15 West 18th
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegandernyc.com/
- Phone: 2122299500x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Schenker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
- Public Transit: The L, Q, N, R, 4, 5, and 6 trains are all located in Union Square. Several entrances can be found throughout the square itself, however the closest to us is at 16th Street and Union Square West.
The F and M trains are located on the corner of 15th Street and 6th Avenue.
The 1 Train is located at 18th Street and 7th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Impark is a public lot located on 17th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. We do not validate parking.
A word from The Gander
The Gander is Chef Jesse Schenker’s new American restaurant located in Manhattan’s Flatiron district. Schenker’s unique and imaginative style of cooking is reflected in his composed charcuteries, house-made pickles, fresh pastas and diverse selection of main dishes. The Gander boasts a deep, international wine program, in addition to a large assortment of spirits, all available at the expansive bar. Diners will enjoy innovative yet approachable cuisine tucked away in a warm and welcoming setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gander reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)neighborhood gem (77)good for groups (65)notable wine list (58)special occasion (56)great for lunch (50)great for brunch (39)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (34)romantic (28)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014Dropped by for brunch on Sunday; second or third visit here. Higher end place, not a sports bar, a place to have a talk with friends. Noted that there is room in the front bar with plenty of space for families with kids...or a louder drinking session! Good selection of everything from eggs to sandwiches to main courses, all good sized servings reasonably priced for the higher quality. Service was professional, friendly and knew the menu very well. Drinks were both alcoholic and non-, with wide range of wines, beers and cocktails. Enjoyed the squareroot 225 draft beer (which I never see anywhere else) which washed down a tasty pulled pork sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was OKAY, service too slowsoupbowlVIPDined on 9/10/2014I was here for a weekday business lunch. Food was okay, but nothing noteworthy or memorable. The restaurant was no more than 30% full and the meal took over 2 hours because of the service was so slow. Parker house rolls were great, but for a 3 top, only gave us 2? The waiting over 30 minutes between finishing appetizers and being served the main course is generally bad (unless you are in the Caribbean), but for a business lunch is unacceptable. My salmon entree was a disharmonious bowl of orange- which was visually unappetizing and tasted rather bland. The salmon had a nice sear. Best suited as a neighborhood restaurant for the weekend when you have A LOT of time and no other options.
- Great additionHapicmprVIPDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food,service,ambience and of course drinks. A must!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not there yetSarabVIPDined on 9/4/2014Have the brisket tots, a glass of beer at the bar the go home. Very disappointing. Lovely room very pretty, filled with the money types . We had a few tasty appetizersut the main, spaghetti with clams.not good. Nice waitress. But sommelier poured wine on my friend...he really didn't make good on it. Not going back food not up to standard.Special Features:
- Great find!hungry1VIPDined on 9/3/2014Charming, inviting space. Attentive staff. Original take on so many traditional flavors.......original but grounded. LOVED the Chicken Liver Mousse on Crisp Chicken Skin. Everything was a big wow! Not a missed step. Cannot wait to go back and try some other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunchdorifVIPDined on 9/2/2014Buffalo sweetbreads although listed as an appetizer was rich and generous. Also had a wonderful roasted cauliflower with capers and anchovies. My friend had a very good pasta Delightful inexpensive Riesling chosen with the help of the manager rounded off the meal.Special Features:
- PiccolaDined on 8/30/2014The staff were very good, adept and pleasant. No overhasty plate- clearing and no one asked if we were still " working on it". The wine steward was knowledgeable and helpful and engaging and we really enjoyed the fact that there were lots of well- chosen inexpensive wines-- a list like that takes real knowledge to put together and we learned something as well as enjoying the wines. Everyone enjoyed all the food. Four of us shared the brisket tots with drinks in the bar, there were enough to do that, and the corn soup with fois gras and bronzino were both lovely dishes with great complexity of flavor, texture and temperature. The duck breast was also a rave. Perfect portion sizes.Special Features:
- Definitely Returning Soon!JackieLDined on 8/29/2014What a delightful experience we had dining at The Gander. As soon as we walked in, everyone made us feel welcomed and this lasted throughout the entire evening. Jordan was most gracious and so patient with us, not to mention incredibly knowledgeable with the vast wine choices. We opted for the prix fixe which is a fantastic deal. But be forewarned, you will end up bringing food home. We had for starter, sea trout tartare and chilled corn soup; for pasta, spaghetti and clams and casarecci; entree, branzino and duck breast; side, cauliflower and baby carrots (I do not particularly like carrots, but these I chowed down with gusto); dessert, corn cake and sorbet. I honestly love each and every item we had and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodNYCfoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food was top-notch. Very tasty and presented well. Service was excellent and the restaurant interior is very nice. I would highly recommend this restaurant, especially for foodies. Prices were very fair considering quality of the foodSpecial Features:
- Gander requires more than a glance!CenturionVIPDined on 8/23/2014From the moment you're greeted by the maître d, you know your dining experience at Gander will be friendly, warm, welcoming and thoroughly delightful. The service and the attention of the staff is surpassed only by the food. Combinations of ingredients, flavors and textures create a dining experience that's exceptional. And, the variety of smaller plates and larger size entrees allows you to craft a meal that suits both your palate and your appetite. And, the simplicity of the decor creates an ambience that conveys a comfortable, casual & relaxed elegance. You feel as tho your dining in a well appointed dining room of a friend. The entire experience at Gander makes one feel authentically welcome and certainly exceptionally well fed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gander revisitedBebeHDined on 8/18/2014I discovered the Gander during restaurant Week and was thrilled with the food in every way...creative and delicious. This dinner had several misses...notably the porchetta dish was very dry and the peas and carrots in the otherwise yummy fish dish were like eating pebbles with no taste.
- cute placeRhea58VIPDined on 8/16/20143 of us were there for brunch. The deconstructed duck hash was just okay while the chicken sandwich was quite meager & we had to order fries to accompany it. The prices are too high for the scant offerings. However the waitstaff is very professional and the room is quite attractive.Special Features:
- A Good GanderOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014The food, presentation and service was very good. I place to go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful dining room that is spacious, airy, and very comfortable. Great service from check in to table. Food is inventive, but it needs work. Some dishes lack flavor and the portions are ridiculously small.Special Features:
- Great serviceASMADined on 8/13/2014Very nice looking, the service was wonderful, but the food was just so so, too many ingredients, too salty. We had brisket tater tots, which we had to send back they were so salty, calamari salad that was just average, not sure why there were grapes in it, spaghetti with clam sauce which was much better than the appetizers, but still not great, and the corn cake for dessert. It was delicious. Our very sweet waitress added another dessert on the house to make up for the tater tots we sent back. It was a semifreddo with lots of bacon. Not as good as the corn cake, but ok.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2014A minor wait to be seated scored us a roomier table. Classic ingredients with a fresh interpretation were the order of the day. Tasty spaghetti with clams...not your traditional Vongole, my salmon with greens was a tad salty but had a perfect crisp outer layer. Chilled corn soup with crisp gnocci was tasty. Would have liked the gnocci to not be as doughy in flavor but an interestiing interpretation. Reasonably priced wine and our wine selection married well with the flavors of our food selections. Attentive yet not intrusive service rounded out a good dining experience. Thanks for an enjoyable lunch even if it was Restaruant week. We will be back.Special Features:
- Une belle adressediabolo75Dined on 8/12/2014Un beau et bon restaurant à New York - Joli décor+ambiance fancy+une gastronomie de qualité+un service efficace et assez sympathique = un très bon moment !Special Features:
- UniqueCharlesDined on 8/11/2014Unique dishes, e.g., brisket tots, that actually work well. Especially recommend lobster rolls, brisket tots, pasta with three clams, arctic char.Special Features:
- Great ambienceLianor39Dined on 8/10/2014Partly because we were the only ones in the restaurant except for one other couple. Our whole dining experience was quite personal because not one other diner entered the establishment. The service was great, the drinks were very original and the food was good. It was a little expensive but that was due to the drink part of the bill.( the drinks were that good)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKchocolatelushpuppyDined on 8/10/2014We had such high expectations of Gander, especially from Eater's review! We were so disappointed with our meal, well shall I just say it was underwhelming and nothing special or new. The Gander Smash, a cocktail made from fresh peaches and vodka was probably the best thing we tasted at this place.
- The GanderLion26KingVIPDined on 8/8/2014What an innovative Chef they have! Definitely try the Buffalo Sweetbreads! They're to die for. For full write up, go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing, I got an email for the opening dinner; I couldn't make it. But more than happy that I was able to go; the ambience is so good, love the decoration. The food was very good, the presentation even better. Love everything, nothing was wrong in my visit.Special Features:
- Delightful and deliciousFeasterVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was our second time at The Gander and we will go back for a third and fourth. So friendly at reception and apologies (with an offer of drinks) when there was a slight delay in seating us because it was packed. We had a fabulous time and a truly memorable meal. The brisket tots and the crudo are excellent. The fluke was divine and my dining companion said the suckling pig was cooked to perfection. Buzzy and delicious are a great combination.Special Features:
- Great for lunch!487TDined on 8/7/2014I like The Gander, this was my second time in a couple of weeks, very nice bar and main room. The service is good not great but they have a great attitude and always with smiles. Menue is not very big but has some very nice things ask about the fried steak balls, a bit heavy but very delicious.Special Features:
- almost perfectjenynyVIPDined on 8/5/2014Beautiful room, loved the lampshade chandeliers. The waiter had an accent that I thought was made up, but he had no attitude and was very helpful. Service all around was very good, prompt but not grabby. The cold sweet corn soup was one of the best things I ever ate, much better than the brisket tots that seem to be the rage here (they were indeed very good, and more than a few in the serving bowl). My tubetti with duck confit was less thrilling. It just didn't taste great, though each individual ingredient seemed ok. My friend's arctic char was cooked perfectly. I would go back, as the entrees I saw on other tables looked very good, and we didn't have dessert which also looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/5/2014Went here for lunch during restaurant week. Although the portions were small, the food was very good. The salmon was perfectly cooked. The service was very attentive. Will definitely go back for drinks and dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced; under-fedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/3/2014Although the food was excellently prepared, the prices were ridiculously high for what was served at brunch. No bread or muffin was included in my $20 egg white omelette. A small, delicious ham and cheese omelette was served with a small arugula salad - That was it.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014I was a bit concerned about the few nagative reviews I read, but always prefer to give a place a chance and judge for myself. Based on my experience at dinner this past Saturday evening, I found the negativity to be completely unfounded. From the moment we walked in we were treated royally, the drinks were great, every aspect of the meal attaractive and delicious, and the service impeccable. The bill came to approximately $250 with tip for 2 (we did the prix fixe) and there was enough to bring home for another meal. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take A GanderJazzManVIPDined on 8/2/2014Very creative cooking, in the style of Union Square Cafe (many former USHG employees work there). Excellent portion size; food is quite rich, but not overwhelming. We had even the roasted white elf mushroom, which was a great vegan dish. Tots were amazing - a meal in themselves. Tubetti was delicious, and deserts were fabulous.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/1/2014Delicious burger and fries and interesting dessertsSpecial Features:
- DisappointedEnjoyAGoodMealDined on 8/1/2014We took advantage of restaurant week to try it out. Compared to other places the portion sizes were on the skimpy side. The pasta entre was appetizer size, the serving of salmon was tiny however well prepared. The description of the food on the menu did not quite match what was served. This is a missed opportunity for The Gander to put their best dishes forward to have people want to return. The service was very attentive and helped to make the experience enjoyable. Would hesitate to go back paying the full price per course - the value for the taste would be hard to swallow.Special Features:
- Hip Happening SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Great attentive service. Spectacular food, especially the brisket tots! Knowledgeable staff on both food and wine! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice lunch2ndtimerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Amazing brisket tots. They pour a healthy portion of wine. Reasonably priced lunch menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014The Gander is another hit restaurant by chef and owner Jessie Schenker. The menu is very interesting and all of the dishes are prepared and served excellently. Everyone at the table ordered the prix fixed dinner and we all agreed that we made a very good choice. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a truly memorable dining experience in a casual trendy setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ninat56Dined on 7/30/2014I am so glad that I chose this restaurant. As soon as we walked in we were greeted and seated with a very enthusiastic hostess. Our waiter was professional and attentive. We selected items from the restaurant week menu. I had the chilled corn soup!, and salmon for my entre. Both were delicious. I will return.Special Features:
- Great new spot in gramercynycdinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014this is a great addition to the neighbourhood. the food was delicious (although the menu relatively small) and the service friendly and attentive. we did the menu which was such a good bargain but way too much food.
- Definitely Take a Gander!LauraRVIPDined on 7/29/2014The Gander is a fantastic addition to the dining scene in Chelsea: excellent food and wine well-served, an inventive menu, generous portions, and a lovely room that is expansive, rather than the typical "bowling alley" generally necessitated by NYC real estate realities. And even if none of that were true, the place would be worth a visit for the Brisket Tots, which I now dream about. Yes, yes, yes.Special Features:
- New- tryFoodienyDined on 7/29/2014It's restaurant week in NYC. My client wanted to try something new. She love th food. It was a little to French for me. The food was fresh.
- TryPeterVIPDined on 7/28/2014The Gander has some tasty options: brisket tots are great, chilled sweet corn soup, crispy calamari salad. the wedge was an odd-looking package and the chicken (as a featured item) came dry. But it was restaurant week and the new staff was charged with a very large lunch crowd. I would try againI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best...PelleGVIPDined on 7/27/2014When the waiter start brunch by saying that the restaurant is out of Bloody Marys and Hash Browns you should be suspicious of overall quality, especially if the restaurant is just quarter full. Small portions, uninspired food and quite expensive....