15 West 18th
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegandernyc.com/
- Phone: 2122299500x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Schenker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
- Public Transit: The L, Q, N, R, 4, 5, and 6 trains are all located in Union Square. Several entrances can be found throughout the square itself, however the closest to us is at 16th Street and Union Square West.
The F and M trains are located on the corner of 15th Street and 6th Avenue.
The 1 Train is located at 18th Street and 7th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Impark is a public lot located on 17th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. We do not validate parking.
A word from The Gander
The Gander is Chef Jesse Schenker’s new American restaurant located in Manhattan’s Flatiron district. Schenker’s unique and imaginative style of cooking is reflected in his composed charcuteries, house-made pickles, fresh pastas and diverse selection of main dishes. The Gander boasts a deep, international wine program, in addition to a large assortment of spirits, all available at the expansive bar. Diners will enjoy innovative yet approachable cuisine tucked away in a warm and welcoming setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gander reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)neighborhood gem (71)good for groups (67)notable wine list (58)special occasion (55)great for lunch (49)vibrant bar scene (36)hot spot (33)great for brunch (31)romantic (28)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent all aroundFeasterVIPDined on 10/20/2014Another delicious dinner at The Gander. Service is smooth and easy. Food is outstanding. We keep going back.Special Features:
- queenieDined on 10/18/2014Best dishes-- the sweetbread appetizer, the trout tartare. Terrific bartenders. And our waiter was great even tho it was his first night.Special Features:
- Good value2ndtimerVIPDined on 10/17/2014Their 2 course prix fixe lunch menu is very good. Nice selection from the menu and at a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You cannot go wrongLindsaytDined on 10/16/2014Every dish we ordered (brisket tots, trout tartare, duck entree) was amazing! We were full but didn't want to stop. The creme brulee semi freddo is a dessert must.Special Features:
- woodyDined on 10/16/2014Killer wine list in every price range. Knowledgeable sommelier. Octopus Salad, Hamachi crudo, lobster roll, suckling pig highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working out the kinksjenivirgoVIPDined on 10/15/2014Their server-in-training spilled coffee and it splattered on my blouse. To top it off, the dessert for which the coffee was paired was very underwhelming. The lunch was a moderate success with my 3 guests, but the fact that they served salmon in place of the Artic Char listed on the menu and did not mention it, is unacceptable.Special Features:
- creative menu & the price to matchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014its good but a bit pricey. but then again where are you going to find some of the very interesting and creative foods. check the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, But Not RemarkableNYCbruncherVIPDined on 10/12/2014I met my friend at The Gander for an early dinner on a Sunday night. The restaurant was pretty empty and we were really able to take in the ambiance which was nice, but similiar to many other NYC restaurants. Since I prefer vodka, they were able to make me the Rhubard & Rose drink with vodka instead of gin. I had read the Brisket "Tots" were suppose to be delicious, but I must say I was disappointed that they did not live up to the hype. Both my dining companion and I had the Tubetti, Duck Confit, Duck Yolk, Citrus, and Black Pepper Pasta, which was a unique dish, although not as flavorful as it sounds. My experience at The Gander was fine, but nothing special and I'm on the fence as to whether I would return.Special Features:
- A real winner!Robs88VIPDined on 10/12/2014I've been here several times now and it has been consistently excellent. I wish I lived in the neighborhood - it would be my regular haunt!Special Features:
- Food great. Reservations pointless.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2014Made reservations, but then it took at least 45 minutes after we arrived to get seated. Dinner was awesome though!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itFoodieGirlDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I loved our anniversary dinner here. Service was great and everyone made us feel welcome. Food was delicious. First time in a long while that we really enjoyed dining out in NYC. It was worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem, Always FabulousStephanieBVIPDined on 9/24/2014This has become my go-to spot for both business and personal dinners.... The food is consistently outstanding, and now they offer a prix fixe menu that is probably one of the best values in NYC for the quality and range of choices. Service is attentive and warm, without being too much. The host makes sure his guests are well tended to and cared for, and has always made me feel welcomed and 'known,' even though I'm far from a regular. Best kept secret in Flatiron, but willing to share the love so that others can experience this hidden gem.Special Features:
- donnyVIPDined on 9/24/2014The food was pricey, but delicious. Aside from the waitresses attitude,I would recommend this place anytime
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014Beautiful, airy, and open dining room. Friendly service (a bit too familiar, chatty, and intrusive though) and it would have been nice to have been asked if I wanted a refill on my wine before I finished my entree. The food is quite good, if a bit overly manufactured. Portions are small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovecatsDined on 9/18/2014love this new restaurant. Great food and wonderful friendly staff. High on my list of telling others about this gem in the city of restaurants!Special Features:
- cool new placenyclicDined on 9/17/2014Definitely order the buffalo sweetbreads. The branzino was also excellent.Special Features:
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014Dropped by for brunch on Sunday; second or third visit here. Higher end place, not a sports bar, a place to have a talk with friends. Noted that there is room in the front bar with plenty of space for families with kids...or a louder drinking session! Good selection of everything from eggs to sandwiches to main courses, all good sized servings reasonably priced for the higher quality. Service was professional, friendly and knew the menu very well. Drinks were both alcoholic and non-, with wide range of wines, beers and cocktails. Enjoyed the squareroot 225 draft beer (which I never see anywhere else) which washed down a tasty pulled pork sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/10/2014The spaghetti is a must, along with any of the fish selections. The sommelier was only too happy to discuss the various wines and gave us a taste of something he had opened earlier for a staff tasting. Our server was excellent as well. Tables are close together, but noise level was just fine.Special Features:
- Food was OKAY, service too slowsoupbowlVIPDined on 9/10/2014I was here for a weekday business lunch. Food was okay, but nothing noteworthy or memorable. The restaurant was no more than 30% full and the meal took over 2 hours because of the service was so slow. Parker house rolls were great, but for a 3 top, only gave us 2? The waiting over 30 minutes between finishing appetizers and being served the main course is generally bad (unless you are in the Caribbean), but for a business lunch is unacceptable. My salmon entree was a disharmonious bowl of orange- which was visually unappetizing and tasted rather bland. The salmon had a nice sear. Best suited as a neighborhood restaurant for the weekend when you have A LOT of time and no other options.
- Very disappointing brunchvitatenogoVIPDined on 9/6/2014The decor is lovely. The food was so boring and expensive it was absurd! I would never recommend this place for brunch. And, I would personally never go back.
- Great additionHapicmprVIPDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food,service,ambience and of course drinks. A must!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not there yetSarabVIPDined on 9/4/2014Have the brisket tots, a glass of beer at the bar the go home. Very disappointing. Lovely room very pretty, filled with the money types . We had a few tasty appetizersut the main, spaghetti with clams.not good. Nice waitress. But sommelier poured wine on my friend...he really didn't make good on it. Not going back food not up to standard.Special Features:
- Great find!hungry1VIPDined on 9/3/2014Charming, inviting space. Attentive staff. Original take on so many traditional flavors.......original but grounded. LOVED the Chicken Liver Mousse on Crisp Chicken Skin. Everything was a big wow! Not a missed step. Cannot wait to go back and try some other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunchdorifVIPDined on 9/2/2014Buffalo sweetbreads although listed as an appetizer was rich and generous. Also had a wonderful roasted cauliflower with capers and anchovies. My friend had a very good pasta Delightful inexpensive Riesling chosen with the help of the manager rounded off the meal.Special Features:
- PiccolaDined on 8/30/2014The staff were very good, adept and pleasant. No overhasty plate- clearing and no one asked if we were still " working on it". The wine steward was knowledgeable and helpful and engaging and we really enjoyed the fact that there were lots of well- chosen inexpensive wines-- a list like that takes real knowledge to put together and we learned something as well as enjoying the wines. Everyone enjoyed all the food. Four of us shared the brisket tots with drinks in the bar, there were enough to do that, and the corn soup with fois gras and bronzino were both lovely dishes with great complexity of flavor, texture and temperature. The duck breast was also a rave. Perfect portion sizes.Special Features:
- Definitely Returning Soon!JackieLDined on 8/29/2014What a delightful experience we had dining at The Gander. As soon as we walked in, everyone made us feel welcomed and this lasted throughout the entire evening. Jordan was most gracious and so patient with us, not to mention incredibly knowledgeable with the vast wine choices. We opted for the prix fixe which is a fantastic deal. But be forewarned, you will end up bringing food home. We had for starter, sea trout tartare and chilled corn soup; for pasta, spaghetti and clams and casarecci; entree, branzino and duck breast; side, cauliflower and baby carrots (I do not particularly like carrots, but these I chowed down with gusto); dessert, corn cake and sorbet. I honestly love each and every item we had and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodNYCfoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food was top-notch. Very tasty and presented well. Service was excellent and the restaurant interior is very nice. I would highly recommend this restaurant, especially for foodies. Prices were very fair considering quality of the foodSpecial Features:
- Gander requires more than a glance!CenturionVIPDined on 8/23/2014From the moment you're greeted by the maître d, you know your dining experience at Gander will be friendly, warm, welcoming and thoroughly delightful. The service and the attention of the staff is surpassed only by the food. Combinations of ingredients, flavors and textures create a dining experience that's exceptional. And, the variety of smaller plates and larger size entrees allows you to craft a meal that suits both your palate and your appetite. And, the simplicity of the decor creates an ambience that conveys a comfortable, casual & relaxed elegance. You feel as tho your dining in a well appointed dining room of a friend. The entire experience at Gander makes one feel authentically welcome and certainly exceptionally well fed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gander revisitedBebeHDined on 8/18/2014I discovered the Gander during restaurant Week and was thrilled with the food in every way...creative and delicious. This dinner had several misses...notably the porchetta dish was very dry and the peas and carrots in the otherwise yummy fish dish were like eating pebbles with no taste.
- cute placeRhea58VIPDined on 8/16/20143 of us were there for brunch. The deconstructed duck hash was just okay while the chicken sandwich was quite meager & we had to order fries to accompany it. The prices are too high for the scant offerings. However the waitstaff is very professional and the room is quite attractive.Special Features:
- A Good GanderOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014The food, presentation and service was very good. I place to go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful dining room that is spacious, airy, and very comfortable. Great service from check in to table. Food is inventive, but it needs work. Some dishes lack flavor and the portions are ridiculously small.Special Features:
- Great serviceASMADined on 8/13/2014Very nice looking, the service was wonderful, but the food was just so so, too many ingredients, too salty. We had brisket tater tots, which we had to send back they were so salty, calamari salad that was just average, not sure why there were grapes in it, spaghetti with clam sauce which was much better than the appetizers, but still not great, and the corn cake for dessert. It was delicious. Our very sweet waitress added another dessert on the house to make up for the tater tots we sent back. It was a semifreddo with lots of bacon. Not as good as the corn cake, but ok.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2014A minor wait to be seated scored us a roomier table. Classic ingredients with a fresh interpretation were the order of the day. Tasty spaghetti with clams...not your traditional Vongole, my salmon with greens was a tad salty but had a perfect crisp outer layer. Chilled corn soup with crisp gnocci was tasty. Would have liked the gnocci to not be as doughy in flavor but an interestiing interpretation. Reasonably priced wine and our wine selection married well with the flavors of our food selections. Attentive yet not intrusive service rounded out a good dining experience. Thanks for an enjoyable lunch even if it was Restaruant week. We will be back.Special Features:
- Une belle adressediabolo75Dined on 8/12/2014Un beau et bon restaurant à New York - Joli décor+ambiance fancy+une gastronomie de qualité+un service efficace et assez sympathique = un très bon moment !Special Features:
- UniqueCharlesDined on 8/11/2014Unique dishes, e.g., brisket tots, that actually work well. Especially recommend lobster rolls, brisket tots, pasta with three clams, arctic char.Special Features:
- Great ambienceLianor39Dined on 8/10/2014Partly because we were the only ones in the restaurant except for one other couple. Our whole dining experience was quite personal because not one other diner entered the establishment. The service was great, the drinks were very original and the food was good. It was a little expensive but that was due to the drink part of the bill.( the drinks were that good)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKchocolatelushpuppyDined on 8/10/2014We had such high expectations of Gander, especially from Eater's review! We were so disappointed with our meal, well shall I just say it was underwhelming and nothing special or new. The Gander Smash, a cocktail made from fresh peaches and vodka was probably the best thing we tasted at this place.
- The GanderLion26KingVIPDined on 8/8/2014What an innovative Chef they have! Definitely try the Buffalo Sweetbreads! They're to die for. For full write up, go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing, I got an email for the opening dinner; I couldn't make it. But more than happy that I was able to go; the ambience is so good, love the decoration. The food was very good, the presentation even better. Love everything, nothing was wrong in my visit.Special Features: