3005 Shull's Mill Road
Boone, NC 28607Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gamekeeper-nc.com/
- Phone: 8289637400x
- Hours of Operation:
Nov. 1 - Apr. 30
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
May 1 - Oct.31:
Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Dec. 26 - Dec. 31
Bar opens at 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Ken Gordon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a private dining room that very comfortably seats 25 guests.
But we also love to cater and we have the perfect spot for larger groups. The Gk is partnering with Camp Sky Ranch Events. Together we are thrilled to offer you the perfect venue and fare to treat your guests to the ultimate modern mountain event.
- Private Party Facilities: The rustic feel of Camp Sky Ranch paired with our chefs seasonal Appalachian flavors brings class and comfort to the table. The dining hall with it's stone fireplace is large yet cozy. Across the groomed pasture (perfect for a big tent) is an open air chapel set beside a babbling brook.
A valley unto itself, Camp Sky Ranch is the perfect place for your favorite people to come together and enjoy an event that will remain amongst their fondest memories.
- Private Party Contact: Wendy Gordon (828) 963-7400x
- Special Events: Please visit Camp Sky Ranch Events for a taste of what we do. http://www.campskyranchevents.com/
Email Wendy Gordon to see if your preferred date is available. She'll gladly call you back when it's convenient for you to go over the details.
You'll probably want to go ahead and set up a time to see this beautiful spot. It's truly the stuff dreams are made of.
A word from The Gamekeeper
You haven't fully experienced the Blowing Rock, NC region until you've dined at The Gamekeeper. It's a true gourmet restaurant, with an engaging blend of upscale elegance and mountain charm. Famous for an evolving menu that blends the traditional with the exotic, The Gamekeeper features a selection of perfectly prepared game, plus a range of continental and American entrees. Acclaimed chef Ken Gordon and wife Wendy are owners who bring tremendous warmth and skill to the table, treating you more as friends than guests. You'll experience a meal to remember that includes fine wines, decadent desserts and a generous serving of personal attention. You'll leave happy and impressed' with a desire to return soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Gamekeeper - Best Restaurants in Boone ›
The Gamekeeper reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (90)scenic view (80)romantic (79)fit for foodies (76)notable wine list (47)great for outdoor dining (46)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (18)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- LauraOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014This was our second time at the Gamekeeper and it continues to be a favorite!Special Features:
- Alternative to Blowing Rock SceneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We spent a few days in blowing rock for Labor Day from our home in Davidson NC. We had heard of the GK but this was the first time we were there. Loved the alternative game opinions. When else would we try Emu or Elk? Loved the than ge of scene in BR and was a perfect evening in the front room overlooking the mountains and forecast.Special Features:
- good, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We had the bison ribeye and the pork chops. Both dishes were beautifully presented, and the bison was medium rare as requested, and delicious. The pork, however was soft and very oink, obviously way underdone. We sent the plate back and they returned a few minutes later, still only partially done. We picked through the pork for some properly cooked pieces, then left a significant portion on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Fantastic wine menu, food , service and scenery. Pricey but worth it. Very knowledgable and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY HAPPY EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014We've had a second home in the Foscoe area for years and have often discussed checking out Gamekeeper, so on a birthday we finally made the decision to try it. We were delighted...from the check-in to the service to the amazing menu and the delicious food, Gamekeeper met every expectation. We were very, very happy with our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular Diner DisappointedGamekeeperFanaticNoLongerDined on 8/23/2014Despite being a regular diner at and a huge fan of the Gamekeeper, I may have made my last trip there this past Saturday night. Ten minutes past our nine o'clock reservation, I ask the hostess for an update and she says it's only nine minutes past our none res and not a big deal, and that she has no way of knowing when our table will be ready. At seventeen minutes past I tell her we are leaving and she just sad bye and she hopes we have a good night. She could have cared less about trying to please us as customers. I also overheard the wait staff discussing a table full of walk ins. I find it rather annoying that they can accommodate walk ins and not those with actually reservations (we were one group of many complaining about the wait.)
- Hosting Clients Hotspot!Great2hostclientsDined on 8/22/2014The Gamekeeper is a great place to host out of town guests that have not visited the Scenic NC mountains. The friendly, welcoming staff places everyone at ease. The ambience is relaxing and the food and wine list are fantastic. Overall the Gamekeeper is incredible experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie4everDined on 8/22/2014We had a wonderful dining experience for our 40th anniversary, even though the rain forced us inside after the first two courses! The staff was very friendly and so personable. They provided for the move inside very graciously. We plan to go back at least a couple of times each year for as long as possible!Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerweluvfoodDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed the Bison and the Duck entrees......both were excellent, and the wine pairing was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsMommaTDined on 8/21/2014Always a pleasure, never disappoints… we continue to celebrate life's precious moments as well as bring guests who are visiting from out of town as a special treat!Special Features:
- visitorDined on 8/21/2014It was recommended for the food; which was extremely high in cost; although dinner was amazing. The grilled veggies were excellent as was the warm potato salad! We had made a reservation and were early; we were not made to wait for that time, we were seated right away.Special Features:
- CindyCanesDined on 8/20/2014The food was great albeit a little expensive....the wait staff were very nice, but seemed very inexperienced....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureTutuDined on 8/16/2014Over the years I have had very good to great meals at the Gamekeeper. This weekend was no exception. The appetizer of game meats was wonderful as was our pheasant entrée. It's never been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative CuisineSmileyDined on 8/15/2014Just trust it. Whatever they recommend, it will be a bouquet of flavors. Classy, creative, and unique. It is a treasure and treat.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsFoodFanDined on 8/9/2014We use any occasion - or non-occasion- to visit GK. Our recent visit was perhaps the best it has ever been: everything about the evening was exceptional. I highly recommend GK....the menu lends itself to allow you to be adventurous or more traditional. In either case, the experience will be favorably memorable. Ken and Wendy are pros at what they do....and we can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- Must go BUT...SkipDined on 8/9/2014First time diners/reviewers for Game Keeper: Really nice experience, we intend to return. Eclectic décor, fab setting on a mountainside, really with it valets, pretty good bar (not up to big city style but okay), wait staff really attentive. Dining partner had beef loin that was superb. My veggies were pretty close to perfect. The BUT: The pork steak is from really lean cut of meat which means it must be undercooked slightly to be chewable. Mine wasn't. It was pretty stiff, almost tough. Tasty but stiff. I'd recommend they switch to medallions of pork tenderloins, much more tender and makes a great presentation. Husband-wife team in kitchen does an overall A job though. Try the chocolate pot-de-crème. Fab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Treat!mishimishiVIPDined on 8/7/2014Such a beautiful location and the food exceeded our expectation! Our server was friendly and attentive. Normally game meats tend to be dry, but theirs are very well executed. They are certainly serious about their foods.Special Features:
- luvGamekeeperDined on 8/7/2014We had an absolutely fabulous evening with our 8 year old granddaughter. She tried all the various wild game and loved all of it!!! She is an only child and is very mature for her age and she loved every minute of her time at The Gamekeeper. The adults enjoyed it as much as the 8 year old!!! It was a memorable time for us as well as a delicious experience. The service was excellent!!!Special Features:
- Not worth the moneysoutherngalDined on 8/2/2014I was shocked at how mediocre the food was. Most dishes consist of grilled meat, some type of starch, and the vegetable of the day. Meat, including the game, was grilled correctly, but the food lacked complexity and imagination. Portions were also on the small side. And the dessert we had was horrible. It was supposed to be chocolate pot de creme, but it tasted and looked like chocolate pudding out of a Jello box The presentation was even worse. The bowl was smushed down into a pile of whipped cream that was an unappetizing shade of gray. It was supposed to be lavender-flavored cream, but really had no taste at all. A few blueberries and peaches were scattered on the plate alongside a dry and flavorless coconut macaroon.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!SteveCDined on 8/2/2014Found this by looking generally on Trip Advisor for good restaurants in Boone to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Location is quite hard to find and the site itself is well 'hidden' up a steep access road. Does not look large or impressive from the outside, but has good number of tables. Food quality was excellent - all locally sourced and seasonal - and the service precise, knowledgeable, and friendly. Do not expect cheap though, prices reflect the care and attention taken to source and prepare the dishes. An indicator of quality is that there are no salt/pepper on the table - the chef is expected to season the dishes properly... We will be returning there when we are in the area again.Special Features:
- LthornburgDined on 7/31/2014This is the third time my husband and I have been to the gamekeeper and brought two first timers with us. We had had a great experience. We each got different entrees and all were very satisfied. We will be back. It is our special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unique ExperienceemlitDined on 7/30/2014I took my wife to The Gamekeeper for her birthday after hearing recommendations. Overall, I'd say it's definitely worth your while if you're willing to spend a bit of money on thoughtfully-prepared game meats in a secluded, outdoorsy environment. The use of ingredients was creative and inspired. While the food was good (not great), both my wife and I would have preferred our main courses a little less rare. The soup, sweet tea (I'll not go to restaurants because of their sweet tea), kale, and bread (it's that good) were high points for me. The overall price was the low. For $100+ for two, the food should wow. The special (but subdued) birthday set-up at the table was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingLovewineDined on 7/26/2014We drive 3 hours and spend the night in Blowing Rock just to eat at The Gamekeeper. Always excellent, this adventure consisted of elk with blue cheese mac an cheese and roasted veggies. My husband had Pheasant grilled with risotto and veggies. The vegetables are always fresh and what is in season. The wine list is excellent. If room for desert don't miss the bread pudding and the rich chocolate cake. A wonderful evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can it be any better?TryagainDined on 7/12/2014We don't eat at the Gamekeeper often but when we do we always leave with the question, can it be any better? We've decided the answer is no. The chefs and staff always make it a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KittyKittyDined on 7/12/2014Good, but very pricey. I had the rabbit which was delicious, but a really small serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014The food at gamekeepers is Fantastic. The service was excellent. The atmosphere is unique. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at its bestHighcountrylocalDined on 7/11/2014Gamekeeper is a true dining experience with a flair. There are always interesting specials and the food is consistently excellent. I have eaten at restaurants all over the country and I have had meals at Gamekeeper that are as good and most of the time better than anywhere else. From the chef to the staff it truly is dining at its best.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceAshevilleTravelerDined on 7/11/2014I live in an area where good food and good restaurants are abundant. Restauranteurs in our area have great imagination and use the finest ingredients, so when going out I have high expectations. The Gamekeeper was enthusiastically recommended by a friend. We had reviewed the menu before we left and were quite excited about going to dinner at the Gamekeeper. The restaurant is a destination place, well off the beaten path. I found the waitstaff to be mediocre, and unfortunately the food the same. Quality of the ingredients was excellent, however attention to detail was lacking. Coupling the quality of the finished plate and the service of the waitstaff; weigh it against the high-end price point, I don't think it was worth it.Special Features:
- Exceptional Dining ExperienceBadFoodHaterDined on 7/11/2014Too often we find gourmet restaurants really offer uncomplicated fare that with even a modest amount of cooking talent can be replicated at home. Not so here--the ingredients were high quality, complex and very fresh and preparation was unique and totally professional, i.e. not something one would even attempt to duplicate at home and certainly it would cost as much just to compile the same quality and quantity of ingredients. Service was professional but not stuffy. Ambience and decor fit perfectly with the locale. A bit off the beaten path but well worth the effort for any foodie or person looking for a unique and special dining experience.Special Features:
- Always a gemKristineVIPDined on 7/10/2014We love the food at The Gamekeeper but it is pricier than a lot of other restaurants, probably due to the "exotic" entrees. We went on a Thursday as wine was 1/2 price; our waitress told us any of the wines were half price but later we were told there was a specific list. Luckily they honored the waitress's error as we had ordered an expensive bottle.Special Features:
- DelightfulLocalLoverDined on 7/9/2014Delicious food, beautiful location and view. The staff was gracious, attentive, and able to provide excellent pairing suggestions. I had the Elk leg with baked blue cheese Mac&Cheese (which was the high point of my meal). Wife had pheasant (which was delicious and well cooked) with spoonbread. The spoonbread was rather bland and completely out-shined by the amazing mac&cheese (frankly should be the side of every dish.)
- Great for Game loversDurhamfoodiesDined on 7/5/2014Our reservation was at 8 but we weren't seated until nearly 8:25 pm. From there, things went downhill. Some items on the menu were sold out, including the entree we wanted. Service was very slow; we had to ask for bread which finally materialized and it took almost 35 minutes for the appetizer to arrive. The entrees (venison & pork) were both delicious and expertly prepared, but the long wait made us restless and by the time they were served, I was almost ready to leave. Our waiter apologized for the kitchen being "slammed", but as this is a reservations only restaurant, the kitchen and staff should be better prepared. Also, the extremely low lighting makes it hard to read the menu. Food is excellent; management needs improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!Asmith19Dined on 7/5/2014We love The Gamekeeper and go there every time we can. The food is fantastic. Amber is our favorite waitress-- always knowledgeable and personable. We have never had a bad experience, and look forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014The Gamekeeper is and has been one of the best places for special occasion dinners.The food always has been culinary excellence and once again did not disappoint.The only reason for not rating outstanding were the portions and price but the experience and cusine are noteworthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Seating; 4th of JulyAnniversaryVIPDined on 7/4/2014I requested a certain table in the restaurant to celebrate the special occasion. I was not only given the table I requested; we also had incredible service, incredible food, and a great time in the quiet, peaceful ambiance of what the Gamekeeper is known to provide. I recommend the wild game mixed grill appatizer for a variety of fresh game meats. You can't go wrong with any of the entrees here; very fresh from the salads to the soup.Special Features:
- Blue Ridge delightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014The Gamekeeper has the most amazing view, the setting was very romantic. The service was always ready and prepared. The food was beautifully prepared and tasted delicious. The Elk, for me, was the highlight of the meal. However, my bride of fifteen years, loved the Chocolate martini.Special Features:
- oldcarsoldcarsDined on 7/2/2014Exceptional food and service. Very unique and interesting menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, a bit overpricedUWP2014Dined on 6/28/2014My wife and I went to the Gamekeeper for the first time for our anniversary, and we were blown away by the creative food, the wonderful drinks and wine, and the prompt and attentive service. We had appetizers, entrees, and desserts, and each selection was delicious, and utterly unique. Our server was prompt but knew not to check on us every two minutes, which gave the meal a very relaxed and enjoyable aspect. The bartenders were also friendly and knew their drinks. Our only complaint was that everything felt a bit overpriced, from $10 cocktails to $45 entrees. I understand that having a wide range of meats on hand has to be expensive, but the prices will keep us from coming back more than once every few years.Special Features:
- locationSandyDined on 6/28/2014lovely location, terrific staff, good food but over priced, and limited wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an ExperienceDavid68VIPDined on 6/28/2014This is our 2nd visit to Gamekeeper and it was a great as before. The view was as nice as the drive up the mountain. Carra was very helpful with her recommendations. We were told that we had the best table in the house. It was a very good size for two and again the view was awesome. My wife had iced tea and I had an excellent Malbec. She had the shrimp appetizer and I had the buttermilk bleu cheese salad. She decided to try the Venison and I went with the Bison. Both were excellent: the taste and the presentation. We had a very leisurely dinner and had room for coffee and dessert. We decided on the bread pudding. It was the perfect ending to an excellent evening. It a must visit if you like game and want a fantastic experience.Special Features: