15 West 18th
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegandernyc.com/
- Phone: 2122299500x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Schenker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
- Public Transit: The L, Q, N, R, 4, 5, and 6 trains are all located in Union Square. Several entrances can be found throughout the square itself, however the closest to us is at 16th Street and Union Square West.
The F and M trains are located on the corner of 15th Street and 6th Avenue.
The 1 Train is located at 18th Street and 7th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Impark is a public lot located on 17th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. We do not validate parking.
A word from The Gander
The Gander is Chef Jesse Schenker’s new American restaurant located in Manhattan’s Flatiron district. Schenker’s unique and imaginative style of cooking is reflected in his composed charcuteries, house-made pickles, fresh pastas and diverse selection of main dishes. The Gander boasts a deep, international wine program, in addition to a large assortment of spirits, all available at the expansive bar. Diners will enjoy innovative yet approachable cuisine tucked away in a warm and welcoming setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gander reviews from OpenTable diners
250 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)neighborhood gem (89)good for groups (68)notable wine list (64)special occasion (59)great for lunch (56)great for brunch (46)hot spot (43)vibrant bar scene (43)romantic (34)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (9)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Food was top-notch. Very tasty and presented well. Service was excellent and the restaurant interior is very nice. I would highly recommend this restaurant, especially for foodies. Prices were very fair considering quality of the foodSpecial Features:
- Gander requires more than a glance!CenturionVIPDined on 8/23/2014From the moment you're greeted by the maître d, you know your dining experience at Gander will be friendly, warm, welcoming and thoroughly delightful. The service and the attention of the staff is surpassed only by the food. Combinations of ingredients, flavors and textures create a dining experience that's exceptional. And, the variety of smaller plates and larger size entrees allows you to craft a meal that suits both your palate and your appetite. And, the simplicity of the decor creates an ambience that conveys a comfortable, casual & relaxed elegance. You feel as tho your dining in a well appointed dining room of a friend. The entire experience at Gander makes one feel authentically welcome and certainly exceptionally well fed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gander revisitedBebeHDined on 8/18/2014I discovered the Gander during restaurant Week and was thrilled with the food in every way...creative and delicious. This dinner had several misses...notably the porchetta dish was very dry and the peas and carrots in the otherwise yummy fish dish were like eating pebbles with no taste.
- cute placeRhea58VIPDined on 8/16/20143 of us were there for brunch. The deconstructed duck hash was just okay while the chicken sandwich was quite meager & we had to order fries to accompany it. The prices are too high for the scant offerings. However the waitstaff is very professional and the room is quite attractive.Special Features:
- A Good GanderOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014The food, presentation and service was very good. I place to go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful dining room that is spacious, airy, and very comfortable. Great service from check in to table. Food is inventive, but it needs work. Some dishes lack flavor and the portions are ridiculously small.Special Features:
- Great serviceASMADined on 8/13/2014Very nice looking, the service was wonderful, but the food was just so so, too many ingredients, too salty. We had brisket tater tots, which we had to send back they were so salty, calamari salad that was just average, not sure why there were grapes in it, spaghetti with clam sauce which was much better than the appetizers, but still not great, and the corn cake for dessert. It was delicious. Our very sweet waitress added another dessert on the house to make up for the tater tots we sent back. It was a semifreddo with lots of bacon. Not as good as the corn cake, but ok.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2014A minor wait to be seated scored us a roomier table. Classic ingredients with a fresh interpretation were the order of the day. Tasty spaghetti with clams...not your traditional Vongole, my salmon with greens was a tad salty but had a perfect crisp outer layer. Chilled corn soup with crisp gnocci was tasty. Would have liked the gnocci to not be as doughy in flavor but an interestiing interpretation. Reasonably priced wine and our wine selection married well with the flavors of our food selections. Attentive yet not intrusive service rounded out a good dining experience. Thanks for an enjoyable lunch even if it was Restaruant week. We will be back.Special Features:
- UniqueCharlesDined on 8/11/2014Unique dishes, e.g., brisket tots, that actually work well. Especially recommend lobster rolls, brisket tots, pasta with three clams, arctic char.Special Features:
- Great ambienceLianor39Dined on 8/10/2014Partly because we were the only ones in the restaurant except for one other couple. Our whole dining experience was quite personal because not one other diner entered the establishment. The service was great, the drinks were very original and the food was good. It was a little expensive but that was due to the drink part of the bill.( the drinks were that good)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKchocolatelushpuppyDined on 8/10/2014We had such high expectations of Gander, especially from Eater's review! We were so disappointed with our meal, well shall I just say it was underwhelming and nothing special or new. The Gander Smash, a cocktail made from fresh peaches and vodka was probably the best thing we tasted at this place.
- The GanderLion26KingVIPDined on 8/8/2014What an innovative Chef they have! Definitely try the Buffalo Sweetbreads! They're to die for. For full write up, go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing, I got an email for the opening dinner; I couldn't make it. But more than happy that I was able to go; the ambience is so good, love the decoration. The food was very good, the presentation even better. Love everything, nothing was wrong in my visit.Special Features:
- Delightful and deliciousFeasterVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was our second time at The Gander and we will go back for a third and fourth. So friendly at reception and apologies (with an offer of drinks) when there was a slight delay in seating us because it was packed. We had a fabulous time and a truly memorable meal. The brisket tots and the crudo are excellent. The fluke was divine and my dining companion said the suckling pig was cooked to perfection. Buzzy and delicious are a great combination.Special Features:
- Great for lunch!487TDined on 8/7/2014I like The Gander, this was my second time in a couple of weeks, very nice bar and main room. The service is good not great but they have a great attitude and always with smiles. Menue is not very big but has some very nice things ask about the fried steak balls, a bit heavy but very delicious.Special Features:
- almost perfectjenynyVIPDined on 8/5/2014Beautiful room, loved the lampshade chandeliers. The waiter had an accent that I thought was made up, but he had no attitude and was very helpful. Service all around was very good, prompt but not grabby. The cold sweet corn soup was one of the best things I ever ate, much better than the brisket tots that seem to be the rage here (they were indeed very good, and more than a few in the serving bowl). My tubetti with duck confit was less thrilling. It just didn't taste great, though each individual ingredient seemed ok. My friend's arctic char was cooked perfectly. I would go back, as the entrees I saw on other tables looked very good, and we didn't have dessert which also looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/5/2014Went here for lunch during restaurant week. Although the portions were small, the food was very good. The salmon was perfectly cooked. The service was very attentive. Will definitely go back for drinks and dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced; under-fedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/3/2014Although the food was excellently prepared, the prices were ridiculously high for what was served at brunch. No bread or muffin was included in my $20 egg white omelette. A small, delicious ham and cheese omelette was served with a small arugula salad - That was it.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014I was a bit concerned about the few nagative reviews I read, but always prefer to give a place a chance and judge for myself. Based on my experience at dinner this past Saturday evening, I found the negativity to be completely unfounded. From the moment we walked in we were treated royally, the drinks were great, every aspect of the meal attaractive and delicious, and the service impeccable. The bill came to approximately $250 with tip for 2 (we did the prix fixe) and there was enough to bring home for another meal. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take A GanderJazzManDined on 8/2/2014Very creative cooking, in the style of Union Square Cafe (many former USHG employees work there). Excellent portion size; food is quite rich, but not overwhelming. We had even the roasted white elf mushroom, which was a great vegan dish. Tots were amazing - a meal in themselves. Tubetti was delicious, and deserts were fabulous.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/1/2014Delicious burger and fries and interesting dessertsSpecial Features:
- DisappointedEnjoyAGoodMealDined on 8/1/2014We took advantage of restaurant week to try it out. Compared to other places the portion sizes were on the skimpy side. The pasta entre was appetizer size, the serving of salmon was tiny however well prepared. The description of the food on the menu did not quite match what was served. This is a missed opportunity for The Gander to put their best dishes forward to have people want to return. The service was very attentive and helped to make the experience enjoyable. Would hesitate to go back paying the full price per course - the value for the taste would be hard to swallow.Special Features:
- Hip Happening SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Great attentive service. Spectacular food, especially the brisket tots! Knowledgeable staff on both food and wine! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice lunch2ndtimerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Amazing brisket tots. They pour a healthy portion of wine. Reasonably priced lunch menu.Special Features:
- ninat56Dined on 7/30/2014I am so glad that I chose this restaurant. As soon as we walked in we were greeted and seated with a very enthusiastic hostess. Our waiter was professional and attentive. We selected items from the restaurant week menu. I had the chilled corn soup!, and salmon for my entre. Both were delicious. I will return.Special Features:
- Great new spot in gramercynycdinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014this is a great addition to the neighbourhood. the food was delicious (although the menu relatively small) and the service friendly and attentive. we did the menu which was such a good bargain but way too much food.
- Definitely Take a Gander!LauraRVIPDined on 7/29/2014The Gander is a fantastic addition to the dining scene in Chelsea: excellent food and wine well-served, an inventive menu, generous portions, and a lovely room that is expansive, rather than the typical "bowling alley" generally necessitated by NYC real estate realities. And even if none of that were true, the place would be worth a visit for the Brisket Tots, which I now dream about. Yes, yes, yes.Special Features:
- New- tryFoodienyDined on 7/29/2014It's restaurant week in NYC. My client wanted to try something new. She love th food. It was a little to French for me. The food was fresh.
- TryPeterVIPDined on 7/28/2014The Gander has some tasty options: brisket tots are great, chilled sweet corn soup, crispy calamari salad. the wedge was an odd-looking package and the chicken (as a featured item) came dry. But it was restaurant week and the new staff was charged with a very large lunch crowd. I would try againI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best...PelleGVIPDined on 7/27/2014When the waiter start brunch by saying that the restaurant is out of Bloody Marys and Hash Browns you should be suspicious of overall quality, especially if the restaurant is just quarter full. Small portions, uninspired food and quite expensive....
- ran out of the duck confit - wtfOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014the menu isn't fully thought through. some very odd combinations, such as a side of asparagus with olives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OilygeorgezDined on 7/27/2014We went for brunch. Everything felt a bit oily/greasy: country fried steak, duck hash, fries.Special Features:
- Mediocre food, nice ambianceJennyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Went to Gander for lunch on Saturday with high hopes of getting a great meal (based on all the reviews I've been reading). My friend and I both ordered the gnochetti, which our server said was "really good". Unfortunately, the dish was completely tasteless. It literally tasted like the chef boiled some pasta and threw it on a plate without putting sauce or even salt on it. I never really return food at restaurants, but I had to in this instance. We ended up ordering chorizo and the country ham omelette after we returned the pasta, and both were mediocre. You can get much better brunch at a few places around the corner for a better price. On the plus side, the side of bangers was tasty and the service was really great.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceKiwicultureDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I dined at an early sitting on a Friday night. We were seated in the corner of the bench seating which was functional and comfortable. We found the decor acceptable and despite the restaurant soon filling up the noise levels were fine. Staff were attentive and friendly all night. There were probably 6-7 staff that we interacted with from welcome on arrival to the sommelier to the table clearing/ wiping guys in between each course. We each had 3courses with drinks and wine. The food was well presented and tasty. We would recommend The Gander as an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked itKimmieVDined on 7/24/2014I did not love the decor upon arriving, looked almost unthoughtful/sterile /cheap, and the bar area loud loud. The dining room was a relief and my table was great cornered booth,get for 2. Still the decor ?? Cheap Scandinavian (whether it is or not). Not romantic /sexy, nor was the crowd dressed up per se. Why don't foodies want to look good when they go out? Great Sommelier. Led us very well and took wonderful care of us. Food was good, tho possibly I ordered things that just did not wow me and am betting many dishes were more fantastic than ours. I could eat the Brisket Tots every day, tho one should not. I would def go back again, everyone was very hospitable. Our server on top of her game, and there just the right amount of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014What a great meal we had at The Gander. We came for Restaurant Week and could not have been happier. The selection was interesting and the food was perfect. Adored the brisket tots as well as the spaghetti and clams. Service was good and the house manager was attentive and seemed to genuinely care about our experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014The restaurant was seriously understaffed. As far as we could tell there was just one waitress serving nearly the entire back room. Both the bartender and waitress were joyless and unsmiling. The waitress was constantly distracted by other tables while taking our order and all special requests for things like olive oil and salt were promptly forgotten and required numerous follow ups with the busboys who were incongruously plentiful. Although the food was great, will not return because of the abysmal service.
- Disappointing service and expensiveJK75VIPDined on 7/22/2014Restaurant feels nice and well decorated, food was interesting and well prepared, although portions were less than generous given the price point for the meal. The facet that detracted most from the experience was the service - plenty of wait staff around, and the restaurant was probably less than a third full when we arrived, but still took about 20-25 minutes to even get a drink let alone order food. Waitress was either absent or awkwardly in your face. Only way to get another glass of wine was to actively wave over the sommellier. Food was good - but at that price point the service has to match, and with the number of alternatives in the area, highly unlikely we would bother returning.
- Inexplicable drop-off in serviceBito13VIPDined on 7/21/2014Went to The Gander recently and loved the food. Initially, the service was great too, but then dropped off. The wait between our starters and entrees was ridiculous, and then it took 20 minutes to get our check after we asked for it. Hopefully these issues are resolved because we loved the food, ambience, etc.Special Features:
- Wonderful!FeasterVIPDined on 7/21/2014We had a fabulous time here. Delicious food. Excellent service. No background music so the acoustics make it possible to have a conversation. We were a large group and everyone raved about their meals. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.