3005 Shull's Mill Road
Boone, NC 28607Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gamekeeper-nc.com/
- Phone: 8289637400x
- Hours of Operation:
Nov. 1 - Apr. 30
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
May 1 - Oct.31:
Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Dec. 26 - Dec. 31
Bar opens at 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Ken Gordon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a private dining room that very comfortably seats 25 guests.
But we also love to cater and we have the perfect spot for larger groups. The Gk is partnering with Camp Sky Ranch Events. Together we are thrilled to offer you the perfect venue and fare to treat your guests to the ultimate modern mountain event.
- Private Party Facilities: The rustic feel of Camp Sky Ranch paired with our chefs seasonal Appalachian flavors brings class and comfort to the table. The dining hall with it's stone fireplace is large yet cozy. Across the groomed pasture (perfect for a big tent) is an open air chapel set beside a babbling brook.
A valley unto itself, Camp Sky Ranch is the perfect place for your favorite people to come together and enjoy an event that will remain amongst their fondest memories.
- Private Party Contact: Wendy Gordon (828) 963-7400x
- Special Events: Please visit Camp Sky Ranch Events for a taste of what we do. http://www.campskyranchevents.com/
Email Wendy Gordon to see if your preferred date is available. She'll gladly call you back when it's convenient for you to go over the details.
You'll probably want to go ahead and set up a time to see this beautiful spot. It's truly the stuff dreams are made of.
A word from The Gamekeeper
You haven't fully experienced the Blowing Rock, NC region until you've dined at The Gamekeeper. It's a true gourmet restaurant, with an engaging blend of upscale elegance and mountain charm. Famous for an evolving menu that blends the traditional with the exotic, The Gamekeeper features a selection of perfectly prepared game, plus a range of continental and American entrees. Acclaimed chef Ken Gordon and wife Wendy are owners who bring tremendous warmth and skill to the table, treating you more as friends than guests. You'll experience a meal to remember that includes fine wines, decadent desserts and a generous serving of personal attention. You'll leave happy and impressed' with a desire to return soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Gamekeeper - Best Restaurants in Boone ›
The Gamekeeper reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (102)fit for foodies (94)romantic (82)scenic view (82)notable wine list (49)great for outdoor dining (39)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (27)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great experience overallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food was outstanding, service was helpful and prompt. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, love to see all the local product getting utilized by Chef Ken, meats, produce, micro greens...beautiful. Our waitress was knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Everything!BWilsonDined on 10/25/2014Chris and The Gamekeeper are amazing! I brought my parents for their anniversary and Dad's birthday. They put tastefully done confetti on the table, reserved the most perfect table, and printed menus without prices per my request. Jennifer provided phenomenal service. And as always, the food was amazing! Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summed Up in One Word, "Meh"OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014We had really high hopes for The Gamekeeper based on recommendations and online reviews. Unfortunately, it did not live up to those expectations in either food or service. Was it horrible, no. Was it great, no. It was a solid "ok" on the rating scale. Our server was not able to answer simple menu questions, and did not seem eager to try and get the answers. My beef tenderloin was good, but my husband's dinner came out cold. With all the excellent dining choices in Blowing Rock/Boone, we will not be back.
- Fabulous!TandKDined on 10/24/2014We went to The Gamekeeper to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Everything from the service, the setting, and the food was perfect. We are still raving about the food! We had the grilled meat sampler for an appetizer which was incredible. I had the elk rack chop and my husband chose the ostrich fan filet. Both were unbelievable and absolutely delicious! Noel was our server and she was very helpful, attentive, and made sure we had everything we needed. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014excellent food preparation, blending of flavors was exceptional. Everything was done to perfectionSpecial Features:
- A fabulous night...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014...capping a breath taking ride to the restaurant. Worth a trip to the mountains in itself! They treated us like old friends returning (we mentioned we had been there before in the reservation), and went out of their way to get us a fabulous table. Terrific service and wonderful, special, food.Special Features:
- Great AgainoldcarsDined on 10/22/2014Menu items are always special and unique in addition to being especially tasty. Always a treat to dine here when visiting Blowing Rock. Quality of food and level of service are among the best anyone can experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/19/2014Every time I have visited the area we have invited guests to The Gamekeeper. The atmosphere is good and the views are nice, assuming you have an early dinner. After I made the reservations I was in Blowing Rock and I overheard two prominent local people talking about restaurants and one was clearly a "foodie." He said he was very disappointed the last time he went to The Gamekeeper. Of course I was shocked but hopeful he just experienced a bad night. My guests came up from Charlotte so I was relieved that the food was in fact good. Our server was also nice but the main problem was the reluctance to do basic substitutions of sides. This is a FUNDAMENTAL SERVICE ISSUE and one that may prevent me from selecting this restaurant again.
- Price increase alertOneofourfavsDined on 10/18/2014Gamekeeper has been a staple in our annual trip to the mountains. We enjoyed the experience yet again this year, but were very surprised at how much the prices increased from last year. I have always ordered the ostrich, but the $50+ price tag steered me in a different direction this year. The food is always good and this time I enjoyed the duck gnochi appetizer and the bread pudding, as always. However, it was disheartening to go to a restaurant with $50+ entrees and some diners are in camo sweatshirts and tennis shoes. The two just don't seem to go together. If you're going to charge these prices for a meal, it seems that you would want the entire experience to be top notch, which is what I've experienced in the past.
- Extremely pleasehappyDined on 10/18/2014As always the game keeper was excellent! They never disappoint and if you are ever in the area this is MUST dine at establishment. No other place around the area serves this quality of food and the service is always consistant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gamekeeper did not disappointRandoloDined on 10/18/2014It has been several years since I was at the Gamekeeper. Went back for old times sake with a friend, and was outstanding. The place was packed with leaf lovers and Festival folks. Dinner did not disappoint, the service was very good. I ordered the Elk hanging rib, outstanding. My salad was so-so, but my date's grilled Escarole salad was very good.Special Features:
- Simply one of the best in the areaElleDined on 10/16/2014Second year enjoying Gamekeeper and once again we were amazed. View and dining experience left nothing to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CONFIT?fishwhispererDined on 10/16/2014The G K has maintained consistent quality of food/service each of my 2 visits in May and Oct., 2014. Our reservations for 4 happened to be on Thursday evening and the G K was promoting half price wine from a select wine list, We chose a nice smooth 2012 Pinot Noir by Le Crema. Each of the 4 of us ordered differently with starters of Pumpkin w/ roasted parsnip soup, Conch/Crayfish fritters and Salads. Entrees included Triple Tail Encrusted fish, similarly Encrusted Trout, Rabbit Confit and my Elk. All of the fare was very nice on the palate. That said our Rabbit Confit diner was mildly disappointed in the portion size..... it WAS visibly small by 1/3 of what that particular severing should have been. Catch and Release, fishSpecial Features:
- EXO50Dined on 10/16/2014All of the food had wonderful flavors. The bison and the wild boar were not new to me( I have cooked them on my on) but the preperation, presentation, and the side attrractions were great. The python appetizer was new and a great suprise. The only negative was the extreme chewiness of the wild boar. The service and the ambience only helped to make the night special.Special Features:
- Can't handle a crowdJPP1995Dined on 10/15/2014When the manager tells after being seated that a large party booked the main dining room get ready to wait! Our reservation was at 600 pm and our food arrived at the table at 7:15 pm. The portions were unusually small on the fish dish and we were told that because of the large party the kitchen was "rationing" so they will have enough to serve the "main" party in the dining room. Manager should have instead told us not to make a reservation instead of having this type of service and portion issues for its local and regular customers. The food is delicious - no question. But for the price and for the quantity of it -- a major disappointment.Special Features:
- Great selection of game meatsHunterDined on 10/11/2014The Gamekeeper keeps its menu eponymous with a great selection of local (where applicable) wild meats. The appetizers are varied, but simple. I started with a shared portion of the mixed game grill. The plate was not dressed or plated perfectly, but the meats were very tasty and the portions large. The entrees were on the same par as the appetizers, well varied but overall simple. I had (3) quite delicious wild boar rib chops, which came out cut like a lamb rib chop, and was just as tasty on the bone. Overall, I'd say that most of your money goes towards supporting wild, local and organic game meat, with plating, cooking methods and alimentaire couture coming secondary. Service was pretty outstanding. If you can afford it, then go!
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The atmosphere was very inviting. The service was good, the food was very good. Unusual menu and pricy, but for a VERY special occasion I think it is a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special!CltFoodieDined on 10/10/2014A refreshingly different sort of restaurant. It's nestled along a remote winding road just next to Blowing Rock, but it's actually not far away from the action. Only took about 10 minutes from Mainstreet Blowing Rock. The food is extremely fresh and unique- lots of wild game like Bison and Elk, but they also offer fantastic and delicious veggie options as well as fish. I had the fish and my friend had the Elk. Both were outstanding as were the accompaniments. It's a must-visit place if you are ever in the area. FYI service is top notch and the drinks are top shelf and creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GameKeeperOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Scenic, Rustic atmosphere! Great place for special occasions. Food was excellent, service great and food delicious. Special game dishes were worth trying!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedSuSuDined on 10/10/2014Every time we have visited at The Gamekeeper, we have always had a pleasant experience. This time was no exception: Food was expertly prepared and attractively served. Our waiter provided excellent service along with recommendations on the menu. The Gamekeeper is certainly at the top of our list of High Country restaurants, continuing to offer a unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find!BillTDined on 10/8/2014The food was exceptional. We had the wild boar, rabbit ravioli, and the trout. Jessica, our server, was great! Little disappointed they were out of stout or porter to accompany my meal, but i enjoyed an alternative. We will return when back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014We have wanted to try The Gamekeeper for years ANC finally made it happen. The service was fantastic and the food was extraordinary. We were beyond pleased!Special Features:
- disappointedkwestjnpDined on 10/5/2014we were excited to find the gamekeeper a few years ago. it is in a beautiful setting, the bar is funky chic, the deck is great, the staff is nice and the food was superb. and that's where the disappointment comes...the menu has become limited and drab, heavy and over done and they seem to have lost their artistry.Special Features:
- ChangedSarasotasteve1Dined on 10/4/2014Unfortunately, the Gamekeeper used to be our favorite restaurant in Boone. It still is gorgeous and the service is top notch. However, it is now pricier, and our food was pretty good, but not up to the standards of a few years ago.Special Features:
- Gamekeeperfoodie54Dined on 10/3/2014The best restaurant in western North Carolina! Great food, service and ambience. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super nice!gandsDined on 10/3/2014excellent game meats. overall exceptional meal and will be again this week while in town.Special Features:
- DinnercitygirlDined on 10/1/2014Although there were only 6 other diners, food was lukewarm on arrival. They were out of the wine selected from menu. Gnats plagued us during the entire meal. Waitress provided inconsistent attention to our needs. I probably will not return.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulSCH0890Dined on 10/1/2014We love to dine at the Gamekeeper. The constantly changing menu will always let you try something new and different every time you come to eat. Thank God that the Bread Pudding is always on the menu - it is a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Not GreatCarolinaGirlVIPDined on 9/27/2014We dine at the Gamekeeper a few times annually and have always felt it was one of our favorite higher-end choices. While expensive, we didn't mind the prices because the experience was superb. Recently we took house guest for what we hoped was a WOW! dinner. The food was good not great. The salads and corn chowder were highlights. The entrees were a disappointment. The trout served with greens was overlooked and the greens had grit in them. Both of our guests had the trout and commented on the gritty sides! Our waitress was very good, knowledgeable and helpful, though as the restaurant filled up, we saw less and less of her. A once grand dame of high country has settled into a familiar old lady. I'm hoping it was just an off night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with FriendsluvmtnsDined on 9/27/2014For all 8 of us it was our first time to Gamekeeper. We all agreed that the food and service was absolutely superb. I will definitely return...soon.Special Features:
- What a great dinnerMikeMaryNCDined on 9/26/2014Still excellent! Ate there years ago and finally had the chance to go again. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Gamekeeper is one of our favorite restaurants in the high country area around Boone and Blowing Rock, NC. The food and service is outstanding and the ambiance is intimate an charming.Special Features:
- Lovely Experience Once AgainPooka19Dined on 9/19/2014Our second visit to The Gamekeeper was just as enjoyable as the first. The restaurant is set in a wonderful location surrounded by woods with a magnificent view of the mountains. We were given our choice of seating once we arrived and selected a table with a window view. The service was on point with our server being very attentive and helpful with food selections. The started with one of the salad selections, nothing too outstanding but a good start to the meal. For entrees I chose the bison ribeye and my wife the trout. The ribeye was extremely flavorful and tender, albeit on the small side for the price ($38). My wife thoroughly enjoyed the trout, and the side dishes were great. All in all an enjoyable experience, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We were disappointed in the sea bass. The vegetable was a mixture of several things mainly collards which were very tough. The service was not great. We expected valet parking and non available as usual. When we asked about it, the hostess said not enough people that night to have it! Our server did not bring lemon with the water as requested, when bread was gone did not offer to replace it, and did not seem that interested in helping us. Overall, we were disappointed and will probably not go back.Special Features:
- Fine DiningGreatElkDined on 9/18/2014We found the Gamekeeper to be a great experience, very friendly and helpful staff, GREAT food, great view. Clean quiet romantic environment. A place I will return to and have been telling my friends about.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it, not what it used to beJoinerDined on 9/13/2014We had our rehearsal dinner here 11 years ago and it was incredible. Food, service and ambiance were excellent. We came back for our anniversary and it's not quite what it used to be. We were seated at a "special" table (it had celebratory confetti) but it was right under a spotlight which was way too bright. We were also seated next to a very loud table. It just didn't feel "intimate" and romantic which is what we were hoping for. The server was great, appearing at just the right times and answered all of our questions. My escarole salad was so tough I couldn't cut through it with the butter knife. My pheasant entree was overcooked and my risotto was undercooked. Overall we enjoyed it but will find another anniversary spot for next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!GloryVIPDined on 9/13/2014Upon arrival we were told that they did not have our reservation. However, that same afternoon they called us to confirm that we wanted outdoor dining. When the 6 of us arrived (on time) we were greeted with an annoyed hostess. Three of us were interested in the Vegetarian Plate listed on the menu. When we asked what the vegetable would be the server said she could not tell us because it was the Chef's choice. We asked if she could find out and she said NO (rather abruptly) and said the chef wouldn't tell her anyway. So how do you know what you are ordering??????????? The food was fair, ambience nice, but the attitude of the employees leaves a lot to be desired. We won't be going back, nor will the other two couples.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealSandraDined on 9/11/2014The food was excellent and the service great. They handled my special request - to prepare the vegetarian plate without butter graciously and deliciously. All of us enjoyed our meal and look forward to going back. Great variety on the menu and it changes frequently with whatever is fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Anniversary Dinner!!FoodloveDined on 9/6/2014Delicious dinner from beginning to end! Electic menu with items like Elk and Bison! Small old house with great views an ambiance! Would highly recommend for a special night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.