 nights in their Executive Suite and when we called down to make a reservation were told we didn't need one. As we arrived that afternoon the extremely RUDE hostess told us she didn't know how long the wait would be since we didn't have a reservation. We waited for a long while then I made the reservation on OpenTable. When we were finally seated the other hostess didn't welcome us or even give us the tour of all the buffet locations (like she so graciously did for EVERYONE else). She just sat us and walked away with no word. We were very disappointed in the way we were treated.Special Features:
- nice place to bring an outoftownergoodutaheatsDined on 8/12/2014I always recommend this restaurant when I have a work colleague from out of town come in for a meeting. It is quiet, there is always seating, displays local Utah style, the food is very good, and the prices are reasonable for nice dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sleepoverDined on 8/9/2014We attended for my granddaughters weekend, it was great fun and very memorable! Everything was perfect.. Loved the harp music, the food and the hot chocolate. Can't wait to go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 118 reviews are from the The Garden Cafe - Grand America Hotel reviews archive.
- Sunday BrunchGooGooGaaGaaDined on 7/6/2014It was our anniversary and we decided to take our time and enjoy Sunday Brunch at the Garden Cafe. The host was excellent and the staff does everything they can to make your meal as perfect as possible.Special Features:
- Don't Spend the MoneyFathersdayDined on 6/15/2014We use to love this place. Quiet, intimate and treated very well. Last few times it has been Overbooked and crowded. Will be looking for another spot for Sunday family dinning. Fathersday, waited 45 minutes with a reservation. Hostess was seating friends in front of us without reservations. I had to complain wich ruined the ambience. Food was so so, very little crab, serving trays were not being kept clean. Felt a lot like we were in a cattle car waiting for a spot to open up at the end of a list.
- beautiful hotel with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014Great food, very affordable, beautiful edifice. Great for our whole family for brunch.Special Features:
- Fun & elegantFuninUTDined on 5/10/2014We took our mom for brunch for mother's day. The ambiance was perfect; elegant decor and comfortable seating. Food was great. Go! You will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Exceptional Service!athloneglDined on 5/4/2014I took my mother for an early mother's day brunch. The brunch menu is exceptional and targeted to all ages - there is a special station for kids. The brunch offerings include all the usual suspects, plus a lovely seafood bar and paella station. The food is well prepared, and delicious - not always an easy feat for a brunch buffet. Our service was exceptional - the type that you expect in high-end restaurants in NY, SF and London. Our waitress handled the Utah liquor restrictions with panache and humor and ensured that the experience was enjoyed by all. She managed several tables, including one large group, and everyone had a most enjoyable experience. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Romantic Valentines DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014I took my boyfriend there for valentines day. They had a nice valentines day inspired menu and everything was delicious. I've been there several times in the past and they have never let me down. For the good quality and ambiance it is a great price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful breakfast buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Our family of 9 had a lovely Saturday breakfast. Great variety, service, and quality for a very reasonable price. We will definitely go back when we are in Salt Lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked the food but I thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I liked the food but I thought it was a little pricey and the valentines day dessert wasn't good and looked cheap. I think the restaurant needs to be updated.Special Features:
- Um........noOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The servers were nice enough, the ambiance was ok, but the tables and chairs looked worn out, like they are from the original opening of the hotel 20+ years ago. The silverware and place setting were first rate. The appetizer was the highlight of the meal, perfectly cooked shrimp in a great sauce. The salad was boring and reminiscent of the cheap salad at Applebys. The entree proved inedible, I actually couldn't finish it, I did however enjoy some McDonald's chicken mcnuggets later tha night (yes, I know what's in them, but I was hungry and it was all that was open). I guess I'm the last to know but I think the secret is out on this place, it was mostly empty on valentines day. They need a new chef and new furniture for me to recommend
- Dramatic improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2014We had not been to The grand America Hotel restaurant for quite a while because we had been disappointed with the food. However we were pleasantly surprised at the dramatic improvement in the menu and quality of the food. We would like to complement the chef for an absolutely outstanding preparation presentation and quality of the food it was fantastic! We called ahead and made a reservation. In the reservation we requested a booth. The only constructive suggestion we would make is that since there were booths available it would've been nice to have been seated where we had requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectSaturdayguestDined on 1/11/2014We go to The Garden Cafe yearly to celebrate birthdays. It never disappoints. The buffet choices are varied and tasteful and the ambiance is so peaceful and light. One recommendation is that a family member has visited on Sunday Brunch days and let us know the choices were much broader and more plentiful and that live music was playing, etc. I wish that would be done on Saturdays as well. Not everyone goes out on Sundays and it would be nice to have the opportunity for the "upgrade" to us. Otherwise, Grand America is always a favorite. We are fortunate to have that lovely hotel in our city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food average decor for old peopleFandBDined on 1/8/20141 waitress for the whole restaurant, not working smart. We were sold on a different menu and then our server mentioned that was not the current menu so we picked again. Food is good but the decor makes you feel you are in a time machine back to early 80's (and that is being nice). Drinks took forever and well the only good part is the little cake shop at the exit.Special Features:
- New Year's funJennyDined on 1/1/2014My husband and I went for the New Year's buffet with our toddler. I loved the food and atmosphere. We were treated very well. I only wish I had more room to enjoy tasting everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need more infogood4meDined on 1/1/2014The food was good but when i called they said it was an enhanced buffet. we arrived 1 hour after they opened but even an hour later they were still setting up some of the stattions. everything was fine they just seemed somewhat disorganized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing New Years Eve dinnerhnd2hrtDined on 12/31/2013We did not care for the set menu. Looked at regular menu on their website, didn't see a New Years Eve Menu. We didn't care for deep fried crab cakes or the Lobster Bisque. My husband's fish was overcooked with little flavor, my Kobi rib-eye steak was tasty, when you got a bite without grissel, but the potato mash was watery. If you like chocolate you would like the dessert, no other choices. Food came out quickly, but then we had to ask for our bill and waited and waited to get it taken care of. Had to ask for water to be refilled. They may have other items on their menu that are good, but I don't think we will go back.
- tenth anniversarymomuv5Dined on 12/28/2013My husband and I went for our tenth anniversary. I think it was a perfect choice. The food was great and we could enjoy each others company. My husband said that it was the best chicken he ever had and I loved the winter squash soup. It was a great night. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of a bummerHeddyDined on 12/24/2013We had 25 people for brunch on Christmas Eve. Six of us were seated in a totally different room. Our reservation was at 10:00 we were seated at appx 10:15 the lunch buffet started at 11:00 food was no longer served after 10:45. We had small kids with us and by the time they were taken care of, there was 15 minutes for the adults to get their food. No one told us we needed to hurry they just shut the doors to the room w/the food. Then started setting up tables for the lunch buffet and setting up the chocolate fountain and desert table. All while our family was sitting there irritated and still hungry. The staff was preoccupied with getting the lunch tables set up. Very disappointing, we will think twice before taking our family there again!
- We were of the understanding1unsatisfieddinerDined on 12/21/2013We were of the understanding that this was the hotels fine dining room versus just a hotel cafe that serves breakfast lunch and dinner. The room was nice enough in a very large impersonal way but not a place to enjoy an intimate evening with friends. The food was strictly mediocre and overpriced for the quality. All the fish ordered by the table was overdone and the flavors bland. We would only go back to the restaurant if we were staying at the hotel and then only for breakfast or lunch.
- Excellent food, excellent serviceSilvCDined on 12/18/2013I've been going to the Garden Cafe for a couple of years now. Well worth the price. I'm a very picky foodie and nothing around really impresses me. The Garden Cafe always does. Never disappoints. Fish cooked perfectly, mix of flavors is wonderful, clean, great services, sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas BrunchKarenVIPDined on 12/15/2013My family went to Grand America for brunch and were very pleased with the service, quality of food, and atmosphere. We heard live music, and we were seated in the garden sun room. We will definitely come to the Grand America again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerteriDined on 12/6/2013We dined last week with another couple. We were First seated by a corner in the middle part of restaurant. We asked to move my the windows. The snow covered trees that are lighted looked beautiful. They were accommodating. It is a gorgeous setting. Our waitress was very charming and very attentive. The food was delish! We chose a steak and a Salmon. The soup and salad were excellent also. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceLarsDined on 12/4/2013Our group of four, enjoyed the whole experience. The food in the buffet was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticChisDined on 10/27/2013Went straight to the seafood bar and gorged on King.Crsb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentMBMattDined on 10/23/2013With nearly silent but smiling service that is never in evidence but always at hand, a menu that changes often enough to pique interest, and, a pleasant brunch offered with complete consistency, I am never less than satisfied when having -once again- gone to The Grand America as a go-to place for another business meeting; a quick working lunch; a bit of people watching, or perhaps a simple exhale in a day. While it's nearly habit to want to try new and different places, The Garden Café keeps pulling one back for yet another visit in which there will be a consistent level of excellence that will do, and, it will do quite nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeadChiteaDined on 10/12/2013No need for reservations this place is dead. Food not bad but not memorable either. My Ahi Tuna had smokey BBQ beef rub on the outside which did not taste good with the raw tuna would have been good otherwise.Special Features:
- Did not disappointMIssouriChristineDined on 10/10/2013The Garden Cafe has a reputation for fine cuisine. Despite some miscues (eg the signature element of the Heart of Palm salad was the weak link--tasteless, seemingly canned, no delicate nutty sweetness--poor match for persimmon bits and pomegranate seeds and quite mild baby arugula). An extensive wine list: I chanced a grenache--at 2011, a tad too young to fulfill the promise of its nose). A tapioca dessert (great concept, flat execution) and a scotch that never arrived (after a 12min wait I was told "we are out"). The masterful treatment of the featured trout made up for these minor missteps. Brown trout perfectly cooked. Simplicity and technical expertise with a tricky fish (fatty yet easily overdone). An expensive evening:worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent althoughPhoebsDined on 9/27/2013The food was excellent although portions were quiet small. A little pricey. Service on the slow side for a rather quiet (not busy) night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never knew how good it was!MrsHotToddyDined on 9/21/2013We've stayed at the Grand America Hotel several times, but for some reason, we've never eaten at the Grand Cafe. We had no idea what we were missing! The food was very, very good -- comparable to the local high-end places we usually dine at, like Ruth's Chris. We'll be sure to come back again, hopefully soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunchPleasedAgainVIPDined on 9/15/2013Over the top, crazy good Sunday brunch. Outstanding atmosphere, premium items from the seafood to meat to desserts. Nothing missing. Stomach wasn't big enough to try everything. It's what Sunday brunch used to be....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantTyenaDined on 9/13/2013A great place to celebrate special occasion. Portions aren't large.Special Features: